PDA

View Full Version : W:A 4.0 Beta Update

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10

SargeMcCluck
13 Oct 2004, 23:54
You can read team whispers, but not individual user based whispers.

AFAIK Deadcode won't be getting rid of people viewing team whispers, but rather the way WA sends whispers to every client (rather than only the client(s) that should be receiving the whisper), which is abuseable (allowing viewing of whispers during a game).

realfoe
14 Oct 2004, 00:00
1000 posts !! lets all celebrate with a can of spam

Chip
14 Oct 2004, 16:30
A yo ho ho and a bottle of jack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously thou,
When will the in-game-fiddler-type-thing be in the patches? It won't be in the final will it?

I miss making weapons :(

Sn!perWorm
14 Oct 2004, 16:38
Huh?I played 2vs2 Forts scheme and both teams used team whispers much and no-one was able to read other team's whispers...

SargeMcCluck
14 Oct 2004, 17:31
Huh?I played 2vs2 Forts scheme and both teams used team whispers much and no-one was able to read other team's whispers...

In the game replay. Which is created as the game is played, and has the team whispers stored.

Sn!perWorm
14 Oct 2004, 19:34
Then why do you need others' tactics after the game? :confused:

SargeMcCluck
14 Oct 2004, 19:50
Then why do you need others' tactics after the game? :confused:

Because, as has been said, you can minimise WA during the game, and use stuff like hex editors, or possibly WA's inbuilt log extraction utility to read other people's tactics *during* the game

Veletrap
15 Oct 2004, 15:29
A quick question. Are you going to make a music volume control in additon to the sound control in the in game escape menu?

RastaMahata
15 Oct 2004, 16:14
A quick question. Are you going to make a music volume control in additon to the sound control in the in game escape menu?
I like this idea

XxDangerxX
16 Oct 2004, 02:39
Yes, it is a good idea.

A yo ho ho and a bottle of jack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously thou,
When will the in-game-fiddler-type-thing be in the patches? It won't be in the final will it?

I miss making weapons :(
Me too. Hey chip, I don't suppose you are any good with the Fiddler? Because I have a weapon that won't do what I want. It's a really good idea but it just won't work.

Sn!perWorm
16 Oct 2004, 08:21

Because, as has been said, you can minimise WA during the game, and use stuff like hex editors, or possibly WA's inbuilt log extraction utility to read other people's tactics *during* the game

OK...then maybe just disable logs during the game and make them appear after it only.

Madmaxquinn
16 Oct 2004, 11:01
But people were snooping private messages before log extraction was available!?

SargeMcCluck
16 Oct 2004, 12:39
But people were snooping private messages before log extraction was available!?

Through different means and methods yes. But those means and methods don't work anymore. On WA anyway.

Madmaxquinn
16 Oct 2004, 12:52
You absolutely sure?

PsyDome
16 Oct 2004, 12:53
OK...then maybe just disable logs during the game and make them appear after it only.
or don't record the dialogue-box at all...

Run
16 Oct 2004, 12:57
or don't record the dialogue-box at all...

It has to record them so they can appear during a replay. Whether they really need to be extractable, though, is another matter.

PsyDome
16 Oct 2004, 13:01
It has to record them so they can appear during a replay. Whether they really need to be extractable, though, is another matter.
it doesn't have to record them because they don't have to appear during the replay...

it's really unecessary...

SargeMcCluck
16 Oct 2004, 13:24
You absolutely sure?

The old whisper password is not a security flaw. I got rid of that in the Beta, and even before that with Silkworm's /nospy. The security flaw is that whispers are sent to everybody.

Yes. Yes I am sure.

Run
16 Oct 2004, 13:26
The dialogue is such an important part of the game, though!

Would this replay be ANY fun without the dialogue? You tell me!

Bah @ not accepting .rar types

Further Bah @ not accepting .wagame types in the first place. This forum sucks.

I'm too lazy to go through the extra effort. Oh well.

PsyDome
16 Oct 2004, 13:40
The dialogue is such an important part of the game, though!

Would this replay be ANY fun without the dialogue? You tell me!
we didn't have saved replayes 5 years ago, and you didn't hear anyone complaining then, did you?

Run
16 Oct 2004, 13:51
With that logic, maybe we should all go back to burning witches. I nominate psydome.

SargeMcCluck
16 Oct 2004, 14:05
we didn't have saved replayes 5 years ago, and you didn't hear anyone complaining then, did you?

We didn't have Deadcode's beta patches fixing bugs like the cow abuse, girder abuse. We didn't have XP compability 5 years ago. We didn't even have the WA 3.0 patch 5 years ago.

No-one complained back then, but if all of those were removed, you'd be ****ed off.
Come on Psy, you can give a better argument than that ;)

PsyDome
16 Oct 2004, 14:19
We didn't have Deadcode's beta patches fixing bugs like the cow abuse, girder abuse. We didn't have XP compability 5 years ago. We didn't even have the WA 3.0 patch 5 years ago.

No-one complained back then, but if all of those were removed, you'd be ****ed off.
Come on Psy, you can give a better argument than that ;)
cow abuse didn't have to get fixed, it was fun thing
xp compatability was a necessary fix
no one has, up until now, even suggested (afaik) that replays be saved... i still think it's unnecessary

but i guess that's just me

and yes, i'm still waiting for ranks and secure logins, but noooooo, people still have to have their petty suggestions fulfilled... sheesh

SargeMcCluck
16 Oct 2004, 14:46
and yes, i'm still waiting for ranks and secure logins, but noooooo, people still have to have their petty suggestions fulfilled... sheesh

Actually, if you paid any attention to what Deadcode says, you'd know that it's not people requesting things that is delaying ranks and secure logins. Deadcode is delaying it himself.

Stop being such a whiney ***** - It's nothing to do with anyone except Deadcode. And he's not going to implement them until he's happy with the security of the WA client. Which he is working on. You can't just flick a switch and have secure logins and ranks. Do that, and it will be just as abuseable as before. And as people know of the abuse, and quite a few people know how to abuse it, they would be broken within days.

I expected better of you - You're an old member of the community, surely you know by now that actually reading what is happening is a better idea than basing ideas on what you see to be happening. That's what newbies do...

Chip
16 Oct 2004, 15:46
Yes, it is a good idea.

Me too. Hey chip, I don't suppose you are any good with the Fiddler? Because I have a weapon that won't do what I want. It's a really good idea but it just won't work.

I was a master with the fiddler - then I got Win XP and I could never use it ever again.
I have a bunch of schemes and weapon modules waiting for the beta updates which backed up. Hopeing that the beta patch with weapon editing will come soon.
Some people have got the Fiddler to work with a bunch of programs, however, I tried to get it working but It never would and it requires the USA version of WA so I'm left out of the Fiddler fun.

I made a bunch of cool weapons with the fiddler which are as follows:

Grenade launcher,
Dart gun,
Fire storm cannon,
Nail bomb,
Gas grenade,
Worm strike (Really it came with the fiddler)
Homing Cluster,
Homing Air strike,
Touch of death,
Rocket punch,
Cluster strike,
Cloned sheep,
Cow launcher,
Virus link (Very nasty dynamite type weapon)
Voo Doo doll (Always hit an enemy worm no matter where it was)
Kamakazi piolot,

Thats the ones I remember anyway,

Anyway - that weapon of yours. What do you want it to do and I will try and find a way to get it to work.
And as soon as the later beta patch with fiddler support comes out I will be able to see your weapon in action and see what it turns out like.

PsyDome
16 Oct 2004, 21:20
Actually, if you paid any attention to what Deadcode says, you'd know that it's not people requesting things that is delaying ranks and secure logins. Deadcode is delaying it himself.

Stop being such a whiney ***** - It's nothing to do with anyone except Deadcode. And he's not going to implement them until he's happy with the security of the WA client. Which he is working on. You can't just flick a switch and have secure logins and ranks. Do that, and it will be just as abuseable as before. And as people know of the abuse, and quite a few people know how to abuse it, they would be broken within days.

I expected better of you - You're an old member of the community, surely you know by now that actually reading what is happening is a better idea than basing ideas on what you see to be happening. That's what newbies do...
oh, i know well enough what's happening, and i do know that deadcode wont touch rankings and logins until the game is absolutely bug-free.

but i know that deadcode takes suggestions very seriously, and spends alot of time implementing them... i'm fairly sure he hasn't come up with even half of everything that has been implemented

and furthermore, most of what has to be fixed right now, is cause of what's been implemented, wether necessary or not...

SargeMcCluck
16 Oct 2004, 21:42
oh, i know well enough what's happening, and i do know that deadcode wont touch rankings and logins until the game is absolutely bug-free.

but i know that deadcode takes suggestions very seriously, and spends alot of time implementing them... i'm fairly sure he hasn't come up with even half of everything that has been implemented

and furthermore, most of what has to be fixed right now, is cause of what's been implemented, wether necessary or not...

I've gone through the entire readme of WA 3.6.22.1, and I can see less than 10 things in the entire list that Deadcode didn't implement purely by his own ideas.

Obviously I ignored bug fixes - But bugs should be fixed, and not even you're silly enough to say the bugs should be left in.

Deadcode does come up with most of the ideas. I've seen several ideas posted on here that Deadcode has already told me about days or even weeks in advance. He's open to ideas, but most of the ideas people think of he's already planning to implement. And the ideas that most people come up with are obvious, and the non-obvious ones are usually totally retarded.

And most of the fixes don't take him very long AFAIK. I've talked to him on MSN for a bit and he's fixed several bugs during one conversation many times. Most of the major bugs are gone, and the bugs nowadays are mistakes on his behalf, rather than requiring a lot of code or whatever.

At least that's what I've gathered from the long chats I've had with him about all this stuff. Obviously I'm not psychic and I might be wrong here and there, but I think it's pretty accurate.

Chip
16 Oct 2004, 21:44
"PsyDome", why do you have some kind of Telly tubby for an avatar?

I should really get an avatar shouldn't I.

PsyDome
16 Oct 2004, 21:54
At least that's what I've gathered from the long chats I've had with him about all this stuff. Obviously I'm not psychic and I might be wrong here and there, but I think it's pretty accurate.
well then, so most of the unnecessary (not as in every idea i unnecessary) ideas are his, the difference is small

im thoroughly happy about someone actually doing something, but i honestly think priorities have been messed up
"PsyDome", why do you have some kind of Telly tubby for an avatar?
because tele tubbies suck?

Squirminator2k
16 Oct 2004, 22:32
no one has, up until now, even suggested (afaik) that replays be saved... i still think it's unnecessary
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Deadcode himself say that Recordable Replays were gonig to become an essential part of how the new online Ranking system works?

