PDA

View Full Version : Downloadable Version

MCollier
30 Jul 2009, 02:41
Any plans for a downloadable version, I've come to find I spend alot of time with my netbook now a days as opposed to my desktop, beacause there is no cd drive in a netbook to keep the disc in to pass the cd check to play is there any plans of a downloadable copy so that the cd wont be needed?

CyberShadow
30 Jul 2009, 05:48
There is no downloadable version at the moment that works with the latest Beta updates. However, you can create an image of your game CD on your desktop computer, and use the image on your netbook. See http://worms2d.info/NoCD.

BeefEater
30 Jul 2009, 16:47
GOG.com would be a great platform for that. Games are distributed as-is without DRM or other things that might come in the way of manually installing updates. Besides, GOG just rocks in general :cool:

MCollier
30 Jul 2009, 19:10
thx for the reply, that works wonderfully

Muzer
31 Jul 2009, 00:01
GOG.com would be a great platform for that. Games are distributed as-is without DRM or other things that might come in the way of manually installing updates. Besides, GOG just rocks in general :cool:
Not really, unless they supply a CD image, because the exe would still be replaced by the updates and the CD check would fail. There would be a lag, and it's likely GOG wouldn't bother with some of the updates, judging by the (relative) speed at which they are released.

Explorer
31 Jul 2009, 14:18
GOG.com would be a great platform for that.

Team17 have never released any game to GOG.
This post looks like an advertisement. (at least I think so)

Plasma
1 Aug 2009, 00:57
This post looks like an advertisement. (at least I think so)
Not... really. The guy just really likes GoG!

BeefEater
5 Aug 2009, 11:30
Yeah, who wouldn't?
Muzer, GOG team remove DRM themselves with the help of the developers. Why couldn't they just remove the CD check?

robowurmz
5 Aug 2009, 12:13
Once you remove the DRM, the pirates will be able to make copies of the game really easily, that will work with the updates.

Since the updates are really the only sort of way we can stop pirates from getting the full benefit of the game (for example, the newest pirated version is still one version behind the latest - also meaning they can't use the excellent WormKit software and its great modules [such as rubberworm]), the problem arises that pirating of W:A will really take off. It would only require one pirate to buy the game from GOG, then seed it. After that, it'd spread like wildfire.

b1llygo4t
5 Aug 2009, 14:01
i dont think the update did much to defer pirates. the idiot ones just play with .28, the smart ones came to this forum. thats one big elephant....

robowurmz
5 Aug 2009, 14:10
If you install .29 on a pirated version, it no longer works.

b1llygo4t
5 Aug 2009, 14:14
it works fine, it just asks for the disc:rolleyes:

robowurmz
5 Aug 2009, 16:02
it works fine, it just asks for the disc:rolleyes:

I give up. There's no point in trying to explain to you that the CD Check is PART OF THE DRM.

franpa
5 Aug 2009, 17:13
There is no CD check in W:A since like for ages o_o. it is just hard coded to look there for files not installed to the hard drive.

b1llygo4t
6 Aug 2009, 00:52
robowurmz - the whole point of the no disc crack is to play without the disc right? please review this thread and a dozen like it. something doesnt have to be cracked to be pirated.

Explorer
6 Aug 2009, 14:12
Yes. And I don't think this should be discussed further.
(Moderators, please lock this thread.)

thomasp
6 Aug 2009, 14:15
Yes. And I don't think this should be discussed further.
(Moderators, please lock this thread.)

Good idea, especially given how anti-piracy we are here.

*Thread closed because Explorer said so*