Extremist2
2 Aug 2010, 23:43
They'd better be a lot less slippery and bouncy than W2:A's... :confused:

MtlAngelus
3 Aug 2010, 00:59
Unlikely, but hey, one can only hope.

aydin690
3 Aug 2010, 01:28
Really? Because i watched a couple of gameplay videos on youtube (never played w2: A) and everything seemed to be heavier and less bouncy, like grenades and the banana bomb.

BetongÅsna
3 Aug 2010, 01:36
Yeh, I was just thinking how laden everything looks. I guess it'll just be a matter of getting used to it.

MtlAngelus
3 Aug 2010, 03:39
Really? Because i watched a couple of gameplay videos on youtube (never played w2: A) and everything seemed to be heavier and less bouncy, like grenades and the banana bomb.

Well, for the most part. But try using the ninja rope and making precise moves... your worm will end up bouncing all over the place. That, or get stuck in places where it really shouldn't, only to start bouncing all over the place a second later. :p

SupSuper
4 Aug 2010, 14:24
Well, for the most part. But try using the ninja rope and making precise moves... your worm will end up bouncing all over the place. That, or get stuck in places where it really shouldn't, only to start bouncing all over the place a second later. :pThat's half the fun of the ninja rope. :p

Kel
4 Aug 2010, 14:37
Well, for the most part. But try using the ninja rope and making precise moves... your worm will end up bouncing all over the place. That, or get stuck in places where it really shouldn't, only to start bouncing all over the place a second later. :p

The Ninja Rope (in Worms Reloaded) is now pretty much the same as it was in the original Worms Armageddon on PC now. I'm sure there are a few beta testers who can confirm this as they worked with Grant on the tweaks.

Marc78
4 Aug 2010, 14:52
Yeh, I was just thinking how laden everything looks. I guess it'll just be a matter of getting used to it.

That is what I thought but I'm sure I can get used to it.

SilPho
4 Aug 2010, 15:35
The Ninja Rope (in Worms Reloaded) is now pretty much the same as it was in the original Worms Armageddon on PC now. I'm sure there are a few beta testers who can confirm this as they worked with Grant on the tweaks.

I'm sure that post will make a lot of WA players very happy. (Myself included)

Skeeter
4 Aug 2010, 16:43
Good news indeed as roping in shopper is my fav gamestyle.

hundreds
4 Aug 2010, 19:28

I agree with Kel. :)

Extremist2
4 Aug 2010, 22:38
Good to hear, although I'm personally more concerned with the level of worm/land friction, and bounce pattern of the throwing weapons.

DjNabs
5 Aug 2010, 00:16
i'm glad to hear about the rope.

i<3worms:)
5 Aug 2010, 10:16
Good to hear, although I'm personally more concerned with the level of worm/land friction, and bounce pattern of the throwing weapons.

Same here mate

6 Aug 2010, 10:41
Talking of physics, from the trailer,

First impact of same kind in WA would have sent the Worm flying into the Water,

0:15

:mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtf419b1iMI

Kel
6 Aug 2010, 10:52

The explosions from a weapon which wasn't in WA would have sent the worm flying should that weapon have been in the game?

skime
6 Aug 2010, 11:20

These are ferrets, and I think they have not so big explosion, I see its comparable with shotgun from W:A . True in past 2d titles i should have sent worm into water. However its new weapon and "behaviour" of it can be unknown to us YET. :)

BetongÅsna
6 Aug 2010, 13:04
How DARE you not make the game identical to WA in every way, Kel, how DARE you!

Thurbo
6 Aug 2010, 13:54
Because everybody who already owns WA wouldn't buy WR, so it's better to let people moan about the fact it's not identical to WA, because they still buy it.

Hm, I'm just wondering how overpowered ferrets were if they pushed worms as I<3worms:) recommended.

Grant
6 Aug 2010, 14:03
Too overpowered.

The Ferrets went through many alterations to get to where they are now.

In the early days they were too powerful; did too much damage, ran too quickly, too *much* push etc.

You've got to keep all gameplay elements in mind - for example if we did what you said and had more push on them - if the first Ferret hits a worm high in the air, the second and third ferrets would go on potentially doing serious damage to three worms. Now that would be too much.

