PDA

View Full Version : MapGEN on .31

mrkaos
7 Dec 2010, 12:59
Is it compatible?

SgtFusion
7 Dec 2010, 21:11
What? Of course it is. W:A's accepted colour map format hasn't changed yet. As far as I know, MapGEN just makes maps for W:A. It doesn't interact with the program itself.

Plutonic
7 Dec 2010, 23:15
Hey there!
Yup, MapGEN itself (the stand alone app) doesnt interact with WA so will always be compatible.
If you mean the module that comes with it that alows you to run map gen while in WA's map editor, it should be compatible, it doesn't hook into any of WA's functions, only those provided by windows. If you do have any problems running it though give me a shout :)

loup
24 Feb 2011, 11:01
Hi, i know that post is a bit old but i downloaded mapgen and tryed to use it in worms (3.6.31) but dnt have any files in MAPgen to generate maps in game. how can i fix that or get the files ? and why when execute mapgen out of WA can't choose in settings "use wormkit module" ? thanks.

Loup

Plutonic
25 Feb 2011, 10:43
Hi there,
When you extract mapgen, there should be a folder called "wkMapGEN" with the module in it. If you put that in your WA directory and run wormkit you should get a folder called MapGen in the map select drop-down box that contains a png named after each the schemes you can generate.
Hope that helps!

loup
25 Feb 2011, 12:18
i had wkmapgen in wa directory but no png in Mapgen folder. now i got png files in that folder but when try to use it in WA got an error message "MapGEN failed to run". any clue for that ? by the way, how can i edit settings for these png files like the size of map, or can i make my own png command files to generate map ? thanks for your help =).

Loup.

loup
25 Feb 2011, 12:31
i hav resolve the "failed to run" problem by myself. gone in the BDR of windows to correct path of mapgen. now can generate map that works =). now can i add my own png like if i want generate big island in game ? or modify settings for png already there ? like modify the size of sheep race path. thanks and sorry if i bother you.

Plutonic
25 Feb 2011, 19:03
Hi!
Glad you worked it out!
To customise the maps generated in WA, run MapGEN and change the settings for the map type until your happy with the results, then click "Save Settings" in the top right. wkMapGEN will then use these settings, they will also be loaded when running MapGEN.

You have the click save settings for each type individually.

Hope that helps!

loup
25 Feb 2011, 22:31
yep it helps. a last thing. can't add own png command file ? like if i want generate big island. dnt have any png file to do that in game. thanks.

Chip
26 Feb 2011, 00:17
Speaking of Mapgen, here's something I was making for it, but never got it finished before I lost interest (One day I'll revisit this and finish but God knows when).

It's a remake of the old candy theme, but in a more W2/WA art style.
It's unfinished as I have not made all the objects I wanted, as such there is only 1 wall object and about 5 roof objects. But the floor was pretty much done with a total of 17 objects, although I probably will go back and touch up some of them as I have been doing that through out the project.

It's attached to this post and installation is simple. Find the Mapgen themes folder and within it you'll see something like 31 folders all numbered. Just chuck the C31 folder straight from the zip into that themes folder. Then rename C31 to what ever the next number a theme folder would be. Typically it should be 31 if you have the full theme pack for Mapgen and no other extra themes.

For generating maps with this theme, I recommend a decent amount of height room for the larger, colourful and nicer looking objects to appear.

Here's a quick extract from one of the maps to show you how it looks:
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8482/candyex.png

zookman
26 Feb 2011, 01:46
Wow nice work Chip...

that twister lolly takes me back!

Plutonic
26 Feb 2011, 12:14
yep it helps. a last thing. can't add own png command file ? like if i want generate big island. dnt have any png file to do that in game. thanks.

You mean so that you can set up multiple setting saves for a map type? You can't do this yet I'm afraid, though I will keep it in mind for next time I get some free time to work on it!

Chip, realy, realy nice!

loup
26 Feb 2011, 17:08
no plutonic i wasnt meaning multiple setting for a map type even if can be cool too. but i was meaning just add png who arent already there like to generate island or cavern. anyway i have fix it myself. =). And good work chip =).

Loup.

Plutonic
26 Feb 2011, 21:20
Ah, i think I get you. Theres no way of adding plugins for extra schemes i'm afraid, though both Island and cavern maps are already supported. Is there's a particular scheme you think it would be cool to have I'm open to suggestion!

loup
27 Feb 2011, 23:14
i was just askin for png file for island and cavern plutonic. coz dnt find any png for that in default config of mapgen with wkmapgen. was havin all png for all scheme u made except cavern and island png to generate them in game. and i was askin for that. for other scheme u can add hmm dnt knw ^^.

Chip
28 Feb 2011, 14:58
Yeah, when I first downloaded Mapgen it didn't come with the official map themes (like Art / Pirate / Hell / Cheese etc....) but after looking through the same thread where I was linked to Mapgen, there was also a link to the themes pack.

Perhaps Mapgen should be packaged with that themes pack if it's not already? (Assuming I read loup's post correctly and this was his original problem that he has now fixed.)

Plutonic
28 Feb 2011, 19:36
i was just askin for png file for island and cavern plutonic. coz dnt find any png for that in default config of mapgen with wkmapgen. was havin all png for all scheme u made except cavern and island png to generate them in game. and i was askin for that. for other scheme u can add hmm dnt knw ^^.

OH! hmmm, I'll go check wkMapGEN, maybe I never uploaded the newest version?

Yeah, when I first downloaded Mapgen it didn't come with the official map themes (like Art / Pirate / Hell / Cheese etc....) but after looking through the same thread where I was linked to Mapgen, there was also a link to the themes pack.

Perhaps Mapgen should be packaged with that themes pack if it's not already? (Assuming I read loup's post correctly and this was his original problem that he has now fixed.)

Yeah i didnt put the themes in because they are most of the size of the file and rarely change, seemed little reason for people who just wanted to upgrade from an older version to download them again. I think the latest version has them included anyway though.

Plutonic
28 Feb 2011, 19:53
Ok, new version uploaded:

MapGEN 0.4.9 - Only change here is that it included wkMapGen040 and the images scale when windows is set to huge font mode...

http://www.wormscc.co.uk/download/mapgen/MapGen049-Full.rar

wkMapGen - Just the updated wk module if you dont use large fonts, get this one.

http://www.wormscc.co.uk/download/mapgen/wkMapGen040.rar