PDA

View Full Version : W:A 4.0 Beta Update

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Madmaxquinn
20 Feb 2005, 12:35
Think of it as an auto pause

Patrick_
20 Feb 2005, 14:52
I seem to remember ropes sometimes reaching a target some distance away and refusing to connect. Patrick, if this is what you're talking about, a replay would be helpful. I don't understand your red lines.

Yes, this is what I am talking about. Those red lines indicated where I was when the ropes refused to connect to the terrain but made the noise as if they did connect.

The game can be downloaded here: http://thepcelement.com/hardware/bug.WAGAME

The time of when it happened was 20:46 into the game, and it happened until about 21:10

I hope this helps. :)

Deadcode
21 Feb 2005, 11:11
Thanks Patrick.

Turns out that the rope-attachment code was doing some silly redundant things, like taking the sine and cosine of the rope angle, taking the arctangent of that result, and then taking sine and cosine of that result! In the process rounding errors resulted, meaning the worm was shifted by a pixel or two in an effectively random direction. If there was no room for the worm to shift, there was a good chance the rope would fail to attach.

I've fixed it now. :-)

bonz
21 Feb 2005, 15:47
feature request:
a language select option!

i'd really like to play my w:a in english language!
(both text in the menus & ingame)
because the german translations suck!
i have version V3.00E 27-4-99 (as it says in the \Data\Resource\version.txt), patched with the latest beta!
the one with dutch, english, french, german, italian, portugese, spanish, swedish in the resource folder!
i do want to keep my region flag, only change the language!

the strange thing is, when i recently installed w:a on my old win95 system it was in english! menus & ingame! without changing any region settings!
so all the necessary code must be on my cd!

AndrewTaylor
21 Feb 2005, 15:50
I think someone mentioned the possibility of putting all the text strings into a TXT file so anyone could edit them as they please. That would probably fix your problem -- better, really, because I suspect someone would make some better German text for you if it's that bad.

Run
21 Feb 2005, 17:35
feature request:

I don't mean to be picky, but don't you mean:

feature request!

Patrick_
21 Feb 2005, 18:04
Thanks Patrick.

Turns out that the rope-attachment code was doing some silly redundant things, like taking the sine and cosine of the rope angle, taking the arctangent of that result, and then taking sine and cosine of that result! In the process rounding errors resulted, meaning the worm was shifted by a pixel or two in an effectively random direction. If there was no room for the worm to shift, there was a good chance the rope would fail to attach.

I've fixed it now. :-)

No problem. Glad it's fixed. :)

Oh, and sometimes, when I minimize my game a LOT (I've only done it once to keep checking on another app) and go back into it, the colors screw up and I can't fix it until totally exiting W:A and restarting it.

Run
21 Feb 2005, 18:53
Minimising is naturally unstable I think, and, I'm not entirely sure about this but, I don't think it can ever be fixed. That might be horribly wrong so I don't know.

Though, if we get windowed mode, it won't be so much a problem :)

anarchist9
21 Feb 2005, 19:06
Great work! And whats Team17's say on the release date?

MrBunsy
21 Feb 2005, 19:11
When Deadcode gives it to them.

bonz
21 Feb 2005, 20:01
I think someone mentioned the possibility of putting all the text strings into a TXT file so anyone could edit them as they please. That would probably fix your problem -- better, really, because I suspect someone would make some better German text for you if it's that bad.
hmm...
they're not really that bad, but i do prefer original stuff to synchronized/translated one!
some of the weapon names & ingame comments are poorly translated and lack some of the fun...

but i still wonder why it was totally in english (menus & ingame) on my win95b machine!
i tried setting my win xp machine to english in regional & language settings and reinstall w:a, but to no avail!

so, is there a way to have english text but still german/austrian language settings?
(my w:a obviously has both!)

XxDangerxX
22 Feb 2005, 04:23
Patrick_ , could you please post WAGames in a .zip file please? It makes it easier for all of us.

Akdor 1154
22 Feb 2005, 08:02
C'mon, it's not that big a file, even on my stupid 28.8 dialup [But we're getting ISDN this Thursday - YAY!!!]

But I think the forum rules should be changed to allow .wagame attatchments (if they haven't been already)

Patrick_
22 Feb 2005, 14:17
Minimising is naturally unstable I think, and, I'm not entirely sure about this but, I don't think it can ever be fixed. That might be horribly wrong so I don't know.

Though, if we get windowed mode, it won't be so much a problem :)

Right. But I have an idea how it might work. What if there was a "Refresh" button in the game that refreshed the graphics or something to that effect?

And sure, if you want zip:

http://thepcelement.com/hardware/bug.zip

And to save 3KB of bandwidth...

http://thepcelement.com/hardware/bug.rar

:)

XxDangerxX
23 Feb 2005, 05:33
C'mon, it's not that big a file, even on my stupid 28.8 dialup [But we're getting ISDN this Thursday - YAY!!!]

But I think the forum rules should be changed to allow .wagame attachments (if they haven't been already)
No, that's not what I'm worried about. If you post it as a .zip, you can post it then and there with the help of the "manage attachments" dialog; not go to all the trouble of creating a link. And on the receiving end, most of the time when someone posts a replay, I don't want to save it to disk, rather just open it then and there. Especially if you're multitasking, you don't know when it will be finished downloading (providing you have 28.8 like me). If you download a zip without saving it to a folder on disk, it will obediently sit there waiting for you to open its contents. You can also notice it on the taskbar when you are multitasking.

Picture this: the dialog (Getright, IE, or maybe even DAP, which is nothing but spyware mind you) where it says open or save to disk; save to disk, you can save it to disk, but it takes longer considering you have to go and open the folder yourself. Hhowever, if you click "Open", it will open it automatically open it when it's downloaded. That's what I want. But for some reason, and this I found out some time ago, it won't open .wagame files whereas it will open zips.

It's damn convenient! THINK!! THIIIINK!!!!!!

Akdor 1154
23 Feb 2005, 06:39
Well get FDM, which can open the folder you've saved it to when the download finishes.

Or use Firefox's built-in download manager, and tell it to auto-save any .wagames to your My Docs\Downloads\WA Replays directory (or wherever). Then just open them from the downloads box that pops up.

Patrick_
23 Feb 2005, 14:13
Or use Firefox's built-in download manager, and tell it to auto-save any .wagames to your My Docs\Downloads\WA Replays directory (or wherever). Then just open them from the downloads box that pops up.

I'll second that. :)

AndrewTaylor
23 Feb 2005, 14:19
Or use Firefox's built-in download manager, and tell it to auto-save any .wagames to your My Docs\Downloads\WA Replays directory (or wherever). Then just open them from the downloads box that pops up.I think Opera can do that too, for what it's worth.
Well get FDM, which can open the folder you've saved it to when the download finishes.In fairness, Internet Explorer has that option.

bonz
23 Feb 2005, 14:39
some news for you...
-->http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=22351 (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=22351)

Glenn
23 Feb 2005, 14:45
And on the receiving end, most of the time when someone posts a replay, I don't want to save it to disk, rather just open it then and there. Especially if you're multitasking, you don't know when it will be finished downloading (providing you have 28.8 like me).

It doesn't matter whether you want to open then and there or save it to disk. It's still saved to disk anyway. If you open it, it's put in the Windows/Temp folder, where it sits until you can be bothered to find it and delete it.

Patrick_
23 Feb 2005, 23:56
A little bug for you, DC. Located at about 29:48. As you can see, the worm shoots the rope but there's no rope gun. :)

RAR:

http://thepcelement.com/hardware/ropeBUG.rar

ZIP:

http://thepcelement.com/hardware/ropeBUG.zip

You probably already know about it, but just in case.

Plutonic
24 Feb 2005, 03:43
what are you on about? in that replay i see someone shooting a rope at a target that is very much too far away, and nothing else. what ever your point, its not shown in the replay.

Deadcode
24 Feb 2005, 05:23
what are you on about? in that replay i see someone shooting a rope at a target that is very much too far away, and nothing else. what ever your point, its not shown in the replay.I had to do a double-take of this... at first I thought you were speaking of the replay that did exhibit a definite bug. But you are quite correct, except that it wasn't out of range... it's just that naelee's aim was off. ;) I tried shooting rope from the exact same place (in fact, I took over that replay at 29:48), and got the rope to catch using better aim (the quantization of the angle forced me to take a tiny step away from the target, making it an even longer distance).

Patrick_, what do you mean by "no rope gun"?

sc7es
24 Feb 2005, 11:40
Deadcode, Pleaseee, Tell Me The Release Of 4.0 Patch

AndrewTaylor
24 Feb 2005, 11:51
I'm fairly sure there is no release date. It's done when it's done.

Run
24 Feb 2005, 12:57
You need a sticky thread:

-----------
IMPORTANT - UPDATE 4.0 RELEASE DATE

There isn't one. Go away.
-----------

Patrick_
24 Feb 2005, 14:25
I had to do a double-take of this... at first I thought you were speaking of the replay that did exhibit a definite bug. But you are quite correct, except that it wasn't out of range... it's just that naelee's aim was off. ;) I tried shooting rope from the exact same place (in fact, I took over that replay at 29:48), and got the rope to catch using better aim (the quantization of the angle forced me to take a tiny step away from the target, making it an even longer distance).

Patrick_, what do you mean by "no rope gun"?

Heh :) By that I meant, the one time she backflipped and shot the gun, the rope looked like it was coming right out of the worms back, with no gun shooting it. And to be more exact, the location of when it happened was exactly 29:51:94 .

See it now? :)

Plutonic
24 Feb 2005, 20:12
im pretty sure thats how its always been, i havent looked again as your download no longer works.

sc7es
24 Feb 2005, 20:25
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaa
Releaseee Dateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Plutonic
24 Feb 2005, 20:39
you have been given an answer, and that answer isn't going to change. If you continue spamming threads you will just get banned.

Run
24 Feb 2005, 21:49
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaa
Releaseee Dateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

The Patch will be released on 24th August 2005

Isn't that right, everyone? *kicks everyone under the table*

So shut your yap and wait.

Deadcode
24 Feb 2005, 22:43
Heh :) By that I meant, the one time she backflipped and shot the gun, the rope looked like it was coming right out of the worms back, with no gun shooting it. And to be more exact, the location of when it happened was exactly 29:51:94 .Oh. I'm so used to seeing that phenomenon, that I gave it no notice. :eek: I suppose it might have looked a little weird the first couple dozen times I saw it. But there's really nothing to do, because if you'll notice, the same exact kind of thing happens when you shoot the rope during a rope roll. Since you're rotating, it can come out at any angle, even from your back...

Squirminator2k
24 Feb 2005, 22:46
The Patch will be released on 24th August 2005

Isn't that right, everyone? *kicks everyone under the table*

So shut your yap and wait.
Oh dear, now you've gone and given Deadcode a deadline (no joke intended, but there we go). People are going to expect it on this date, despite the fact that you're joking. People are also going to assume you work for Team17. Play that to your advantage.

