PDA

View Full Version : Problems running as non-privileged user

goldstj
29 Sep 2006, 02:13
After installing Worms 2, frontend.exe (which has been patched to 105) will run under an account having Administrator privileges on Window XP Media Center Addition, but will generate an error when initiated under an account that has limited privileges. The Windows ACLs suggest that everyone can run this executable. Any ideas?

Spad_DeeAk
29 Sep 2006, 03:06
what exact error is generated? its hard to help if you dont give us all the info..

also, are you sure the .005 patch is the correct patch for your version?

goldstj
29 Sep 2006, 03:16
The error that's generated is similar to the one that's generated when IE crashes - a Windows error window comes up with the message "frontend.exe is unstable and has generated an error" and you have the opportunity to either send feedback to Microsoft or not. Are you familiar with this type of error window?

How would I know whether .005 is the correct patch for my version?

robowurmz
29 Sep 2006, 07:13
I know what to do. Right click on the frontend.exe and choose "run as...". Then a box will prompt you for an administrator's username and password. I think there is a little checkbox too that says "run as this user every time". What this option does is run it as if an administrator is running it. Then it should work!

Muzer
29 Sep 2006, 19:05
Yes. I do that for those old/crappy games that only work on the user u installed it on

eg GameShadow...

goldstj
29 Sep 2006, 22:27
I will certainly try that approach and let you know how it goes. What's interesting is that I installed Worms Armageddon at the very same time, and there's no issue with a non-privileged user running the game, despite the fact that it was installed by Administrator. I'm trying to figure out how one would work but the other wouldn't.

Thanks for all your help.