PDA

View Full Version : W:A 4.0 Beta Update

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10

XxDangerxX
23 Oct 2005, 05:21
Oh. Well, thank you.
You're very welcome.

Hey, I've noticed no-one's given any feedback to my other suggestion. Here it is again:

I have a suggestion:

In the multiplayer screen, next to (or underneath) the buttons: "Save" and "Delete", there should be a button that shows "View Rules" if it sees there is a txt. file with the same name as the scheme in the schemes folder. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the maps and schemes menus run on that (or a similar) premise?

bonz
23 Oct 2005, 12:56
Can you make it so oil drums will explode when using drill on it
deadcode has somewhere asked the question if he should implement it.
i'd have nothing against an option.
but a pneumatic drill shouldn't ignite oil in a drum.
has anyone actually tried that? (in reality) :)
Hey, I've noticed no-one's given any feedback to my other suggestion. Here it is again:
i think deadcode's "scheme comparator" feature will cover that.

XxDangerxX
23 Oct 2005, 22:58
but a pneumatic drill shouldn't ignite oil in a drum.
Neither should a baseball bat. But it does.

i think deadcode's "scheme comparator" feature will cover that.

Huh? What's that?

bonz
23 Oct 2005, 23:17
Neither should a baseball bat. But it does.
oh! right.
perhaps then the drill should do so too.
Huh? What's that?
afaik, it'll alert you if someone hosts a game with non-"standard" scheme settings. like infinite donkeys. :)

Glenn
24 Oct 2005, 03:02
Bonz, what he's talking about is a function that physically tells the rules to the game. Such as for a shopper scheme:

The rules are as follows:

You must always collect a crate before attacking.
Do not attack last place.
Piles are legal, and last place can be attacked if he is in the company of another team.
If a rule is broken, the player must skip his turn, if he does not, then he should be killed regardless of position.

Madmaxquinn
24 Oct 2005, 16:55
Unless the game itself could impose the rule set it is a pointless idea. You are entering the realms of RTFM or in this case "RTF Rules" and people will most likely not read them. Then you also have the issue of having so many non-English speaking players. How do you propose to deal with that?

XxDangerxX
24 Oct 2005, 23:32
Unless the game itself could impose the rule set it is a pointless idea. You are entering the realms of RTFM or in this case "RTF Rules"
Could you rephrase that please?

and people will most likely not read them.
Why not?

Then you also have the issue of having so many non-English speaking players. How do you propose to deal with that?
There's no difference explaining the rules to a non-English speaking player and getting them to read them. Either way, they don't understand and the only way they'll know the rules is if they already know them.

Run
25 Oct 2005, 18:45
Actually Danger's second suggestion is a very good one I think, though not for the reasons he's suggesting.

My Team17 scheme usually deviates from the accepted league scheme, in that I allow rope-knocking, have game-start Mines, random placements, no Worms Selects, and a slow water rise that normally ****es people off. Rather than stating the rules (in this case none) I could utilise such a feature to list the important scheme options for players that might be used to other things.

Djoszee
25 Oct 2005, 19:53
i was thinking...maybe you can implement the rules in the schemefile.

when the game starts, the chatwindow goes down and the explanation of rules will be in the chatwindow. This way every1 will see it, and you can press page up if you know them already

im a genius :)

Run
25 Oct 2005, 19:58
Nah. Better to have it printed in the lobby chat window when they enter the game.

Otherwise that destroys the second feature (the one i mentioned above)

XxDangerxX
25 Oct 2005, 23:01
i was thinking...maybe you can implement the rules in the schemefile.

when the game starts, the chatwindow goes down and the explanation of rules will be in the chatwindow. This way every1 will see it, and you can press page up if you know them already

Nah. Better to have it printed in the lobby chat window when they enter the game.
Run's right. That way, (if you are the host) you can edit them ingame. Seeing it's a text file, there's no unnecessary extra formatting support to program in the game.

im a genius :)
You just keep telling yourself that...

Djoszee
26 Oct 2005, 10:44
Run's right. That way, (if you are the host) you can edit them ingame. Seeing it's a text file, there's no unnecessary extra formatting support to program in the game.

ah, now i see it :) That suggestion is better indeed

You just keep telling yourself that...
I do, everyday :)

ghostspect
26 Oct 2005, 22:51
whats taking so long? how long is this gonna take (generally) another 6 months? another year?

Run
26 Oct 2005, 23:21
What's the rush?

XxDangerxX
26 Oct 2005, 23:38
It's been over 7 months (according to a message on the bottom of a page that is led to by the second link on post #1962). We can only presume he is intently concentrating on the fully customisable hosting. I that is what he's doing, then I would mind waiting all this time. I wouldn't mind at all. And I could even wait another 6 months. It's worth it. And if he isn't, then I say he'd better 'fess up on what he has been doing the whole time...

StiStriker
27 Oct 2005, 03:16
Not sure if anybody knows about this, but it seems if you press escape after a game is over while the awards are loading, it screws up the game... Not sure if there are any variations to that either.

Djoszee
27 Oct 2005, 10:13
Not sure if anybody knows about this, but it seems if you press escape after a game is over while the awards are loading, it screws up the game... Not sure if there are any variations to that either.
yes, a know thing to happen. The game minimises/crashes, and you'll see a big grey block on your desktop

XxDangerxX
27 Oct 2005, 11:18
[BUGFIX] : Okay, here's the deal. Get one of your teams to use Dan's Army.bmp. Then kill a worm of that team. The gravestone has changed!!! I've done everything I can. I've screenshot both the normal colour scheme and the scheme with the darker team colours and used their palettes and changed the indexes accordingly, I've used the weaponspalette.pal and used a purple on that, (and, of course, the first thing I tried was to use a purple the normal MS-Paint palette). Suggestions? Or maybe it's a bug...

Even try the others. They work just fine!

Enyce
27 Oct 2005, 22:03
will this thread ever be locked? :confused:

StiStriker
27 Oct 2005, 22:34
Why would it need to be locked?

ssj9dude2
28 Oct 2005, 20:07
Sorry for asking this I know its annoying and stupid, but when will 4.0 be realesed already its been ages and its driving me insane thinking of how cool it will be. Thank You.

Run
28 Oct 2005, 22:03
but when will 4.0 be realesed already its been ages and its driving me insane thinking of how cool it will be. Thank You.

When it's ready.

That is, literally, the best answer Deadcode can give you.

XxDangerxX
29 Oct 2005, 01:01
Sorry for asking this I know its annoying and stupid, but when will 4.0 be realesed already its been ages and its driving me insane thinking of how cool it will be. Thank You.
Now here's the thing: Put yourself out of your misery and get the latest ßeta 3 update . There will still be countless ßeta 3 updates before we ever get 4.0. maybe even years worth. This is what will happen before we get 4.0:
All the current planned features will need to be implemented. And there are a lot planned that aren't there (and even a lot that aren't planned or implemented (meaning things that are yet to be suggested) that will be in, too).

ssj9dude2
29 Oct 2005, 04:13
Now here's the thing: Put yourself out of your misery and get the latest ßeta 3 update . There will still be countless ßeta 3 updates before we ever get 4.0. maybe even years worth. This is what will happen before we get 4.0:
All the current planned features will need to be implemented. And there are a lot planned that aren't there (and even a lot that aren't planned or implemented (meaning things that are yet to be suggested) that will be in, too).
Years O.O" are you seriouse meh. Why even make this thread its like teasing lol.

SacLamb
29 Oct 2005, 06:21
I still don't think I'll ever see the day that the online ranking system is reimplemented.

of course I still got hope though

Chip
29 Oct 2005, 13:38
So has anyone heard from Deadcode resently?

Or is he going to reamain hidden till one day he jumps out and goes "SUPPRISE" then next installment for the pacth is here.

Run
29 Oct 2005, 13:45
So has anyone heard from Deadcode resently?

Yeah, he posted this morning.

StiStriker
29 Oct 2005, 15:00
Can he post here and give us an idea of where he is at :D... cmonnnnnnnnnnnn

SargeMcCluck
30 Oct 2005, 00:43
Can he post here and give us an idea of where he is at :D... cmonnnnnnnnnnnn

When it's ready.

Maybe that will cause a break for half a day. :|

Again, to enforce:

When it's ready.

And one more time!

When it's ready.

Glenn
30 Oct 2005, 01:45
Again, to enforce:

When it's ready.

And one more time!

When it's ready.

Quoted for large amounts of hilarity and emphesis.

StiStriker
30 Oct 2005, 02:04
Maybe that will cause a break for half a day. :|

Again, to enforce:

And one more time!

Well then it seems you misunderstood my post. I wasn't asking when, I can wait till then. What I was asking, more as a joke, is why can't we get a little info on whats going on, a guesstimate perhaps.