So... yes. We're short of, erm, cash... trying to raise money otherwise Worms 4 won't get released... if you'd like to click the Paypal button over at Dream17.co.uk... Hehe :p

Patrick_
25 Feb 2005, 16:48
Oh. I'm so used to seeing that phenomenon, that I gave it no notice. :eek: I suppose it might have looked a little weird the first couple dozen times I saw it. But there's really nothing to do, because if you'll notice, the same exact kind of thing happens when you shoot the rope during a rope roll. Since you're rotating, it can come out at any angle, even from your back...

Yeah. It's really no big deal,just wanted to let you know.

Run
25 Feb 2005, 18:03
Oh dear, now you've gone and given Deadcode a deadline (no joke intended, but there we go). People are going to expect it on this date, despite the fact that you're joking. People are also going to assume you work for Team17. Play that to your advantage.

*kicks S2K under the table*

Deadcode
26 Feb 2005, 14:15
I want to make it completely clear I'm actively working on the patch, so here's what I've done since v3.6.22.1, to be included in the next release (v3.6.23.1):

Fixes
If your nation in Control Panel: Regional and Language Options: Location was unrecognised, you were assigned an invalid flag number and thus disallowed from joining hosted games (not to mention being greeted with several error messages regarding defaults, upon launching W:A). Now when your nation is unrecognised, you are assigned a question-mark flag and can join any game (and fanfare, flag and soundbank will default to the UK).
The nation flags are improved in the WormNet lobby, with an expanded palette. In the host/join screens however, they cannot use an expanded palette, as it's already taken by the map thumbnail; so in there, they are not changed much.
I've added a Chile flag, but have not implemented the code to use it yet.
Domain names are now supported and used in ServerList.htm. (Previously, only IP addresses would work.) Also, the default http port is now always 80, and doesn't have to be specified explicitly in a server list with multiple servers.
Changing the ally colour set in the Options Menu only lasted for a single session; it was necessary to change the registry setting directly to make it stick.
Entering too long a line in the host/join chat caused a local crash.
PNG maps saved with indestructable borders, when loaded, would be reset to having no borders.
As noted in the entry for v3.6.22.1, the Extract Log console window sometimes opened behind other windows. The previous fix did not work. A stronger attempt is now made to bring the window to the foreground. Also, it now displays the timer on one line instead of scrolling.
Fixes affecting game logic
At a certain water level, Donor Cards would float, throwing the game into an endless loop (the previous fix applied only to Weapon/Utility/Health Crates and Oil Drums).
When a Worm was in a confined space, its Ninja Rope would sometimes fail to catch for no apparent reason.
Features
The Server List now includes a link that automatically logs you onto WormNet using the nickname entered in the main Network Menu.
The <font> tag works a bit more nicely in ServerList.htm, which has been modified accordingly. Specifically, if the size is in quotes (e.g. <font size="2">) the sizes 1-4 are sorted by true size. And colour names (e.g. <font color="yellow">) are supported.
The Extract Log feature now reports user fuse/herd/bounce for each weapon firing, when applicable.
Changed the frame-drop speed ratio from 10% to 33%. (During fast-forwarding of a replay it will still be 10%.) This should make "screen lag" a bit less disruptive, and is a stopgap until a better method for tempering it is found.
Features: Changes to in-game AFK mode (triggered by entering /afk or /away in the in-game chat)
If enabled during worm placement, the worm will be automatically teleported to a random spot.
If enabled while on the rope, jetpack, parachute or bungee, the worm will attempt a landing before skipping its turn.

But please do not ask about a release date. ;)

Chip
26 Feb 2005, 14:37
When's the release date, ha - just kidding.
Great work :)

MrBunsy
26 Feb 2005, 14:41
You know, I was just about to say that!

Yeah, it looks great. Any ideas on how many (not time) patches until V4.0?

Chip
26 Feb 2005, 14:43
Oh yeah that reminds me,

I remember playing Worms on the Megadrive and the thing I rememberd was that the worms could use some weapons that they can't use in other worms games. The weapons they could use wer blotorch, drill and dragon ball. I was impressed to see them use those weapons in the right situations.
Why weren't the worms allowed to use these weapons on later worms games? Better still, is it at all possible to make the worms use these weapons and maybe some more through the beta patches?

Edited for legal reasons.

Squirminator2k
26 Feb 2005, 15:22
I'd edit thaty post to ommit the Emulation part... otherwise you might get into trouble.

You're right, Chip. Up until Worms 2, the CPU Worms were a lot more willing to use some of the more non-standard weapons. Specifically, the computer was quite happy to use Dragonpunch and Fireball. In the event of a CPU Worm not being able to reach it's enemy, it would also use the Blow Torch. This has, however, already been mentioned, although i forget what Deadcode's response was.

Incidentally Deadcode, any chance of you getting the Sheep-On-A-Rope re-implemented? :-)

beaver2009
26 Feb 2005, 21:44
While you're on about flags, is there any way of making Ireland's one green, white and orange?
At the moment it's a pale yellow.

Evil Bunny
26 Feb 2005, 23:19
While you're on about flags, is there any way of making Ireland's one green, white and orange?
At the moment it's a pale yellow.hmm, i remember the german flag, the black is actually turned into a transparent colour. And how about adding a belgium flag, there's one in wwp, but not in wa. (not that i'm from belgium)

Deadcode
27 Feb 2005, 00:51
Here's what the flags look like currently. Please tell me if I got any of them wrong. :-)

XxDangerxX
27 Feb 2005, 04:01
It doesn't matter whether you want to open then and there or save it to disk. It's still saved to disk anyway. If you open it, it's put in the Windows/Temp folder, where it sits until you can be bothered to find it and delete it.

I was waiting for someone to say that.
Okay, I would MUCH rather have it all done automatically (except for the last step - open from the zip file) and for me to not have to worry about it. It will be deleted from windows\temp eventually anyway. Is it REALLY too much trouble to post it as a zip file?

Now DC, I know this has been mentioned before, but animated graves would be heaven! Especially us who's passion is animating. PLEEEEEASE?

bloopy
27 Feb 2005, 06:24
I've added a Chile flag, but have not implemented the code to use it yet.
I think it would be great if you added a flag for Serbia too, there's quite a few wormers from there.

Akdor 1154
27 Feb 2005, 09:32
I think Opera can do that too, for what it's worth. Yeah, IMO, Opera is better than Firefox [ducks for cover]

[comes up again]
i.e. with the download manager that actually is worth using, and all... but I don't really feel like paying for it when almost every other browser is free, so I just use FF.

[something about animated graves]

There are enough obscenities on the gravestones as is it... we really don't need to give them animation. But maybe if the frame rate was fixed at a very high rate... 5ms maybe... and the frame count was limited, we could wipe out nice friendly messages such as

EAT MY ****s
MOTHER****
DIE *****
YOU KILLED MY WORM YOU *******

It's bad enough as it is... we don't need to let them rotate the messages as well.

Squirminator2k
27 Feb 2005, 09:40
Animated graves... interesting.

Run
27 Feb 2005, 10:28
I don't see why not, providing there's an option to disable all custom graves (and have them default to...well, the defaults)

Frankly those graves that look exactly like a mine or crate, can put me off.

Madmaxquinn
27 Feb 2005, 12:42

Isn't that the point?

Run
27 Feb 2005, 12:50
Yes. Yes it is.

Chip
27 Feb 2005, 13:08

I never thought of that, well I'm going to change my grave now. It use to be a skull and crossbones but which one would be better, a mine or a fake worm with a name box and health?

Run
27 Feb 2005, 13:36
You'll have a job fitting all those in a grave.

Chip
27 Feb 2005, 16:57
Yeah well,

Anyway I have another suggestion but it is olny being suggested if we will still get a weapon maker thing in the beta patches.

With the fiddler I always liked adding weapons but you could only ever replace existing weapons. Would it be possible that with the weapon maker thing (if it is still going into the patches) that you could make weapons that get added to your list instead of replaceing.
To do this you could always have another weapons grid that shows up when you click right button on the existing weapons grid in the game just like with the first worms game. Obviousaly the computer worms can't access this and you wont be able to use the F-keys to quickly selcet to them like other weapons but I know I would like a feature like this.

Run
27 Feb 2005, 17:26
So, like, have two variations of the Uzi at once in any particular game? Makes sense. Not sure about multiple weapon panels though - you could simple extend the existing one vertically (then horizontally if no space). I doubt a scheme like you're suggesting would involve 60+ weapons anyway - the variations could simply take the slots of weapons unused.

One should also be able to move weapons about in the grid (in an external customisation ability) to categorise things more conveniently.

These things, though, I doubt will ever come. It would take too much effort for a patch. Still, that's why these ideas will be integrated on my up-coming* site.

*(when I say up-coming i mean don't expect it any time soon)

Patrick_
27 Feb 2005, 20:00
So, like, have two variations of the Uzi at once in any particular game? Makes sense. Not sure about multiple weapon panels though - you could simple extend the existing one vertically (then horizontally if no space). I doubt a scheme like you're suggesting would involve 60+ weapons anyway - the variations could simply take the slots of weapons unused.

One should also be able to move weapons about in the grid (in an external customisation ability) to categorise things more conveniently.

These things, though, I doubt will ever come. It would take too much effort for a patch. Still, that's why these ideas will be integrated on my up-coming* site.

*(when I say up-coming i mean don't expect it any time soon)

Yes, it does, and I think that's a great idea. If DC were really dedicated, I'll bet he'd do it, but who knows.

Custom weapon placement would also be nice.

Good work DeadCode. :)

Now DC, I know this has been mentioned before, but animated graves would be heaven! Especially us who's passion is animating. PLEEEEEASE?

There are enough obscenities on the gravestones as is it... we really don't need to give them animation.

Yeah, really. Or you could require the person who has an obscene grave to set an option telling everyone they have an obscene grave and for the others to disable seeing it... though that would never work. ;)

double post edit

Hey DeadCode, you were probably aware of this, but, when there is a message displayed at the top of the screen (say in a mission, etc) and in the middle of it displaying, while it's still beeping, if you pause the game with ESC, the beeping keeps going until you unpause the game by pressing ESC again.

Chip
27 Feb 2005, 20:27
I doubt a scheme like you're suggesting would involve 60+ weapons anyway

Oh beleive me, I can think of thousands of different weapons where each one has it's own purpose that's different to other weapons.
And I don't mean things like "homing donkey" or "shooting the air strike plane out of a cannon", I mean things like "tommy gun", "grenade launcher", "gas grenade" etc.... I made weapons like this on the fiddler but the only thing was that there was no import sprite option so when I wanted a new visual difference between some grenades, there wasn't so it was either red, green or blue and they were used for:
grenades - green
cluster bombs - red
homing clusters - blue
nail bomb - blue
gas grenade - green
grenade from a grenade launcher - green
hell fire grenade - red
frag grenade - green
krak grenade - red

And this leads me to another suggestion, if we do get a weapon editor then could we also have somekind of sprite importer which works in the same way of importing new graves.
And yes I do know this will mean that for some new imported weapons that are held by the worm, they'll require new worm holding weapon sprites as well.