PsyDome
16 Oct 2004, 22:50
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Deadcode himself say that Recordable Replays were gonig to become an essential part of how the new online Ranking system works?
he sure did, but he's not working on rankings, right now...

so, the way they are used now, is unnecessary, but when they work with rankings (for validation-purpose i pressume) they will be most useful (if needed)

Squirminator2k
17 Oct 2004, 00:09
he sure did, but he's not working on rankings, right now...

so, the way they are used now, is unnecessary, but when they work with rankings (for validation-purpose i pressume) they will be most useful (if needed)
True, but I'm sure it's going to be a lot better in the long run, for the Big Picture if you will, that Replays work now so that when Secure Rankings are up and running Deadcode doesn't need to go in and change the Replay code because of a bug, potentially having to shut down (or re-set the settings for) the Rankings in the process - I'm sure if Deadcode found a glitch with the Replay system not long after enabling the Rankings again, if he had to tweak it in such a way that all Rank data was lost you'd be unhappy.

It's a Cache 22 situaton, really: Team17 got a lot of flack for promising a patch they didn't (couldn't?) deliver, and now they've got somenoe actually working on it people are bound to complain about this and that. Really it's better that this gets sorted now then to have to cause unnecessary curfuffle in the future - Team17 learnt that the hard way with Worms3D's online shenannigans.

XxDangerxX
17 Oct 2004, 13:01
I was a master with the fiddler - then I got Win XP and I could never use it ever again.
I have a bunch of schemes and weapon modules waiting for the beta updates which backed up. Hopeing that the beta patch with weapon editing will come soon.
Some people have got the Fiddler to work with a bunch of programs, however, I tried to get it working but It never would and it requires the USA version of WA so I'm left out of the Fiddler fun.

I made a bunch of cool weapons with the fiddler which are as follows:

Grenade launcher,
Dart gun,
Fire storm cannon,
Nail bomb,
Gas grenade,
Worm strike (Really it came with the fiddler)
Homing Cluster,
Homing Air strike,
Touch of death,
Rocket punch,
Cluster strike,
Cloned sheep,
Cow launcher,
Virus link (Very nasty dynamite type weapon)
Voo Doo doll (Always hit an enemy worm no matter where it was)
Kamakazi piolot,

Thats the ones I remember anyway,

Anyway - that weapon of yours. What do you want it to do and I will try and find a way to get it to work.
And as soon as the later beta patch with fiddler support comes out I will be able to see your weapon in action and see what it turns out like.
could you give me that fiddle? Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepl ease!!! Also, I fixed the weapon that was causing trouble. Apparently, it was set to "Don't Home". As I write this I can barely hold myself from laughing hysterically, it was such a stupid mistake. And for anyone who wants it, or anyone who knows someone who wants it, here is the fiddle.

P.S.
Spare me the irony of posting such a thing in a thread all about patch updates, which is what the fiddler does not work with. Some people might just have the same setup as me (Newer, more powerful computer; runs recent versions / another, normally older, less powerful computer; runs The Fiddler).
Also, now I've got IE working again, (for like half a year now lol) I can post my replays of my rise to the top...

Chip
17 Oct 2004, 16:30
I have a bunch of weapon moduals which aren't in a scheme, I'll give you these.
Place the weapon which sounds good over an existing crappy weapon.

If I find any more then I'll put them up here.

xOGCxmoses
17 Oct 2004, 17:50

dont know?!

and i dont know why people are complaining about them today either. ive been playing about 10.5 months now and it seems to me too many people complain about the oddest things.

Deadcode has really come up with some great enhancements to this aged game, and why so many people are so overly concerned about the small insignificant issues as to other people talking in private is very trite!

for the most part, they arent talking about you, so dont worry about it. just play the game.

SargeMcCluck
17 Oct 2004, 18:26
dont know?!

and i dont know why people are complaining about them today either. ive been playing about 10.5 months now and it seems to me too many people complain about the oddest things.

Deadcode has really come up with some great enhancements to this aged game, and why so many people are so overly concerned about the small insignificant issues as to other people talking in private is very trite!

for the most part, they arent talking about you, so dont worry about it. just play the game.

Umm. You've kind of missed the entire point of the problem.
Say there's a 2v2 game going on. One team whispers to the other "rope to that worm, and drop our nana".
If the other team is abusing the current security issue, they could read that message, and so move their worm, and they'd also then know that their opponent has a nana.

This is a [quite] major security risk for WA imho.

Deadcode
20 Oct 2004, 05:06
I've gone through the entire readme of WA 3.6.22.1, and I can see less than 10 things in the entire list that Deadcode didn't implement purely by his own ideas.You're being very conservative there. I counted 18 features that weren't my own ideas, and that's just in the new betas (3.6 onward).

double post edit:

This is a [quite] major security risk for WA imho.The reason the loophole is there is that I wanted replays to be intact and playable in the event of a crash, all the way up to the point at which the crash happened. The loophole existed before the Extract Log feature. I realized it was there even before the release of v3.6, but I made a choice not to cripple the replay feature and to defer a solution to this problem until I had an idea of how to do so elegantly.

The next release will have a rudimentary solution that will prevent casual snoopers from watching a replay in progress. Before v4.0, there will be a robust solution, involving encryption and datetime querying from a trusted server; since games ending in a disconnection will be resumable, the replays will have to be unlocked before they can be played back (or log-extracted) with full information including allied chat and crate spying. The simplest way of unlocking would be to resume and finish the game. Beyond that, I haven't ironed out the details.

SargeMcCluck
20 Oct 2004, 11:13
You're being very conservative there. I counted 18 features that weren't my own ideas, and that's just in the new betas (3.6 onward).

18? Hmmmm. Get on MSN! <-- Wait, you are. Nevermind.

I ignored the Beta 1/2 because it wasn't *just* you that worked on them AFAIK (Didn't Lion do a bit, if not much work?)

Deadcode
20 Oct 2004, 13:00
I ignored the Beta 1/2 because it wasn't *just* you that worked on them AFAIK (Didn't Lion do a bit, if not much work?)Yeah, I didn't count it either, as I said. :-) (Not a single thing in the list can be attributed to Lion, except the font chopping bug in Beta 1 which I had to fix. There's just one thing I didn't do myself: the in-game chat line editing.)

Chip
21 Oct 2004, 21:42
Out of curiosity, I was woundering with this "Extract map" and "Extract schemes" feature, does this mean you can extract a map from the trainings and missions?

Star Worms
21 Oct 2004, 23:20
The replay files aren't *really* replays at all. They contain the map, the scheme and the data from the game. The extract map and scheme options just takes that map/scheme from the replay and puts it into your "Saved Levels" or "Schemes" folder so you can use them in a game.

double post edit:

I haven't tried extracting a map from a mission/training but it should work. I'm sure they're in a folder somewhere though.

Glenn
21 Oct 2004, 23:34
I haven't tried extracting a map from a mission/training but it should work. I'm sure they're in a folder somewhere though.
As far as I've found, the only things on the disk are the thumbnails (or is it on the hd?). I know there's probably a site out there for it, but I can't be bothered to find it.

Anyway, I tried it, and here's my results:
Trying to extract a map from a mission results in 'Error, this map is not extractable.'
Trying to extract a scheme is successful.

Madmaxquinn
21 Oct 2004, 23:36
Trying to extract a map from a mission results in 'Error, this map is not extractable.'

This would make sense as you have to unlock those maps by beating the mission.

TonY
22 Oct 2004, 00:30
That's how it works in W3D, right? (The unlocking maps thing)

If you try to extract a mission map it says "Error: The map is not exportable." If you want to play any WWP/W:A mission maps, they're located on the CD and can be extracted (and made into a BMP) using the sprite editor. But aren't at least some of the mission maps in the drop-down menu?

Glenn
22 Oct 2004, 01:12
If you try to extract a mission map it says "Error: The map is not exportable." If you want to play any WWP/W:A mission maps, they're located on the CD and can be extracted (and made into a BMP) using the sprite editor. But aren't at least some of the mission maps in the drop-down menu?
Yes, they are in the drop down menu (assuming you've beaten the mission), but the idea is probably to either edit the map or use objects from the map in your own.

TonY
22 Oct 2004, 01:23
Only the missions that you've beaten are in the drop-down menu? Really?! I beat them w/o noticing that. :p

Anyway, if that's what you want to do then the method I stated would be the best; also, if all you want is to include an object from a map in your own map you could just make the background black and take a screenshot :)

Deadcode
22 Oct 2004, 02:34
Out of curiosity, I was woundering with this "Extract map" and "Extract schemes" feature, does this mean you can extract a map from the trainings and missions?No, because mission/training replays only point to maps on the CD. You may load these maps, however; copy them from W:\Data\Mission (where W: is your WA CD-ROM) to your User\SavedLevels tree. Then open the .IMG files from the Level Editor.

TonY
22 Oct 2004, 03:31
Wow.. really!? I had no idea you could load them in multiplayer games without converting them to a BMP or PNG first! :D

XxDangerxX
22 Oct 2004, 07:10
There's still just one thing that I don't know. Super Sheep to the Rescue. What's with that map? That's the map I've always wanted the absolute most and the only one I've never been able to get. I've got all the sufficient hack programs (namely James Heather's Sprite Editor), but there's no file for it. When I beat the mission, and I try to get the map to play with it, It's not there. It just comes up with a different map that I've bever seen called "Sci". How do I get this map?

Deadcode
22 Oct 2004, 12:57
There's still just one thing that I don't know. Super Sheep to the Rescue. What's with that map? That's the map I've always wanted the absolute most and the only one I've never been able to get. I've got all the sufficient hack programs (namely James Heather's Sprite Editor), but there's no file for it. When I beat the mission, and I try to get the map to play with it, It's not there. It just comes up with a different map that I've bever seen called "Sci". How do I get this map?
Copy \Data\Mission\mission26.IMG from your W:A CD-ROM into your User\SavedLevels folder. Go into the Level Editor in W:A. Load mission26.IMG.

evan18h
26 Oct 2004, 03:33
How hard would it be to increase the capabilities of the AI in W:A? At least to where they can use more weapons or even ropes? Maybe include some sort of neural network to learn moves from human players or like some sort of hardcore roping simulation so it can think ahead for best possible positions for ropes and figure out how to do it...like rope from A to B finding the best route using ropes.
Wouldn't it be cool if you can do RR competitions and Shoppers with the AI!

PsyDome
26 Oct 2004, 08:18
Wouldn't it be cool if you can do RR competitions and Shoppers with the AI!wouldn't it be even cooler if you did it against real players?

Squirminator2k
26 Oct 2004, 08:32
wouldn't it be even cooler if you did it against real players?
Rope Races aren't cool no matter who your opponent is.

PsyDome
26 Oct 2004, 10:20
Rope Races aren't cool no matter who your opponent is.
neither are shoppers, but for those that play them, i bet real players are better than AI, no matter how good the AI is

AndrewTaylor
26 Oct 2004, 12:40
neither are shoppers, but for those that play them, i bet real players are better than AI, no matter how good the AI is
That's because the AI is designed to play Proper* Worms. Asking it to play a shopper, or (worse) a rope race, is like asking David Beckham to play chess: granted it happens in the same universe -- you could play chess on a football pitch if you wanted to (though not during a game, unless you had one of those awful magnetic dealies) -- but the game is so different his poor little brain just wouldn't be able to cope. The AI doesn't know the rules. It just wants to hurt you.

In theory you could make RR suitable AI, but you'd need to specify the start and end points somehow, and the AI would have to be very advanced for something nobody would see much of. It wouldn't be an efficient use of anyone's time if you ask me.