SargeMcCluck
30 Oct 2005, 14:11
Well then it seems you misunderstood my post. I wasn't asking when, I can wait till then. What I was asking, more as a joke, is why can't we get a little info on whats going on, a guesstimate perhaps.

But there is no guesstimate. None on the time, because he doesn't know the progress, because he doesn't know everything that will be *in* 4.0. As such, he can't give an idea of where he is at.

XxDangerxX
5 Nov 2005, 02:25
[BUGFIX] : I've found a bug in the Scales of Justice. When I had the game new (3.0, no extra updates), They would do an algorithm based on the energy of ALL the teams and raise or lower the health bars accordingly. Now they just lower (or raise, if the person who just used it is stupid enough) the bars to the level of the team who just used it.

Deadcode
5 Nov 2005, 13:46
[BUGFIX] : I've found a bug in the Scales of Justice. When I had the game new (3.0, no extra updates), They would do an algorithm based on the energy of ALL the teams and raise or lower the health bars accordingly. Now they just lower (or raise, if the person who just used it is stupid enough) the bars to the level of the team who just used it.The Scales of Justice logic has not changed at all. In the latest public beta, it's exactly the same as it was in 3.0.

However, that logic has a bug, which I have fixed and the fix will be in the next update:

The Scales of Justice included dead allies (team color groups with no remaining worms) when dividing the total worm health by the number of allies to calculate an average. For example, if out of 5 players, 2 had died off, Scales would multiply the total health by 3/5. Another result of this bug was that if at least one ally had died off, and the remaining ones each had one worm with 1 health point, Scales of Justice would kill every worm, drawing the game.

Enyce
5 Nov 2005, 18:40
O Deadcode, i have a bug also......

Ingame, when I try to lower or higher the volume with the bar, my game crashes. I just touch the volume bar ingame and CRASH. Dunno if you already know this.... I'm using the latest patch.

XxDangerxX
6 Nov 2005, 03:27
Hm. That doesn't happen with me, and I have the latest patch too. What're your specs? Mine are:
Windows 98SE
Creative Labs Awe 64 / Sound Blaster
1MB Cirrus Logic 5446 PCI
That's all I can think of that're relevant...

Now DC, could we have an option of best of # rounds instead of first to # rounds? I've known countless instances where I've just had to set it to 1 because of the simple fact that alternative option wasn't there.

bonz
6 Nov 2005, 03:31
Now DC, could we have
post your wishes in the wishlist:
http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=26764

the w:a 4.0 beta update thread is an idea eating moloch! :-/

XxDangerxX
6 Nov 2005, 21:43
Fair enough, but I'm still posting the bugs here. Speaking of which,

[BUGFIX] : That bug's back with the replays. See this replay: I was recreating the good old memories from the demo version except the game used the last map I got from the map editor/loader when it was supposed to use Cars.

EDIT: Can you believe this? I had to .zip it because it exceeded the size limit by .2 of a k. Talk about bad luck, ay!

XxDangerxX
7 Nov 2005, 07:25
[BUGFIX] : In the online host/join screen, whn you select a scheme, even if you haven't altered the screen, although it has the name of the scheme, the joiners only see it as "User defined". This is annoying. Could it be fixed please?

Thanks

Deadcode
7 Nov 2005, 08:57
Please say "[BUG]". "[BUGFIX]" is confusing, because the bugs you described have not yet been fixed.

Also, bug reporting really has nothing to do with this thread.

I was recreating the good old memories from the demo version except the game used the last map I got from the map editor/loader when it was supposed to use Cars.I can reliably recreate this bug by loading a color map, then an instrinsic map. So it should be easy to fix. Thanks for reporting it.[BUGFIX] : In the online host/join screen, whn you select a scheme, even if you haven't altered the screen, although it has the name of the scheme, the joiners only see it as "User defined". This is annoying. Could it be fixed please?That is not a bug. What you're doing is asking for a feature: for scheme names to be communicated across the network.

XxDangerxX
7 Nov 2005, 21:54
But I'm sure we had that "feature" anyway before, didn't we? :-/

Deadcode
7 Nov 2005, 22:08
But I'm sure we had that "feature" anyway before, didn't we? :-/It was never in W:A. Maybe Worms2.

Plutonic
7 Nov 2005, 23:21
It was never in W:A. Maybe Worms2.
You sure?
I can definatly remember having it before....
maybe in v1.0???

Deadcode
8 Nov 2005, 02:00
You sure?
I can definatly remember having it before....
maybe in v1.0???Maybe you're remembering the old league channels. For example, #Team17 showed "1percent" as the name of the scheme.

SacLamb
8 Nov 2005, 06:27
Maybe you're remembering the old league channels. For example, #Team17 showed "1percent" as the name of the scheme.

o0o i remember that :D

Plutonic
13 Nov 2005, 17:57
well yes i remember those.... I think i'm probably just going senile in my old age...

either that or it was in WWP.....

skorpion
13 Nov 2005, 19:01
Which language is used for WA of today. Is it still BLITZ? Actually im a BLITZ3D-Programmer. And so far i know the very first Worms was written in BLITZ. Just wanna know this. Can u awnser that?

Okiesmokie
13 Nov 2005, 19:18
It's probably written in C..

Enyce
13 Nov 2005, 22:14
I bet it was VB6! lmao =/

WetflameG
14 Nov 2005, 21:05
Why are you keeping Batty Ropes from us? The one genuinely cool feature of this new patch, and we don't even have it.

bonz
14 Nov 2005, 21:36
Why are you keeping Batty Ropes from us? The one genuinely cool feature of this new patch, and we don't even have it.
guess what:
everyone already has it. this is a conspiracy.
we all have decided to pick one forum visitor which will not get it. :p

the above was sarcasm.
obviously.

btw, features like win xp/2k compatibility & fixed game crashing bugs are the actual genuinely cool features.
otherwise we (at least myself) couldn't play worms at all. :-/

and frankly, i have only played batty ropes two times offline and must say that it isn't really a worldshaking feature (yet).

Deadcode
15 Nov 2005, 02:39
Why are you keeping Batty Ropes from us? The one genuinely cool feature of this new patch, and we don't even have it.Because currently, the only way to enable Batty Ropes for a game is extremely kludgy. The right way to do it is to create a new scheme format, which contains all the new options I've implemented (Batty Ropes is only one of them).

But creating the new scheme format right means also providing a way to edit it in every detail, which means integrating a text import/export that handles the format in every detail. Adding the options to the frontend would be a waste of time, because I plan on scrapping it and making a new frontend that can be full screen or windowed, and fully resizable.

I don't just want to slap something makeshift together, I want to do it right. That's why I've delayed it so far. But I expect to be ready to implement the new scheme format soon after 3.6.26.4 is released.

CyberShadow
15 Nov 2005, 05:00
But creating the new scheme format right means also providing a way to edit it in every detail, which means integrating a text import/export that handles the format in every detail. Adding the options to the frontend would be a waste of time, because I plan on scrapping it and making a new frontend that can be full screen or windowed, and fully resizable.
Human-readable, forward-compatible, cross-platform formats, like INI-files or XML FTW! Binary configuration formats are for the stone age!

Deadcode
15 Nov 2005, 05:42
Human-readable, forward-compatible, cross-platform formats, like INI-files or XML FTW! Binary configuration formats are for the stone age!I already said I'd design-in integrated text import/export from the get-go. To the user there will be no difference, as the text file format will be opened just like the binary format.

But to make INI or XML the internal, native format, would be horribly inefficient.

CyberShadow
15 Nov 2005, 06:33
But to make INI or XML the internal, native format, would be horribly inefficient.

I don't see how integrating parsing/saving of human-readable formats is so horribly more inefficient than creating a stand-alone utility to do the convertion.

I know that W:A stores (or at least used to store, WWP still does) missions in a human readable format (the .wam files), so please elaborate on the matter :)

Madmaxquinn
15 Nov 2005, 08:37
Why don't you just let the poor chap do his thing? The important thing is he is working on it. Every minute spent here replying to you is time that could be better spent on implementing the features you want. The how and why of how it works is irrelevant, imo.

Is there an ETA for 3.6.26.4? Now that is a question worth asking - once.

Deadcode
15 Nov 2005, 10:59
I don't see how integrating parsing/saving of human-readable formats is so horribly more inefficient than creating a stand-alone utility to do the convertion.I never said it'd be a standalone utility. It'll be integrated into W:A. You'll be able to directly open text-format schemes from within W:A, just like opening binary-format schemes. Saving in text format will be the only slightly more involved thing — you'll right-click the scheme file and "Export As Text" it (except you probably won't even have to do that, since I'll probably make it so you can save as text from within W:A).