Patrick_
27 Feb 2005, 21:43
Did anyone notice this? (It may have been mentioned) but:

When you create a new team, it won't let you save it unless you press the question mark next to where you input the team (at least for me)

And, if you press backspace past when the name is totally removed from a Worms name when creating a team, you cannot click OK to save the changes unless you press the question mark next to the name,

MrBunsy
27 Feb 2005, 22:01
I remeber having some problems createing new teams before, but I can't remember any details.

Deadcode
1 Mar 2005, 08:11
Did anyone notice this? (It may have been mentioned) but:

When you create a new team, it won't let you save it unless you press the question mark next to where you input the team (at least for me)

And, if you press backspace past when the name is totally removed from a Worms name when creating a team, you cannot click OK to save the changes unless you press the question mark next to the name,Ok, I think I've fixed that now. You can try it when I release the new version.

Squirminator2k
1 Mar 2005, 09:06
Just so you know, I'm hosting the BETA Update on [Dream17's Worms Armageddon Downloads Page (http://www.fried-comic.com/dream17/softography_wa_downloads.html)] as well now. When the new BETA update is there I will replace the old one. Obviously.

Deadcode
5 Mar 2005, 17:42
hmm, i remember the german flag, the black is actually turned into a transparent colour. And how about adding a belgium flag, there's one in wwp, but not in wa. (not that i'm from belgium)WA has a Belgium flag already.

double post edit

I think it would be great if you added a flag for Serbia too, there's quite a few wormers from there.Which one should I use? The Serbia flag (http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/cs-sr.html) or the Yugoslavia flag (http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/yu.html)?

bloopy
6 Mar 2005, 03:43
Serbia of course... because Yugoslavia does not exist any more.

Evil Bunny
6 Mar 2005, 09:39
yeah it does, it's just alot smaller these days :P

bloopy
6 Mar 2005, 10:46
Oh ok, in someone's backyard or something? What I really should've said is that from what I understand, the UN doesn't recognise Yugoslavia as a country any more.

Run
6 Mar 2005, 10:55
"In March 2002, the Governments of Serbia and Montenegro agreed to reform FRY in favour of a new, much weaker form of cooperation called Serbia and Montenegro. By order of Yugoslav Federal Parliament on February 4, 2003, Yugoslavia ceased to exist."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yugoslavia#The_Second_Yugoslavia

beaver2009
6 Mar 2005, 15:08
For some reason when I minimize worms and, say, check msn, and then go back on.It "has to close" and asks me to send an error report.
My OS is Windows XP and my system spec are below.
|
V

Devoluti0n
8 Mar 2005, 12:08
i got the same problem than u :(

Cisken1
8 Mar 2005, 12:18
For some reason when I minimize worms and, say, check msn, and then go back on.It "has to close" and asks me to send an error report.
My OS is Windows XP and my system spec are below.
|
V

I get that with almost every game under XP...

AndrewTaylor
8 Mar 2005, 12:27
I find almost all games do that, too. I find the best solution is not to minimise them in the first place. If MSN want to minimise it (which it doesn't), I close MSN. Anyone important enough to interrupt a game has my mobile number. Was Worms ever supposed to minimise and restore ingame?

cotton
8 Mar 2005, 12:47
I was reading this forum, but not all messages cause its so long so i'm sorry if i will write something duplicitly...

I want to know the standing of DeadCode about dedicated server idea

And... in new patch will be slovakian flag included ? there are some players from my country, but no flag in current version...

Madmaxquinn
8 Mar 2005, 13:52
Try using xfire instead of MSN.

www.xfire.com

Cisken1
8 Mar 2005, 14:29
BAH! I hate X-fire, when you're just about to shoot a guy or snipe him a window pops up, he sees you, you get killed, I uninstalled it after 2 days of use.

XxDangerxX
9 Mar 2005, 21:57
YOU GUYS SHOULDN'T CALL YOURSELF SENIORS!!!
You didn't even acknowledge that cotton said something!

Cotton, I'm sure DeadCode has seen your post and is currently working on the Slovakian flag.
As for the server thing, I'm pretty sure it's out of his control. He can put in the required code but it means nothing if the server isn't updated. And It'll be a while til that's done.

bloopy
10 Mar 2005, 06:15
Cotton, I'm sure DeadCode has seen your post and is currently working on the Slovakian flag. Well at the moment there is a limited number of empty flag spaces so perhaps he will change this first. The chances of him working on the flag at the moment of your post are rather slim! :p

SacLamb
10 Mar 2005, 08:47
How dare you forget about Antarctica?

We Antarctikites demand a flag!

...and don't forget about Strong Badia :p

XxDangerxX
10 Mar 2005, 10:57
Just a suggestion for the future with the fully customisable hosting: Something really annoying is that on The Fiddler when I want to use a worm sprite for the active weapon, the sprites are facing the opposite direction. This is because while the weapon sprites are all facing right in the directory, the worm sprites are facing left. I want a checkbox that says "Mirror Sprite".

Another thing that is unprofessional again if I want to use a worm sprite as the active weapon, when it hit's the water it just displays the sprite as is. I want it to display wdrown.spr.

And maybe if the worm is flying, if it could maybe act as an aqua sheep and display wswim.spr when underwater...

pera
10 Mar 2005, 18:11
dear deadcode!

Please also include Slovenia's (part of former Yugoslavia) flag in the next patch (flag attached).Thank you!

pera

bonz
10 Mar 2005, 18:29
i also miss slovakia, latvia, estonia, lithuania, belarus & ukraine!
-->http://forum.team17.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=19638 (http://forum.team17.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=19638)

Cisken1
10 Mar 2005, 21:17
WA has a Belgium flag already.

double post edit

Which one should I use? The Serbia flag (http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/cs-sr.html) or the Yugoslavia flag (http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/yu.html)?

Hell yeah! Belgian talking here!

haven't had a problem of the black in a flag being transparent?

bloopy
11 Mar 2005, 09:10
haven't had a problem of the black in a flag being transparent? That only happens in the host room where the host chooses the map and scheme.

Devoluti0n
12 Mar 2005, 12:50
I get an idea, instead of create patch or program for booting people who always cheat in games, why not integre a callvote command for booting ?? like in other games ?

TonY
12 Mar 2005, 17:32
I get an idea, instead of create patch or program for booting people who always cheat in games, why not integre a callvote command for booting ?? like in other games ?

That's not really necessary. I know exactly who I play with most of the time.. and I can usually judge fairly quickly whether or not someone will play by the rules by asking a few questions.

If someone does slip through the cracks and cheats, I just type "Rehost in AG" and quit before the game has a chance to really start. That almost never happens though.

bloopy
12 Mar 2005, 23:06
I think one thing which Deadcode has talked about is being able to enforce more advanced rules in games. That would be a lot better than booting people.

Patrick_
13 Mar 2005, 00:54
Hey DC I may have found a bug.'

Located at 19:57 , when I shot the longbow, the end of the arrow went into the terrain, instead of the tip. Is this supposed to happen?

ZIP:

http://thepcelement.com/hardware/longbowBUG.zip

RAR:

http://thepcelement.com/hardware/longbowBUG.rar

Evil Bunny
13 Mar 2005, 14:20
and I can usually judge fairly quickly whether or not someone will play by the rules by asking a few questions.Lol, i can usually tell by just looking at there name and flag :p

TonY
13 Mar 2005, 17:51
That's called prejudging someone.. I try not to do that because it's usually not very accurate.

Deadcode
13 Mar 2005, 19:22
Hey DC I may have found a bug.'

Located at 19:57 , when I shot the longbow, the end of the arrow went into the terrain, instead of the tip. Is this supposed to happen?Yes, I know of that phenomenon. :-) It happens because the arrow checks along a) a single-pixel linear path, and b) its mask, at its current position on each tick. The mask of a longbow arrow is the same as its sprite, which is larger both at the tip and the tail.

So basically, the arrow can skip ahead such that if it had passed smoothly through, its tip would've hit the land first; but since the arrow moves forward 20 pixels at time, its tail can end up snagging it on the terrain. By the same token, arrows sometimes embed themselves at different depths.

Or to put it more simply, the tip of an arrow can manage to slip past an obstacle, whereas the tail is snagged. :)

I think it's a cool thing and shouldn't be fixed.

Patrick_
13 Mar 2005, 21:35
Yes, I know of that phenomenon. :-) It happens because the arrow checks along a) a single-pixel linear path, and b) its mask, at its current position on each tick. The mask of a longbow arrow is the same as its sprite, which is larger both at the tip and the tail.

So basically, the arrow can skip ahead such that if it had passed smoothly through, its tip would've hit the land first; but since the arrow moves forward 20 pixels at time, its tail can end up snagging it on the terrain. By the same token, arrows sometimes embed themselves at different depths.

Or to put it more simply, the tip of an arrow can manage to slip past an obstacle, whereas the tail is snagged. :)

I think it's a cool thing and shouldn't be fixed.

Exactly. I knew it was something to that effect. Just wanted you to be aware. :)

bonz
15 Mar 2005, 01:11
i have a new (old) idea for a feature!
anyone remember the "magical mystery tour" cheat in worms:dc?
where all the worms' name tags were removed, so you had to remember
which worms were yours!
i'd like to have that implemented in w:a!
either as a (scheme) options or maybe as a weapon/tool (to confuse your enemy),
or maybe both...

also i'd like to have the "on the moon" (permanent low gravity) setting,
which was only available in psx wwp...

Devoluti0n
15 Mar 2005, 21:53
which worms were yours!
or maybe both...

I like this idea !!

Evil Bunny
16 Mar 2005, 07:43
which worms were yours!
or maybe both...

Nice ideas, why not ask for all wormpod options while yer at it.

bonz
16 Mar 2005, 10:30
Nice ideas, why not ask for all wormpod options while yer at it.
well, i did that severall times before here in this monster thread!
but i supposse that we get fully customizable options which include the wormpot settings!
so i just suggest those things that are not in wwp!

Devoluti0n
16 Mar 2005, 20:11
Yop deadcode, can you keep us aware about the patch and date release ? plzzz So hard to wait :) lol.

bonz
16 Mar 2005, 21:52
Yop deadcode, can you keep us aware about the patch and date release ? plzzz So hard to wait :) lol.
rather use the waiting time to think about new, useful & good stuff to suggest,
than always begging for a release date!
btw, deadcode, when does the patch come out?

Patrick_
16 Mar 2005, 22:06
which worms were yours!
or maybe both...