They're finely tuned right now and that's how they'll remain. :)

Plasma
6 Aug 2010, 16:52
The explosions from a weapon which wasn't in WA would have sent the worm flying should that weapon have been in the game?
I think his point is - or at least should be - that the dust-explosion size of those ferrets is much too large in relation to the impact they deal.

Thurbo
6 Aug 2010, 17:23
If that was his point (I'm sure it wasn't) it was pure non-sense.

6 Aug 2010, 20:08
I think his point is - or at least should be - that the dust-explosion size of those ferrets is much too large in relation to the impact they deal.

No, that is not what I meant, I meant what I wrote and Grant's post probably makes some sense.

TriMat
7 Aug 2010, 01:29
The Ferrets... finely tuned right now and that's how they'll remain. :)Ferrets look very confusing if that's what I'm seeing around 0:15 where the worm on the downward left-sloping ground gets hit from the right side and falls straight down. In the video they cause a huge explosion that has no impact other than some damage? Why the explosion? That's not realistic at all. Heck, what kind of ninja-flying worms' arms don't even touch their bodies?

But seriously folks, Newton's 3rd law?

bonz
7 Aug 2010, 08:23
There are no Newton's laws in the Wormiverse.
There are only the laws of Andy D.!

SilPho
7 Aug 2010, 13:04
The explosion does look a little larger than I would expect from that kind of movement, but we should remember that the trailer may not be indicative of the final product.

There is a smaller explosion at 0:47 which would look right as far as worm displacement goes but might not accurately represent the amount of damage dealt by ferrets. Wait and see I guess.

Thurbo
7 Aug 2010, 13:08
Do you see all those dancing crates, graves and backgrounds? That's against Newton's first law. You didn't care to this point it seems :p

7 Aug 2010, 13:33
Ferrets look very confusing if that's what I'm seeing around 0:15 where the worm on the downward left-sloping ground gets hit from the right side and falls straight down. In the video they cause a huge explosion that has no impact other than some damage? Why the explosion? That's not realistic at all. Heck, what kind of ninja-flying worms' arms don't even touch their bodies?

An explosion of that size and the Worm does not even get shaken, it indicates to me Worms are not going to fly around as much as in WA and are going to perhaps also feel heavier??

Thurbo
7 Aug 2010, 14:32
So when do you get the "explosion" isn't supposed to be an "explosion" as such?

7 Aug 2010, 14:54
So when do you get the "explosion" isn't supposed to be an "explosion" as such?

I dont know but do you work for Team17?

Skeeter
7 Aug 2010, 15:55
Explosion should only show if there is a possibility for combustion. Ferrets do not combust iirc.

bonz
7 Aug 2010, 17:44
Ferrets do not combust iirc.
...nor can worms carry buffalos and concrete donkeys in their non-existant pockets. :rolleyes:

GTFO with real-life physics of Worms games! :mad:
The physics orientate on the ones that were introduced in 1995 by the original Worms.

SilPho
7 Aug 2010, 17:57
Let us not forgot about the other forms of combustible items in this series: pigeons, sheep, cows, moles, skunks and even elderly women have been known to be fairly unstable entities in the worming world.

Skeeter
7 Aug 2010, 18:06
Old women i can imagine could, if she held it in. :p

Tbh i wish they just made WA with 32 bit colour and a ai that could do shopper that alone would have got me to buy WA:2 tho maybe few more weapons like nukes from the original tank game that worms and similar games come from (forgot name but was about tanks and begins with S?)

bonz
7 Aug 2010, 20:49
was about tanks and begins with S
http://whicken.com/scorch/
http://www.scorch2000.com/
http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/

Skeeter
7 Aug 2010, 22:02
Yeah old scorchedearth on the amiga. Had some fab weapons like the nukes.

CakeDoer
8 Aug 2010, 23:49
I agree - the ferrets make too much smoke for such a small explosion. They look as powerful as a shotgun shell to me (someone already pointed that out), making them effectively as powerful as a Sheep if all three ferrets do damage. They're three, though, so they should have a summed explosion radius as big as a sheep's. That is, if Team17 are aiming for the ferrets to be as powerful and/or as rare as the sheep, they should have a slightly bigger explosion radius and less smoke coming out.