And I'll give you a few reasons why a binary native format is better. Some people still have slow connections. A scheme file is something that is sent every time a game is hosted. A human-readable format will never compress as well as a binary format, even in theory — because the strings have to be stored with every copy. In practice it's even worse, because a generic compression algorithm won't understand the patterns in the format.
Schemes have to be embedded in every replay file. To have a copy of the full text format in each replay file would compound the file-size problem, even if compression is used.
Parsing a text format takes a good deal more time than parsing a binary format. Not just because the strings have to be compared against a table (in the best case, a hash table) but because exceptions have to be handled gracefully.Some people have the philosophy that optimization doesn't matter given today's raw processor power and bountiful hard disk space, but I disagree. It all adds up. I've seen some examples of apps built with that non-optimization philosophy, and they're in some cases not only perceptibly slow, but annoyingly slow, even on a modern PC.

P.S. These aren't my only reasons. It simply feels right, and I rely heavily on my intuition when programming.

P.P.S. ETA for 3.6.26.4: sometime this week.

bonz
15 Nov 2005, 14:24
Some people have the philosophy that optimization doesn't matter given today's raw processor power and bountiful hard disk space, but I disagree. It all adds up. I've seen some examples of apps built with that non-optimization philosophy, and they're in some cases not only perceptibly slow, but annoyingly slow, even on a modern PC.
indeed.
the specifications on the back of the w:a box still mention a 100MHz cpu as a minimum.
and not everyone on the whole planet has a brand new computer.

pigleo101
15 Nov 2005, 14:44
YEAH!!!
Where i can get the batty roper?!
ty for..:)
bye

bonz
15 Nov 2005, 15:32
Where i can get the batty roper?!
using google in conjunction with your brain may help. :rolleyes:

SacLamb
15 Nov 2005, 20:11
using google in conjunction with your brain may help. :rolleyes:

YEAH!!!
Where i can get the brain?!
ty for.. :)
bye

(:p )

Run
15 Nov 2005, 20:13
How do i shot web?

Error404
17 Nov 2005, 17:44
P.P.S. ETA for 3.6.26.4: sometime this week
Gaaaaah... the expectation is killing me inside! |><|'

XxDangerxX
17 Nov 2005, 22:05
What's the batty rope?
I asked someone on wormnet when we were about to start a game and he said "You'll see." I never saw.

Also, about my purple grave thing...
I realised I had it on the 'old' colour scheme. It works fine with the alternate colour shades feature.

Run
17 Nov 2005, 22:08
What's the batty rope?

You of all people should know what to do.

Deadcode
18 Nov 2005, 01:51
Also, about my purple grave thing...
I realised I had it on the 'old' colour scheme. It works fine with the alternate colour shades feature.The palettes from custom graves and flags are not inserted into the hardware palette. Rather, W:A matches them to the closest available colors in the sprite palette. The closest thing to purple in old palette is a pastel magenta, but W:A's color matching algorithm is not smart enough to realize that — it weighs the RGB values rather than hue, saturation, lightness, so as a result it matches the purple to red.

Genexi2
18 Nov 2005, 03:04
Which language is used for WA of today. Is it still BLITZ? Actually im a BLITZ3D-Programmer. And so far i know the very first Worms was written in BLITZ. Just wanna know this. Can u awnser that?

It was BlitzBasic on the Amiga that the original Worms was programmed in, and that was before Team17 picked it up to my knowledge.
(B3d user here as well, just haven't touched it in ages)

Anyhow, out of curiosity, if you ever do implement larger maps in the future, by anychance you'll allow them only in the .BIT format? I cant picture how long some of us would have to wait for our clients to download 1mb+ Color PNG maps.

CyberShadow
18 Nov 2005, 10:44
Anyhow, out of curiosity, if you ever do implement larger maps in the future, by anychance you'll allow them only in the .BIT format? I cant picture how long some of us would have to wait for our clients to download 1mb+ Color PNG maps.
How about a map cache instead? A map cache feature has been suggested before (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17545)...

Ciantic
18 Nov 2005, 22:39
How about a map cache instead? A map cache feature has been suggested before (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17545)...

How about vector maps.

That would be huge update, so big that it almost needs a new worms game. Since vector maps would enable, example the realistic bounces and such (since the tanget is known at the hit position). That is quiet shame that there is no worms (2d) which could handle vector maps.

Also vector maps are really small in size. If not use vector maps in live game then send this vector map thru the net and recreate the .BIT from that vector map, it would allow to send even 100000x100000 map thru internet lightning fast.

There is something to think about for Deadcode :)

XxDangerxX
18 Nov 2005, 23:35
How about vector maps.

That would be huge update, so big that it almost needs a new worms game. Since vector maps would enable, example the realistic bounces and such (since the tanget is known at the hit position). That is quiet shame that there is no worms (2d) which could handle vector maps.

Also vector maps are really small in size. If not use vector maps in live game then send this vector map thru the net and recreate the .BIT from that vector map, it would allow to send even 100000x100000 map thru internet lightning fast.

There is something to think about for Deadcode :)
hmm. You express some interesting points. It's an interesting idea...

Ah stuffit! I can't hold it in any longer! That's a ****ing brilliant idea! If only it weren't such a big job as you said...

bonz
18 Nov 2005, 23:35
vector maps.
i bet you could throw the totally destructible landscape into the toilet if you use vector maps...

and have a look at the custom color .png maps of today; they're quite complex to make them vector images.

Deadcode
19 Nov 2005, 02:58
Actually my idea is better than vector maps: it's an idea that would also allow realistic bounces, but would require much less change. Anti-aliased maps.

To calculate a bounce, the algorithm could look at the difference in alpha level of the pixels touched by the sprite, and thus determine the angle on that surface, and use that to calculate the bounce angle.

Error404
19 Nov 2005, 03:00
OMG @ you, DC... :eek:

Toastline
19 Nov 2005, 03:09
Gah, this will be so awesome!
Please don't stop doing cool things, DC.

SacLamb
19 Nov 2005, 07:10
To calculate a bounce, the algorithm could look at the difference in alpha level of the pixels touched by the sprite, and thus determine the angle on that surface, and use that to calculate the bounce angle.

err in english please? btw sounds cool... algorythms are sick I think

tsactuo
19 Nov 2005, 10:43
Hi deadcode congratulations on ur patch work.

I have a question, you said in a previous post that you are going to change the frontend and also make it windowed/minimised, and not only full screen. Is this change in the works, or you just plan to start on it on the future. Because IMO this is the biggest change after the replays.

Ciantic
19 Nov 2005, 10:48
...the algorithm could look at the difference in alpha level of the pixels touched by the sprite, and thus determine the angle on that surface, and use that to calculate the bounce angle.

I'd call that Hack rather than actual resolving of tanget. But yeah, it would be easier to make propably.

i bet you could throw the totally destructible landscape into the toilet if you use vector maps...
and have a look at the custom color .png maps of today; they're quite complex to make them vector images.

Destructible is not hard to create with vector maps, there are known functions that will cut the intersecting pices of the two shapes (explode shape is round and other shape is the ground as we all know). Multicolored vector maps are used daily, and are often much better than bitmap based pictures when it comes to shapes, like in worms maps. And yeah, you could have something nifty like detailed bones under the ground.

This is great example of power of the vector images http://www.deviantart.com/view/17843240/ with good vector format you can have shades and stuff like that inside the shapes, making it very cool. Actually the real worms maps looks like that they were vector maps and are converted to bitmap. Well, perhaps the size gets bigger if you start to do that complex vector format where even shape can have bitmap colored shapes :)

All the same you could send only the shape info thru the net and leave the "texture" info alone and save some bandwidth if that texture info is that heavy.

What i mean that whole worms game could be in vector images, zooming and all that would get new dimensions. :) But hey, if not now then maybe in next worms game (2D).

/me Imaging the event when worm shoots with shotgun and immediatly the camera zooms to worm who has this painfull expression in the face as the same time the shotguns recoil gives a little backkick to the shooter. Ahh...

KRD
19 Nov 2005, 11:04
What exactly does "realistic bounces" mean? Just a quick answer, if I wanted to spend half my day reading about it, I'd Search. Tah.

Deadcode
19 Nov 2005, 11:17
zoomingThat'd be great, if I knew the format of Animo 1.7 files so that I could dynamically render the sprites at any size from the original vector data. As it is, all I have are the unpalettized sprite bitmaps at the standard, small size. And the most of the originals in Animo 1.7 format. (Actually, I only suspect it was Animo 1.7... it could be some other version.)

Perhaps the sprites could be traced and recreated in some other vector drawing app, but they wouldn't quite have the same character... they wouldn't have exactly the same curves...

I don't even know where to start in reverse engineering that Animo 1.7 file format. Team17 no longer has either the software or the NeXTSTEP operating system and SGI stations it ran on. I don't even know the extent of what kind of data is stored in the files. There's probably bezier curves in there somewhere, but in what kind of coordinate system? With what kind of color data? It's not RGB. The files don't seem to be encrypted, but they don't seem to make sense either.

Zooming out, of course, would not require vectorized sprites. But it doesn't require vectorized land either.