WOW! Superb idea. It shouldn't be too hard... it is already possible in offline games by pressing the '0' num lock key a few times. :)

XxDangerxX
17 Mar 2005, 00:33
Forget the offline stuff. They're talking about ONline here.

bonz
17 Mar 2005, 01:04
It shouldn't be too hard... it is already possible in offline games by pressing the '0' num lock key a few times. :)
players/enemies should be forced to being "blind"...
you can't really tell if people switched off the name tags on the other end of your internet connection!
also in offline hotseat games the players could just press the button and "cheat"!
(unless you threaten them with some beating! :))

btw: the num pad '0' key?
don't you mean the 'del' button (which would be the comma button on the num pad, and only if the num lock is off)?

double post edit

i mentioned something about changing the ingame language in -->this post (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showpost.php?p=355445&postcount=1504)!
when i installed w:a today with anti-silk & fiddler (got it working finally! woohoo!),
my game suddenly was in english (ingame comments, escape menu & weapons panel; not the main menu)!
i suppose that's got something to do with the fiddler!

i'd like to have a language selection option for w:a (like in w3d), so that i can switch between all the languages available on my disk!
or at least some way/trick i can play w:a completly in english!

XxDangerxX
17 Mar 2005, 10:56
I have a suggestion on the invisible tag thing: It comes with the invisibility utility. It will hide the tags of your opponents as your worms become invisible. On top of that, you can press and hold delete for a set period of time defined by DC to manually turn it off anytime within your turn. Offline, it can hide all teams' tags except yours as online, so I guess Invisibility will have to be allowed offline hey?

bonz
17 Mar 2005, 16:32
I have a suggestion on the invisible tag thing: It comes with the invisibility utility. It will hide the tags of your opponents as your worms become invisible. hmm... that would drastically degrade the tactical use of the invisibility! i guess noone will use then (not many people do it now...) if it gives you a disatvantage!
On top of that, you can press and hold delete for a set period of time defined by DC to manually turn it off anytime within your turn. hm? i don't see a purpose here... turning off your enemies tags would be quite masochistic & turning off your tags for others anytime would be too unbalanced! stick with the invisibility utility (preset in the scheme)!Offline, it can hide all teams' tags except yours as online, so I guess Invisibility will have to be allowed offline hey?
it would still be useless offline, as your hotseat enemies can see your worm, but you can't see the tags of the others (hyper masochistic so to speak)!

summary: the magical mystery tour has to be a utility/weapon which can be set in the scheme, so that everyone has the same advantages!

Devoluti0n
17 Mar 2005, 22:22
rather use the waiting time to think about new, useful & good stuff to suggest,
than always begging for a release date!
btw, deadcode, when does the patch come out?

Lol man , i have lot's of idea for the the new patch, like to add in the option menu, a fully personalisable worms (like wears, hat and more) I think that can be really good !!

- Or why not add more worms animations : (with a bungee,for exemple, the worms get only one position, on rope too ; but not on fly )

- to create a special option who let players to play together in real time, (which can work online, sounds great for warmer , Rr an normal game)

- An another Option which can be added to scheme, an option which let to drop 2 diferents weapons in the same turn.

I have lot's of another ideas, but which looks hard to add in worms :) Cyaaaaaaaaaaa !!

ps: soz for my english :p.

bonz
17 Mar 2005, 23:16
Lol man , i have lot's of idea for the the new patch, like to add in the option menu, a fully personalisable worms (like wears, hat and more) I think that can be really good !!that's not possible in 2d worms, as you would have to edit every sprite (every single position a worm, with all the weapons)! and there are thousands & thousands of them!- to create a special option who let players to play together in real time, (which can work online, sounds great for warmer , Rr an normal game)real time worms has been discussed very, very often! some aspects might be tempting, but i think it will just be utter chaos! have a look at -->runforyourlife's wormtech page (http://www.wormiverse.com/wormtech), which discusses the real-time issue and lots of new ideas & weapons for 2d worms!- An another Option which can be added to scheme, an option which let to drop 2 diferents weapons in the same turn.not good! that would just unbalance the game as it is now! I have lot's of another ideasthat's good, but you should think about them more deeply & and suggest only those, which can really be added by deadcode through the patches! that means, nothing which would require a complete disassembling of the game!
my magical mystery tour idea, for example, simply requires the name tags to be removed, which is already possible now by pressing the delete button (although only visual/orientation wise on the local machine)!

Vercetti
18 Mar 2005, 01:36
It's already annoying enough not being able to know where all your worms are, like when they are hidden behind another worm. Very few people would want to play without name tags but there are always some people who want an extra challenge.

In WWP there's an option to use as many weapons in your turn as you have time to ( using a weapon doesn't end your turn ). I would like that option improved. I always wanted to launch multiple super sheep and fly them syncronized ( in Liero you can do that with remote control missiles, launch 100 of them and fly them all together ). Probably not all that great for gameplay but just a fun option.

bonz
18 Mar 2005, 09:38
In WWP there's an option to use as many weapons in your turn as you have time to ( using a weapon doesn't end your turn ). all the wormpot modes from wwp will probably be implemented in the patch! I always wanted to launch multiple super sheep and fly them syncronizedyou could do that with the fiddler (herdable super sheep)! and fiddler-like are probably gonna be implemented too...

Evil Bunny
18 Mar 2005, 11:07
that's not possible in 2d worms, as you would have to edit every sprite (every single position a worm, with all the weapons)! and there are thousands & thousands of them!Not quite true. You could use overlapping images for surtain things like clothing for worms and facial hair. Hats wouldn't work because worms already have hats, coming standard with surtain weapons. It would still take a few dozen of new sprites to be drawn. I dont think Devolutio realises how much work actually goes into that.

Edit: oh, i had an idea that might be worth mentioning: Games like Warcraft 3 have custom maps, which will respond to commands given in the message box. Possably you could do the same for worms. With the 4.0 patch missions should be possible. Maybe a few external variables would allow a player for example to make choices about for example his weapons. So that if he's write: /darksider in the screen he'd get extra darksider weapons. Ofcourse he should only be able to do that ones, and not be able to pick anything else.

I know it would require quite a big change in the basics of worms, but it could do so much good, and allow for so much more customisation i'd say it's worth the effort. Maybe if deadcode would allow people to write the code themselves, it wouldn't take something like the wwp mission editor to be made, which would save most of the effort it'd require.

bonz
18 Mar 2005, 16:36
allow a player for example to make choices about for example his weapons. So that if he's write: /darksider in the screen he'd get extra darksider weapons. Ofcourse he should only be able to do that ones, and not be able to pick anything else.
you're suggesting a per-team weapons customization like in the upcoming w4m...
that would actually be covered by the point-for-weapons mode from wwp (if it's gonna be implemented) to some extent!
maybe, if the fiddler-like weapons customization is implemented, it should be done in a similar way like in w4m! something like combining the team's special weapon with the points-for-weapon mode!
otherwise the game would be heavily unbalanced anyway, i think!
(people playing with tons of hyper destructive weapons only! probably worse than full wormage)

if deadcode could implement some destruction/cluster/homing ratio or limitation thing...
(as the fiddler-like thingie would need an overhaul anyway)

Evil Bunny
18 Mar 2005, 17:02
actually, no that's not in the least what i'm suggesting. It's an example of what could be possible. But, perhaps you could make ctf games with barrels in it, a player could explode by writing a command in the chat

Another could be for a player to sell and buy stuff, so you could have a credit variable. Sell a bazooka to buy extra health for a surtain worm. So yould type something like: /sell zook, followed by /buy hp (wormname)

You could even deal with tech levels. For example you could have a game in which you had a limited choice of weapons. But next to being able to buy one or maybe 2 weapons WHILE you are playing. You could increase a weapon's power (in the fiddler way that would mean a different weapon, which looks simular accept for it's setting). You could get points at the beginning of your turn. Possably visible in your weapons menu.

bonz
18 Mar 2005, 17:29
actually, no that's not in the least what i'm suggesting. It's an example of what could be possible. But, perhaps you could make ctf games with barrels in it, a player could explode by writing a command in the chat

Another could be for a player to sell and buy stuff, so you could have a credit variable. Sell a bazooka to buy extra health for a surtain worm. So yould type something like: /sell zook, followed by /buy hp (wormname)

You could even deal with tech levels. For example you could have a game in which you had a limited choice of weapons. But next to being able to buy one or maybe 2 weapons WHILE you are playing. You could increase a weapon's power (in the fiddler way that would mean a different weapon, which looks simular accept for it's setting). You could get points at the beginning of your turn. Possably visible in your weapons menu.
well, quite a nice idea, but i think too complex to do while playing!
i'd rather see such (and similar) things implemented as scheme/weapon options that can be set before the game starts!
gui controls are better than console commands, imo!

i think the ingame weapons panel definitely needs an overhaul!
(expanded to allow more weapons to be seen)

Run
18 Mar 2005, 17:59

I can see a way this would be abused without safeguards. You could just sell everything, to max out your health all the time. Then you need never worry too much about dying while it's not your turn.

then, when it is your turn, you'd be able to decide whatever weapon is most useful, buy it, increase its power if necessary, and then kill.

It would be a very messy and unbalanced game, I think. The closest idea to it that is actually feasible is the Weapons Vendor, and object on the landscape that dispenses limited weapons for Health when you're in contact with it.

Near bottom of this page: http://www.wormiverse.com/wormtech/otherinteractiveobjects.php

XxDangerxX
18 Mar 2005, 22:47
hmm... that would drastically degrade the tactical use of the invisibility! i guess noone will use then (not many people do it now...) if it gives you a disatvantage!
What I MEANT is it hides the tags for your opponents. you can see everything but they can't.

hm? i don't see a purpose here... turning off your enemies tags would be quite masochistic & turning off your tags for others anytime would be too unbalanced! stick with the invisibility utility (preset in the scheme)!
See Above

it would still be useless offline, as your hotseat enemies can see your worm, but you can't see the tags of the others (hyper masochistic so to speak)!
Offline it hides all tags, but when it's your turn, it shows all the tags of your team while the hotseat counter is on. And for the whole turn it shown the tag of the worm you are controlling.

summary: the magical mystery tour has to be a utility/weapon which can be set in the scheme, so that everyone has the same advantages!

The reason I suggested it be merged with the invisibility, is because invisibility is the closest matching thing and I am smart enough to deduce that DC WILL NOT BE ADDING MORE WEAPONS. Especially as it has been said before a number of times that he won't.

EDIT: YES! I AM FINALLY A SENIOR!!!!!! YES!!!!!YES!!!!!YES!!!!!YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYE SYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patrick_
19 Mar 2005, 00:31
Forget the offline stuff. They're talking about ONline here.

