PDA

View Full Version : option for terrain to not disapear under water

b1llygo4t
6 Aug 2009, 01:35
would that be hard to add? under water obstacles for homing missiles and aqua sheep!

CyberShadow
6 Aug 2009, 02:29
Yep, it's pretty non-trivial.

franpa
6 Aug 2009, 05:56
Would you then make the water tranparent or something? else pointless using weapons in water :/

b1llygo4t
6 Aug 2009, 08:42
too bad 7 8 9

robowurmz
6 Aug 2009, 09:13
Yep, It's non-trivial, he said.
This means that it is hard to do.

For your clarity, gentlemen.

CyberShadow
6 Aug 2009, 14:05
Would you then make the water tranparent or something? else pointless using weapons in water :/
I don't understand this question. You mean the waves? Plopped weapons are already displayed under-water, as well as homing missiles/aqua sheep/etc.

bonz
6 Aug 2009, 14:25
I don't understand this question. You mean the waves? Plopped weapons are already displayed under-water, as well as homing missiles/aqua sheep/etc.
I could be wrong, but IIRC, the plopped weapons don't have fully 360°-rotated sprites though.
Only the submarine weapons do.

b1llygo4t
6 Aug 2009, 14:26
worms and graves as well. review the water color changer sir cybershadow included with WK to see how things look with different "filters(?)" applied to various gfx. flying ghost plops are funny

franpa
6 Aug 2009, 16:20

the 2 posts above you made it clear I had misunderstood.

MihaiS_v2
6 Aug 2009, 17:37
And we could have worms losing hit points while under water!! @_@

Edit: because of lack of oxygen and stuff.

b1llygo4t
7 Aug 2009, 09:55
i wasnt talking about having worms walk under water or anything. just having the map not disappear during water rising so it still has to be navigated by aqua sheep or homing missiles. worms and weapons would plop like normal

MihaiS_v2
7 Aug 2009, 10:49
i wasnt talking about having worms walk under water or anything.

I know, I was. I'd like to see worms with diving helmets.

franpa
7 Aug 2009, 11:03
could just have worms that drown stay on the map under water losing a set amount of health between turns. such worms are removed from the players team turn order. thus making a temporary barrier under water (cause the worm dies when it runs out of health allowing passage if the worm blocks a narrow part)

b1llygo4t
7 Aug 2009, 12:08
i still want little animated fish that rip the worms apart when they plop. they would get more active the closer the worms where to the water, and crowd around them.

MihaiS_v2
7 Aug 2009, 12:35
¡Ay caramba, hombre! Piraña?!

b1llygo4t
7 Aug 2009, 12:58
machine gun toting sharks would be cool 2

franpa
7 Aug 2009, 13:35
nono, Sharks with fricken lazer beams attached to there head are the coolest!

bonz
7 Aug 2009, 14:14
¡Ay caramba, hombre! Piraña?!
I want the piranha, sea monster and sea mine from Worms Blast!
And the weather effects too!

KRD
8 Aug 2009, 20:52
The problem I see with the initial idea is that random maps, the way the are currently, start above water. So once the water started rising without the terrain disappearing around wave-height, you'd see the bottom of the map as a straight line, cut off in a completely unnatural way. This, for aesthetic as well as gameplay reasons, is ew.

The newer 2D games in the series that already have this feature deal with it by simply sacrificing the bottom section of each map to being submerged from the beginning of the round. If this was implemented in the same way in WA, we a) wouldn't be able to fly anything underwater to the other side of the terrain and b) would end up having to redesign all the random map shapes, because otherwise most of them would become unusable or at least significantly less interesting.

While I've made it clear in the past that this was possibly my favourite feature from the new Worms games, I'd only be interested in actually seeing it implemented if it was done optimally; thought out and implemented in a way that doesn't break anything.

GreeN
8 Aug 2009, 23:12
you'd see the bottom of the map as a straight line

A strong, translucent to opaque gradient could add a nice feel of depth to the water and maybe a solution to that consequence.

franpa
9 Aug 2009, 06:29
A strong, translucent to opaque gradient could add a nice feel of depth to the water and maybe a solution to that consequence.
And if the water rises, you still get to see the straight edged bottom in the more translucent water.

An Idea to counter it would be to have random arcs in the base of the land that would normally be flat like in the attached picture except maybe no where near that extreme :P

Have the generator generate a map as is, then scan the bottom of the generated map and add minor arches where the bottom of the map would be flat.

GreeN
9 Aug 2009, 11:46
Oops, I missed the point

Here's a revised (And brilliant) idea;

Simply allow for the water to submerge terrain without it disappearing and allow the map generator to continue to create terrain borders under the map. You effectively still get unnatural straight lines, but they would be finished, matching, underlying borders on all generated maps. The map would logically be placed with the water in its normal position, disregarding the 'added' terrain. This way, you could even start with certain terrain objects starting underwater and produce quite a nice looking effect

Gnork
10 Aug 2009, 10:35
how about instead of water rising the camera should move down, shifting the whole map up towards the center. the water line would still be at the same spot as it is now on every map (thus preventing to show the ugly straight bottom on all current maps), but up to the bottom half of the screen would be water if a sheep would decide to dive deeper than currently possible. perhaps maps could have a default waterline saved in the png chunk: current maps all have a default value of 0 where newer maps could have a value of, say -500, telling wa that the particular map goes 500 pix deep into the water. so when the map+waterline gets shifted the underwater area appears instead of just plain water with fishy fishy trying to eat dead worms :p

robowurmz
10 Aug 2009, 14:51
nono, sharks with fricken lazer beams attached to there head are the coolest!

what about giant nuclear space whales hmm

Roboslob
11 Aug 2009, 18:14
The giant nuclear space whales are to busy making huge probes that mess with the earth, untill they recieve a response from other whales.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/2/2a/Whale_Probe.jpg/600px-Whale_Probe.jpg