Ciantic
19 Nov 2005, 12:06
I agree with Deadcode that changing the entire game to vector images is not easy deal. And i'm not even sure how well vector images are even todays computers handled in realtime.

What exactly does "realistic bounces" mean? Just a quick answer, if I wanted to spend half my day reading about it, I'd Search. Tah.

If you throw your grenade to wall it does not seem to make sense how it bounces back at the moment, as it cannot be counted from the bitmap (if it's not special case example flat surface). Although vector maps has the information of the tanget (tangets normal is the direction that the grenade should go after hitting the wall in specific position).

Run
19 Nov 2005, 12:14
Would anti-aliased/vectorised maps allow rolling? That'd make things interesting.

Ciantic
19 Nov 2005, 12:17
Would anti-aliased/vectorised maps allow rolling? That'd make things interesting.

Vectorised maps would definietly allow that, since the angle is known, angle is this so called tanget. Anti-aliased are like "emulated vector maps".

I should draw a picture of this tanget :)

KRD
19 Nov 2005, 12:26
If you throw your grenade to wall it does not seem to make sense how it bounces back at the moment, as it cannot be counted from the bitmap (if it's not special case example flat surface). Although vector maps has the information of the tanget (tangets normal is the direction that the grenade should go after hitting the wall in specific position).

Ah yes, just as I suspected. You do realise that would completely change the way BnG games work and would probably cause future BnG to consist of 95% darksiding, though? Can't say I'd like that happening, as much as the overall feel of the game would greatly improve to someone that hasn't spent half their lifetime getting used to the goofy, non-realistic way the game works.

Back on topic, I'm quite a fan of vector images, their clean shape and the ability to zoom in and out without the loss of quality. However, I don't exactly see how zooming in could be beneficial enough to make it worth your while. Yes, being able to see small openings is fine, but again, someone that's familiar with the game to the extent that he knows how to shotgun a worm on the other side of a wall with a pixel-wide crack in it won't be too pleased.

Just an idea: How would napalm-like, or any other kind of fire, terrain damage be done with vector maps?

Ciantic
19 Nov 2005, 12:40
...greatly improve to someone that hasn't spent half their lifetime getting used to the goofy, non-realistic way the game works.

Yeah, that was the day i realized that this is done horribly "wrong".

Just an idea: How would napalm-like, or any other kind of fire, terrain damage be done with vector maps?

Terrain layers: images that are top of the other and does not affect gameplay, only visually. They are sticked to the suface of the map shape.

There could be some kind of terrain images on layers that would only change, i especially hate that when napalm burns the terrain at the moment it comes almost unusable as it should not. Burnt terrain should act like any other terrain, smoothly. There could be other terrain layers example grass and such which is not affecting the worms or anyother objects. Like actuall grass in real world, if you see someone walking on the grass they don't go uphill and downhill every second.

We can see several problems cause we don't use this terrain-layering-decoration-system, like example you choose some terrain with grass "whepee! it looks cool!" but then again in the game you notice how badly it's done. The worms doesn't go begind the grass and grenades and such are stick to these little holes they create on surface.

If you want that the napalm eats the shape too you could easily to create the shape damage too by gradually eat the shape and not affecting too much to the overall shape. Overall shape in mind we can maintain the shape and realistic bounces and rolls...

bonz
19 Nov 2005, 12:51
patch work
patchwork?
http://www.staceyssimplestuff.com/country-patchwork-rectangle-placemats1.JPG

KRD
19 Nov 2005, 12:54
But again, that would diminish the strategic possibility of using a napalm to trap a worm into the pixelly horror where sheep and ropes jump for every opportunity to get irreversibly stuck. It's actually a common tactic at the end of an island Elite game.

I'm just trying to think of all the possible down-sides such a transition could cause. Personally, I don't really care either way; if 2D Worms needs modernisation so badly I'm fine with just about anything.

patchwork?
http://www.staceyssimplestuff.com/country-patchwork-rectangle-placemats1.JPG

The only thing that comes to mind when you mention the words "patchwork" and "Worms" in the same sentence is this: http://www.blamethepixel.com/filedownload.php?id=1493

Run
19 Nov 2005, 13:09
But again, that would diminish the strategic possibility of using a napalm to trap a worm into the pixelly horror where sheep and ropes jump for every opportunity to get irreversably stuck.

lolololol

That's so true.

Ciantic
19 Nov 2005, 13:12
But again, that would diminish the strategic possibility of using a napalm to trap a worm into the pixelly horror...

I myself think that as an bug not a feature. I hate that, escpecially when you shoot and wtf there were single pixel on the sky and the bazooka hitted that.

Someone might think that they are tactic pixels and should exist, I say they are not part of the actual game. Most of the time pixel horrors drive away players since they don't make sense and are unpredictable which causes in long term a disadvantage.

If i'd like to random who wins, i'd choose dice not worms armageddon.

They are huge advantage to players whom has played worms long time since those are the things that makes the learning curve so big. Good or bad? Bad as they are not logical, good? No good. There should be some other ways to higher the learning curve than pixel horror :)

With vector maps you could zoom in and take look if there is those little phucking "pixels" and avoid getting shot to your own head. Also one pixel is too small, there shouldn't be wall that can be one pixel wide.

Error404
19 Nov 2005, 13:21
OMG, how are we supose to play worms without the pixels...

You know, we hate them, but we can't live without them... :D

They add a whole new layer of fun to the game, therefore, they CANNOT be replaced by vectors... :D

KRD
19 Nov 2005, 13:26
I mean the crack is one pixel wide. With walls only a few pixels wide you can shoot trough them even if there are no cracks in them. Feature or bug? I don't think it matters what it is, the fact is that it's been in the game long enough for some to have learned to use it to their advantage. Same goes for pixel horror and any other anti-physical matter we can come up with.

To use your dice analogy, if I wanted physical laws perfectly taken into account, I'd either join the army, go drive around in a car or play Half Life.

Deadcode
19 Nov 2005, 13:29
But again, that would diminish the strategic possibility of using a napalm to trap a worm into the pixelly horror...I myself think that as an bug not a feature. I hate thatI love it. But then, I also love battleracing. For me, it's tons of fun to figure out routes through the pixelly ruins of a map. Getting rid of that would be a great loss.

Which is another reason I believe the anti-aliasing method of calculating collision tangents would be much better for maintaining the flavor of Worms 2D. Of course, if I ever implement this, it'll be optional — because the weird bounce mechanics are part of the classic flavor too.

Run
19 Nov 2005, 13:31
I myself think that as an bug not a feature.

It could also be argued that floating terrain is a bug, not a feature, but programming limitations meant the alternative couldn't be handled. Not only is it unrealistic but it is illogical, but in the interests of gameplay it must remain.

Deadcode
19 Nov 2005, 13:35
It could also be argued that floating terrain is a bug, not a feature, but programming limitations meant the alternative couldn't be handled. Not only is it unrealistic but it is illogical, but in the interests of gameplay it must remain.I think of it as an ant farm. The terrain stays up their because it sticks to the glass. :D

Ciantic
19 Nov 2005, 14:07
It could also be argued that floating terrain is a bug, not a feature, but programming limitations meant the alternative couldn't be handled. Not only is it unrealistic but it is illogical, but in the interests of gameplay it must remain.

I always thought the ant farm in mind too, but i meant with the pixel horrors and one pixel "bug" that you don't notice the floating 1 pixel terrain cause it is so small. something like 3x3 pixel is noticeable.

...I'd either join the army...
Don't bother that's one useless place, we have in Finland law that every man goes to army so I've been there. (surely it's bit different than in US) Man it's one whacky place with no logic and lots of stupid people :) Fortunately i was Coder in air force so the job was not that ****ty *laughing*.

What i wanted to see in future with worms is larger maps and realistic bounces.

TriMat
19 Nov 2005, 21:21
Any chance of making permanent invisibility an option?

I usually use give players 3x invis in my shopper scheme and sometimes get a hide and seek game.

If you could fire a weapon w/out becoming visible though, there could be some potential for a real "hide and seek" type scheme... low health, roping, grab a useless utility drop every turn for some movement...

(also have it at the start of the game)

pigleo101
20 Nov 2005, 02:47
my suggestion for patch deadcode:
the start drop cr8's when start worm turn ... understand? my english is bad vb
look... so the worms go can pick cr8's in air and the game + reality
good lucky in construction the patch
bye

XxDangerxX
20 Nov 2005, 02:53
I'll give every cent to my name to the person who can translate that.

TriMat
20 Nov 2005, 03:01
my suggestion for patch deadcode:
the start drop cr8's when start worm turn ... understand? my english is bad vb
look... so the worms go can pick cr8's in air and the game + reality
good lucky in construction the patch
bye
I think he means dropping the crates in-turn (not before you move)

And his "pick the crates in air" just reminded me - with batty ropes you can actually snag someone elses crate if it lands on you at the start of their turn. Since you're not touching the ground (even if you *are* - but on the rope), the crate can drop on you.