I know, but noticed how I said "It shouldn't be too hard, it's already possible in offiline"

*cough* :)

bonz
19 Mar 2005, 02:47
invisibility + offline = useless!
should be 'nuff said!
human opponents that are sitting next to you & play a games of worms on the same machine,
just have to look a the screen when it's your turn, to find out the locating where you're hiding!
(same goes for "magical mystery tour" tag removing thingie)
computer opponents always know where you are!
(because they are artificial intelligence and probably have infrared & x-ray vision! :p)

deadcode somewhere mentioned that it won't be over after the v4.0 patch has been released!
that's just gonna bring back a secure way for online rankings and some stuff!
afterwards he'll be looking into the fully customizable hosting stuff, which will probably include fiddler-like settings, mission, animal control, et cetera, et cetera!

XxDangerxX
19 Mar 2005, 06:18
deadcode somewhere mentioned that it won't be over after the v4.0 patch has been released!
that's just gonna bring back a secure way for online rankings and some stuff!
afterwards he'll be looking into the fully customizable hosting stuff, which will probably include fiddler-like settings, mission, animal control, et cetera, et cetera!
No I don't remember seeing anything like that said. And trust me; I would notice. I perk my ears up every time I see a post from deadcode. You must have misinterpreted whatever he said.
In fact, I remember him saying exactly the opposite. The 4.0 patch will be the very last one and there will be no work done on it ever again after it. So it will include fully-customisable hosting and the like. And if there are any bugs, well, too bad!

animal control
Animal control?

P2Mc28
19 Mar 2005, 06:33
Can't wait for 4.0 to be completed ^_^

Ever since I got my hands on Fiddler, I had always wanted to make a mod for W:A, something that you can't quite do.

The idea that I would base the mod on would be Gravity weapons! I know it would take a *lot* of coding, but man, that would add a whole new dimension to Worms. A few ideas I've come up with:

Gravity Well: Grenade-like weapon, hit space bar, and it "explodes," creating a black sphere that attracts objects. Lasts x amount of turns, could fade out like napalm. Perhaps it could be solid, and have worms walk 360 degrees around it (it would have stronger gravity, and could pull worms onto it if it were they were close enough. Lots of room to play with this weapon.

Anti-Grav Boots: Utility, allows Worms to walk up any surface ^_^

Bah, I had a lot more, back when I first thought up the idea. But I'm currently distracted and need to get moving. I know these are more than likely out of the scope of Deadcode's ability, but man, they'd made a great addition to a W:A sequel! (Stupid Worms3D lol)

XxDangerxX
19 Mar 2005, 07:21
I know it would take a *lot* of coding

Oh mate!...

...Mate you have no idea! A *lot* doesn't even come close to desribing it. Have you thought this through? Are you aware that W: A is 1-2 MB in size? Are you also aware that this gravity stuff will put it up to 5+MB in size?

Evil Bunny
19 Mar 2005, 07:21
I can see a way this would be abused without safeguards. You could just sell everything, to max out your health all the time. Then you need never worry too much about dying while it's not your turn.

then, when it is your turn, you'd be able to decide whatever weapon is most useful, buy it, increase its power if necessary, and then kill.

It would be a very messy and unbalanced game, I think. The closest idea to it that is actually feasible is the Weapons Vendor, and object on the landscape that dispenses limited weapons for Health when you're in contact with it.

Near bottom of this page: http://www.wormiverse.com/wormtech/otherinteractiveobjects.phpWell... yer right, but there would probably be 100 ways of balancing that, the idea behind what i'm asking is more control of the engine. And that's also where the 100 ways come from.

I chose this example because it's pretty simple to grasp. I don't know if anyone has seen the stuff i've done with the wwp mission editor. It's FAR more complex, but harder to explain. Another example of a use for it would be to set a security level in your 'base'. For exapmle security 1 would allow alot of open passages for your worms, but also lets enemies in, security 2 might meen the defence shield is dropped. Security 3 could be a continueus refresh of the defence shield and security 4 could be something like canons fireing @ your opponent while it's there turn.

And now ofcourse the questoins come: What shield, what cannons.

Stuff i invented for wwp. A shiels is a system of targets dropping around something. If there are targets around an object it is protected by them untill the targets are destroyed. The cannon is a common known thingy in wwp, mines set off in a gun to launch other mines. A variation of it that i invented is the flamethrower, mines blasting a barrel, which puts petrol in the barrel of the gun, and then fires that petrol outwards, like a flamethrower.

Chip
19 Mar 2005, 12:49
this gravity stuff will put it up to 5+MB in size

Gravity stuff?
Have I missed something?

bonz
19 Mar 2005, 15:07
No I don't remember seeing anything like that said.then it was when i played with him on wormnet! and nearly bombarded him with questions! i'm quite sure that he is planning to release stuff after the v4.0 patch! and my 'magical mystery tour' idea is not exactly a new weapon!Animal control?
you can control animals with it! :)

Patrick_
19 Mar 2005, 22:14
Ok I've found an interesting bug playing an offline game. The opposing team was winning, yet their team in the display (though it had a bigger line) was at the bottom, and my team (with a shorter line) was at the top. Unfortunately, in the replay, it didn't show up, but it happened..

Glenn
19 Mar 2005, 22:54
Are you sure that the team's health weren't exactly equal? Regardless of what the bar shows I mean.

Run
19 Mar 2005, 22:57
If so, then it would be a bug in generating the bar.

Still, it's hardly worth bothering about. Fixing the bug might make a new bug.

P2Mc28
19 Mar 2005, 23:09
...Mate you have no idea! A *lot* doesn't even come close to desribing it. Have you thought this through? Are you aware that W: A is 1-2 MB in size? Are you also aware that this gravity stuff will put it up to 5+MB in size?

I have never really put that much thought into it, simply because I don't understand how W:A's insides work. I'm no expert coder, but I always knew making gravity-altering weapons would require a major overhaul of how the game works. That's why I felt it would make more sense for it to be a new game. But still, it would be fun to try! ;)

bonz
19 Mar 2005, 23:47
iirc, there was something for w:a that turned the gravity upside down...

adjusting the gravity in the direction of the y-axis shouldn't be a problem!
(the low gravity utility does this for example)

Patrick_
20 Mar 2005, 01:57
Are you sure that the team's health weren't exactly equal? Regardless of what the bar shows I mean.

Yeah, the one teams bar was way longer than the other and it was on the bottom. Oh well, probably some 1/1000000 thing.

double post edit

I have never really put that much thought into it, simply because I don't understand how W:A's insides work. I'm no expert coder, but I always knew making gravity-altering weapons would require a major overhaul of how the game works. That's why I felt it would make more sense for it to be a new game. But still, it would be fun to try! ;)

And can't blame you for that. :)

XxDangerxX
20 Mar 2005, 02:26
Gravity stuff?
Have I missed something?
Majorly. Look at post #1613

P2Mc28
20 Mar 2005, 04:28
iirc, there was something for w:a that turned the gravity upside down...

adjusting the gravity in the direction of the y-axis shouldn't be a problem!
(the low gravity utility does this for example)

Well, yes. Adjusting gravity vertically isn't an issue. The hard part is creating a seperate point that has it's own gravity, that would pull in all directions, in addition to the normal gravity. It would be very tricky.

Not only that, but the way the sprites are handled would have to be changed. If a worm were to 'land' on the sphere, he would no longer be standing upright, but perhaps horizonally, or diagonally upside-down.

All that stuff may be too complicated, and may ruin some gameplay a bit if it were too hard to deal with. But hey, it's just one weapon idea, and I was glad I could finally share it with some fellow wormers :)

Deadcode
20 Mar 2005, 06:36
No I don't remember seeing anything like that said. And trust me; I would notice. I perk my ears up every time I see a post from deadcode. You must have misinterpreted whatever he said.
In fact, I remember him saying exactly the opposite. The 4.0 patch will be the very last one and there will be no work done on it ever again after it. So it will include fully-customisable hosting and the like. And if there are any bugs, well, too bad!It's funny that there could be such a large misconception. Let me dispell it: v4.0 will not be the last word for WA. :cool: There's just too much cool stuff to do for it all to fit into 4.0.

XxDangerxX
20 Mar 2005, 09:31
ah.
10 character minimum

Devoluti0n
20 Mar 2005, 10:19
:D yep, For me, and for all of us : W:A 'll Nerver die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bonz
20 Mar 2005, 13:03
:D yep, For me, and for all of us : W:A 'll Nerver die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
only the worms will die! ;)

Chip
20 Mar 2005, 13:26
As long as new updates and patches come out, a game will never go away, just look a Duke Nukem 3D, it's just over 9 years old and with the new updates it's state of the art.

Evil Bunny
20 Mar 2005, 14:43
what?? duke nukem got updates?? cool :D

sc7es
20 Mar 2005, 16:36
Ohh yeahh, WA never dies, in the 2020... UPDATE PATCH 13.0

Evil Bunny
20 Mar 2005, 17:49
Ohh yeahh, WA never dies, in the 2020... UPDATE PATCH 13.0LOL, i think we'd have to be glad if 4.0's out by then :p

AndrewTaylor
20 Mar 2005, 17:51
Hey, the longer it takes, the better it'll be when it gets there.

Evil Bunny
20 Mar 2005, 22:20
lol, i'm not saying it's a bad thing :P

Swed Simon
20 Mar 2005, 22:52
The 3.0 updating process have been going on for long enough. I say fix the most important thing first which is (according to a majority of all W:A players) a new working ranking system, and then after that keep on updating the 4.0 patch with smaller features and bug fixes as long as it's needed.

XxDangerxX
22 Mar 2005, 06:12
I've been working on updating The Fiddler's Spritelist.txt and Spritelistalpha.txt and filling in the numbers that weren't there (water sprites, level sprites, cdrom.spr and phone.spr) and I found two that "weren't there". Could someone help me out please? they are numbers 825 & 826. Here's the file to help you help me. I would prefer DC answer this one unless anyone else have extensive knowledge of the W: A code.

Deadcode
22 Mar 2005, 06:57
I've been working on updating The Fiddler's Spritelist.txt and Spritelistalpha.txt and filling in the numbers that weren't there (water sprites, level sprites, cdrom.spr and phone.spr) and I found two that "weren't there". Could someone help me out please? they are numbers 825 & 826. Here's the file to help you help me. I would prefer DC answer this one unless anyone else have extensive knowledge of the W: A code.Those numbers are probably Fiddler-specific. The sprites are neither defined nor loaded in that order in W:A.

XxDangerxX
22 Mar 2005, 22:30
I'll talk to Fudgeboy then.

Patrick_
23 Mar 2005, 18:02
Sweetness! New update for Worms Armageddon!

Linkage (http://wa.team17.com/main.html?page=supp&area=upda&file=15)

wowtschik
23 Mar 2005, 23:01
yay good job :)

XxDangerxX
24 Mar 2005, 05:27
Yeah!