Madmaxquinn
26 Oct 2004, 13:53
I can remember when Worms was a turn-based strategy game with a difference. Those days are long gone. The game has changed and is there is no turning back.

*The word "proper". Look it up. In a dictionary.

Click here (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=proper)

MrBunsy
26 Oct 2004, 14:05
thats how I still play worms. and I've played several games like that on WA wormnet.

Run
26 Oct 2004, 14:15
I can remember when Worms was a turn-based strategy game with a difference. Those days are long gone. The game has changed

Well it's still turn-based, so it's a game without a difference?

What is it exactly identical to, nowadays, that isn't itself then?

TonY
26 Oct 2004, 14:56
Who even bothered suggesting a roping bot? Worst idea ever.. :eek:

wccSplintr
26 Oct 2004, 16:31
What is it exactly identical to, nowadays, that isn't itself then?
Worms World Party :)

evan18h
26 Oct 2004, 19:19
Who even bothered suggesting a roping bot? Worst idea ever.. :eek:

I didn't suggest anyone to make it, I just wanted to see what people thought about it.

SargeMcCluck
26 Oct 2004, 19:27
Worms World Party :)

They're not identical. Just similar.

Edit: And Worms World Party is worms anyway. He said "I can remember when Worms was a turn-based strategy game with a difference."

They're both worms. So your statement was just silly.

Madmaxquinn
26 Oct 2004, 19:36
The easiest way for anyone to understand what I was trying to get across would be to uninstall all their Worms games and play a game of Worms 1 or Worms: DC against a friend.

Then reinstall the other Worms titles and play those. You'll notice how far the game has come technically but you'll hopefully realise that three elements are missing from W:A and WWP, especially online:-

Fun, strategy and (re)playability.

Run
26 Oct 2004, 21:26
Fun, strategy and (re)playability.

Well it must differ from person to person. I've been enjoying online worms for a good three or four years, so it's definitely replayable. It's the fun that keeps me there. And there's plenty of strategy in T17 scheme.

Besides,

I can remember when Worms was a turn-based strategy game with a difference. Those days are long gone. The game has changed and is there is no turning back.

Yes there is: "uninstall all their Worms games and play a game of Worms 1 or Worms: DC"
You said it yourself.

Madmaxquinn
26 Oct 2004, 21:39
I haven't enjoyed a decent games of Worms online in over 4 years and haven't played a single human game since I left Uni (and my flatmates) behind.
You're right, Run, there's plenty of strategy in T17 scheme but I'll be damned if I can find a single person on WormNet nowerdays prepared to play it. In the days of old I could log on to wormnet and be playing a game of Worms against a complete stranger in a matter of seconds. Now it takes hours to find someone willing to play a sensible scheme or a friendly game or two. And it you would have to be extremely lucky to finish a whole game without someone quitting halfway through or at the end of round one.

Glenn
27 Oct 2004, 01:51
You're right, Run, there's plenty of strategy in T17 scheme but I'll be damned if I can find a single person on WormNet nowerdays prepared to play it. In the days of old I could log on to wormnet and be playing a game of Worms against a complete stranger in a matter of seconds. Now it takes hours to find someone willing to play a sensible scheme or a friendly game or two. And it you would have to be extremely lucky to finish a whole game without someone quitting halfway through or at the end of round one.
If you find me online, ask me for a game, I'll play almost anything. I may suck at bng (I'm working on that), but I do well at T17, normal, elite, and other non-rope gametypes. That goes for anyone else as well ;).

asylumjim
27 Oct 2004, 04:11
If you see me on wormnet I am always hosting a normal game but Im always open to suggestions to suit the people who join.

evan18h
27 Oct 2004, 04:15
I haven't enjoyed a decent games of Worms online in over 4 years and haven't played a single human game since I left Uni (and my flatmates) behind.

Yeah thats how it is, I remember playing this game a long time ago when it was hard to find a copy of the game in the USA (its impossible today) but I would play the demo version and it was insane, lots of fun battling....I even played this game at LAN parties! But now I haven't seen many battle schemes without ropes on WormNet...but its still fun anyways even if it is with ropes.

wccSplintr
27 Oct 2004, 10:28
Why does noone like games with ropes???

And what is W: DC?

Cyclaws
27 Oct 2004, 12:30
Why does noone like games with ropes???

W: DC is Worms Directors Cut.

bonz
27 Oct 2004, 12:38
http://worms.team17.com/wormsdc.html
http://www.wormiverse.com/dream17/softography_wormsdc_main.html

i'm getting sick of all those rope games too!
i really like CTF, holy war & axis vs. allies

i even thought about founding an oldschool worms clan

Run
27 Oct 2004, 12:49
Now it takes hours to find someone willing to play a sensible scheme or a friendly game or two.

Then get MSN, and get a list of (sensible friendly) people who are almost always willing to go for a game. I can recommend loads.

Organising a game outside of wormnet is normally the only way to do it, nowadays. But there are so many people I know who are willing to play a sensible friendly game (and I know them by hosting, waiting for them to join and seeing how I get on with them) that I normally only have to wait in #ag for ten or fifteen minutes before one shows up. Sometimes there's a group of them.

But still, organising outside is probably best. For that you need to know people.

Swed Simon
27 Oct 2004, 13:39
You're right, Run, there's plenty of strategy in T17 scheme but I'll be damned if I can find a single person on WormNet nowerdays prepared to play it. In the days of old I could log on to wormnet and be playing a game of Worms against a complete stranger in a matter of seconds. Now it takes hours to find someone willing to play a sensible scheme or a friendly game or two. And it you would have to be extremely lucky to finish a whole game without someone quitting halfway through or at the end of round one.If you play elite then I'll maybe challange you sometime, to many people I know just wants to play W3D now days (traitors).

sergelac
27 Oct 2004, 18:15
i'm getting sick of all those rope games too!
me too, i hate rope games

they should create 2 wormnet
1 for rope and shopping
1 for nomal games starting with weapons

or

prevent people from starting rope games in the #AnyThingGoes channel
ropes games should be only in the channel #RopersHeaven
add a channel for shopping games

Seita
27 Oct 2004, 18:19

YEah, ive been trying to help that way on WWP, but never worked.

Madmaxquinn
27 Oct 2004, 18:59
Swed Simon, Run and anyone else out there who is willing to play T17, Elite or Tournament settings my MSN addy is my forum nick @hotmail.com

I haven't played a decent game of W:A in over a year so I'm willing to give it another go.

MMQ

realfoe
27 Oct 2004, 19:41

YEah, ive been trying to help that way on WWP, but never worked.

i think its called anything goes because anything goes.
maybe their should be a chanel just for the type of game you like like

normal
forts
bngs

so you can be the one swapping between chanels when you fancy a change.

Madmaxquinn
27 Oct 2004, 19:59
The issue remains that there are more rope games in AG than in RH.

Run
27 Oct 2004, 20:05
Why does that matter? Moving the rope games is not going to suddenly create more non-rope games.

And they don't make non-rope games difficult to find. At most there's what, ten games at any one time? On a scrollable list of six?

Madmaxquinn
27 Oct 2004, 20:18
I think it will make it easier to find non rope games

realfoe
27 Oct 2004, 20:37
The issue remains that there are more rope games in AG than in RH.

if there was a normal chanel you might find more normals being played in anything goes than in the chanel, the same for any game type.

I think maybe the answer might be a filter so you can only see the game types you like. that way people can still stay in contact with m8s without hoping chanel to chanel.

Edit : if you baned roping games from ag you wouldnt get anyone going in there except from the odd time when you would get a noob who just opened the wa pack on xmass asking what patch.

ask ropers for a normal game they might just say yes.

TonY
28 Oct 2004, 00:05
Not that many people play W:A online; I would understand if there were over 50 people online at any given time it might be easier to go to a certain room to look for a specific game you want, but people go to AG to find people.. not games.. I'll play anything with a good mate. :)

XxDangerxX
28 Oct 2004, 05:55
I think realfoe has something against double letters.
baned? hoping? chanel?
How about banned, hopping, and channel?

On the relevant note, I am all for normal games. So much so, that I have virtually every scheme ever made. If you joined my game one time and picked a weapon, I would have a scheme all about that weapon. Unfortunately, when I ask any joiners to do so, they ALWAYS pick the ninja rope. (sobs) ;.-(
BTW, that smiley is meant to look like a sad face with a tear rolling down it.

So for anyone who wants to meet me on MSN to make a time to get online, my email is
zekeporter@fishinternet.com.au

Happy roping

ummm i mean fighting

wotevr

Run
28 Oct 2004, 08:39
I think it will make it easier to find non rope games

So att he end of the day, that's what's been stopping you from playing fun games and meeting new people over the last 3 years or so? You can't scroll through a list of around ten?

Me thinks you're scraping the barrel for excuses here.

Madmaxquinn
28 Oct 2004, 08:45
You can't scroll through a list of around ten?

I don't quite follow. Over the last two years when I've connected to WormNet and connected to games the majority of them were ropers. Those that weren't were set up by clans waiting for members and/or other people.

Plutonic
28 Oct 2004, 16:38
msn is the best way to do it, but i see non rope games online sometimes. (i only go online about once every 2 weeks) It realy is dead in there so i dont see it being a huge issue - wait till the ranks are introduced and we will probably see things work themselves out.

realfoe
28 Oct 2004, 19:11
I think realfoe has something against double letters.
baned? hoping? chanel?
How about banned, hopping, and channel?

On the relevant note, I am all for normal games. So much so, that I have virtually every scheme ever made. If you joined my game one time and picked a weapon, I would have a scheme all about that weapon. Unfortunately, when I ask any joiners to do so, they ALWAYS pick the ninja rope. (sobs) ;.-(
BTW, that smiley is meant to look like a sad face with a tear rolling down it.

So for anyone who wants to meet me on MSN to make a time to get online, my email is
zekeporter@fishinternet.com.au

Happy roping

ummm i mean fighting

wotevr

sory...aolt of teh tmie i am diong two tginhs at a tmie and mkae mitaskes at tiynpg, i hpoe you can fgvoire me.

edit: oops i forgot to change my post...

if there was a normal chanel you might find more normals being played in anything goes than in the channel, the same for any game type.

I think maybe the answer might be a filter so you can only see the game types you like. that way people can still stay in contact with m8s without hopping chanel to chanel.

Edit : if you banned roping games from ag you wouldnt get anyone going in there except from the odd time when you would get a noob who just opened the wa pack on xmass asking what patch.

phew im glad thats over ... I hoppe peopple doont nottice my lasst poosst they migght nootice rubish at speling

edit again: er wheres my manners i forgot to say thanks danger :)

Chip
28 Oct 2004, 21:38
phew im glad thats over ... I hoppe peopple doont nottice my lasst poosst they migght nootice rubish at speling

if there was a normal chanel you might find more normals being played in anything goes than in the chanel, the same for any game type.

I think maybe the answer might be a filter so you can only see the game types you like. that way people can still stay in contact with m8s without hoping chanel to chanel.

Edit : if you baned roping games from ag you wouldnt get anyone going in there except from the odd time when you would get a noob who just opened the wa pack on xmass asking what patch.

