PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have a good grasp of writing academic references?

Paul.Power
18 Jan 2007, 16:42
I've been writing an essay on Richard Feynmann for my course, and I have the problem that most of the stuff I have on the subject is in the form of Feynmann's lectures and recorded conversations that have been transcribed and edited into books by other people.

Any idea how to organise that lot into a coherent reference list? In particular, how should I date the lectures - as when they were given, or as when my edition of the book was published? The problem with the former is that I don't know them all. The problem with the latter is it seems a bit weird to source a guy with a date after his death.

bonz
18 Jan 2007, 16:56
I've been writing an essay on Richard Feynmann for my course, and I have the problem that most of the stuff I have on the subject is in the form of Feynmann's lectures and recorded conversations that have been transcribed and edited into books by other people.

Any idea how to organise that lot into a coherent reference list? In particular, how should I date the lectures - as when they were given, or as when my edition of the book was published? The problem with the former is that I don't know them all. The problem with the latter is it seems a bit weird to source a guy with a date after his death.
I'd say the latter.
You are citing the respective authors book, regardless of its content. That's where someone is going to look up your citation.
It could even make a difference if 2 authors compiled the same lectures of Feynmann. One author could for example falsify something.