PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 error

westbob
17 Dec 2011, 03:31
I have an old version of WA and have installed and patched the latest. Game works OK for about 130 games of Deathmatch then suddenly "has developed an error please check Errorlog.txt" but I do not have Errorlog on my computer and surprisingly have no game records either. Strange I love this game but it's apparently not bullet proof in Win 7. If I reinstall etc I know it will work again for a while so what's going on?

KRD
17 Dec 2011, 03:55
What folder are you installing it to? Is it definitely a writable one? "Program Files" is known to cause issues. You'll definitely need the ERRORLOG.TXT file if you want to troubleshoot this properly.

westbob
17 Dec 2011, 04:12
The program is, of course, installed in Team17 folder that has the following files:
Read me
Sound Bank Editor
Uninstall etc
WA
So I don,t know why a standard install I did doesn't have other files like it used to when I first got the program many years ago. Well I haven't re-installed yet because I'd like to find out why this is happening (about 5 times now and after about 320 games of death match). There was no problem installed in XP. When program starts it states we are"changing into windows7 basic"

franpa
17 Dec 2011, 04:22
I have a feeling he is talking about the Start Menu not containing an errorlog.txt file...

westbob
17 Dec 2011, 05:16
Sorry no I have given what files are in my folder labelled Team17

StepS
17 Dec 2011, 05:27
the Team17 folder isn't the full path of installation. WA usually gets installed into /Team17/Worms Armageddon, so the errorlog is there.

westbob
17 Dec 2011, 05:35
Yes sorry I wasn't specific!. I gave all the files in my folder Team17/WormsArmageddon. Just reinstalled and program is now working OK but no doubt what happens will happen again. Files I gave still the same.....NO LOG FILE

Chip
17 Dec 2011, 12:38
Windows 7 is a ******* for not allowing files to be created outside specific directories. This is most certainly the reason why you have no log files nor game replays.

You'll need to change the permissions to that directory to allow files to be created there. Right click on the Worms Armageddon folder and choose properties, then the security tab of that window. You'll then see a box with aload of options relating to read / write controls. Set these to allow to let files to be created / edited in that directory. Setting "Full Control" to allow will select all of the options for you.

I had this problem with many other old programs that saved its own content in its own directory, as well as annoying me when I couldn't edit nor make new files on my second hard drive that I added specifically to store my own art work that was going to be constantly altered.

StepS
17 Dec 2011, 13:05
Windows 7 is a ******* for not allowing files to be created outside specific directories. This is most certainly the reason why you have no log files nor game replays.

You'll need to change the permissions to that directory to allow files to be created there. Right click on the Worms Armageddon folder and choose properties, then the security tab of that window. You'll then see a box with aload of options relating to read / write controls. Set these to allow to let files to be created / edited in that directory. Setting "Full Control" to allow will select all of the options for you.

I had this problem with many other old programs that saved its own content in its own directory, as well as annoying me when I couldn't edit nor make new files on my second hard drive that I added specifically to store my own art work that was going to be constantly altered.

What you are saying shouldn't normally happen. Windows 7 has a strict list of the restricted paths (like Program Files, system32, etc), and not the opposite; the /Team17/ has never been in the restrictions list. He might have another problem, but I'm not sure.

westbob
18 Dec 2011, 01:36
Hmm thanks for advice. I did that and still no log file etc. I set permissions first to the folder Wormsarmageddon and still same files loaded. Reinstalled and , of course, had to reset permissions but no change. Set permissions then to Team17 folder but no change..........I had the permissions properly ticked after edit same so I think I did it OK ...don't get it guys.

franpa
18 Dec 2011, 07:36
Can you take a s screenshot (Print screen, use Paste in MSPAINT) of the games installation folder? Upload it to Photobucket.

Chip
18 Dec 2011, 12:11
I did that and still no log file etc. I set permissions first to the folder Wormsarmageddon and still same files loaded.

You can go one step further and set the permissions to the drive that Worms Armageddon is installed on, but this will of course set the permissions to everything else installed there. I believe this is exactly what I had to do to get my art folder on my second hard drive to work. The directory for that folder was E:\CP Folder\Lab work\WBC3\Tiles Changing the permissions for the Tiles and WBC3 folder didn't seem to work, so I just set the permissions to the drive. Of course, this drive for me wasn't the C drive that Windows was installed on, so I didn't care that the whole drive was accessable.

However, I can't remember if I actually tried setting the permissions on the first folder -"CP Folder" even though at the time I started to think that the reason it wouldn't set was because the folder that my art folder was in didn't have the permissions set, so if the folder before it was not set to writable then the following folders would not be either, despite themselves being set.

At this point I just want to mention that I've only had Windows 7 for a few weeks, so I'm not experienced with the things it does or the way it works - the above solved my problem, so I left it at that. :)

StepS
18 Dec 2011, 12:49
You can go one step further and set the permissions to the drive that Worms Armageddon is installed on, but this will of course set the permissions to everything else installed there.

lol, this is hardcore.:eek: And takes hours. I think the better equivalent here would be turning off UAC. But still, I'm not sure that this will fix his problem, since he already got all the permissions.

westbob
19 Dec 2011, 01:16
Not sure what to do now but thanks all for your advice

Chip
21 Dec 2011, 16:20
I suppose you could install Worms Armageddon to "My documents", as this directory should always be writable unless you specify otherwise.

HeroHolger
22 Dec 2011, 17:20
Yes sorry I wasn't specific!. I gave all the files in my folder Team17/WormsArmageddon. Just reinstalled and program is now working OK but no doubt what happens will happen again. Files I gave still the same.....NO LOG FILE

i paly also with win7 and i have 2 Folder from W:a. 1 Runfilefolder which is under /program files/ and a 2nd folder

C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Worms Armageddon\

take a look in this folder. maybe you can find something there

Pac-Man
22 Dec 2011, 17:24
VirtualStore? What the heck is that? First I thought it's ThinApp stuff

franpa
22 Dec 2011, 19:32
VirtualStore is related to how Windows 7 and Vista handle legacy programs. I forget the finer details about it so I'm not gonna attempt to explain it further.

Pac-Man
22 Dec 2011, 19:33
Funnily I never found that happening to me. I just had a look about it in wikipee

StepS
23 Dec 2011, 10:36
Funnily I never found that happening to me

because your uac is off:rolleyes:

Pac-Man
23 Dec 2011, 11:27
Oh that was the safe mode feature. The "Virtual"Store can be misunderstood.

westbob
24 Dec 2011, 02:45
Frankly guys I have no idea what you'r talking about and how it might help my problem