PDA

View Full Version : Is this game a complete upgrade from Worms 2?

Horror Sco
14 Oct 2011, 20:52
I've never played Worms 2, and I recently bought the Armageddon and Worms 2 bundle as it's the easiest way to get a hold of Armageddon these days, and still dirt cheap.

No I'm wondering, is Armageddon just a complete upgrade of Worms 2? Or does Worms 2 do anything better, or have content armageddon doesn't?

I'm just basically wondering if there is any reason to play Worms 2 at all if I have Armageddon.

Thanks for any replies.

SgtFusion
14 Oct 2011, 22:01
There are about two things that Worms 2 has that plain Worms: Armageddon doesn't. One is Worms 2's ability to modify weapons more extensively, and even that can be done much more extensively in Worms: Armageddon with WormKit (http://worms.thecybershadow.net/wormkit/) and Project X (http://px.worms2d.info/). The other thing Worms 2 has that Worms: Armageddon doesn't is a slightly larger different weapons set (i.e. it has some weapons which Worms: Armageddon doesn't have, such as Cloned Sheep or Homing Air Strike), and again, the extra weapons can be fairly easily re-created in W:A with Project X. Not only that, but W:A already has quite a few weapons that Worms 2 doesn't have. The only reason I can think of to play Worms 2 is nostalgia.

CyberShadow
14 Oct 2011, 23:44
a slightly larger weapons set"larger" is probably not the best word to use here:

http://worms2d.info/images/archive/1/1e/20091208140545!W2_WeaponPanel.png http://worms2d.info/images/archive/1/13/20091208140518!WA_WeaponPanel.png

SgtFusion
15 Oct 2011, 00:01
Okay then, maybe I should have actually checked before saying that. Anyway, my post has been corrected.

Horror Sco
15 Oct 2011, 01:50
Thanks for the replies, I guess I won't bother playing Worms 2 then lol

KRD
15 Oct 2011, 15:42
Playing around with the immensely overpowered weapons is quite a bit of fun on W2 and the single player missions are interesting enough, if for no other reason, then for the little narrative that the level passwords form if you put them all together. Both these things are something an avid fan of the series should in my opinion experience, maybe over a rainy Sunday afternoon when the internet connection is down. And while you're there, it doesn't hurt to try out the slightly more springy Ninja Rope (just so you won't feel left out if those holy W2 vs. WA rope arguments ever crop up again) and the two or three weapons that were either changed or taken out in WA.

But yeah, there's nothing really better about the game anymore, if there ever was. Plus it can be a hassle to find the right unofficial patch for it that lets you use higher resolutions and also the network code is just outright broken compared to WA's; most people can only play two player matches.

franpa
16 Oct 2011, 02:33
One is Worms 2's ability to modify weapons more extensively, and even that can be done much more extensively in Worms: Armageddon with WormKit (http://worms.thecybershadow.net/wormkit/) and Project X (http://px.worms2d.info/).

However W:A requires all users participating in the game be using Project X to access such advanced functionality where as Worms 2 doesn't.

GreeN
16 Oct 2011, 02:46
However W:A requires all users participating in the game be using Project X to access such advanced functionality where as Worms 2 doesn't.

You make it sound as though you would actually be able to find someone to play Worms 2 with

franpa
16 Oct 2011, 05:24
Well yeah, I have a couple people on MSN that used to partake in the BnG and Roper Cases. They still have the game and enjoy it ;)

bonz
17 Oct 2011, 09:57
Weapons that W2 has, which have been cut from WA:
Homing Air Strike
Homing Cluster Bomb
Cloned Sheep

Weapons that were different in W2:
Nuclear Bomb (no poisoning, only land sinking; French national anthem playing -> French nuclear test at Mururoa atoll in mid-1990s)
Confused Sheep Strike (non-burning sheep)

Weapons that had a different name in W2:
Mike's Carpet Bomb (still has the name "Mike", presumably after a carpet dealer from Ossett)

StepS
17 Oct 2011, 10:47
Weapons that W2 has, which have been cut from WA:
Homing Air Strike
Homing Cluster Bomb
Cloned Sheep

Weapons that were different in W2:
Nuclear Bomb (no poisoning, only land sinking; French national anthem playing -> French nuclear test at Mururoa atoll in mid-1990s)
Confused Sheep Strike (non-burning sheep)

Weapons that had a different name in W2:
Mike's Carpet Bomb (still has the name "Mike", presumably after a carpet dealer from Ossett)

Yeah, also Team17 planned a Gas Canister but didn't eventually include into release (even the class for it was already introduced). Currently you can try all these weapons in WA only by downloading my weapon pack in the nearby thread.