SP Chanel -> Channel
SP Baned -> Banned
SP M8s -> not a word in the dictionary
SP Hoping -> Hopping
SP Normals -> not a word in the dictionary
SP ag -> not a word in the dictionary
GR Wouldnt -> Wouldn't
SP Noop -> not a word in the dictionary
SP xmass -> X-mass

Sorry, just could't resist it :D

realfoe
28 Oct 2004, 23:49
ok thx m8.. oops thanks mate . i will change it in the morning im to tired now.

AndrewTaylor
29 Oct 2004, 14:32
SP Normals -> not a word in the dictionary
SP ag -> not a word in the dictionary
SP Noop -> not a word in the dictionary
normals plural n.
Lines drawn at right angles to other lines or planes. See tangents.

ag adj. Informal
Of or relating to agriculture or agricultural studies: ag students.

noop n.
1. A machine instruction that does nothing (sometimes used in assembler-level programming as filler for data or patch areas, or to overwrite code to be removed in binaries). See also JFCL.

2. A person who contributes nothing to a project, or has nothing going on upstairs, or both. As in "He's a no-op."

3. Any operation or sequence of operations with no effect, such as circling the block without finding a parking space, or putting money into a vending machine and having it fall immediately into the coin-return box, or asking someone for help and being told to go away. "Oh, well, that was a no-op." Hot-and-sour soup that is insufficiently either is "no-op soup"; so is wonton soup if everybody else is having hot-and-sour.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Edit:
SP Xmass -> X-mass -> X-Mas

Run
29 Oct 2004, 15:32
Y'see, I was going to say something but feared it was too off-topic and would get deleted.... then along comes a moderator and does it anyway :)

That'll show me.

Chip
29 Oct 2004, 15:35
Well, I used the MS-Word dictonary (American) to find out those spellings, don't blame me - blame Microsoft!

Run
29 Oct 2004, 15:57
We'll blame you for trusting Microsoft ;)

Anyway, we should end this.

Chip
29 Oct 2004, 17:06
I'll start the next topic off then,

Mole bombs - missing a few frames, will it be sorted in the next patch?

Has anyone else noticed that with the mole bombs?, well its not the mole bomb itself, its the worm frames holding it. I looked at it and it didn't look smoothly when going from worm to worm with Mole and also there is no slanted frame for when the worm is on a slanted peice of terrain, it uses the standing flat frame. Go look at it and see what I mean.

Well, its not really a big issue, but small things do make a big difference.

impulsatio
29 Oct 2004, 17:48
You know when your in a wating room... waiting for more ppl to come into the room so u can play..or whatever..u could have a "split screen" or sumthin of the sort ; between the channel u were in before u came into the room so u can continue chat or whatever.....jus a thought

realfoe
29 Oct 2004, 18:30
agreed ,anyway I will take number 2 Andrew.
could wa please be made so you can load the maps without going into the editor just like being able to load missions also could it also remember the number of worms for a scheme and that last scheme loaded in as this would make a better way to test battle race maps that have tricky jumps.

XxDangerxX
30 Oct 2004, 03:11
In English?

Run
30 Oct 2004, 10:11
He means, "Include custom maps in the drop-down menu where official maps are stored"

realfoe
30 Oct 2004, 14:17
In English?

yes it must be done in english.

Swed Simon
30 Oct 2004, 14:30
Word games doesn't makes anything better...

realfoe
30 Oct 2004, 14:39
maybe the best thing for us to do is to use the ignor people we don't like or cant understand, thats what im going to do because this could go on for years, and its very dull.

edit: anyway the americans have been missing the letter u out of colour for along time,go and bug them about it.go on ,run along

Terms and Conditions of reading RealFoes posts
1: RelFoe reserves
the right to misspell anything he fooking wants in any posts he makes, including all posts past and Present
2 failure to adhere to the above rules shall be taken as an attack on the the poster and the attacker shall be added to the ignore list.

edit again: i have coloured my battle race 11 map and its at wmdb.org if anyone wants it

This message is hidden because XxDangerxX is on your ignore list. ahhh silence ...should have to pay this service.

XxDangerxX
31 Oct 2004, 02:38
That kind of language will get you watched, mate.

And I believe there was another part to realfoe's post. Something about a scheme. I couldn't understand that either.

Chip
2 Nov 2004, 20:18
A problem that needs sorting,

I just had a match on worms and came across a problem which I thought was removed,

It was 2 rounds to win a match,
Stockpilling on or off - the one where you get one set of ammo and it has to last through the next 2 battles.
I had a caven match first,
Then I had a normal match - then I noticed that I had lost all my air strike weapons.

The strike weapons were taken off on the caven match as the game does but because ammo must last - the game thought it would be funny not to give me them back so I lost 4 strike weapons.

I remember reading something about this bug a very long time ago but can't remember where or when and what it said about it.

So could this be fixed?

RastaMahata
3 Nov 2004, 00:12
A problem that needs sorting,

I just had a match on worms and came across a problem which I thought was removed,

It was 2 rounds to win a match,
Stockpilling on or off - the one where you get one set of ammo and it has to last through the next 2 battles.
I had a caven match first,
Then I had a normal match - then I noticed that I had lost all my air strike weapons.

The strike weapons were taken off on the caven match as the game does but because ammo must last - the game thought it would be funny not to give me them back so I lost 4 strike weapons.

I remember reading something about this bug a very long time ago but can't remember where or when and what it said about it.

So could this be fixed?

Yeah, I checked too, it's true. :(

sergelac
3 Nov 2004, 14:32
why the Concrete Donkey was taken off for the cavern match ?
it was useful for killing worms near the top of the screen

Glenn
3 Nov 2004, 14:54
Maybe because... the Concrete Donkey is an air strike weapon and thus behaves the same way? :p

Run
3 Nov 2004, 15:11
why the Concrete Donkey was taken off for the cavern match ?
it was useful for killing worms near the top of the screen

And useless for killing worms near the bottom of the screen? :rolleyes:

wccSplintr
3 Nov 2004, 16:10
What did happen if you used concrete donkey in a cavern match? Didn't it just bounce forever? Effectively crashing the game?

bonz
3 Nov 2004, 16:21
airstrike weapons are never available in cavern type levels,
regardless of which scheme you have.
(besides, in a cavern, airstrikes would never really reach the terrain, as there's an indestructible border on top)

chip's problem was, that he used anti-stockpiling (one set of weapons for more than one round)
and switched the map type from cavern to open in between

RastaMahata
3 Nov 2004, 16:25
yeah.

Anyway, Chip's problem needs to be fixed. This is what he means:

You set stockpilling Off (You dont receive any more weapons for the next rounds, the weapons you receive in the first round satay forever).
The first round you play an island map. Everything goes well, you get your airstrikes and everyone's happy. You leave some for the next round.
The second round is a cavern map. You cant use the airstrike here, so you dont see it when you right click.
Third round, an island again: You magically lost the airstrikes and every air strike weapon you had (napalm, donkey, etc) you saved from the first round.

This needs to get fixed!

Plutonic
3 Nov 2004, 18:21
What did happen if you used concrete donkey in a cavern match? Didn't it just bounce forever? Effectively crashing the game?

nope, it blows up just after it stops bouncing. It takes a while but it does do it.
Its the same on islands with indestructable terrain set.

XxDangerxX
4 Nov 2004, 09:48
Does that really work? :D Getting airstrikes in a cavern? If it does, I should try it sometime. ASAP, perhaps.

*AHEM*
Now; prepare yourselves for a long post:

I have some requests for DC to consider for his next update:

Water colours and flaming health bars would be nice, and if they're not implemented in a pre-Fiddler patch, then they should be implemented in the introduction to the Fiddler patch. If they're not, I'll presume that there is something mentally wrong with DC.
Flawless.wav: Could that be played if you haven't lost a single worm, rather than if you haven't lost a single hitpoint? The file will never be played otherwise. I mean it's hard enough to keep all your worms, even if they do lose some HP.
Could we have a *bak.spr when you put a weapon away to get out another? I've noticed all you ever see is the *lnk.spr.
Could we have replays as an option in the options menu, so if W: A is running and you want to watch the replay of the game you just played, and you don't want to quit and explore to the replays folder... Y'kno?
[BUGFIX] : See this replay. It's recorded the moves that my worms made, but they were supposed to be for a different map altogether! Thus completely stuffing up the replay... The map was Polar from the "Cool As Ice" mission. So I'm guessing, the problem is something like it doesn't record the map but still has the moves but changes the moves for the CPU accordingly. Could you look into this, please?

AndrewTaylor
4 Nov 2004, 10:57
What did happen if you used concrete donkey in a cavern match?
I used Fiddler once to create the Donkey-In-A-Bomb. Solved the problem beautifully, it did. I put it into the mortar so it wouldn't be too predictable, and when the mortar expolded it turned into a Donkey instead of clusters. That was a fun day.

PsyDome
4 Nov 2004, 13:17
flaming health bars would be nice, and if they're not implemented in a pre-Fiddler patch, then they should be implemented in the introduction to the Fiddler patch. If they're not, I'll presume that there is something mentally wrong with DC.
flaming healthbars are for those above 220 (?) points in the standard league, which are right now disabled, but will hopefully be enabled soon, thus, you shouldn't be able to just add it whenever you want to

Run
4 Nov 2004, 13:43
Could we have replays as an option in the options menu, so if W: A is running and you want to watch the replay of the game you just played, and you don't want to quit and explore to the replays folder... Y'kno?

This is no perfect solution, but it saves some trouble to have a shortcut on your desktop straight to the User directory. I've used it a lot, it certainly saves time.

Chip
4 Nov 2004, 16:00
Another suggestion - can morta be made slightly more powerful, I like the weapon but when it comes crashing down onto a worm, each cluster does around 6 damage -> 5 clusters = total 30ish but all clusters wont hit a single worm so it wont even do the 30 damage.

wccSplintr
4 Nov 2004, 20:08
When you start an rr, sometimes you drop your worms from a height to get them all in same place. If you have fall damage on, the first couple get, say, 4 damage, but then the rest get 5, 6, 7, etc? Not really a problem but I just wondered why?

Madmaxquinn
4 Nov 2004, 20:21
Another rr related request!?

Maybe T17 should re-release W:A and brand it Ropeageddon: the end of normal Worms

*crumpets*
4 Nov 2004, 20:22

Maybe T17 should re-release W:A and brand it Ropeageddon: the end of normal Worms
I agree, to many ropers, not enough good ol' BnG.

wccSplintr
4 Nov 2004, 20:36

You don't have to rope?!?!?! I just prefer easier games as they are more fun. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean no one else should.

Swed Simon
4 Nov 2004, 20:45
Using rope is not retareded, but rope games are.

Edit:
I got in that shopper tournament cause of an accident for the last time! You need to read the last page of Cyclaws old tournament thread to understand why.

