PDA

View Full Version : The WA "red" color

Ivo
3 Aug 2010, 16:44
Hi all!

First of all, since this is only my 2nd post in this forum and the 1st in this section, I want to take this opportunity to thanks the developers the good work that they have had by supporting the game.

The subject that I want to speak is a very small detail and, of course, I know that are thousands issues most important than this. But, even the small causes must be defended and if there is an error, it should be pointed and not forgotten. The error is this "red" color of our favorite game. If you call hostingbuddy to host a game and you want to give "red" color to, for example, team 2, you type "!color 2 red". But the color that appears in game lobby and after in game, is very far from red. It is actually "salmon". I think this is an unquestionable fact and all agree with it. I tried "!color 2 salmon" but I received a message saying that this color don't exist. Well, important or a little detail, you all agree that like an error that it is, sooner or later it should be corrected, by change the color to red or give the right name to the color. Thinking in myself now (not exactly because I already talked with a lot of wormers who had the same wish), because I'm a color red fan, the ideal would be change that salmon to red, or maintaining the current salmon and adding the red color to be available as a team color.

I just wanted to call some attention to this fact and, I'll be glad that the developers in the future, would take this in consideration, even if not in a near future.

Cheers ;)

Muzer
3 Aug 2010, 16:51
However, the red colour can be changed to something that wouldn't be described as "salmon", if you have a colour deficiency for example, or if you simply prefer the alternative set of colours. Red is used as a generic catch-all term for the same colour in these two sets, and any more that will come in the future.

Sure, now you could still argue that the alternative colour is still "salmon", but it is possible, no, probable, that in the future there will be yet more colour schemes where the red does not look like salmon.

And finally, HostingBuddy is used by many people who only speak rudimentary English. They probably do not know the word "salmon", or if they do, they wouldn't think to call a colour that.

And as for adding another colour, I doubt that's going to happen - the palette is crowded enough as it is. Maybe once WA switches to 32-bit colour, but certainly not now. And then you have the usability problems of people with colour deficiencies - can they tell the difference between the old red (salmon) and the new red?

Deadcode
13 Aug 2010, 04:20
Well, red is #FF8080 in both the standard and alternate color sets. In fact it's the only color that's the same in both.

The main reason I didn't change it is that the alternate set is designed for those (like me) who have Protanomalous color deficiency. And to my eyes, a more saturated red would look bad, and rather dark, in many of the sprites that include team colors. In particular it wouldn't have enough contrast against the #FF0000 red trim that some of those sprites have — in particular, the mouse cursor arrow.

In a future version of W:A (probably when we switch to 32-bit color) there will be much more flexibility in customizing the team colors.

Shroom!
18 Aug 2010, 20:20
The red in W:A is definitely not red. I'm Irish and have an Irish flag (Green, white, orange). People always ask if I'm Italian because the orange looks like red. The only time the Irish flag looks vaguely correct is if there are actual Italians in the room also :P

Muzer
19 Aug 2010, 12:44
I assume the problem is caused by WA's limited 256-colour palette.

bonz
19 Aug 2010, 12:47
The red in W:A is definitely not red. I'm Irish and have an Irish flag (Green, white, orange). People always ask if I'm Italian because the orange looks like red. The only time the Irish flag looks vaguely correct is if there are actual Italians in the room also :P
Irish, Italian,... Where's the difference?
Both start with an 'I' anyway.
;););)

raffie
19 Aug 2010, 19:21
Irish, Italian,... Where's the difference?
Both start with an 'I' anyway.
;););)

Too true, too true. BTW, how are things there down under nowadays, Bonz?

KRD
19 Aug 2010, 20:11
Mwahahah, nice one!

Greetings from Slovakia.

bonz
20 Aug 2010, 07:32
Too true, too true. BTW, how are things there down under nowadays, Bonz?
Not so nice, mate.
I dumped my boomerang in a billabong, trying to hunt a yabby in the arvo.

DrMelon
22 Aug 2010, 11:32
Not so nice, mate.
I dumped my boomerang in a billabong, trying to hunt a yabby in the arvo.

Things aren't Bonza for Bonz.

Rodent
8 Jan 2011, 22:47
Ye... red and blue on serbian flag looks crappy too :( I posted that on some other place in forum but people refused to reconsider changing that colors. I know that there is color limitations but it is better to use other type of red on the place where should be red instead of using brown, and using any other kind of blue that is similar to blue instead of crappy blue that's being used now.

Lei
8 Jan 2011, 23:22
^Man, atleast you guys have a WN flag... :{

franpa
11 Jan 2011, 07:15
Yeah we need a dark red colour that actually looks red, the salmon colour is the only thing I hate about the lighter colour scheme. Every other colour is fine/great.

