PDA

View Full Version : Worms Armageddon at long last available on Steam as standalone!

Extremist2
20 Mar 2013, 00:39
And fully updated!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/217200/

North American price is $14.99 USD. Only change I'm aware of from the old disc-based versions is the removal of some mildly politically incorrect voicebanks.

Spread the word!!!

P.S. What's with the high minimum specs? Does Windows XP + Steam + WA really need all that power?

Jakebob
20 Mar 2013, 01:51
Oh cripes, you aren't kidding. I'd've likened this to an early April Fool's joke, but hey, here we are.

Time to tell everyone I know!

Edit: Whilst I get them removing The Raj and Rasta voice packs, removing Angry Scots and Jock seems a bit strange. I doubt that they're going to offend any Scottish folk with those voice packs, though on thinking about it, it's probably that the pack will offend the ears of other folks. Still a strange thing to remove them :V

Muzer
20 Mar 2013, 02:31
Oh cripes, you aren't kidding. I'd've likened this to an early April Fool's joke, but hey, here we are.

Time to tell everyone I know!

Edit: Whilst I get them removing The Raj and Rasta voice packs, removing Angry Scots and Jock seems a bit strange. I doubt that they're going to offend any Scottish folk with those voice packs, though on thinking about it, it's probably that the pack will offend the ears of other folks. Still a strange thing to remove them :V
Team17 Test's removal is not surprising but sad ;)

I believe also the Euthanasia training was renamed Advanced Weapons Training and Pervo Laugh fanfare was also renamed (unsurprisingly ;))

matteobin
20 Mar 2013, 14:19
It sounds really good, maybe this game will have more players now.

Squirminator2k
20 Mar 2013, 20:08
The removed speechbanks weren't removed due to "political correctness" but rather to ensure the game retained it's 3+ age rating, which is difficult when you have a speechbank which includes the phrase "This is pure crap, by the way."

Extremist2
20 Mar 2013, 21:57
Copied from StepS post on Steam forums:

Q: I have read the system requirements on Steam Store page and was like WTF. Is that real?
A: No! It's not real, Team17 just copypasted them from Worms Revolution. The real system requirements are just like the original ones from 1999, with maybe a *tiny* increase due to software rendering.

This should be corrected. The high specs might scare some potential customers away.

Jakebob
21 Mar 2013, 01:16
Also, a thing that people are apparently being up in arms about is the price. I don't get it, isn't £12 a good price for a game like this, that you can have with you virtually anywhere you go provided you have a computer and an internet connection? A disk version is around £5-6 around here, so is there a reason for the higher price tag?

Extremist2
21 Mar 2013, 01:20
The game is great value. People seem to think that just because it's old, it should automatically be super cheap.

Squirminator2k
21 Mar 2013, 01:35
£12 would be a perfectly fine price if we hadn't been able to get it elsewhere for less than half that price for the better part of the last decade.

Extremist2
21 Mar 2013, 04:49
12 euros is about 16 Canadian dollars. I paid 15 CAD for a used disc back in 2007.

IMO, it's a perfectly fair price.

Squirminator2k
21 Mar 2013, 04:51
The UK asking price is £12. You can currently buy Worms Armageddon bundled with Worms 2, new, from Sold-Out Software for £5. Or you can buy it from Amazon.co.uk, still new and still bundled with Worms 2, for £3.36 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Worms-Double-Pack-Armageddon-PC/dp/B000E23XNA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363841449&sr=8-1).

But feel free to tell us that £12 is still a fair price. Go on. We're all ears!

Extremist2
21 Mar 2013, 05:09
Ah, 12 pounds. That's about 18.50 CAD. A bit high indeed.

But say that the price over there was equivalent to 15 CAD (a little over £9.50). Can you honestly tell me that this game is not worth that, no matter what the price elsewhere may be?

And cut the snark...

