PDA

View Full Version : Muffled speech

rutra80
1 May 2013, 12:24
I used to play CD version of WA, but lately I bought it on Steam and I noticed that worm's speech sounds muffled there, like it was low-pass filtered or down-sampled. In team editor where I can preview speech-bank it sounds fine, the problem is in game. Is it a bug or my system (I have a crappy SoundMAX integrated audio)?

Star&Moon
3 May 2013, 02:23
This was a feature added in a release, that the speech of worms not shown on the screen being muffled.

KRD
3 May 2013, 03:23
What Star&Moon is referring to is the "Stereo effects" option available in the advanced options menu inside the game:

http://krd.clansfx.co.uk/dump/c57444006b08daccd85d6e71acdf14b6/000000A6.png

It could be responsible for what you're noticing so I guess try disabling or lowering it there... but that setting was implemented long before WA was put on Steam and doesn't really sound like it messes with the quality of the sample much to me, so I'm not really sure here.

franpa
3 May 2013, 11:51
yeah it's the stereo panning. Set that to 0 and all sound FX on screen will be loud.

rutra80
3 May 2013, 12:01
Nope it's not that. It's not that they're quiet, they lack high frequencies (treble).

StepS
3 May 2013, 15:12
What Star&Moon is referring to is the "Stereo effects" option available in the advanced options menu inside the game:

It could be responsible for what you're noticing so I guess try disabling or lowering it there... but that setting was implemented long before WA was put on Steam and doesn't really sound like a it messes with the quality of the sample much to me, so I'm not really sure here.

wtf Krd, does this picture mean the white-texts-on-maximize bug is back? :eek:

LTKiller
3 May 2013, 16:27
wtf Krd, does this picture mean the white-texts-on-maximize bug is back? :eek:

The screenshot made me check that, and no, it isn't here.

I'd suppose the screenshot comes from an older version.