And according to one host I was playing with, if a crate isn't there or impossible to reach because of the map design, you don't get to attack with CBA :confused:

Run
20 Nov 2005, 10:31
And according to one host I was playing with, if a crate isn't there or impossible to reach because of the map design, you don't get to attack with CBA :confused:

I bet the host was losing at the time.

pigleo101
20 Nov 2005, 13:21
**** batty ropes... lol
i like batty ropes
idea: detector in cr8 man... in rope too
cr8 in the worm turn is very good pliz try
bye

ShOwTiMe
20 Nov 2005, 14:52
**** batty ropes... lol
i like batty ropes
idea: detector in cr8 man... in rope too
cr8 in the worm turn is very good pliz try
bye

all i can say is ***WISHLIST***

whats about that wormnet1 and wormnet2 in one feature,how u wanna do that DC? Can u explain it to me a lil bit plz!?

SacLamb
20 Nov 2005, 16:54
What i wanted to see in future with worms is larger maps and realistic bounces.

Personally I'd **** a brick if I just saw secured logins re-implemented (ranks would be dope as well).

I think all these other ideas and features are just not nearly half as important, but thats just IMO

Lex
21 Nov 2005, 12:11
I think of it as an ant farm. The terrain stays up their because it sticks to the glass. :D

That's exactly what I've always thought, also. :)

wza
21 Nov 2005, 23:41
Personally I'd **** a brick if I just saw secured logins re-implemented (ranks would be dope as well).

I think all these other ideas and features are just not nearly half as important, but thats just IMO

Ranked channels would be best. A channel for each scheme, the wormers dream.

SacLamb
22 Nov 2005, 08:12
Ranked channels would be best. A channel for each scheme, the wormers dream.

Or even at least one ranked scheme would be f**kin sweet. Although a ranked channel for each scheme would of course be even sweeter ;p

pigleo101
27 Nov 2005, 15:22
hum...
i have a better idea for patch 4.0
look..
you can pick in the game double shot
( 2 shot in the 1 turn ) in weapons : zook , nade , mine , mortair ...
and single worm invisibility , for spy worm
ty for attention and gl in patch

bye

cotton
28 Nov 2005, 11:08
hmm and what about new utility - battle bike... something like the bike in elastomania but it can harm other worms...
Or possibility of simultaneous turns..
or support of maps of non-standard size
or boats
or water somewhere in the terrain
and rain :))

but that are things for new version of 2d worms :))

SacLamb
28 Nov 2005, 20:00
oo oo and weapon vending machines scattered about, and fly an airplane, and infinite cow gun, and have a secret nude worm code, and celebrity worms, and game show schemes, and blurry screens (when worms get shot in the eye), and pogo sticks, and rollercoasters, hand-gliders, skateboards, uhhh I have like a bazillion more ideas and I think you should implement them ALL because worms would be so cool then

Madmaxquinn
28 Nov 2005, 20:22
If we are going to start this business of asking for extra features (for the sake of it) why not ask for a hoverboard utility-come-weapon? Use it to hover around the landscape, repeal 'nades and such when you worm is not moving and last of all use it as a baseball bat alternative when getting up close and personal with a group of worms near a cliff or water. Better still use multiple hoverboards as girder alternatives. They'd bounce when hit (absorbing some of the energy) so it would take some skill in hitting your target using them. Or use them as launch pads: just jump on to the hoverboard and the next thing you know you're flying 87 degrees skywards. A chute and a stick of TNT later and you're laughing.

XxDangerxX
28 Nov 2005, 22:20
HAHA LOL COME-BACKS GALORE!!!!!

On a serious note, let me just set one thing straight:

NO ****ING WEAPONS!!!!!

WE ARE ONLY REQUESTING FEATURES!!!!!

AND EVEN THEN YOU USE THE WISHLIST!!!

(Someone please give him the URL; I can't find it.)

pigleo101
2 Dec 2005, 14:58
Hum... very nice this patch now i look the first page and i see
What's the release date? next year?!
and date?
ty for attention
and bye :)

Djoszee
2 Dec 2005, 16:05
bla bla
http://forum.team17.co.uk/showpost.php?p=440561&postcount=1977

ghostspect
2 Dec 2005, 23:17
I think of it as an ant farm. The terrain stays up their because it sticks to the glass.

Thats why floating land in worms 3d makes no sense.

Deadcode
2 Dec 2005, 23:44
Thats why floating land in worms 3d makes no sense.Well, it could be held-up by 4-dimensional glass.

bonz
2 Dec 2005, 23:56
4-dimensional glass.
"we all live in a tesseract ant farm, tesseract ant farm, tesseract ant farm..."

XxDangerxX
3 Dec 2005, 01:59
Well, it could be held-up by 4-dimensional glass.
LOLOL Nice one

realfoe
11 Dec 2005, 13:59
Would it be possible to make it so we can see what types of scheme people play most on wormnet by holding the mouse over the name alt tag style.
That way we can ask people if they would like to host a battlerace instead of bugging people who dont like the style.
anyway anyone want a batlerace ? I would settle for a ctf or mole shop.

Edit:maybe you could have icons like br for battlerace p for proper and so on next to the name instead.

.....i would really love a br as i have not played in sooo long.

More edit:have the number of times the type of scheme has been played next to the icon so can see how much they like playing the game type.

Deadcode
11 Dec 2005, 22:53
That bug's back with the replays. See this replay: I was recreating the good old memories from the demo version except the game used the last map I got from the map editor/loader when it was supposed to use Cars.I'm finally working on fixing this. In the meantime, here are your fixed replays.

Dando
12 Dec 2005, 14:00
Any chance the new update will include ability to save game as a movie rather than pictures...i.e. a full avi. I could then add compressions etc.

Any news on the beta also? <<please no attacking that statement i know everyone hates the question

Seifer Almasy

Plutonic
12 Dec 2005, 14:08
right click a replay file and theres a convert to AVI option in the drop down

bonz
12 Dec 2005, 15:17
right click a replay file and theres a convert to AVI option in the drop down
no, there isn't.
you can export a series of .png images to your ..\user\capture folder.
use a video tool to convert it to avi files.
virtual dub mod (http://virtualdubmod.sourceforge.net/) is capable of that.

Plutonic
12 Dec 2005, 17:34
meh, close enough :p

bonz
13 Dec 2005, 00:12
meh, close enough :p
hehe.
is using the images to print a flip-book also close enough? :D

Deadcode
14 Dec 2005, 21:54
Any chance the new update will include ability to save game as a movie rather than pictures...i.e. a full avi. I could then add compressions etc.I plan to implement that at some point, yes...

In the mean time you can use VirtualDubMod (http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualdubmod/) to import the sequence of PNG pictures and convert to AVI.

TriMat
14 Dec 2005, 23:32
Why VirtualDubMod and not just VirtualDub?

And what settings?

I've tried both of these and my avi's come out smooth, but slow motion. Every other frame gets close to normal speed but then it's choppy.

Deadcode
14 Dec 2005, 23:42
Why VirtualDubMod and not just VirtualDub?VirtualDub doesn't support the PNG format. Or it didn't, last I checked.I've tried both of these and my avi's come out smooth, but slow motion. Every other frame gets close to normal speed but then it's choppy.You need to manually set the frame rate. Go to Video→Frame Rate, and select "Change to ____ frames per second", and input the correct frame rate (e.g., 50 if you used a frameskip of 1, 25 if you used a frameskip of 2, etc.)

TriMat
15 Dec 2005, 19:58
Ah, yeah I was looking for specific frame settings since it was still choppy. Every other frame at 50 fps works well.

Just testing it out - something not to do when shopping...
Bad Idea (http://rapidshare.de/files/9234775/Bad_Idea.avi.html) (DivX coded required)

Djoszee
16 Dec 2005, 11:25
Just testing it out - something not to do when shopping...

hehe............

Plutonic
17 Dec 2005, 03:18
can you please not use fileshare.whatever? I generally look at all files people host but for some reason that site thinks I'm permenantly downloading from them so wont let me download anything else. very annoying!!!!!

Djoszee
17 Dec 2005, 10:19
can you please not use fileshare.whatever? I generally look at all files people host but for some reason that site thinks I'm permenantly downloading from them so wont let me download anything else. very annoying!!!!!
you are proably connected to some network, so more people can access that site. You can only download 50bm per hour

WORM1234
17 Dec 2005, 10:28
Fileshare is a pile of PUKE! Only being able to download 50MB in an hour is CRAP!!

Plutonic
17 Dec 2005, 16:06
im on a network but there is only 2 of us, and the other has now gone home so..... meh

robowurmz
11 May 2006, 08:55
I'm a gr8 fan of the fiddler, so make sure you tri=ough your way through it and INCLUDE EVERYTHING. Even the sprite previews and EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING. and once more, EVERYTHING.
Pleeeese.
(we have cookies.)