...Except mine doesn't work.
Error message: The procedure entry point AllowSetForegroundWindow could not be located in the dynamic link library USER32.dll

Dodgymat
24 Mar 2005, 11:04
Error message: The procedure entry point AllowSetForegroundWindow could not be located in the dynamic link library USER32.dll

Already a fix has been released for this, and the font/disappearing text issue - check the 3.6.23.0 Update thread in the Beta Forum

Chip
24 Mar 2005, 16:53
Ahh yes, it's been so long since I've heard the speech "Hell has no fury, like a well timed grenade".

Good work Deadcode.
The only thing now is that I havn't heard the speechs "perfect" or "amazing shot", while I was doing the missions I used to hear them all the time even when everyone missed but that was a old beta update.

So are these speeches still active and if so, how good of an amazing shot do you need to hear them?

XxDangerxX
3 Apr 2005, 13:30
Thanks DC! It's working again!

Love those new intros!

Notice my new avatar...

double post edit

New update available.

ßeta v3.6.24.2.
Who subscribed to tha thread entitled: "wormsarmageddon.team17.com" before when I posted that link?

EDIT: YESSSS!!!!! WE HAVE OFFLINE ROPE KNOCKING!!!!!

EDIT: Who likes my avatar? I haven't had a single compliment about it yet. You do realise that 2 hours of work went into it? Except for the initial text, I drew every frame by frame pixel by pixel.

Run
3 Apr 2005, 13:32
Who likes my avatar? I haven't had a single compliment about it yet. You do realise that 2 hours of work went into it? Except for the initial text, I drew every frame by frame pixel by pixel.

It's very nice. Although I think it would be far better on a black background.
But yes, a lot of work must have gone into that and the result is brilliant.

Plutonic
3 Apr 2005, 14:57
mmm, looked better transparent.... :p

Chip
3 Apr 2005, 17:08
Another update released allready.
That was quick.

skîm
3 Apr 2005, 19:35
Thanks DC! It's working again!

Love those new intros!

Notice my new avatar...

double post edit

New update available.

ßeta v3.6.24.2.
Who subscribed to tha thread entitled: "wormsarmageddon.team17.com" before when I posted that link?

EDIT: YESSSS!!!!! WE HAVE OFFLINE ROPE KNOCKING!!!!!

EDIT: Who likes my avatar? I haven't had a single compliment about it yet. You do realise that 2 hours of work went into it? Except for the initial text, I drew every frame by frame pixel by pixel.

We have offline rope knocking?
i have the new pacth and my worms dont knock! only if the turn is over
is there an option to activate the rope knocking? pls reply thx

TN2003
3 Apr 2005, 20:28
http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=23037
second post might help you ;)

XxDangerxX
4 Apr 2005, 09:09
I STRONGLY recommend reading the .rtf you get with each & every update. Go to the section on the latest features and bufixes.

mmm, looked better transparent.... :p
So be it.

Akdor 1154
6 Apr 2005, 09:43
Woah, I go away for a couple of weeks, and it just happens DC releases two updates... :D

Any chance of two patch versions - a full one to update from any version, and a cutdown one that only contains the changes since the last update - especially now the new sprite dirs are in there as well... three and half meg is a bit of overkill if you already have most of it... :confused:

EDIT:: Oh, I just realized how blind I was... you learn something new every day (http://wa.team17.com/main.html?page=supp&area=upda&file=18) :/

Chaos_666
10 Apr 2005, 20:56
Will this 4.0 be compatible with fiddler or will it have its capabilities already???

MrBunsy
10 Apr 2005, 20:57
It will have 'fiddler like capabilities'. If I remember rightly

Run
10 Apr 2005, 21:40
v4.0, or possibly updates before then, will make the Fiddler obsolete.

Chaos_666
10 Apr 2005, 21:41
Hooray 4 tht, everyones dying 4 it arnt they :)

It would be nice if he gave us screen shots of all the woking new features yho :D

cotton
11 Apr 2005, 18:56
And can i ask when the patch will be available to download ? 3 months of words, but no patch here...

I send greetings to deadcode (bill :) )

Run
11 Apr 2005, 18:57
And can i ask when the patch will be available to download ? 3 months of words, but no patch here...

I send greetings to deadcode (bill :) )

Bill?

Anyway, v4 won't be out for ages yet. Instead, a string of updates have been leading up to. It latest one came out merely days ago: http://www.wwwclan.de/WA_Update-3.6.24.2_Beta.exe

XxDangerxX
13 Apr 2005, 01:11
Bill?

And also, whoever wants instant notification of a W: A update, just subscribe to the thread entitled: "wormsarmageddon.team17.com" under the forum entitled "Updates".

And to make it easier, here's the link.
http://forum.team17.co.uk/subscription.php?do=addsubscription&t=7340

Squirminator2k
14 Apr 2005, 09:12
Is it possible to include Integrated Clan Support for a future patch?

Glenn
14 Apr 2005, 14:10
Well, if he makes the buddy lists for WormNet, I'd suspect that clan support would only be a stone's throw away. It's just an overglorified buddy list, after all.

AndrewTaylor
14 Apr 2005, 14:12
And can it default to putting you in the Apathy Clan if you don't express a preference?

Glenn
14 Apr 2005, 14:22
And can it default to putting you in the Apathy Clan if you don't express a preference?
I don't think that's allowed. Who knows, maybe they actually care about clans too much to be in the Apathy Clan, even if they don't express a preference.

Or maybe they actually care about being in AC... :p

Squirminator2k
16 Apr 2005, 22:21
The thingabout the Apathy Clan is that, rather shockingly, it isn't a clan. Or it is. I don't know.

canofworms
17 Apr 2005, 07:22
Ever heard of No Clan? ;)

SargeMcCluck
17 Apr 2005, 14:21
Ever heard of No Clan? ;)

It'd help if you got Andrew's joke.

Chip
22 Apr 2005, 22:10
Back to bigger terrain talk.

There has been many rumors that bigger maps and more worms will make it somewhere in the patch, however - if we do get bigger tearrains then how much bigger are we talking? x2 x3? Or will it only be bigger in a certain axies like horizontal not vertical and so on.

XxDangerxX
23 Apr 2005, 12:06
THAT - would be nice!
Just imagine...

Chip
23 Apr 2005, 14:07
Also a few things to fix:

When a petrol bomb has been thrown and fire remains on the terrain, if you then destroyed a crate or used naparm (really anything that causes burning fire) then the petrol bomb fire will go out thus no longer causing pinning.

Another thing is that sometimes when I have played a long game, when it is about to come to the stats screan - it sometimes closes to desktop. And therefore non of the games played are counted. I think this has something related to the CD. I.E: the CD starts to spin in the drive but it hasn't got to full speed in time and so the game closes. Does that make sence?

Chaos_666
23 Apr 2005, 20:49
interactive background and Mega huge map compatibilities wud b good

EP_Guy
23 Apr 2005, 20:52
Beta? W:A? new version?

Whatta hell are you talking about?

MrBunsy
23 Apr 2005, 21:14
Use your EYES and READ. All will be revealed :P

bonz
23 Apr 2005, 23:35
Use your EYES and READ
activate your BRAIN before using your eyes!
that may help too!
(and leave it activated afterwards!)

wormsfan77
23 Apr 2005, 23:38
Bonz, EP-Guy is only eight yearz old. He needs to go to a lesson "Brain - Lesson"

bonz
23 Apr 2005, 23:54
the sooner he activates his brain, the better! :)

wormsfan77
23 Apr 2005, 23:56
*Waiting for activating EP_Guys brain**

Only a joke, Ep_guy.

XxDangerxX
6 May 2005, 13:20
I never knew what those timer workaround_on and _off registry entries.
Could someone explain them to me please? I searched through the .rtf file but I couldn't find what I'm looking for.

P.S.
How's the next update going?

bonz
6 May 2005, 13:36
I never knew what those timer workaround_on and _off registry entries.
Could someone explain them to me please? I searched through the .rtf file but I couldn't find what I'm looking for.
that's what i found in the beta readme:
If you experienced a buggy/laggy timer or inoperational game starting with 3.6.19.17, execute the registry script TimerWorkaround_On.reg.

XxDangerxX
14 May 2005, 00:42
I have a request.

Has anyone let off a sheep or cow above a cavern map? If you have, you'll have noticed that the little arrow is pointing down, instead of in the direction it's walking in. This reflects how the game "sees" it. DC could you change it so it indicates the direction that it's walking? This can be a handicap when customisable hosting comes in. I mean, I have The Fiddler, and I tried to make a smart missile that follows along the ground. I used track movement and the missile sprite was pointing down. I had to scrap the idea becase of that.

P.S.
There's something I'm really up the creek on. What is it about the Mad Cow that makes it explode when it hits terrain that it can't walk over? I can't see anything that makes it do that.

Chip
14 May 2005, 09:42
Cows explode when they walk into a peice of terrain that stops them from moving.

Run
14 May 2005, 09:44
Yeah. It's part of the whole idea of the Mad Cow.

`Grey`Est
14 May 2005, 10:31
Mr. DeadCode :)

I am very thankful (not only me) that You make such work for W:A. The update for W:A that makes some new nation flags available doesnt have some other flags available. I would be more thankful if You have made more flags for European countries. I mean that not all European countries are presented at Wormnet.
I have beem played W:A & WwP for 2 years. I am not only from Estonia who play Worms. Could You make an estonian flag available in next update please.

Thank You

Run
14 May 2005, 10:45
I find it truly bizarre that flags are at the top of people's update wishlists.

XxDangerxX
14 May 2005, 14:00
Cows explode when they walk into a peice of terrain that stops them from moving.
WOW! REALLY?? DID YOU FIGURE THAT OUT JUST THEN???

Perhaps I haven't made myself clear.
I - want - to - know - what - that - is - editable - inside - The - Fiddler - makes - the - mad - cow - do - that.
I am sure at least ONE of you are familiar with The Fiddler

Chip
14 May 2005, 14:27
I havn't used the fiddler for some time due to many reasons but I think there should be a little option under the raoming weapons tab that says "explode on terrain".

It's a long shot but it just may be what stops cows exploding on terrian :rolleyes:

bonz
14 May 2005, 14:31
I find it truly bizarre that flags are at the top of people's update wishlists.
would you want to play with the star spangled banner instead of the union jack? :rolleyes:
i wouldn't want to play with the german flag just because german is spoken in austria! :eek:
and i guess people of the baltic countries don't want to play with the russian flag! :-/

implementing a few flags isn't that much work anyway...

Run
14 May 2005, 14:33
would you want to play with the star spangled banner instead of the union jack? :rolleyes:

I really wouldn't give a toss what flag I had.

Chip
14 May 2005, 14:52
I see flags as no great concern.
I made my own flag and it took about 1 minute so If you want a flag done then make it yourself because you will spend less time on it then waiting for the next patch to come out.

bonz
14 May 2005, 14:53
I see flags as no great concern.
I made my own flag and it took about 1 minute so If you want a flag done then make it yourself because you will spend less time on it then waiting for the next patch to come out.
we're talking about the country flags in the wormnet lobby, not the (user editable) ingame flags!