Pac-Man
17 Oct 2011, 11:24
hey wait a minute. there are freeze sprites in w2 which are never used, but the ice block when w2-worms are frozen looks exactly like the freeze weapon image in w:a.

i broke the secret

back OnT, there are hacks only for w2 which allow up to 11 worms each team (if you try more the game crashes) or immediately attaching or a superlong (1920pixels) ninjarope.
there was also the possibility to have 9 second grenades or 9x herding for cows and stuff, but since rubberworm this feature has been ported to w:a too with /fuseex.
lastly, w2 had a hidden weapon where ufos attacked the worms and abducted them... no wait that was just a team17 april fools joke.
and i still like the big jump cheat w:a doesn't have (only with low gravity but lowgrav sux).

Thurbo
17 Oct 2011, 11:29
The soundtracks are different, too. Really take some time listening to the Worms 2 ones, because those are by far the coolest video game soundtracks I've ever heard until now :)

matteobin
17 Oct 2011, 12:48
The soundtracks are different, too. Really take some time listening to the Worms 2 ones, because those are by far the coolest video game soundtracks I've ever heard until now :)

You are right, I really miss them... why doesn't Team17 include them in Worms Reloaded too?

I would love listening a remix version of that awesome music! :)

P.S.
My favourite: Swim like a brick.

franpa
17 Oct 2011, 15:06
back OnT, there are hacks only for w2 which allow up to 11 worms each team (if you try more the game crashes)

I thought Des didn't release that tweak, he did say he would but last I saw it was months with no actual release of the hacked program that enables it.

Pac-Man
17 Oct 2011, 16:16
I thought Des didn't release that tweak, he did say he would but last I saw it was months with no actual release of the hacked program that enables it.

Yeah there was a hack released having a textbox for entering the number of worms, but it was set to a maximum of 8, so I hacked the hack to enable an infinite maximum there, and it worked (worm names are then based on the content in memory behind the team array) :p If you want it I can upload it.
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8090/w2supedi.jpg

Oh yeah, and the soundtrack is pure awesome. Including the unreleased tracks which have a weird synth but are cool too. Bjorn forever. Too bad T17 forced him to get back to the environmental stuff for W:A and never changed the opinion till today (though the W:A tracks are not bad too but uncomparable with W2's).
I hear the W2 soundtrack while playing newer W:A games.

And W2 had booby traps.

franpa
17 Oct 2011, 18:21
Booby traps is something I really miss and yeah I would like the hacked program please :) That's the same one Des said he hacked. It has 2 easter eggs, one that unlocks the ability to have up to (9 or) 10 worms per team and another much harder to find easter egg to unlock up to 11 worms per team. He couldn't figure out the 2nd easter egg but did work out the first one so he just hacked it.

Pac-Man
17 Oct 2011, 18:22
Here: http://pacman.highfsb.net/team17/Supedi.exe
;)

Extremist2
19 Oct 2011, 08:55

That name shows up in WA when you collect it in a crate.

Another name that's different between WA's weapon menu & crate pickup is (Patsy's) Magic Bullet.

Pac-Man
19 Oct 2011, 10:15
Thats default. The names shown in the weapon table are always shorter, cutting away unimportant details. After you selected them they appear at the top center of the screen with their full name. And those two weapon names haven't changed afair.

franpa
23 Oct 2011, 04:56
Here: http://pacman.highfsb.net/team17/Supedi.exe
;)

Invalid File Name, Access violations etc. errors abounds! the program doesn't work properly. I assume it needs additional files to function correctly.

Pac-Man
23 Oct 2011, 09:20
No it doesn't need other files. It's a bug masterpiece itself and if you select more than 10 worms W2 will always crash sooner or later (right after start or while playing).
However I was never able to control the 9th or additional worms, they're just dummies standing there giving health for the team. Never tried killing the real 8 ones and then controlling the 9th worm.
It often has about 255 worms selected at startup for no reason causing some bugs right after start, check the numeric updown box for that.

I bet you already know the W2 Patcher by S*natch which has another large set of features (except the in-game modifications covered by this tool)?

franpa
23 Oct 2011, 15:03
Yep I know of S*natch's tools as well as Des's revision/tweaks of said tools (Des added several new tweaks as well as numerous new resolutions to choose from). I have a feeling this Super Editor isn't working because I haven't installed Worms 2 on this Windows installation so some registry entries like a path variable might be missing resulting in the strange error messages and the inability to launch Worms 2 from the editor. (It shows a Access Violation error message when clicking the button to launch Worms 2)

Pac-Man
23 Oct 2011, 21:16
Yeah probably, I have W2 installed completely.
I think I also have Des' editor, does yours feature 1920x1080 resolution? Mine doesn't.

franpa
24 Oct 2011, 15:27
Nah it doesn't have 1920x1080. If someone can contact Des he might update it to include the resolution.