XxDangerxX
4 Nov 2004, 21:14
Did ANYONE read the whole of my post?
All I've got is replies to the flaming powerbars and the replays option. I had 3 requests, y'kno...

double post edit:

I take it you have never used The Fiddler. There are no "infinite" weapons in the game. The Donkey will explode after about 16 seconds. The thing is, though, the 16 secs will never be up by the time the donkey hits the bottom of the ocean. Also, some people will notice that when they have Low Gravity on and they fire a Bazooka, it skims and skims and skims and skims and skims and skims and skims and skims and skims and skims and skims until it hits "an invisible wall" far off to the right long after it has disappeared from view and has the little coloured arrow indicating it's position off screen.
WRONG! It explodes after 9 seconds, as you will see in a replay with the latest version of W: A.

realfoe
4 Nov 2004, 21:35
You don't have to rope?!?!?! I just prefer easier games as they are more fun. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean no one else should.

I agree. ban the bomb,not the rope.

Run
4 Nov 2004, 23:37

It's not a request, it's a bug.

Madmaxquinn
4 Nov 2004, 23:58

It relates to a custom game mode whose rules and objectives fall outside of the original Worms gameplay and set-up. Therefore, in my book, it is a request and not really a bug.

Glenn
5 Nov 2004, 01:10
It relates to a custom game mode whose rules and objectives fall outside of the original Worms gameplay and set-up. Therefore, in my book, it is a request and not really a bug.
No, it is a bug, because the worms aren't meant to take (extra) fall damage when they fall through other worms. The way you look at it is just the cheap-ass way to get around it since you don't feel it's worth your time.

Run
5 Nov 2004, 08:38
Your book does not represent the community's book.

RastaMahata
5 Nov 2004, 09:51
Damn, I wish I had a book oh those...

wccSplintr
5 Nov 2004, 16:23
Don't ban either! Play what you want!

*crumpets*
5 Nov 2004, 16:26
I dont think anyone was asking for it to be banned (apart from realfoe) so there's no worry.

Run
5 Nov 2004, 18:31
Don't ban either! Play what you want!

Generally it's a good idea to read your post over, including the quotes, just to make sure you're quoting the right person.

SargeMcCluck
5 Nov 2004, 18:34

Okay.

When playing an EliteLeague game, my friend and I accidently teleported two of our worms in the exact same spot, to the pixel - the mouse was not moved.

The second one took more damage than the first one (through fall damage).

There. Same ****ing situation. Now sit down and shut up, or post something constructive - Roper hate is just pointless. (For the record, I don't like the roping scheme at all, but posting about how you think that because Team17 didn't make it it doesn't count is insanely stupid, narrow minded and immature).

wccSplintr
5 Nov 2004, 21:04
Generally it's a good idea to read your post over, including the quotes, just to make sure you're quoting the right person.
Oh yeah :o I meant realfoe, (obviously) :o

Madmaxquinn
5 Nov 2004, 21:38
Same ****ing situation. Now sit down and shut up, or post something constructive -
Is there really any need for profanity?

Roper hate is just pointless. (For the record, I don't like the roping scheme at all, but posting about how you think that because Team17 didn't make it it doesn't count is insanely stupid, narrow minded and immature).

Your words, not mine. My point was only that in my opinion the rope is the single most exploited feature in W:A online games. I'm entitled to an opinion; whether or not you agree with it is up to you.

Run
5 Nov 2004, 22:12
I think a lot of people are growing tired of your attitude concerning your relentless remarks about how 'normal' Worms has died and how you can't find and enjoy an online game because of this so-called "exploitation" of the rope by people who want to enjoy themselves.

You seem to be under the impression that the game has somehow been sabotaged; ruined for you, as if they are cheating or something, or hacking the network. The only thing they seem to be doing that could possibly affect you in any way is putting extra games which you might not be interested in, in the Games list.

Big ****ing deal. You must get really ****ed when you go down to the supermarket and are surrounded by products you don't want, and similar sloppy analogies.

Somehow, many other people manage to enjoy Worms as it is, but you don't. Whaddya want, a MadMaxQuinn personal-satisfaction patch? I think most people here will agree that it is Your Problem and that no patch will solve it. The rope isn't going to go away. If it's the rope that's keeping you away from onlien worms, why are you even here?

Edit: english

SargeMcCluck
5 Nov 2004, 23:03
Your words, not mine. My point was only that in my opinion the rope is the single most exploited feature in W:A online games. I'm entitled to an opinion; whether or not you agree with it is up to you.

I don't mind what your opinion is, it's your own opinion.

But saying that that "bug" is a "feature request" by ropers was what annoyed me. It can easily happen in Elite, as in my example - And that's "real" worms, as you put it.

Is there really any need for profanity?

With someone who says such great silly things like "Another rr related request!?", yes.

TonY
6 Nov 2004, 01:52
The RR scheme doesn't have health, interesting observation though.

Deadcode
6 Nov 2004, 01:56
[BUGFIX] : See this replay. It's recorded the moves that my worms made, but they were supposed to be for a different map altogether! Thus completely stuffing up the replay... The map was Polar from the "Cool As Ice" mission. So I'm guessing, the problem is something like it doesn't record the map but still has the moves but changes the moves for the CPU accordingly. Could you look into this, please?
You did not post the replay.

Is it a recent replay? Because this bug did happen with the earliest-released 3.6 betas, but I fixed it. If it is still happening, I'd certainly like to know about it so I can fix it, but I'll need the replay. If it's an old replay, I can probably fix it, if you'd like. So please post it.

XxDangerxX
6 Nov 2004, 02:56
Haha! Oops, sorry! Funnny that, I had thought of it a number of times, but I never got around to posting it. Here you go.

BTW DC, I don't suppose you could tell me what the crate probablilties of the W: A Demo scheme and the Deathmatch scheme are, could you?

Madmaxquinn
6 Nov 2004, 11:26
Rofl
why are you even here?

Because I want to see all aspects of the game improved, not just the ones that mainly affect custom game modes such as rr.

Run
6 Nov 2004, 11:33
Well, all aspects are being improved. Have you seen one of the ReadMe's recently? There's a lot of stuff in them that have nothing to do with roper games.

SargeMcCluck
6 Nov 2004, 13:30

Your RR scheme (and that being the standard one) doesn't. His might - Maybe he hasn't turned God-mode on, or maybe he reinstalled worms and hasn't unlocked God-mode, so hasn't enabled it, if he made the scheme himself. :)

Run
6 Nov 2004, 15:36
Also, if he's complaining about the horrendously small unfair differences in health at the start of the game, perhaps his scheme involves worms dying by fall damage. Otherwise it wouldn't be a problem.

wccSplintr
7 Nov 2004, 19:51
It's my brothers scheme.

XxDangerxX
9 Nov 2004, 04:27
How do I go about getting crates to fall at the ratio (Util:Weapon) 6:1 but still have crates falling on every turn? It's very confusing. I don't understand it at all.

sergelac
9 Nov 2004, 17:05
i found a bug
i have the last version 3.6.22.1
after the game start, other player disconnected (desynchronization)
and i could not exit the game or return to games list,
exit button has no effect (this is the first time it happen)
i close the game with windows task manager

Run
9 Nov 2004, 17:18
If you wait long enough, the Exit button becomes pressable.

But it would be nice to have a "get me the hell out of here" button.

bonz
9 Nov 2004, 23:08
"get me the hell out of here"

if i remember correctly, w:a did exit much faster before the beta patches.
maybe it has something to do with the replays & synchronization of those...

(or maybe i have no clue at all) :p

sergelac
10 Nov 2004, 01:20
If you wait long enough, the Exit button becomes pressable.

it became pressable, but this time, nothing happen when i click on it

bloopy
10 Nov 2004, 03:44
How do I go about getting crates to fall at the ratio (Util:Weapon) 6:1 but still have crates falling on every turn? It's very confusing. I don't understand it at all. You might find that you can't get that ratio, but it'll be fixed eventually

xOGCxmoses
10 Nov 2004, 15:24
it became pressable, but this time, nothing happen when i click on it

i had the same happen to me 2 days ago. it has happened a couple of times though.

XxDangerxX
11 Nov 2004, 02:41
Well could that be implemened asap please? Maybe have a seperate box where you can set the chance of a crate falling in general.

Akdor 1154
11 Nov 2004, 07:34
Ookay, just to start with, I accept no responsilbillity for any hostilly related to this post, including but not limited too, flaming, rope bashing, league bashing, assault, murder, or nuclear war.

Now that's out of the way, how about re-working the channels in WormNET:
Rope Games (Shopper, RR, Roper, you get the pic) [Would people like these in separate channels?]
Deafult (The game scheme is locked to Intermediate [no not Pro])
Quasi-default (The game-scheme is not locked, but people are encouraged to keep with the 'traditional' way of playing worms)
Other (Battle/Boom race, Team17, anything that doesn't fit).

The Problem with Anything Goes, is, well, anything goes.
Do I need to elaborate?

Oh, what is the possibility of, once your Fully Customizable Hosting is off the ground and stable, allowing us to hand-code our own weapons, adding custom sprites into your saved 'fiddler' files, and releasing your sprite editor to us?
Pretty-please?

PsyDome
11 Nov 2004, 10:30
Rope Games (Shopper, RR, Roper, you get the pic) [Would people like these in separate channels?]
Quasi-default (The game-scheme is not locked, but people are encouraged to keep with the 'traditional' way of playing worms)
i'm not going to elaborate on how highly unnecessary that is...

AndrewTaylor
11 Nov 2004, 14:18
i'm not going to elaborate on how highly unnecessary that is...
Also, it would be the job of Volcane, not Deadcode. It would be a server-side change, I think, and the WA.exe wouldn't need to know about it.

sergelac
11 Nov 2004, 15:20
me too, i hate rope games

they should create 2 wormnet
1 for rope and shopping
1 for nomal games starting with weapons

or

add a channel for shopping games

The Problem with Anything Goes, is, well, anything goes.

i found a very easy solution for that.
now, i always host instead of joining.
i should have done that long ago.

SargeMcCluck
11 Nov 2004, 15:46
I think a better idea would be:

#PartyTime
#AnythingGoes
#BnGLeague
#EliteLeague
#WormsLeaguePRO
#WormsLeagueAM
#Team17League
#RopersHeaven
#WormTalk

(Recognise it anyone? :))

I'm sure you can guess what they all are (For the record, BnGLeague would use the official BnGLeague scheme).

My reasons:
1/ You only really need one channel per game type (One for Team17 games as they are popular, one for BnG as BnG is always semi popular, one for roping games because they are popular), then two generic channels to allow crazy schemes like Moleshoppers.
2/ The other three channels (EliteLeague, WormsLeaguePRO and WormsLeagueAM) are for the ranking system, so they need to exist really, so why not add them now?
3/ Oh look, this is how it was and so should be a *lot* easier to implement as all the settings are already there - I believe the channels still exist - The schemes do at least, as Dave recovered the game schemes from the server unless I'm mistaken, and he did that *way* after the channels were taken down.

Sounds like a plan to me.

Run
11 Nov 2004, 16:27
What's "WormsLeagueAM"? Morning games?

I'd want a Team17League channel, also ;)

But unless you put restrictions on AnythingGoes (which, by definition, means getting rid of it entirely) then people will go there whether they want a rope game, bng game, team17 game, or whatever. They do so because then they get to see friends who have slightly different preferences, and also get to see a selection of games from different schemes, all of which they might enjoy.