XxDangerxX
11 May 2006, 09:19
NOOO! NONONONONONO I want a different look! I'm so sick of the fiddler layout!!!

And robowurmz, don't post something like that in this thread. You'll now be subject to repeated flaming by all the forum users who are subscribed in this thread and who noticed it die long ago. Please post all your requests here (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=26764).

mcm-never-
2 Aug 2006, 13:18
any news on this? or is this project stopped?

canofworms
2 Aug 2006, 13:24
any news on this? or is this project stopped?

I agree, (i have left the cave for once). What is going on with this?

XxDangerxX
2 Aug 2006, 14:24
Yeh, this is worse than the last time he left us hanging! It's gotta be longer as well...

Lex
2 Aug 2006, 16:25
Nope. I talked to Deadcode recently and he said he still intends to work on WA.

XxDangerxX
3 Aug 2006, 02:03
Well, that's a relief!

Jerry
4 Aug 2006, 09:39
Hi.:-/
Yeah, very good job but when I can download it from this page?? Or with another page??

GJ.

bonz
4 Aug 2006, 16:00
Hi.:-/
Yeah, very good job but when I can download it from this page?? Or with another page??
When it is finished and you see an official announcement in the announcement thread and/or a sticky thread at the top of the beta update thread.

thetopcybo
9 Aug 2006, 05:53
first of all, welcome back DC after such a long vacation....I hv some suggestions, they may feel a bit awkward but still here goes:

1.Can u modify the AI and make it a bit more superior and instill in them the ability to rope and use ALL the weapons, plssssssss

2.Can u put game modes for offline games too, that is, we can, say, select the game mode shoppa and the AI will also follow the rulz of these modes....these game modes cud be added with patches too, so that no mode will be left out, plssssssss....

3.Batty Ropes

XxDangerxX
9 Aug 2006, 06:30
DC's Back?

bonz
9 Aug 2006, 16:08
first of all, welcome back DC
What are you talking about?

Lex
9 Aug 2006, 21:45
What are you talking?You forgot "about," or to replace "talking" with "saying." Just call me Mr. Folland, your new English teacher.

Edit: I've changed my grammar to make proper use of quotation marks, rather than my normal, more-logical, usage.

Armaguedon
13 Aug 2006, 15:32
so , now , how many percent the patch is make ...? (sorry if I dont know how to say this but I hope you undestand)

Run
13 Aug 2006, 15:36
nobody knows

[UFP]Ghost
13 Aug 2006, 15:44
nobody knows
deadcode knows are probobly someone that talk to him a lot from here. but i Know Deadcode knows :p, to bad he never posts here.

Armaguedon
14 Aug 2006, 15:37
2 years after....

Chip
15 Aug 2006, 20:54
I havn't actualy played a propper worms match since the week the last beta was released which was like last year some time? (I'm very bad at keeping track of things like this)

Anyway I must admit that I probley wont play another propper worms match unless I have something new to it. I played worms in and out to the ful extent when I first got it which was 4 computers ago.
My first computer ran it rarther sluggish, a year later I got a a new computer and played the game solid since I came accross the fiddler as well!!! 4 years after that and I got a new computer but it came with win XP and so I came accross the beta patches, and then 3 years on - I got my own computer which was last year (1 year and 16 days to be exact).

I think I can't get any more out of worms unless something new comes along. Or maybe its just that the AI is far too predictable for experienced players, they need the option to use more of a varioty of weapons and also for the player to get new weapons like from the fiddler (which I can't get working and wont bother with now)

Oh and Deadcode was last on these forums at 20 July 2006 (which was less than a month ago)

KRD
15 Aug 2006, 22:28
One word, Chip: WormNet.

Okay, it's two words. Damn you, newspeak! Oh God, that's two words too...

Chip
15 Aug 2006, 22:54
When I go on wormnet its always full of French people.

Well there are a few americans but they don't do or say anything.

Run
15 Aug 2006, 22:58
Well there are a few americans but they don't do or say anything.

That's remarkably out-of-character.

Chip
16 Aug 2006, 11:25
I'm at a different time zone to them so they're probley sleeping or something when I pop in.

GoDxWyvern
16 Aug 2006, 12:29
It's not that much of a problem to play online with "foreigners", is it? As long as their English is good enough to communicate. Also, if you haven't played online before, each and every word of yours is obsolete. :o Because online you will have experiences you can't even imagine in an offline game, since the game is a bazillion times more manifold than the usual Intermediate match against the CPU. Just try it out and don't lose the motivation quite that fast!

Armaguedon
16 Aug 2006, 13:32
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

deadcode , when you read this thread , can you tell us (aproximatively) the realease date?

Seita
16 Aug 2006, 15:01
>The game is a brazillian times more manifold than the usual Intermediate match against the CPU.

And that's a whole lot.

GoDxWyvern
16 Aug 2006, 16:08
Haha. You bet it is.

Vader
16 Aug 2006, 17:42
News flash: "In a bombing today one Brazilian died, none were injured."
Bush: "How much is a brazillion?"

(someone had to say it)

XxDangerxX
18 Aug 2006, 00:04
I've got a different version of that:

Donald Rumsfeld is giving the president his daily briefing. He concludes
by saying: "Yesterday, 3 Brazilian soldiers were killed."

"OH NO!" the President exclaims. "That's terrible!"

His staff sits stunned at this display of emotion, nervously watching as
the President sits, head in hands.

Finally, the President looks up and asks, "How many is a brazillion?"

Jerry
22 Aug 2006, 22:26
Damn, patch emerges already two years.. I think this is small impossible that this emerged. Deadcode nothing not writes. Maybe he it does not make nothing new.
It has added something new [other new patch].

bonz
22 Aug 2006, 22:35
Damn, patch emerges already two years.. I think this is small impossible that this emerged. Deadcode nothing not writes. Maybe he it does not make nothing new.
It has added something new [other new patch].
The W:A v5.7 patch came out 3 years ago.
You must have been stuck in a singularity for quite sometime.
;)

franpa
23 Aug 2006, 05:27
well why is he making a v4.0 patch if v5.7 already exists? (didnt look at earlier page)

XxDangerxX
23 Aug 2006, 05:35
My guess: bonz has finally been committed to an institution for the mentally impaired.

3 years ago, this 4.0 thread did not even exist, and, like my good friend franpa here said, we're still waiting for the next ßeta 3 update, let alone the ßeta 4 release, let alone any reference to a 5.7, which I have not once even heard of until today.

Care to explain, bonz?

bonz
23 Aug 2006, 06:40
My guess: bonz has finally been committed to an institution for the mentally impaired.
Close.
I have escaped from one about 3 years ago.
3 years ago, this 4.0 thread did not even exist, and, like my good friend franpa here said, we're still waiting for the next ßeta 3 update, let alone the ßeta 4 release, let alone any reference to a 5.7, which I have not once even heard of until today.

Care to explain, bonz?
β and ß are two totally different characters.

BTW, tomorrow v6.0 will be release.

Wait, what's that?
Oh no, the guys in white finally found me!

franpa
23 Aug 2006, 06:47
XxDangerxX i shall take that as a compliment.

XxDangerxX
23 Aug 2006, 08:01
Yes. #1 thing(s) though:

Switch Australia and Queensland around in your location. And FOR GOD'S SAKE capitalise them!!!

Lex
23 Aug 2006, 13:52
Close.
I have escaped from one about 3 years ago.

β and ß are two totally different characters.

BTW, tomorrow v6.0 will be release.

Wait, what's that?
Oh no, the guys in white finally found me!Hehe. If only I had the same love for running jokes as you do.

Elliott
23 Aug 2006, 14:05
Well... I have a secret.

I fully intend to be banned for this, but people deserve it.

v4 full, finished has been in private beta for a while now... and I'm one of the testers.

I think the community deserves it...

Download WA v4 (may be hammered with traffic, keep trying) (http://elliottstuff.org/dump/v4.zip)

CyberShadow
23 Aug 2006, 15:13
*abstains from the temptation to register domain and upload something naughty*

Plasma
23 Aug 2006, 17:00
Well... I have a secret.

I fully intend to be banned for this, but people deserve it.

v4 full, finished has been in private beta for a while now... and I'm one of the testers.

I think the community deserves it...

Download WA v4 (may be hammered with traffic, keep trying) (http://elliottstuff.org/dump/v4.zip)
I would reccomend removing your address before the men in white are back on this forum again.

Elliott
23 Aug 2006, 17:11
*abstains from the temptation to register domain and upload something naughty*

What do you mean? It's already registered.

I would reccomend removing your address before the men in white are back on this forum again.
I know i'm going to be banned. It's worth it.

Plasma
23 Aug 2006, 17:19
I know i'm going to be banned. It's worth it.
It isn't because of being banned that would classify you as insane...