Squirminator2k
21 Mar 2013, 05:10
At this point Worms Armageddon is over 14 years old. It has been available elsewhere at a budget price for almost a decade, and has sold well enough. The market has already determined what Worms Armageddon is worth - is it really fair of Team17 to more than double the price just because they went to the trouble of putting the game on Steam?

Extremist2
21 Mar 2013, 05:12
The market may be able to bear more than the pre-Steam price. The sales figures will determine that.

Squirminator2k
21 Mar 2013, 05:14
WA is currently the 98th best-selling game on Steam, just ahead of the critically reviled Aliens: Colonial Marines. For a game that just dropped on the service that's a terrible position. Unless something drastic happens in the next week I predict it'll drop off the top 100 entirely.

SgtFusion
21 Mar 2013, 05:16
The US asking price is £12.
Just so you know, it's actually more like £9.90.

Squirminator2k
Just so you know, it's actually more like £9.90.

Sorry, I typed US when I meant UK.

Extremist2
It's a 14 year old 2D turn-based strategy game that's only been up for 2 days. I suggest waiting a little longer for word to leak out a bit more.

Squirminator2k
21 Mar 2013, 05:21
It's a 14 year old 2D turn-based strategy game that's only been up for 2 days. I suggest waiting a little longer for word to leak out a bit more.

Duke Nukem 3D dropped for Steam this week and is in the top 10.

Age of Empires II drops in two weeks and is already in the top 20 based on preorders alone.

SimCity 4 came out on Steam in 2010 and is currently in the top 40, though in fairness that may be due to the recent controversy regarding EA's new SimCity title.

Age of Empires III Complete dropped in January and is the 51st best-selling game on Steam right now.

Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 Platinum was added to Steam in December 2012 and is currently the 75th best-selling game on Steam.

Extremist2
21 Mar 2013, 06:21
I guess the Worms name doesn't hold the weight it used to.

Still, let's wait a few days...

Squirminator2k
21 Mar 2013, 06:23
It also doesn't help that Team17 has done exactly zero promotion of this release.

Extremist2
21 Mar 2013, 06:28
It also doesn't help that Team17 has done exactly zero promotion of this release.

It has been posted on their Facebook twice, yesterday and today.

Squirminator2k
21 Mar 2013, 06:33
That's nice, but not everybody Likes Tea17 and/or Worms on Facebook, so they may well have missed the announcement. I mentioned this on the Penny Arcade Forums yesterday and a ton of people were very surprised that the game had been released on Steam.

Extremist2
21 Mar 2013, 06:34
Well, let's try to keep the buzz up. :)

StepS
21 Mar 2013, 06:42
Age of Empires II drops in two weeks and is already in the top 20 based on preorders alone.
it was actually #2 best seller on 8 march (or 9, don't remember).
I think the simple reason is because it is actually promoted as 'HD', while WA isn't. Also a considerably bigger community given the fact there was no official support even.

Tea17
was this intended?

Squirminator2k
21 Mar 2013, 06:43
I think the fact that it was actually promoted did it some service.

And no, "Tea17" is a typo.

Squirminator2k
21 Mar 2013, 19:20
Worms Armageddon has now fallen off the top 100.

SupSuper
21 Mar 2013, 20:28
I'm pretty sure they just copy-pasted Worms Revolution's price (much like the requirements) since it's the exact same on all regions. :p

StepS
21 Mar 2013, 20:41
I'm pretty sure they just copy-pasted Worms Revolution's price (much like the requirements) since it's the exact same on all regions. :p

the price is exactly the same for all worms games here (plus WR season pass), except WUM which is 1 dollar more. Lazy Team17. Btw the price here is 10 $.
requirements: yes, copypasted from Worms Revolution.
More proper requirements are here (http://team17.com/games/worms/worms-armageddon).
Whats this shop Team17?

Extremist2
21 Mar 2013, 22:37
Well, I've posted on all of my usual gaming forums. Have y'all done the same? ;)