Chip
14 May 2005, 15:00
In that case - I see the lobby flags as no great concern.

Mainly because I don't go into the lobby or have multiplayers because when ever I do go there all the people can't speak English or no one wants a game.

XxDangerxX
15 May 2005, 23:53
I havn't used the fiddler for some time due to many reasons but I think there should be a little option under the raoming weapons tab that says "explode on terrain".

It's a long shot but it just may be what stops cows exploding on terrian :rolleyes:
Okay, I think I've found it. All the normal boxes (Terrain, worms on terrain, worm holding weapon, worm on bungee/rope, etc. crates, donors, oil drums, skimming) were ticked on "Roam off" and the same on "Explode on flying into" and probably themost important is under "Jump angle" there is a value set of -1. I'll test it and get back to you.

Maybe we should move this convo to the thread: "How to get the fiddler working on Windows XP... post your fiddles here." (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=22649&goto=newpost) ( <— linkage)

`Grey`Est
16 May 2005, 16:49
Not true, Run! Flags are not the main thing that interests ppl in WN.
I am fully thatnkful to DeadCode that he has removed a lot of bugs in W:A. Compared to W:A WWP is completly forgotton worms version. I ask to add new flags to Lobby, coz I cant find any other ideas to make WA more prefect then it is.

You may write here your advises or wishes connected with W:A, but it doesnt mean that your idea will be listen by upper instances. Nothing depends on my desire here, Team17 & DeadCode decide here everything.

Have Fun

canofworms
19 May 2005, 07:07
I think deadcode should cut back on the 3.6.24.what updates now and work on 4.0 more. I cant see any more bugs anymore that anyone would care about. Really all we need is more features.

Squirminator2k
19 May 2005, 07:14
I think deadcode should cut back on the 3.6.24.what updates now and work on 4.0 more.
What a stupid comment. If you knew anything about software programming, you'd know why.

Really all we need is more features.
Stupid strikes again! Hey, you're two-for-two today. Give us one more ridiculous comment, you've got a quota to meet.

XxDangerxX
19 May 2005, 10:07
Well, actually, I would like to saee some features, although bug-fixes take higher priority.

But there aren't really that many bug fixes left. Bugs are caused by extra features. But there are no more bugs to fix right now, which means more features. But features take longer than bug fixes to implement, so I'm guessing that DC is away working on more features, as we haven't had an update for a fair while.

This is a very controversial topic you've brought up, canofworms.

Akdor 1154
19 May 2005, 21:47
Yes, it is.

4.0 WILL BE THE LAST UPDATE!
I'm standing with Zeke on this one.

canofworms, what the hell do you think he's working on?! How to make worms eat candy without getting rotten teeth or some crap?

Anything put in these updates is there to be TESTED. I'm assuming you don't know what 'Beta' means. It means "a pre-production version of software for TESTING". If Deadcode went straight to the 4.0 patch and added everything without testing it, I highly doubt you could even get the the main menu without a crash!

Squirminator2k
19 May 2005, 21:55
Deadcode has already stated that this, in fact, is not the case. 4.0 is a "target" for all of the fixes and updates he has planned. He doesn't intend to stop there.

Can we have a stop on all people pretending they know All regarding this update, please?

canofworms
20 May 2005, 06:37
Yes, it is.

I'm standing with Zeke on this one.

canofworms, what the hell do you think he's working on?! How to make worms eat candy without getting rotten teeth or some crap?

Anything put in these updates is there to be TESTED. I'm assuming you don't know what 'Beta' means. It means "a pre-production version of software for TESTING". If Deadcode went straight to the 4.0 patch and added everything without testing it, I highly doubt you could even get the the main menu without a crash!
Yes. I know that beta means that. I KNOW WHAT ZETA MEANS (thankyou now defunct be inc). Im just saying there is next to no visible bugs left that it must have less crashyness than Linux! If you really want bugs fixed here is one. When going to team editor with a bad gravestone in the folder at least the game could say Illegal gravestone found or even hide the stone.

double post edit

Well, actually, I would like to saee some features, although bug-fixes take higher priority.

But there aren't really that many bug fixes left. Bugs are caused by extra features. But there are no more bugs to fix right now, which means more features. But features take longer than bug fixes to implement, so I'm guessing that DC is away working on more features, as we haven't had an update for a fair while.

Exacly my point Akdor 1154

Squirminator2k
20 May 2005, 10:31
If you really want bugs fixed here is one. When going to team editor with a bad gravestone in the folder at least the game could say Illegal gravestone found or even hide the stone.
There's already a solution to that - don't make Gravestones that are Bad. Everyone knows they have to be 256 colours.

bonz
20 May 2005, 11:01
i think the biggest bug that has to be fixed is to make w:a so secure, that online ranks work again and can't be hacked!
this was a feature in the original game of 1999, but doesn't work at the moment, so it needs to be fixed!
sounds like a bug to me!

Squirminator2k
20 May 2005, 11:47
i think the biggest bug that has to be fixed is to make w:a so secure, that online ranks work again and can't be hacked!
this was a feature in the original game of 1999, but doesn't work at the moment, so it needs to be fixed!
sounds like a bug to me!
You're right, Deadocde probably hasn't been working on this at all. Hell, it's not like it's a target for him to reach or something, like he plans to have Secure Net Play and Online Rankings up and running by a certain update, or something. Not like he's aiming to get this in the some kind of v4 BETA update.

Seita
20 May 2005, 12:33
sounds like a bug to me!

Any infos on how it has been hacked when it was up ?

Plutonic
20 May 2005, 14:38
last i heard the ranks will be using replays as a type of securtity. He wont do the rankings untill the replays are secure.

canofworms
22 May 2005, 07:09
Hey Deadcode! Got a estimated release date or even % complete?

SargeMcCluck
22 May 2005, 11:25
Any infos on how it has been hacked when it was up ?

God yes. It's been (relatively) common knowledge for ages.

(Very late edit - 3000 posts!)

canofworms
22 May 2005, 13:36
Couple of questions for Deadcode.

1. Are your options from Antisilk embedded into the beta patches (e.g. does /nosilk work in the betas?)
2. Why havent you posted here for a long time?
3. Could you make a option to load fiddler schemes?

bonz
22 May 2005, 15:08
Couple of questions for Deadcode.
1. Are your options from Antisilk embedded into the beta patches (e.g. does /nosilk work in the betas?)
2. Why havent you posted here for a long time?
3. Could you make a option to load fiddler schemes?
1. i think all of them have been implemented already! (you won't be able to play with the silkworm online i guess)
2. he told that in another thread! he bought a new computer & now has the menu slow down problem (which he is going to fix quickly now!) :p
3. though fiddler-like options were announced sometime, i think they won't be compatible with the old .fwp & .fsc files, because there will probably be more & diffrent options in w:a v4.0!
also i think you will probably be able to save all your options in the scheme files! (that would be the best i think)

Akdor 1154
23 May 2005, 09:25
Deadcode has already stated that this, in fact, is not the case. 4.0 is a "target" for all of the fixes and updates he has planned. He doesn't intend to stop there.

Can we have a stop on all people pretending they know All regarding this update, please?

Give me a quote and I'll leave you alone :p

Glenn
23 May 2005, 14:01
From the Real Bugs thread, post number 17 made on 19 Feb 2005 at 2:45 AM GMT by Deadcode:

Version 4.0 will not be the "final" version, it will simply be a stable, secure version with secure rankings/leagues and some (not all of the planned) new options.

http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=20916

bonz
23 May 2005, 14:31
-->post #17 (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showpost.php?p=355085&postcount=17)
(added that link to my signature :))

Chip
23 May 2005, 21:24
So that means one day in the future we will have a beta patch of 6.3 or 19.38 or even 134.37
But I will be happy at any stage as soon as the beta-patch-fiddler-weapon-thingy is out.

Squirminator2k
23 May 2005, 21:25
It's a possibility.

bonz
24 May 2005, 00:49
So that means one day in the future we will have a beta patch of 6.3 or 19.38 or even 134.37
But I will be happy at any stage as soon as the beta-patch-fiddler-weapon-thingy is out.
i hope so! :eek:

can't imagine my life without worms anymore!

Akdor 1154
24 May 2005, 03:59
Damn you Glenn :p

DocExplode
26 May 2005, 00:34
I'm sorry for the mistaken words/expressions, my English isn't so good.

BTW, I have a question ... I've noticed that there's in WA CD a reference for Tools terrain (a subfolder with this name in \Data\Level directory). I want to know if there's a chance of playing in this terrain in the next versions of WA.

It's a very nice terrain (as I can see in GBC version), but I really want to see it working in PC.

bonz
26 May 2005, 01:46
Tools terrain (a subfolder with this name in \Data\Level directory). I want to know if there's a chance of playing in this terrain in the next versions of WA.
oh! i never noticed that!
i guess that should really get fixed!

and as deadcode already implemented unused speechbank files, i think it's not that hard either!
(or has he alraeady spoken about that sometime?)

DocExplode
26 May 2005, 02:15

and as deadcode already implemented unused speechbank files, i think it's not that hard either!

The old versions of the game (v1 and v3) has a duplicated reference to tribal terrain in editor, maybe one of these references could be typed wrong in the original source code of the game (just an hypothesis).

The 3.0.5.0 patch fixed this problem by removing one "Tribal", so I think that can be very easy to put a reference in editor to "Tools".

It's a little thing, but it should be corrected, isn't it?

Deadcode
26 May 2005, 02:20
I'm sorry for the mistaken words/expressions, my English isn't so good.

BTW, I have a question ... I've noticed that there's in WA CD a reference for Tools terrain (a subfolder with this name in \Data\Level directory). I want to know if there's a chance of playing in this terrain in the next versions of WA.

It's a very nice terrain (as I can see in GBC version), but I really want to see it working in PC.As a matter of fact, I've already done that :) It'll be usable in the next beta.

I have no idea why "Tools" was removed in the first place; it was replaced with a doubled "Tribal" before the betas. Assuming that there was a reason for this, I removed the doubled "Tribal" in v3.5 Beta instead of replacing it back with "Tools".

But heck, whatever reason there may have been, it's lost now... so we'll just find out. Maybe it'll work fine for everyone, or maybe someone's version will desync... but Tools will be enabled.

BTW, unlike the change in v3.5, this one is backwards compatible; previously saved levels will always be loaded with the same terrain they had when saved (of course, "Tools" will only be usable if everyone is using 3.6.26.1 or later). Later I'll add WWP's "Dinos" and "Domestic" as well.

DocExplode
26 May 2005, 03:43
As a matter of fact, I've already done that It'll be usable in the next beta.

Sweet! :D

It's a good idea to put the WWP terrains too.