Explorer
11 Jan 2011, 11:58
Yeah we need a dark red colour that actually looks red, the salmon colour is the only thing I hate about the lighter colour scheme. Every other colour is fine/great.

Are you talking about the team color?

I think it would be a good feature to customize team colors in WA 4.0. :)

Lex
11 Jan 2011, 13:15
Not necessary. You guys are insane.

Plasma
13 Jan 2011, 12:24
Are you talking about the team color?

I think it would be a good feature to customize team colors in WA 4.0. :)
Mmmm... being able to customise the team's colour itself is a bit overkill and would cause problems, but I would really like to see an option for a team's colour preference! As in, if I join a match, it would try default my team colour to yellow if that colour hadn't been used already.

Edit: whoops, my bad! I was thinking of an individual team's colour, not changing the default team colours.

franpa
13 Jan 2011, 17:29
editing team colours would be aww yeah. Make your own set of 6 colours to be used regardless of you being host or not (Only you will see the colour scheme you chose)

Explorer
15 Jan 2011, 03:10
Mmmm... being able to customise the team's colour itself is a bit overkill and would cause problems, but I would really like to see an option for a team's colour preference! As in, if I join a match, it would try default my team colour to yellow if that colour hadn't been used already.

Mmm...
I don't see any problems. My idea is to adjust the team colour at client side only. That is, what colour I change won't affect other people playing the game. This helps colourblind people or those who have similar problems.

(Also, the team colour preference you said is unrelated to my idea, but IMO both could be implemented.)

Statistici
15 Jan 2011, 07:31
Mmm...
I don't see any problems. My idea is to adjust the team colour at client side only. That is, what colour I change won't affect other people playing the game. This helps colourblind people or those who have similar problems.

(Also, the team colour preference you said is unrelated to my idea, but IMO both could be implemented.)

You do understand this would create a huge massive communicational difficulty as the player1 would suddenly no longer be on the red team on everyone's screen? I mean you could no longer talk about teams in colours (there's still the team names tho, but I'm a nag when it comes to ease of use).

Why not give a client, for example, a set of different red colours, a set of different greens and a set of different blues to choose from to be used in game? Now THAT would be awesome AND practical.

GreeN
15 Jan 2011, 11:27
Nice idea ^

CyberShadow
15 Jan 2011, 11:42
Or you could lock the colour chooser into a range of luminosity/hue (to allow only selecting reddish colours).

Statistici
15 Jan 2011, 12:06
Or you could lock the colour chooser into a range of luminosity/hue (to allow only selecting reddish colours).

That's good, but the reddish-color range has to be limited to some extent. In lots of extents in fact (so that colors close to black/white couldn't be selected, but of course you understood this already :o).

franpa
17 Jan 2011, 13:15
You do understand this would create a huge massive communicational difficulty as the player1 would suddenly no longer be on the red team on everyone's screen? I mean you could no longer talk about teams in colours (there's still the team names tho, but I'm a nag when it comes to ease of use).

Why not give a client, for example, a set of different red colours, a set of different greens and a set of different blues to choose from to be used in game? Now THAT would be awesome AND practical.

Or just put a number to the left of each players name in the box on the right side of the chat box. (I believe it already lists the appropriate F key to block there chat)

Simple and notably quicker to type then a colour when talking about/to a specific player.

Edit: How about moving the Private Message hotkeys to the far right and in there original place, have them change your text colour to match that of the appropriate player? So if I press F1 it will change my text colour to match Player 1's colour. To me it will look like the colour I designated for Player 1 while to everyone else it will look like whatever colour they designated for Player 1 etc.

In the box that lists player nams to the right of the chat box, have on the left of each name the F Key shortcut to type in that players colour with the F Key shortcuts appropriately colour coded and on the right side of the names have the F Key shortcuts for personal messages listed in plain white or something.

Statistici
17 Jan 2011, 15:23
Or just put a number to the left of each players name in the box on the right side of the chat box. (I believe it already lists the appropriate F key to block there chat)

Simple and notably quicker to type then a colour when talking about/to a specific player.

Edit: How about moving the Private Message hotkeys to the far right and in there original place, have them change your text colour to match that of the appropriate player so if I press F1 it will change my text colour to match Player 1's colour. To me it will look like the colour I designated for Player 1 while to everyone else it will look like whatever colour they designated for Player 1 etc.

In the box that lists player nams to the right of the chat box, have on the left of each name the F Key shortcut to type in that players colour with the F Key shortcuts appropriately colour coded and on the right side of the names have the F Key shortcuts for personal messages listed in plain white or something.

Those are great ideas, but you gotta agree that given the colors to choose from is much easier for the brain, and is way easier to code ;)