The only true ultimate solution is to have one channel, and each person the ability to filter games with certain words in the name, or certain modes switched on on the scheme within. Trouble is, that'd take a lot of effort.

Oh, but there would have to be different channels for ranked games, for obvious reasons.

SargeMcCluck
11 Nov 2004, 16:51
What's "WormsLeagueAM"? Morning games?

I'd want a Team17League channel, also ;)

But unless you put restrictions on AnythingGoes (which, by definition, means getting rid of it entirely) then people will go there whether they want a rope game, bng game, team17 game, or whatever. They do so because then they get to see friends who have slightly different preferences, and also get to see a selection of games from different schemes, all of which they might enjoy.

The only true ultimate solution is to have one channel, and each person the ability to filter games with certain words in the name, or certain modes switched on on the scheme within. Trouble is, that'd take a lot of effort.

Oh, but there would have to be different channels for ranked games, for obvious reasons.

AM = Amateur :)

And they won't go there (#AnythingGoes) when they want a Team17 game I'd assume (as opposed to wanting just to play, in which case that's partially the point of AG). It'd be pointless because #Team17League would have the scheme totally set up and stuff (When you host the game automatically loads the servers' Team17 scheme, so you don't have to). They might go into AG to find people that want to play, but hopefully they'll host games in the proper channels. And then more people will see.

It used to work fine, and I met some great people through those channels. I rarely meet people in #AnythingGoes, because there's just too many people saying pointless crap, and too many crazy schemes.

Run
11 Nov 2004, 17:02
People will go where the most people are though. It might be all very well and good trying to seperate everyone, but every extra person in AG makes it all the more likely that any one person signing onto wormnet goes in the AG channel.

If someone wants a Team17 game, but there's nobody in the Team17 channel, they'll go to AG. Then suppose they find someone who also wants a Team17 game, where will they host? They're not likely to bother moving; what good would that do?

In the end, virtually everyone will end up in AG, virtually every game will be hosted in AG, and it'll be just like it is now.

Think about - Wormnet, at the moment, already has a RopersHeaven channel. And who goes in there?

SargeMcCluck
11 Nov 2004, 17:05
1/ Every channel I listed existed on WormNET at one point.
2/ When they existed, the channels were widely used.
3/ Woo @ stuff.

Swed Simon
11 Nov 2004, 17:09
Think about - Wormnet, at the moment, already has a RopersHeaven channel. And who goes in there?
Its still used in all bigger rope tournaments.

Run
11 Nov 2004, 17:11
1/ That might be because there were so many more people in the community back then, being that it was a new game and all.
2/ Not to mention that there would also be a hell of a lot more new people, who saw the channel names and thought "yeah, that makes sense"
3/ And with so many more people, there would be so much a greater probability of finding a game in any one channel, given a channel with 20 instead of, say, 2. The latter being a likely scenario on present-day wormnet, I've seen it a lot myself.

double post edit:

Its still used in 99% of rope tournaments.

6 weeks ago when I could actually get on Wormnet, I often saw no one at all in there.

Were these organised tournaments, at all? That's different. Nobody goes in there to 'wait for a game'.

SargeMcCluck
11 Nov 2004, 17:12
Aah, but unless something is done to revitalise the community then it'll be so insanely inactive soon that unless you know someone who's coming online you'll have a damn hard finding a game anywhere.

Adding the channels is a step towards ranks in most people's eyes. And most people are hoping that ranks will bring back players.

Run
11 Nov 2004, 17:14
I guess it remains to be seen.

Akdor 1154
12 Nov 2004, 06:08
How about adding a "gametype" form when creating a game, it could be a dropdown list but you could also enter your own type; then your WN client could display this in the game list.

Run
12 Nov 2004, 10:01
Yes, and then add the necessary filtering options for people.

Problem Solved. I still haven't recieved an argument against that plan other than the effort it would take.

Madmaxquinn
12 Nov 2004, 18:22
You mean give a name to a custom scheme? Sounds good. Only draw back I can see is that a number of people will start creating hundreds of custom schemes in order to claim them as their own.

Some sort of policing will need to be done, unless the client is cleaver enough to name schemes for you.

For example if you have infinite rope (or whatever other criteria you need for a custom rope game) it automatically calls it RoperXXXXX
Or if you have infinite 'nade and zooks it calls it BnGXXXXX
1x rope, infinite crates: ShoppaXXXXX
Etc Etc

Well I'm sure you get the picture.

Run
12 Nov 2004, 18:45
I don't think he was talking about an auto-detect feature as such, but rather a selection of radio buttons in the Host a Game box where you can pick the scheme, if any, that your game will use. Then Wormnet will add a symbol or something (instead of a damn flag - what use is that?) denoting the scheme.

Akdor 1154
13 Nov 2004, 04:47
I don't think he was talking about an auto-detect feature as such, but rather a selection of radio buttons in the Host a Game box where you can pick the scheme, if any, that your game will use. Then Wormnet will add a symbol or something (instead of a damn flag - what use is that?) denoting the scheme.

Yeah, I meant like that. (But a dropdown list, a list of radio buttons would take up too much space :p).

It would be displayed in the host browser like gametypes in Halo or whatever.

Run
13 Nov 2004, 09:03
Yeah, I meant like that. (But a dropdown list, a list of radio buttons would take up too much space :p).

Well it's not exactly a big box is it ;)

RastaMahata
13 Nov 2004, 13:27
two radio buttons: custom and official.
If custom is selected, then custom schemes are listed, but if official is selected, then the official schemes are listed.

If the host selected a custom scheme, then the icon is a "custom" one. If not, then each official scheme gets an Icon :P

It might not be an icon as well, but a tag...

Just an idea

Akdor 1154
14 Nov 2004, 03:37
two radio buttons: custom and official.
If custom is selected, then custom schemes are listed, but if official is selected, then the official schemes are listed.

If the host selected a custom scheme, then the icon is a "custom" one. If not, then each official scheme gets an Icon :P

It might not be an icon as well, but a tag...

Just an idea

And a good one :D

XxDangerxX
16 Nov 2004, 06:27
Just thought I'd remind you of a couple of requests I've made in the past that have not been discussed or I haven't remembered being discussed, because some of these are important and have been forgotten.

Have an "Overwrite terrain?" message (bit, not colour) in the map edit?

Zoom-in feature in the map edit screen?

[BUGFIX] : Repair the "Tools" terrain type please. I have counted 28 terrain types from Beach to Urban that are "registered" in the map edit screen and 29 on the CD. Tools isn't registered in Map Edit for some reason.

Manual Placement of Mines and Drums?

Import/Export Teams in and out of a .wgt file?

Press left and right to select which way a worm faces in worm placement in the same manner as Air Strike instead of having the sudden change of direction the moment it's placed?

Could we see the random mine and drum placements in the terrain edit (when random mine and drum placement is selected), so that we can reseed them without having to start a whole game and quit it immediately if it's not right?

When you send a private message to someone can they view it in the colour of the team you're playing with, instead of just blue?

Error detector for weapons once we have the Fiddler editing
Water Colours? Flaming Health Bars?

Flawless.wav: Could that be played if you haven't lost a worm, rather than if you haven't lost a single hitpoint? It'll never be played otherwise. I mean it's hard enough to keep all your worms, even if they do lose some HP.

Could we have the *bak.spr displayed when you put a weapon away to get out another? I've noticed all you ever see is the *lnk.spr.

Akdor 1154
16 Nov 2004, 07:12
Have an "Overwrite terrain?" message (bit, not colour) in the map edit?
-Useful, shouldn't be hard to implement; I'm suprised there's not one already (I assuming you mean 'are you sure you want to overwrite XXX.bit')

Zoom-in feature in the map edit screen?
-So you could edit like in Worms 2? It might be fiddly to scroll around though, but I s'pose DC could come up with something (an overview windows, perhaps)?

[BUGFIX] : Repair the "Tools" terrain type please. I have counted 28 terrain types from Beach to Urban that are "registered" in the map edit screen and 29 on the CD. Tools isn't registered in Map Edit for some reason.
-What can I say?

Manual Placement of Mines and Drums?
-DC said at some point this would be implemented in the 'Fully Customizable Hosting' (lets just call it Fiddler2 or something, shall we?)

Import/Export Teams in and out of a .wgt file?
-You can a utillity for this, go to http://www.j0e.org
Is it really necessary, though? Merging team files (also possible with the utillity) would be useful...

Press left and right to select which way a worm faces in worm placement in the same manner as Air Strike instead of having the sudden change of direction the moment it's placed?
-Sounds good to me.

Could we see the random mine and drum placements in the terrain edit (when random mine and drum placement is selected), so that we can reseed them without having to start a whole game and quit it immediately if it's not right?
-Are these even part of the terrain seed? Or is there an object seed like in W2, it's just not displayed... maybe it should be?

When you send a private message to someone can they view it in the colour of the team you're playing with, instead of just blue?
-Makes sense...

Error detector for weapons once we have the Fiddler editing
-Maybe a special log file would do the trick? Also a basic debugger could be included if DC had the time...

Water Colours? Flaming Health Bars?
-Not necessary, but no one would be complaing.

Flawless.wav: Could that be played if you haven't lost a worm, rather than if you haven't lost a single hitpoint? It'll never be played otherwise. I mean it's hard enough to keep all your worms, even if they do lose some HP.
-If you'd been hurt even 1 hp, it would be a flawless victory then would it? ;)
Offtopic:
Sometimes Flawless Victory is said in Worms 3D (in SP1, at least) when you have still lost worms... Anyone know why???

Could we have the *bak.spr displayed when you put a weapon away to get out another? I've noticed all you ever see is the *lnk.spr.
-lnk is 'out' and bak is 'in', if I remember correctly? Anyways, this would just waste precious milliseconds :p

Chip
16 Nov 2004, 15:20
ALso will it be possible to make the Morta do a bit more damage, at the moment you can aim realy high and launch a morta shell out of it and when it comes crashing down directly ontop of a worm only to cause around 0.5 damage well maybe 8 damage but its still very under powerd.

Also can AI worms not attack their allied team if theres nothing to do - it is funny but sometimes they end up killing each other and itbecomes an easy victory for me.

TonY
16 Nov 2004, 15:50
@ Danger: You can already select which way the worm faces on placement (see attached replay); you can even make them jump on placement. And why would there be a flaming health bars be an option? The way they're being used now is a cheat. I sure wouldn't mind a few water colors to choose from though (shouldn't even be that hard to implmement considering all the sprites are already exist).

@ Chip: There's already a thread about improving the Mortar in the Beta Update Forums (Conclusion: Learn advanced mortar techniques or just up its power). And the AI is an easy opponet in any situation.. even if they have 24 worms.. and you only have one.. somehow I don't think anyone really cares anymore.

