PDA

View Full Version : Reformatting or fixing a messed-up hard drive

FutureWorm
8 Jul 2006, 14:09
So I have a 2.5" laptop hard drive, which I hook up to my computer via an enclosure. Recently, however, the thing stopped connecting properly, and now it doesn't respond at all. I've tried various disk repair programs on the drive, and while some can recognize the drive, they are unable to actually read it. There's nothing especially important on the drive, so I'd be willing to reformat it, but I am unable. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem?

If you're wondering, it's FAT32 formatted, so that I can read it on both Macs and PCs.

SupSuper
8 Jul 2006, 15:28
I don't know if it's fixable if disk repair programs can't. When mine's busted, "fixboot" or "fixmbr" usually fix it (used through the Repair Console on XP's installation disc).

If that doesn't work and the partition's damaged so that you can't mess with it, you have to delete the partition itself. Anything that can manage partitions should be able to do that (I think even XP's installation disc can delete partitions).

If you can't even do that, then it might be a hardware problem.

FutureWorm
10 Jul 2006, 10:02
I don't have my XP install disc, what partition tools do you recommend?

Xinos
10 Jul 2006, 10:43
Well, there is a disk partitioning tool in windows, but it's very hard to find. My computer teacher brought it up at a LAN, but since then I have not been able to find it again O.o

Anyway, you could use Partition Magic (or Partition Tragic as some call it).
It get's the job done, but advanced features like changing drive letters and other information can be dangerous ;D. All good fun though.

Edit: Hmm, looks like Symantec bought Powerquest and now it's Norton PartitionMagic. Creepy.

worMatty
10 Jul 2006, 11:39
Start > Right-click My Com-pute-tor and choose Manage.

-- or --

Open the command prompt and type DISKPART for the complicated version. The first option, I'm not sure about whether or not it can do external drives. I've received mixed information.

Alternatively, buy something like this: Maplin A47BC (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=A47BC&DOY=10m7) and connect your drive to one of your PC's IDE cables to bypass the enclosure, in case there's a problem with that.

SupSuper
10 Jul 2006, 18:55
Well, there is a disk partitioning tool in windows, but it's very hard to find. My computer teacher brought it up at a LAN, but since then I have not been able to find it again O.oControl Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management.

Anyway, you could use Partition Magic (or Partition Tragic as some call it).
It get's the job done, but advanced features like changing drive letters and other information can be dangerous ;D. All good fun though.

Edit: Hmm, looks like Symantec bought Powerquest and now it's Norton PartitionMagic. Creepy.I'd suggest against using it, although I doubt there's any danger in deleting a partition, but heck, when I used something as simple as Resize Partition, it would error out in the middle of the process and leave me with a corrupt partition which I would have to fix with the XP install disc. It wasn't even fixable once, forcing me to dump 40GB of stuff. :mad:

Anyways, you're bound to find lots of free partition managers around. Googling led me to this one: http://visopsys.org/partlogic/

worMatty
11 Jul 2006, 14:12
My way's quicker :p

A massive magnet would help you regain the ability to format it.

FutureWorm
11 Jul 2006, 14:50
I'm wondering if maybe it's physically damaged. I ran Windows Computer Manager and the disk didn't show up. Does this mean that the partition table is damaged?

worMatty
11 Jul 2006, 17:14
Nahh, the disk would show, but like I said I'm not sure if it shows external drives. I don't think it does but I've heard otherwise.