Run
23 Aug 2006, 17:54
What the hell's going on? What's ban-worthy about that link? It doesn't even work

...is that the joke?

CyberShadow
23 Aug 2006, 18:15
What do you mean? It's already registered..

Oh right. Sorry. My mistake. (http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=elliottstuff.org)

Elliott
24 Aug 2006, 21:26
What the hell's going on? What's ban-worthy about that link? It doesn't even work

...is that the joke?
It isn't a joke. Read the post.
Oh right. Sorry. My mistake. (http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=elliottstuff.org)
Yep, registered.

Run
24 Aug 2006, 22:28
What's Going On?!?!?!

Elliott
24 Aug 2006, 22:36
What's Going On?!?!?!

I have leaked WA v4. :(

Lex
24 Aug 2006, 23:20
Rofl. Your sig is such a lie.

CyberShadow
25 Aug 2006, 00:36
I have leaked WA v4. :(
Oh my God! Have you seen the Worms Compositor engine? This thing can render sprites of worms in any position holding any weapon, and with hats! On the fly! WITH ANTI-ALIASING! I wanted to do that! And the new front-end! And the new WormNET features! And ZOMG so many optiosn I've never seen so many buttons at once in my life! *gasp*

*faints with an extasic expression on his face*

not.

thetopcybo
25 Aug 2006, 03:56
wow man did u see the sexy new female worms brought by this patch?? huba huba!!

and in one of the new mission brought by this patch is named 'elliott s**ks' and in that elliott is shown as gay and we hv to kill him........

*faints with a disgusting expression on his face*

bonz
25 Aug 2006, 07:51
Pffff...
Copying jokes is lame, especially copying from me!

Lex
25 Aug 2006, 07:54
Yeah, but you're medically insane, so we don't really have to value your opinion. ;)

Elliott
25 Aug 2006, 08:29
I am shocked and appauled at this blalant lie!

and in one of the new mission brought by this patch is named 'elliott s**ks' and in that elliott is shown as gay and we hv to kill him........
The last time I was diagnosed, I was shown to be "not gay"! Also, I cannot remember the law saying gay people "hv" to be killed. Can you provide a reference number?

*faints with a disgusting expression on his face*
Would that be an expression of you enjoying the gay sex portion of this new patch?

I mean, er...

edit: thread derailed

yakuza
25 Aug 2006, 10:21
When R@nks??????¿!~~~44

Run
25 Aug 2006, 10:49
Yeah, but you're medically insane, so we don't really have to value your opinion. ;)

..says the noob.

Elliott
25 Aug 2006, 18:29
When R@nks??????¿!~~~44
No comment.
..says the noob.

I have copyrighted my in-joke you know, either you or the n00b must pay me £50 or I will take you to court.

robowurmz
25 Aug 2006, 18:48
Elliot, get lost.
We all know that V.40 IS NOT on ANY website. It's not finished.

Elliott
25 Aug 2006, 19:03
Elliot, get lost.
We all know that V.40 IS NOT on ANY website. It's not finished.

http://xs205.xs.to/xs205/06345/emot-argh.gif I HATE JOKES

Alien King
25 Aug 2006, 19:10
Ok...

You claim to have W:A v4. You made up a link to a site and download that doesn't exist. You have claimed to be a tester for it which is incredably unlikely. You've also denied all of this.

I suggest you just leave. Or at least give something that may help support your claims, but that would probably be too much for you to invent.

bonz
25 Aug 2006, 20:49
As I said before, copying jokes is lame, but making a running gag out of them is even lamer.
(Except of course if I make gags run.)

Elliott
25 Aug 2006, 21:11
Ok...

You claim to have W:A v4. You made up a link to a site and download that doesn't exist. You have claimed to be a tester for it which is incredably unlikely. You've also denied all of this.

I suggest you just leave. Or at least give something that may help support your claims, but that would probably be too much for you to invent.

I think maybe, just possibly a chance of maybe being a fact that you can't take a joke.

thetopcybo
27 Aug 2006, 08:17
I am shocked and appauled at this blalant lie!

Also, I cannot remember the law saying gay people "hv" to be killed. Can you provide a reference number?

Would that be an expression of you enjoying the gay sex portion of this new patch?

I mean, er...

edit: thread derailed

u know the law doesn't say that the gays hv to be killed but the mission says...read my previous post again, bozo....
and, don't u know the meaning of disgusting that u r asking me if i was enjoying the portion????????

ah! the english of the world is going in the doldrums.....and don't ask me what does it mean

Elliott
27 Aug 2006, 10:08
ah! the english of the world is going in the doldrums.....and don't ask me what does it mean
If you mean the quality of language used by Team17 forum visitors, I couldn't agree more. :P

FuZion
27 Aug 2006, 13:53
So, I've not been registered here long.

I saw the thread title & thought, "Ooh, nice" & started reading a few posts on page 1. I noticed the date for the original post & decided to read about the new features.

Next, I clicked through a few pages to catch any more scraps of info before noticing, this is a long thread. To the last page I go & work backwards. 4 million years have passed & it's still not available?

@DeadCode

I am still an Amiga user & as such, I understand that software can sometimes (Usually) take a long time. I also understand that release dates can change due to the nature of programming.

I have nothing more to add :-D

I'll hang in there, the update sounds great.

FuZion.

PS. Don't know if it's been covered but a more flexible screenmode option would be nice. I'll be playing WA on my laptop, 1280x800.

bonz
27 Aug 2006, 13:57
PS. Don't know if it's been covered but a more flexible screenmode option would be nice. I'll be playing WA on my laptop, 1280x800.
The latest beta update is v3.6.26.5. High resolution screenmodes are already available.
I play the game at 1280*1024 on my TFT monitor.

I suggest to read this brief summary:
http://www.nanacide.com/wahelp/info-updatefeatures.php
And the readme of the latest bet update:
ftp://ftp.team17.com/pub/t17/patches/pc/WA_Readme-3.6.26.5_Beta.zip

FuZion
27 Aug 2006, 14:22
Cheers Bonz,

I hadn't installed a patch for a while & just tried out the 3.6.25.5 Beta. Ahhh, it felt good to have a quick game. Best version ever. Now for an online match.

FuZion.

rats
30 Jan 2007, 16:35
I think it would be great if there would be a random selection from the worms in the team who start the game (a 3 worms/team game would randomly give 3 worms from the 8 teamed worms).

Melon
30 Jan 2007, 16:37
I totally disagree. You can't plan ahead if you don't know which of your worms is going to have his go next. And also poor Walter Melon wouldn't be my captain, which is truly a disaster.

rats
30 Jan 2007, 16:45
I totally disagree. You can't plan ahead if you don't know which of your worms is going to have his go next. And also poor Walter Melon wouldn't be my captain, which is truly a disaster.
compromise: an enable/disable option then :eek:

SilPho
30 Jan 2007, 16:46
Could potentially pick 3 random worms from the list of 8 but still have them run in the same order as they would do normally.

Example, names 2,6 and 1 are chosen, but the turn order would go 1,2,6.

I don't know much about the way worms stores this information in RAM but I guess it's possible to just change the memory values of the currently loaded worm names to the names of random team members. Could be done by an external program I guess, but it's quite sketchy.

Best way to do it would be to create a program that would load up the team file (WG.WGT) find the worm names and randomize them before the game even gets loaded. Yet this also turns up the problem of not knowing your turn order.

franpa
31 Jan 2007, 00:53
I think it would be great if there would be a random selection from the worms in the team who start the game (a 3 worms/team game would randomly give 3 worms from the 8 teamed worms).
eh wtf? 8 teamed worms? 3 worms from this 8 team? wtf? WTF?

bonz
31 Jan 2007, 00:56
eh wtf? 8 teamed worms? 3 worms from this 8 team? wtf? WTF?
He means playing with 8 equally named teams simultaneously on 8 computers.

Of course.

franpa
31 Jan 2007, 00:59
could you reiterate his whole post please o_O as i don't see how you got that from his post.

Joeyjoejoe
31 Jan 2007, 08:24
Anyone got any news on when 4.0 will be out?

franpa
31 Jan 2007, 09:36
it will be out after 3.6.27.x is out.

Jarf
31 Jan 2007, 09:51
So is this thread filled with critical information or idiotic forum members bickering over little details and other nonsense?

Summarised:
Is it worth reading this entire thread?

Seita
31 Jan 2007, 11:06
No it is not. Reading the beta readme file would prove much more useful.

Das BrÜce
31 Jan 2007, 11:34
Does anyone know when the next w:a patch comes out?

GoDxWyvern
31 Jan 2007, 11:40
Anytime after now!

franpa
31 Jan 2007, 12:32
there is a patch coming soon but it is a bug fix/feature update and not the 4.0 merge.

Metal Alex
31 Jan 2007, 21:53
The final release will be part of WA CE.