PsyDome
16 Nov 2004, 16:51
@ Danger: You can already select which way the worm faces on placement (see attached replay); you can even make them jump on placement. And why would there be a flaming health bars be an option? The way they're being used now is a cheat. I sure wouldn't mind a few water colors to choose from though (shouldn't even be that hard to implmement considering all the sprites are already exist).i *think* he meant that he would like for the worm to display the changing of direction... not that it changes after you click

sergelac
17 Nov 2004, 15:01
i have a suggestion/request for the next patch

\User\Games\*.WAgame

add :

- extract flags
- extract gravestones

XxDangerxX
17 Nov 2004, 22:06
@ Danger: You can already select which way the worm faces on placement (see attached replay); you can even make them jump on placement.

i *think* he meant that he would like for the worm to display the changing of direction... not that it changes after you click

THANK YOU!!!
Yes that's exactly what I meant. I *already* knew you could change the position.

And here's a visual:

Run
17 Nov 2004, 22:33
What benefit would it bring to the game?

Glenn
17 Nov 2004, 23:34
It's looks much neater and more professional than the worm just snapping around when it teleports in :rolleyes: .

Seriously, does everything have to have a purpose to be even a remotely good idea? Because if that is so, then why did we get colored maps, an improved map interface, recordings, and in the future, fiddler-like settings. They aren't fixing any bugs, in fact, they've brought about their own bugs. Just like this idea, they're just extra non-neccessary bells and whistles that weren't thought up for any reason other than to give the people new things to mess with. So, I tell you, get over it, just because it doesn't fix anything or isn't earth-shattering, doesn't mean it isn't a good idea.

SargeMcCluck
17 Nov 2004, 23:37
colored maps, an improved map interface, recordings, and in the future, fiddler-like settings.

Recordings will have a very large part to do with Deadcode's ranks implementation (no, it won't be submitting the replay and someone verifying it or anything crazy like that).
Fidder-like settings... well, obviously the point of fiddler-like settings is that it allows a much wider range of gametypes to be played.

I'm staying neutral here, I just had to comment on those two. ;)

Glenn
18 Nov 2004, 00:25
The point was that none of those additions were especially neccessary (except recordings would be useful for rankings) and/or fixed bugs. They all have created or will create more bugs.

Squirminator2k
18 Nov 2004, 07:50
What part of "Recordings will have a very large part to do with Deadcode's ranks implementation" are you failing to understand? Unfortunately the ranks can't just be switched back on - Deadcode has been working on a new method and Recorded Games are essential to that.

Run
18 Nov 2004, 09:19
Seriously, does everything have to have a purpose to be even a remotely good idea? Because if that is so, then why did we get colored maps, an improved map interface, recordings, and in the future, fiddler-like settings?

Because those things made the game more fun, or less frustrating. And those features are worth the bugs they create, because those bugs are eventually fixed anyway.

I can't for the life of me see myself having more fun because "the worm is facing the right direction when I'm placing it". Maybe it's just me. But I doubt it is. Shall we have a poll?

Glenn
18 Nov 2004, 14:02
What part of "Recordings will have a very large part to do with Deadcode's ranks implementation" are you failing to understand? Unfortunately the ranks can't just be switched back on - Deadcode has been working on a new method and Recorded Games are essential to that.
I understand that. I'm just pointing out that... Wait, nevermind. This really isn't worth the time and effort that I'm putting into trying to explain my position.

Yus
18 Nov 2004, 15:37
hi all

what happened to the beta 4.0 of deadcode?
i read the 3 first pages where i found many good ideas, then saw they were written in feb/2004, then saw that this thread had 40+ pages...

obviously this 4.0 beta version is not implemented, any idea why?

Yus

(btw, server down today)

AndrewTaylor
18 Nov 2004, 15:48
hi all

what happened to the beta 4.0 of deadcode?
i read the 3 first pages where i found many good ideas, then saw they were written in feb/2004, then saw that this thread had 40+ pages...

obviously this 4.0 beta version is not implemented, any idea why?
As I understand it, it's because it doesn't exist yet.

The beta patches being made now will theoretically culminate in a version 4.0, which itself will not be beta. These are the betas for version 4.0, but as it's not finished, their given version numbers start in 3.x. It's a convention thing -- you can't really call them version 4.anything because then the final 4.0 will have a lower number than its predecessors. It's the equivalent of having a version 0.x as the beta, but in this case the software had hit version 3.x long before Deadcode got near it, so you have to start there. Kind of thing.

Perhaps the thread title "W:A 4.0 Beta Update" is ambiguous, but there you go. The final version 4 patch is the one that is planned to be made WWP-compatible, so WWP will never have a beta patch as such, howver people seem to have taken to calling W:A 4.0 (which doesn't exist) "The Beta Patch", which is just confusing matters further.

Yus
18 Nov 2004, 16:01
so what about the features like placing more than 8 mines on map, link mines placement with map files, etc etc?
as i read it in the first post of this thread, there were a looot of new things to be implemented, and they are still not included in any of the 3.xx patchs, am i wrong?

Run
18 Nov 2004, 16:07
No, they haven't been implemented yet. A lot of things are planned, but it will take a lot of time.

Veletrap
18 Nov 2004, 19:19
I am writting This question becuase I will not look through all forty pages of this Thread. Will the 4.0 version of Worms have in the escape menu and music volume control? The most resent beta patch only has sound volume control. Also a mute button for both or one would be nice....

NeoTOM
18 Nov 2004, 19:55
I am writting This question becuase I will not look through all forty pages of this Thread. Will the 4.0 version of Worms have in the escape menu and music volume control? The most resent beta patch only has sound volume control. Also a mute button for both or one would be nice....

Maybe a way to implement new music in the game?

Anyway, could someone tell the world how this update is coming along?

Squirminator2k
19 Nov 2004, 08:20
You can already do this. It's called Winamp.

Run
19 Nov 2004, 13:01
Also, you can switch off the in-game ambient music using the option in the main Options Menu.

Veletrap
19 Nov 2004, 20:13

Anyway, could someone tell the world how this update is coming along?

Yeah an update would be nice Deadcode.

Sonicrazy
19 Nov 2004, 21:01
Hello, Deadcode. Nice job with the patch. By the way, I have a few questions about it:

1) Will support for game pads be implemented?

2) In the last version, will the "I can't host on WWP" glitch be fixed?

3) Also in the last version, will all schemes be compatible with both WA and WWP? And will it be possible to set super weapons in WWP?

4) Will it be possible to edit color maps in-game?

5) Will there be a "retro mode" with Worms 1 styled graphics?

Thanks if you can answer. :)

Dodgymat
19 Nov 2004, 21:15
Yeah an update would be nice Deadcode.

It's coming along nicely, as evidenced by 9 major updates in 1 year.

double post edit:

I have a few questions about the patch

1) Will support for game pads be implemented?
Get joytokey to do this - its a free program

2) In the last version, will the "I can't host on WWP" glitch be fixed?
This is the W:A Beta4 thread on the W:A board, besides I thought the ''glitch'' was fixable by changing a registry entry ?

3) Also in the last version, will all schemes be compatible with both WA and WWP? And will it be possible to set super weapons in WWP? WWP WWP WWP blah blah

4) Will it be possible to edit color maps in-game? Never, the map editor is not that advanced

5) Will there be a "retro mode" with Worms 1 styled graphics? If you make one, absolutely !

XxDangerxX
19 Nov 2004, 22:47
I have a couple of questions.

In the thread, "Icons" (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=20781), we were given winXP style icons for the W: A shortcut and the replay file types. Every time I run W: A, it reverts them back to the normal W: A icon. Could we have this fixed please?

And DC, I don't suppose you could give me the sheme that is used in the screensaver, or at least all the details so that I can recreate it?

Squirminator2k
19 Nov 2004, 22:47
5) Will there be a "retro mode" with Worms 1 styled graphics?
THis will never happen. However I would recommend you give [Worms - The Directors Cut (http://www.wormiverse.com/dream17/softography_wormsdc_main.html)] a try.

bonz
19 Nov 2004, 23:05
:) hehe!
how many money do you get from team17, squirminator2k? ;)
every 3rd post of you contains a link to to worms dc and other stuff on your dream17 page...

but i too would recommend worms dc!
i really would like to see a comeback of the "magical mystery tour"!
(as an option rather than a type-in cheat, though)

Squirminator2k
19 Nov 2004, 23:16
:) hehe!
how many money do you get from team17, squirminator2k? ;)
Nothing, surprisingly enough. I've just been a fan of their games since as long as I can remember. Of course, it's no secret that I wouldn't mind working for them (even if working in the Videogames Industry is a crushing, life-altering job that threatens to turn its workers into nothing but piles of undefineable mulch).

but i too would recommend worms dc!
i really would like to see a comeback of the "magical mystery tour"!
(as an option rather than a type-in cheat, though)
I think that makes things a little tricky for people. They don't like that random "It Can Go Wrong" factor, which is why Booby-trapped Crates were removed after Worms2.

bonz
19 Nov 2004, 23:53
a crushing, life-altering job that threatens to turn its workers into nothing but piles of undefineable mulch
hehehe :)

hmm...
booby-traps are another thing i want back!
together with all the options from wwp's wormpot!
and additionally the removed on the moon, guess my weapon & sheep sheep everywhere options!
(whatever the latter was supposed to be)
and flames, gloop & the other water colors
and if the homing cluster, homing strike, sheep clones, gas canister & sheep-on-a-rope would come back too,
i would be in worms heaven! :p

i heard that missions / mission editor will come too. is that true?
and if the patch was going to be a "hybrid" for both wa and wwp,
both games could be fusioned to one
kind of the ultimate 2d worms...
and that's only good for both communities, regardless of what all the idiots say!
more people-->higher possibility to find a good game-->better community

my first team17 game was world rally fever...

Akdor 1154
20 Nov 2004, 01:48
It would be quite easy (albiet tedious) to create a Worms 1 style graphics scheme yourself, if we could get our hands on the 'official' sprite editor...
*hint*
*hint*
*hint*
-Yup, along with fully cusomizable weapons (think Fiddler), custom placement of drums/mines, and heaps of other cool stuff. (This will also allow for preset WormPot schemes, and the abillity to create new ones
-Yes, but some WWP owners might be a bit ****ed that W:A (the older game) has been updated and allows for full customization, and WWP doesn't (but they do have a mission editor which allows some of that, I s'pose)

hmm...
booby-traps are another thing i want back!
together with all the options from wwp's wormpot!
and additionally the removed on the moon, guess my weapon & sheep sheep everywhere options!
(whatever the latter was supposed to be)
and flames, gloop & the other water colors
and if the homing cluster, homing strike, sheep clones, gas canister & sheep-on-a-rope would come back too,
i would be in worms heaven!

and that's only good for both communities, regardless of what all the idiots say!
more people-->higher possibility to find a good game-->better community

my first team17 game was world rally fever...

MrBunsy
20 Nov 2004, 21:17
I don't know if this is possible, but if it was it'd be really cool:

The zoom out option that was in worms one. You pressed 'm' and you could see the whole world. On 640x480 that was pretty rubbish, but if you could do it it WA it would be great!

Squirminator2k
20 Nov 2004, 21:31
I don't know if this is possible, but if it was it'd be really cool:

The zoom out option that was in worms one. You pressed 'm' and you could see the whole world. On 640x480 that was pretty rubbish, but if you could do it it WA it would be great!
I really don't see this as a viable possibility in WA as it is without seriously upping the resource Usage.