I'm sad that there won't be aqua sheeps, though, since there's terrain underwater now. :(

Joolies
9 Aug 2010, 00:19
I agree - the ferrets make too much smoke for such a small explosion. They look as powerful as a shotgun shell to me (someone already pointed that out), making them effectively as powerful as a Sheep if all three ferrets do damage. They're three, though, so they should have a summed explosion radius as big as a sheep's. That is, if Team17 are aiming for the ferrets to be as powerful and/or as rare as the sheep, they should have a slightly bigger explosion radius and less smoke coming out.

I'm sad that there won't be aqua sheeps, though, since there's terrain underwater now. :(

That IS a shame, Aqua Sheep are an important weapon in schemes like "Team 17"

DrMelon
9 Aug 2010, 11:33

Heh, maybe a possibility for aqua ferrets in that case then. Perhaps a platypus, since they dig in the mud at the bottom of rivers to hunt for (funnily enough) earthworms and grubs.

Moki
9 Aug 2010, 17:44
I don't see where usability of Aqua-ferret would be then.

Thurbo
9 Aug 2010, 19:01
Since ferrets DO destroy land there needs to be an explosion, it doesn't really matter if it's big or not, does it?

Also, no there's no underwater theme. You're probably mixing WR up with Worms: Battle Islands (http://www.team17.com/?page_id=21).

MtlAngelus
9 Aug 2010, 20:57
Since ferrets DO destroy land there needs to be an explosion, it doesn't really matter if it's big or not, does it?

Also, no there's no underwater theme. You're probably mixing WR up with Worms: Battle Islands (http://www.team17.com/?page_id=21).
No, they're referring to weapons that can travel underwater, like the Aquasheep in W:A. Back in W:A the terrain ended where the water started, so you could launch an Aquasheep, have it swim under the terrain, and either hit someone on the other side of the map or someone who was hiding in a tunnel close enough to the water that he could be damaged or sunk by destroying the terrain under him.

Thurbo
9 Aug 2010, 21:02
Ah!
Though underwater land makes aqua sheeps useless (thus it's not in) rather than it added something.

bonz
9 Aug 2010, 21:10
We need Aqua-Moles! :eek::eek::eek:

franpa
10 Aug 2010, 05:16
Ah!
Though underwater land makes aqua sheeps useless (thus it's not in) rather than it added something.

No, underwater land makes Aqua Sheep more fun and challenging to use. Instead of only traveling slower, it would travel slower and need to avoid terrain.

Joolies
10 Aug 2010, 06:58
No, underwater land makes Aqua Sheep more fun and challenging to use. Instead of only traveling slower, it would travel slower and need to avoid terrain.

It would be pretty hard to avoid solid terrain

MtlAngelus
10 Aug 2010, 07:07

Not the way it works here. Underwater terrain means that the bottom of the "island" is solid all the way down, so there are no gaps to navigate.

MRSAMPLE
10 Aug 2010, 07:30
Yup. It must be a limitation of the 3D engine, meaning that the terrain image/object cannot be cut dinamically by the water entity, so it's very unlikely we'll see any water sheeps in Reloaded, ever.
I'm saving my hopes for a HomingPidgeon in the future, though. :rolleyes:

Extremist2
10 Aug 2010, 07:42
^ I think it's the art style, actually. They just want to have clear water.

franpa
10 Aug 2010, 08:36
Not the way it works here. Underwater terrain means that the bottom of the "island" is solid all the way down, so there are no gaps to navigate.

If you have a narrow horizontal tunnel along the base of the map then sheep can fly through right? What I was getting at was that during the course of a game terrain gets destroyed etc. opening new avenues for an aqua sheep to strike from below as the water rises...

But from what I can see your saying that there are invisible borders around terrain that has sunk preventing objects from passing through gaps in sunk terrain?