SacLamb
26 May 2005, 03:43
Colored mines! Woo0-o0o0o0o :D

Run
26 May 2005, 08:57
Colored mines! Woo0-o0o0o0o :D

I hope not. :confused:

XxDangerxX
26 May 2005, 09:23
Colored mines! Woo0-o0o0o0o

Now, now, let's not go too far. We don't want W:A to become an advanced WWP, do we! That would make WWP useless and a waste of money for the people (including myself) who bought it. That cost me just under $40.00 AUD, which is VERY expensive for an unemployed 15 year old.

Tools terrain (a subfolder with this name in \Data\Level directory). I want to know if there's a chance of playing in this terrain in the next versions of WA.

OMFG!!! I SAID THAT AT LEAST TWICE A LONG TIME AGO!!! DOES NOT ANYONE PAY ATTENTION?????

Madmaxquinn
26 May 2005, 18:52
We don't want W:A to become an advanced WWP, do we! That would make WWP useless and a waste of money for the people (including myself) who bought it.

I hate to point it out: - but we do and it was. Out of all the Worms titles I have bought it had the shortest play life. It has been shelved, like many other games, never to be resurected again, ever.

MastOfDisa
26 May 2005, 21:25
Hello Deadcode, I've got a few suggestions to make. :)

1. How about folder-support in the map editor? People with 5k+ of maps have several problems:
1.a) The loading time of the map editor gets annoying (~10secs). On Wormnet, noone can join in this time (lags).
1.b) It´s hard to find the map you are looking for.

I don´t want to have only a part of the maps at a time in my game, because it reduces flexibility. Also, it would be pretty cool if you had seperate folders for your roper, rr, shopper etc. maps.

2. It would be really nice if WA had a windowed mode. Worms is a turn based game, you could have your messenger on hand and it would make the work of movie-makers easier ;)

I'd be really happy if you could fulfill my dream of the folder-support :) I think that I'm not the only one who would enjoy that.

bonz
26 May 2005, 21:46
How about folder-support in the map editor?
but sub-folders in your ..\User\SavedLevels folder are already available! :-/
i'd like to see subfolders in the ..\User\Schemes folder though!
windowed mode
afaik it's not possible at the moment, due to something with directx...
deadcode said something about implementing it though!

Akdor 1154
26 May 2005, 22:18
Something tells me there's not much you can do to speed up the loading of more than 5,000 maps, especially if it's already been tweaked to 10 seconds - maybe they could be cached when you first start W:A, behind the Team17 / Microprose splash screens, though?
But then again, you probably know how frustrating Halo CE is, so maybe not...

MastOfDisa
27 May 2005, 00:11
They should be cached when you open the folder in-game, not earlier imo. You will hardly play all the schemes... :)
Any yay, subfolders work! Thanks.

bonz
27 May 2005, 01:54
You will hardly play all the schemes...
yes, but it's quite annoying to select a scheme in the drop down menus, since mouse wheel scrolling doesn't work!
(iirc, there was a reason for this)
and i have 33 schemes in my folder... :-/
you could for instance sort them alphabetically (a-g/h-n/o-z) or by game type (rope games/old-school games) etc. etc.!

Deadcode
27 May 2005, 04:45
Hi MoD — Has the loading time of the map editor been shortened now that you're using folders? :)
yes, but it's quite annoying to select a scheme in the drop down menus, since mouse wheel scrolling doesn't work!It doesn't!? It works for me... I implemented this back in the first beta. You need to drop down the list first before the wheel is enabled... Did you do that?

bonz
27 May 2005, 14:05
It works for me
found out what the problem is:
i'm using enhanced scroll mode with my mouse drivers!
this enables scrolling where the mouse cursor is hovering above!
no need to switch windows by clicking it (to get its focus)!

that obviously doesn't work in the w:a's "windows"...
(standard windows scroll mode works)

and i always wondered why the falling stars in the background came to a halt when i was scrolling... :rolleyes:

anyway to fix this?

p.s.: sub-folders in the schemes folder would still be nice! :)

MastOfDisa
28 May 2005, 15:44
Hi MoD — Has the loading time of the map editor been shortened now that you're using folders? :)

Hm, not sure. There are still many maps which I couldn´t identify.
And the mouse wheel works for me, too. :)

[edit] No, the loading time is still the same =|

ShootMe
1 Jun 2005, 06:47
hello all, i havent read all the posts in this thread so i dont know if this has been asked before or not, but i was wondering if there could be any way to add some sort of in game weapon editor to WA like Fiddler. back in the old dayz(6 years ago) i had great memories playing worms with fiddler enabled with my custom arsenals =), and i would think a lot of other people would be happy as well if there was an editor like that, and it wouldnt need to be as complex as fiddler was just something extra to add to the game play would be nice =).

PS: i noticed when in game switching how player names and health are shown above each worm that it wont save your last setting instead it will default to the name of the worm and health. is this intentional?

bonz
1 Jun 2005, 10:49
like Fiddler
"fiddler-like" customization is going to be implemented in a future beta update!

read on -->run's wahelp page (http://www.wormiverse.com/wormtech/wahelp/)!

Chip
1 Jun 2005, 17:33
Can I just say that when a new patch update comes out can people clearly say that it has came outwith big words or even on a new thread or something because I have just looked at the WA page and the next update is available well for me anyway.

Run
1 Jun 2005, 17:38
Can I just say that when a new patch update comes out can people clearly say that it has came outwith big words or even on a new thread or something because I have just looked at the WA page and the next update is available well for me anyway.

Subscribe to the WA website update thread in Announcements, and you'll get an e-mail each time it updates.

bonz
1 Jun 2005, 21:07
deadcode always posts the download links for a new update in a new (sticky) thread in the beta update support subforum...

DaSzab
2 Jun 2005, 20:22
Ya know what Deadcode should add to the update? The ability to hear downloaded soundbanks without actually downloading them. I have a cool (and hilarious) soundbank and barely anyone can hear it!

ShootMe
2 Jun 2005, 21:25
There would be a big problem with that because then people would have to download each sound to their computer to hear it, and that would not be good for slow connection or fast ones either i just looked at one zippy put together and it was 8mb large. Thats not something you want to download for each other person that has a custom sound bank in a game.

SargeMcCluck
2 Jun 2005, 21:40
I'd be more impressed as to how you can hear it without downloading it. As that means you won't have it on your PC.

Maybe Deadcode could make the speaker volume really, REALLY loud. ;)

DaSzab
2 Jun 2005, 22:33
I'd be more impressed as to how you can hear it without downloading it. As that means you won't have it on your PC.

Maybe Deadcode could make the speaker volume really, REALLY loud. ;)
Hmm... what if the game automatically downloaded cutom maps, flags, and graves that were used online. It might work with soundbanks, too!

Squirminator2k
2 Jun 2005, 22:50
It's not important. It's only speech. It doesn't have any serious affect on the gameplay. If you want people to hear it really, really badly, point them to a URl where they can download it before the game starts.

Or, how about on the Team Edit screen, you get the option of inputting the URl you got the speechbank from (or somewhere online where the speechbank can be found) so that when the Lightbulbs are turned on this message appear:

All users ready. Latest features from v3.xx.xx.x will be used.
PlayerName is using a speechbank called speechbank name that you do not currently have on your system. This can be found at URL. This is not required for the game to commence, and you can continue without downloading the speechbank.

DaSzab
2 Jun 2005, 22:53
Good point. Now that I know the soundbank idea is out of the question, I'm wondering about graves, flags, and maps. The game might ask you if you want anything from the last online game, and you could choose what you want to use for yourself.

And that's an even better idea! I never thought of that!

Dodgymat
3 Jun 2005, 00:38
You can already extract maps (& schemes) from the replay of a previous game.

Graves & flags are personal

bonz
3 Jun 2005, 02:02
ehrm...
custom .bit & .png maps are automatically downloaded by all players!
as are flags & graves...
(those files are only a few kb in size)

it was somewhere discussed about using the ogg vorbis compression for speechbanks!
though it really isn't necessary, as i don't want to hear some crappy home-made or badly ripped-off speech anyway...

Maybe Deadcode could make the speaker volume really, REALLY loud.
hehehe!
if there are a few people from the same town, it would get very loud there... ;)
you'd here your own speech with a few seconds delay if you don't close your window...

ShootMe
3 Jun 2005, 03:33
i wear headphones so id go deaf instantly most likely =)

Vercetti
3 Jun 2005, 08:32
Hmm... what if the game automatically downloaded cutom maps, flags, and graves that were used online. It might work with soundbanks, too!

Even using audio compression the soundbanks are much larger than custom maps, flags and graves. It would be good if WA did a CRC check of the maps you already have, so you didn't have to redownload the same map everytime you join a game.

Deathwing
3 Jun 2005, 22:52
so when is the beta update gonna be finished? :-/

Run
3 Jun 2005, 23:13
Tomorrow morning at 2.15 am sharp.

DaSzab
4 Jun 2005, 00:11
Good point. One point of clarification, though. I didn't make the soundbank. I got it from the powerpack at blamethepixel.com. But I'm getting off topic. How about an in-game editor for flags and graves?

Garak128
4 Jun 2005, 02:06
I've played worms since worms 2 and pre-oreder WA many years ago and while im very glad such a classic game is still being patched years after it was released, I feel like you could be working on making it so much better rather then misc bugfixes. While bugfixes are great, worms armageddon never was a buggy game, the few that were there in release weren't a big deal, and some even made the game more enjoyable.
Some suggestions on fixes / future additions:

Bring back colors to the chat rooms and in game. You used to be able to use pretty much any color you wanted thru commands like /me \color, so /me \r for red, i think that was the command, in any case it worked years ago. Having the same commands ingame as in wormnet would be good too.

Glitch's like jump-shooting the rope down and multi cow heards by jumping/jet pack would be a neat option, maybe even a fullblown classic mode, enabling all the old glitchs from worms 2 that ppl liked.

I noticed you added a warning when using non-standard schemes. I got some hacked schemes that work well and no longe crash the game, they shouldn't give warnings.. Making WA 100% compatible with power levels up to like 100 so you can truely customize the game to a new level would be nice.

Huge very annoying bug that's been around forever:
Enabling sheep always in crates mode causes about 75% of all crates to contain sheep or super sheep. I've tried hundreds of schemes with every possible settings for crate probability, but it's ignored, even set to 0, tons of sheeps.
It's a nice option too, good for shopper games so sheeps hop out when u blow a crate, doing extra damage)

Related: making crate weapon type probabilty work for all weapons including super weapons would be cool.

CD-Check, No longer useful in stopping pirates. It's very easy to create a 1:1 image of the CD nowadays and pirate it all you like. Not to mentioned being a 6? year old game no one pirates it anymore.
99% of online multiplayer games made by smart developers remove the CD-Check with the first patch now. (Half-life, Doom, Quake, Unreal, Medal of Honor Series, Battlefield, you name it, no cd checks)

The CD actualy prevents many people from playing since the disks are so old now most are too scratched to succefuly load the game, mine certainly is.

The big obvious one: Bring back ranks please.