Run
20 Nov 2004, 21:44
On a big enough resolution, it's hardly necessary :)

However, if unrestricted map size ever gets a foothold in the updates, a pop-upable mini-map might be a good idea.

Chip
20 Nov 2004, 21:54
I think a zoom out option in in battle would be pointless. If you want to see more on the screan then change the resolution. I play the game on 1280 x 1024 and I can center the entire island onto the screan. This is when I noticed that in canvern matches it goes into letter box screan which annoyed me to begin with but I got used to it.

Run
20 Nov 2004, 22:14
Yeah, but not everyone has monitors capable of that. They should, but that's not the issue :)

MrBunsy
21 Nov 2004, 09:16
well, little worms killing each other is fairly pointless, but zooming out would have it uses. It was very useful in W1

Squirminator2k
21 Nov 2004, 10:28
really? I found it fairly useless, although it did look good between moves.

Swed Simon
21 Nov 2004, 11:11
The higher resolution the better it is, to the point wen the terrain gets ridiculously small. Myself think the zoom out was quite usefull in W1 anyway. Even though it wasn't as fun to play it that small you could view the terrain nice and easily with it.

Akdor 1154
22 Nov 2004, 10:45
Maybe we could have an overview window toggled by End/Home, like the chat window is toggled by PgUp/PgDn? You could maybe click on it to put the main camera in the position.

AndrewTaylor
22 Nov 2004, 11:18
I used the zoomout on W1 a little, but only for very long shots. The resolutions people use these days, you could fit a whole W:A map on screen at once anyway.

TonY
22 Nov 2004, 15:24
I used the zoomout on W1 a little, but only for very long shots. The resolutions people use these days, you could fit a whole W:A map on screen at once anyway.

Just because higher resolutions are available.. doesn't mean people are using them. I still use 800x600.. like I always did.

RastaMahata
23 Nov 2004, 15:17
come on people, you're asking too much out of a patch. :(
Im happy with rankings coming back, a mission editor, being able to play with my reginal setting set to Chile (thus having my chilean flag on wormnet), being able to have more that 120 custom flags and graves, having the 99 seconds sheep fixed, and having the grave crash fixed. Anything else, I'll take it as a bonus Deadcode made so the game could be better. :)

MrBunsy
23 Nov 2004, 16:58
come on people, you're asking too much out of a patch. :(
Its still worth asking isn't it? you'll never get anything much if you don't ask

sergelac
26 Nov 2004, 01:07
why is there no super weapons setting for "chance of getting this weapon in a crate" ?

Madmaxquinn
26 Nov 2004, 08:34
why is there no super weapons setting for "chance of getting this weapon in a crate" ?

Because otherwise every Dick, Tom and Harry would have it set to 100%.

Run
26 Nov 2004, 10:31
Only the stupid Toms, Dicks and Harrys, and you shouldn't be playing with them anyway.
The feature would be useful because you might want to play a game with super weapons but not let it include girder packs or nukes (see shoppers) or select worms or other specific weapons that upset the game.

Anyway, it's planned for a future patch.

Chip
26 Nov 2004, 19:00
What's so bad about having high chances of getting secret weapons?

When I had the fiddler I made a scheme called "raining donkeys" where everyone had nothing but handguns, but there was a 100% chance of getting a Donkey in a crate - that was one hell of a match.

Run
26 Nov 2004, 19:16
I think you just answered your own question...

Is your name Tom, Dick or Harry by any chance?

wccSplintr
26 Nov 2004, 20:04
Sometimes you might just want to have a stupid game, and blow everything up, if it IS implemented, the choice is there.

RastaMahata
26 Nov 2004, 23:58
Sometimes you might just want to have a stupid game, and blow everything up, if it IS implemented, the choice is there.
I dont know why this reminds me of wormpot :P

bonz
27 Nov 2004, 00:13
what do you all have against the wormpot? :confused:
nobody forces you to play stupid games...
i just like to have the option to do everything possible

before the introduction of online color maps in wa,
i actually only played wwp because of the wormpot options
i really hope that all the wormpot modes (and many more) will come in the wa patch!

more possibilities-->more fun! :D

Swed Simon
27 Nov 2004, 10:19
what do you all have against the wormpot? :confused:
nobody forces you to play stupid games...
i just like to have the option to do everything possible

before the introduction of online color maps in wa,
i actually only played wwp because of the wormpot options
i really hope that all the wormpot modes (and many more) will come in the wa patch!

more possibilities-->more fun! :D
WWP have always have great offline play to the cost of it's online play.
On W:A its still passable to play random challengers, but on WWP your only option is to arrange battles cause of all the retarded settings players makes. Etc what people call a normal or pro in WWP can turn out to have create shower, super rope and double damage. That's what's called a full noobage but most people are not aware of it. In short, the introduction of wormpot would ruin the thing that makes W:A's Wormnet so much better: that it has no wormpot.

Chip
27 Nov 2004, 10:38
You have to admit the more possibilitys the better.

If you ever get board of just shooting and killing then you can change it to make it more interesting. Another one of my matches are:

Sudden death straight away set to level 2 sinking.
All worms are indistructable.
The terrain is indistructable.
Everyone has infinity close combat weapons and petrol bombs.
ALso you have 2 jetpacks and 3 nijar ropes.

That to was a fun match.

Aslo "Swed Simon" you said something about in WWP people give themselves crate shower and damage x2. I never got WWP as all my friends said it was no different to WA. So can you realy do that?

Also, I've never had an WA online match before but If I did, then I'll play a proper battle type match not roperace, shoppa or anything stupid, just a normal match.

Oh and by the way - What is roperace or shoppa?

Swed Simon
27 Nov 2004, 11:00
Next time you make a coment try to figure out what you're talking about, I wont even bother start an argument on this one.

bonz
27 Nov 2004, 14:20
ehrm...
chip, what are you talking about?

i don't think that all the veteran players of w:a will suddenly
set up & play only stupid and unbalanced games, if new (wormpot) options will arrive...
but these option do lead to much more diffrent gameplay modes,
that are impossible in w:a right now!
and i'm slowly getting sick of all those rope games that are oh so popular
and de facto "standard" on wormnet today! :p

-->wormpot faq (http://supremesuper.tripod.com/WormZone/Eng/HTML/my_wormpot.html)

AndrewTaylor
27 Nov 2004, 16:11
There'll never be a Wormpot in W:A -- most of the WormPot modes will be available in W:A 4.0 as options anyway, as I understand it.

Chip
27 Nov 2004, 16:15
01011100001000111100011000101001000010101000011101 01
11010010001011100101000010101101000000101001000100 00
10101010101010101001100101111101000100010100010010 10
01010001010100001010100100101001010101010111001101 01

figure that one out then.

MrBunsy
27 Nov 2004, 16:21
What on earth has that go to do with anything?

bonz
27 Nov 2004, 18:08
available in W:A 4.0 as options
good
if there aren't 3 big shiny wormpot buttons,
maybe this will reduce "instant stupidity" games...
:)

BetongÅsna
27 Nov 2004, 18:41
good
if there aren't 3 big shiny wormpot buttons,
maybe this will reduce "instant stupidity" games...
:)
Well said. Too many times people are tempted on their way to the game.

RastaMahata
28 Nov 2004, 01:07
01011100001000111100011000101001000010101000011101 01
11010010001011100101000010101101000000101001000100 00
10101010101010101001100101111101000100010100010010 10
01010001010100001010100100101001010101010111001101 01

figure that one out then.
\#Æ)
‡]"å
Ð)ªª™}D¥
’•W5

i guess its not 8 bit ascii :(

double post edit:

There'll never be a Wormpot in W:A -- most of the WormPot modes will be available in W:A 4.0 as options anyway, as I understand it.

well, to not **** up wormnet as we know it, maybe the best idea could be to have wormpot options only in the mission editor (and/or the fiddler kind of.. thing).

elgen
28 Nov 2004, 20:00
Umm... yeah... another newbie (and answered-before) question...

Any date set when the 4.0 patch will be released? Considering that there are 43 pages to scroll through, none of the patch sites got it and it's not announced in the 1st post in this topic, I guess that it's not released yet, or am I wrong?

Pardon me if I am asking a question that've been answered x-number of times before... *sighs*

Thanks in advance.

Run
28 Nov 2004, 20:20
The answer is that it has no set date, and, probably, not even DeadCode, who is making the patch, can even give you an estimate as to when it will be done. It might be years.

But it doesn't matter, because we will be getting a constant stream of updates. 4.0 is only a number. It means nothing.

SargeMcCluck
28 Nov 2004, 20:24
not even DeadCode

*stab*
Lovell, you of all people know that it's a lower case c. ;)

Run
28 Nov 2004, 20:27
As long as I get the letters in the right order I don't care, so shut up alEX :P

bonz
28 Nov 2004, 20:35
constant stream of updates
hmm...
a pretty long time since oct. 6th 2004, release date of beta 3.6.22.1
iirc, the previous beta patches came out in higher frequency

is deadcode, ehrm..., dead? :eek:
is he up-to-date with reading those 42 pages?
(can't remember when his last post was)

and a question:
is there somewhere a post with a wishlist kind of thing?
where all the (user) suggested features are listed?
(was someone stupid enough to read through all 42 pages? :D )

Run
28 Nov 2004, 20:55
Wishlists are everywhere. I was supposed to be keeping one up-to-date on my website, but my FTP program has been botched up for months.

If you have an idea, you could post here. But I don't think there's much harm in starting a new thread for discussion about it, just make sure you do a search first, starting by looking at the thread titles down the page.

Akdor 1154
28 Nov 2004, 22:14
was someone stupid enough to read through all 42 pages
Some people are smart enough not to have only 20 posts p/page :p

bonz
28 Nov 2004, 22:30
only 20 posts p/page
that does not change the fact that this thread already has 1243 posts...

and with the forum default of 30posts/page you get displayed 42 pages (at the moment)
with only 20p/p that number would be higher

Glenn
28 Nov 2004, 23:31
is deadcode, ehrm..., dead? :eek:
is he up-to-date with reading those 42 pages?
(can't remember when his last post was)

He most certainly is not dead. I know because I got a confirmation that he read a PM I sent him a few days ago.

wccSplintr
29 Nov 2004, 21:20
So if he is dead, its only been for a couple of days.
Could be just a coma then :)

realfoe
30 Nov 2004, 02:31
he prob got sick of people moaning about beta patches being released before they were tested more.

bonz
30 Nov 2004, 02:31
Could be just a coma then
Comacode?
:D

p.s. i'm not moaning

canofworms
30 Nov 2004, 07:06
really? I found it fairly useless, although it did look good between moves.
I agree.
(and nice av! Got it from cannon fodder 2!)

Oh and to DC:
HOW MUTCH LONGER

To chip:
(or whoever is doing the binary)
00001001010100000000000011111111111111100101010010 1010010101001

Chip
30 Nov 2004, 14:42
Ok heres a simple one to work out

%%%%%%%%%

What number is that?

The number has been removed.

AndrewTaylor