Plasma
10 Aug 2010, 09:35
I don't see a problem with having an Aqua Sheep just... go around underwater terrain. Like, just ignore it. Like what it'd be for W:A if underwater terrain was actually visible.

bonz
10 Aug 2010, 09:48
You couldn't assault from underwater with an Aqua Sheep, because the terrain goes down underwater, all the way to the edge of your screen, in randomly generated maps.
You would need a LOT of Aqua Sheeps to blast through all that, to be able to reach any worm not standing near the edges of the island.
(A bit more options if you have split islands, or if you create a custom level which is suspended in the air.)

Plasma
10 Aug 2010, 10:04
Err... I meant in that other dimension. That "Z" one.

Or to simplify - what's wrong with just making it ignore underwater terrain?

bonz
10 Aug 2010, 11:23
This could get difficult. It's the same terrain.
Blast holes continue from above to underwater.

DrMelon
10 Aug 2010, 11:38

Perhaps a temporary terrain-avoiding ability? After a certain time under the ground under water it could explode?

On a related note, a scuba-gear/aqualung utility could be cool. Dig into the terrain under water and survive down there. An interesting tactic. Perhaps have the worms linked to a stationary air-tank (placed like a sentry gun), so that
1. They can only move so far from it.
2. It can be a prime target for enemies.
This would encourage players to build the air tank in a safer spot (perhaps using girders to reinforce the area) before tunneling underground - having the air tank destroyed could cause all underwater worms to die instantly.

Thurbo
10 Aug 2010, 15:39
Err... I meant in that other dimension. That "Z" one.

Then you'll find no sympathy and meet with general approval. It's like the ferrets issue:
Huge explosions but weapon doesn't push: Illogic, people come here to complain.
Sheep flying through terrain: Illogic, people come here to complain.

franpa
10 Aug 2010, 18:23

Exactly? so what happens above water can in fact create new ways to assault from underneath once water starts rising and covering these holes (unless water fills these holes with dirt magically). That's what I'm getting at here.

Plasma
10 Aug 2010, 18:35
Huge explosions but weapon doesn't push: Illogic, people come here to complain.
It's not really that it has a huge explosion but little push, but that it has a huge dust cloud that's completely disproportionate to any other effect of the explosion - the worm barely moves, it does little damage, and the crater left is several times smaller than the explosion animation/dust cloud.
It'd be like if every time you shot with the shotgun, it made the bazooka's explosion animation.

Sheep flying through terrain: Illogic, people come here to complain.
Good point.

Exactly? so what happens above water can in fact create new ways to assault from underneath once water starts rising and covering these holes (unless water fills these holes with dirt magically). That's what I'm getting at here.
But then that would only make it useful on custom maps (I presume) and post-Sudden Death.

bonz
10 Aug 2010, 19:03
How exactly do you imagine to get your aqua sheep down there if the terrain is one big block of soil?
Nicely ask your enemies to spend several turns digging down and creating an underground network of blast holes which reach all the way through the water down to the edge of the screen?

The Aqua Sheep was only useful because you always had a complete soil-free underwater tunnel right from the start, which even got bigger and bigger during sudden death.
This is not the case anymore in WR, except on user maps which hang in the air.
Thus, an Aqua Sheep would be used as a regular Super Sheep in almost all cases.

Thurbo
10 Aug 2010, 19:28
What franpa actually says is it might be possible during the battle there have been holes created ashore, then Sudden Death kicks in and you can use the aqua sheep under water (where the land was before).

The snag is, as Plasma pointed out, such a situation is very unlikely to happen, not really worth for Team17 to include an aqua sheep.

franpa
11 Aug 2010, 06:03
The snag is, as Plasma pointed out, such a situation is very unlikely to happen, not really worth for Team17 to include an aqua sheep.
Bingo, a valid argument against my suggestion.

But if you think about it, won't a aqua sheep be useful for most cavern schemes (T17 for instance involves 2 horizontal channels the sheep could use when these channels have been submerged)?

MasacruAlex
16 Aug 2010, 23:58
As long as the banana bounces like it touched cold water XD I'm gonna be loving it. Either way is gonna be fine with me :) Well either way will be fine.

zep57
18 Aug 2010, 17:19
for me the physik are very important for the rope ... i am roper pro now hardcore gamer of worms armageddon and if the rope will not have was fun wormnet1 will be absents today sorry for my english