You mean copying it again with a featured NEW lame edited logo?

Plasma
31 Jan 2007, 22:57
So is this thread filled with critical information or idiotic forum members bickering over little details and other nonsense?
Replace "thread" with "forum" and you got yourself a 180!

DeeKay
1 Feb 2007, 04:35
I've just been reading the initial post... When I found out it's from 2004! Was that a sticky taken down?

MrBunsy
1 Feb 2007, 18:48
I've just been reading the initial post... When I found out it's from 2004! Was that a sticky taken down?
Yep, this thread used to be a sticky. I'd forgotten about it too, until it popped up again.

DeeKay
1 Feb 2007, 19:00
Ah... Okay. I just, you know, was planning to kill rats.

wolfdv
18 Feb 2007, 22:34
higher resolution map support

will there ever be support for giant/large maps for example 4096x4096 (or something like that). . in the new version

i'm playing W:A @ 1920x1200 on my monitor, and in levels like caverns, it runs letterbox-like, due to the "lower" resolution of 1920x696.

Plus it would be fun to have larger maps, for longer games with more worms.

eddy2000
19 Feb 2007, 03:45
hi
perhaps i have not successful to find information about rain of crates in this thread(many post to read and i speack english bad:( ,but i ask:
in the new update the crates shower like wormpot in wwp will active?
it will be possible to have 5 crates for turn?
ty

bonz
19 Feb 2007, 04:08
in the new update the crates shower like wormpot in wwp will active?
it will be possible to have 5 crates for turn?
Yes, it's planned to have all Wormpot modes (and many more new options).

Alby87
9 Mar 2007, 00:13
If you need some Italian Localitation Help... Here I am! ;)

wrv451nlp
9 Mar 2007, 02:56
will 4.0 ever come out i mean 2 years and 2 months had passed and where still waiting.

i mean i know they must be working hard on it but darn a long time had passed.

XxDangerxX
9 Mar 2007, 22:59
I don't really care about the 4.0. Fiddler support will come in well before then. I'm just looking forward to the next patch.

wrv451nlp
10 Mar 2007, 04:44
1: Will it have all the wormpot modes?

2: Will it have all the wwp Missions,Trainings,Time Attacks or do you add them?

3: The different colors/types of mines?

4: Will it have all multi player Missions that could be played online?

5: Able to make and add multi/single custom missions?

It might be impossible but can WA players play online with WWP players.?

What i,m saying is can wormnet 1 connect to wormnet 2 and play online?

6: Will login system have saved accounts like you have to make a account to sign in?

7: Will rankings be back?

Edit: Also what about the 7 landscapes missing in worms armageddon 5 are from worms 1 and the other two 2 from worms world party

the landscapes that are missing in WA are

Worms 1

*Candy
*Geiger
*Junk
*Mars
*Nam

Worms World Party

*Dinos
*Domestic

yakuza
10 Mar 2007, 10:50
Search function, use it.

Run
10 Mar 2007, 11:09
yes/maybe/maybe/yes/yes/yes/yes/yes/yes

as far as i know.

wrv451nlp
11 Mar 2007, 03:17
Also what about the 7 landscapes missing in worms armageddon 5 are from worms 1 and the other two 2 from worms world party

the landscapes that are missing in WA are

Worms 1

*Candy
*Geiger
*Junk
*Mars
*Nam

Worms World Party

*Dinos
*Domestic

Squirminator2k
11 Mar 2007, 12:55
Worms 1

*Candy
*Geiger
*Junk
*Mars
*Nam
None of these were converted for use in Worms 2 onwards, so they're not technically speaking "missing".

Worms World Party

*Dinos
*Domestic
I believe that's being worked on, but don't quote me on that.

Metal Alex
11 Mar 2007, 13:26
I believe that's being worked on, but don't quote me on that.

Too late :p

Also, I think there might be a chance of custom terrains... But I don't know for sure, though... I just hope so ;)

Squirminator2k
11 Mar 2007, 15:03
If you want custom terrains, play WormsDC. :p

bonz
11 Mar 2007, 16:09
Yes, it's planned that terrains are made customizable.

I for myself hope that the 2 missing WWP terrains and the "missing" W1/R/U terrains are get implemented by the beta crew, instead of a ton of different custom versions by the users afterwards.

BTW, you can try out the Dinos & Domestic right now by burning/editing a CD/image or probably by using Wormkit.

wrv451nlp
11 Mar 2007, 18:20
I wonder when this patch is gonna come out.

Does worms DC have any other terrains that are not in worms 1/R/U/2/A/WP?

bonz
11 Mar 2007, 21:14
I wonder when this patch is gonna come out.
When it's done.
When it has been tested thoroughly.
When the end is nigh.
Pick one.
Does worms DC have any other terrains that are not in worms 1/R/U/2/A/WP?
I don't know.

olavi
14 Mar 2007, 16:34
this is going crazy :/ it's now over 2 years, and still not published! WHAT IS IT???

SpecOps
14 Mar 2007, 16:36
2 yrs is liek making a game

Metal Alex
14 Mar 2007, 16:38
But only 2 people are working on this :p

a game has a full team.

Melon
14 Mar 2007, 16:56
Also, Cyber Shadow and Deadcode aren't getting paid (as far as I'm aware) and they can only work on it in the small amount of free time they have available.

The upcoming update appears to be quite a big one, but unfortunately it's come with a selection of bugs that need ironing out first (again, as far as I'm aware).

Look on the bright side though, they planned to have it out for Christmas, but something's holding them back. That means it shouldn't bee TOO long*, right?

*Somewhere withing the next 2 years at least

AndrewTaylor
14 Mar 2007, 20:45
Did they say which Christmas?

Syc0
14 Mar 2007, 23:29
I'm sure all this bashing doesn't help guys.. If we all be patient and support what Deadcode and CyberShadow are doing and how long it takes them, I'm sure they will see the support and want to give a more deserving community what they ask for.

robowurmz
15 Mar 2007, 07:33
I think that we should set up some sort of PayPal donation scheme to help the cause of this awesomeness along.

franpa
15 Mar 2007, 08:02
just pay them enough money for them to quit there jobs and then the new update will get done quicker :P

[UFP]Ghost
15 Mar 2007, 20:51
I'm a little confused.

why doesn't team17 pay them for their work?
It may be an older game but look what it's doing for it. why don't they?

Plutonic
15 Mar 2007, 23:02
Because they dont have too?

bonz
15 Mar 2007, 23:24
Ghost;567267']why doesn't team17 pay them for their work?
Because it would be too costly to send the galleon to Moldova and California. http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/Smileys/default/beer.gif

CyberShadow
16 Mar 2007, 01:26
Please note that Moldavia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moldavia) != Moldova (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moldova).

Also, PayPal doesn't support Moldova.

[UFP]Ghost
16 Mar 2007, 01:42
but really for what they are doing, why doesn't team17 pay them. seriously, they do deserve it and they are doing wonders for their product. i don't mean like make em rich but pay them something at least.

bonz
16 Mar 2007, 08:38
Please note that Moldavia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moldavia) != Moldova (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moldova).
Whoops, I'm biased by the German name.

Chip
17 Mar 2007, 10:28
I've never realy thought about it but I am very happy with these patches. Sure they take some time but doesn't everything? espeicaly if your working on these in your spare time.

I have many old games which I would still play or do still play that have had some sort of modern day patching for it but I have seen so many of these modding attempts end up falling apart and we never see any more patches again for that game (Warlords Battlecry III for example) So the game stays old with no new features and stays with the bugs that it had from the start.

As much as I want these patches to introduce everything ASAP, I am happy enough to sit back and let them do it at their speed.
Daedcode and Haunter, I mean Cybershadow realy are doing a great job, I hope they never discontinue these patches untill the day Microsoft creates an OS that refuses to run old programs and its un-fixable.

MrBunsy
17 Mar 2007, 17:14
Did you just say it's not hard to port a DirectX application to an operating system with no directX support?

CyberShadow
17 Mar 2007, 18:06
Did you just say it's not hard to port a DirectX application to an operating system with no directX support?
Actually, we're doing this right now (Linux and maybe Mac support is planned for 4.0).
Since the game was written to be cross-platform anyway (N64/PSX/GBA ports, etc.), the graphics engine, which is a wrapper for DirectDraw/DirectSound, is separated from the game and abstractized so you could write your own graphics engines, like plug-ins.

MrBunsy
17 Mar 2007, 18:10
Actually, we're doing this right now (Linux and maybe Mac support is planned for 4.0).
Since the game was written to be cross-platform anyway (N64/PSX/GBA ports, etc.), the graphics engine, which is a wrapper for DirectDraw/DirectSound, is separated from the game and abstractized so you could write your own graphics engines, like plug-ins.

Well, I never! I stand corrected then. I would imagine though, that unless WA had been intended to be portable, that it wouldn't have been 'easy'?