PDA

View Full Version : Custom sound banks in multiplayer

Low543
28 Jul 2009, 13:49
If i use a custom sound bank in a multiplayer game, will they hear the custom sounds?

Melon
28 Jul 2009, 15:15
No. Only if the other player has the same soundbank will they hear it. The soundbanks aren't transferred to other players.

I presume you're talking about online multiplayer and not hotseat.

Low543
4 Aug 2009, 09:20
What willl they hear then? English?

franpa
4 Aug 2009, 09:23
The default one for there language/region.

bonz
6 Aug 2009, 14:32
If i use a custom sound bank in a multiplayer game, will they hear the custom sounds?
Only if the other player has the same soundbank in the exact same folder than you have (and vice versa)...
What willl they hear then? English?
...otherwise both of you will hear the default language of each other.
Default is either the language of the Windows regional settings or the one you can choose to override in the language selector in the options menu, introduced in one of the beta updates.

MihaiS_v2
6 Aug 2009, 17:50

Wait for v4.

Gnork
11 Aug 2009, 11:44
Wait for v4.

How will this be fixed then? :P Another download bar for speech banks next to the download bar for the map? 0o, some speech banks are several Mb's, I can see the slow progress % already for those people with poor lines :/ hmm, I guess they've thought of something else...

b1llygo4t
11 Aug 2009, 11:47
braille (_!_)

franpa
11 Aug 2009, 11:47
Custom Soundbanks are not required for proper game operation and can be made optional downloads. V4.0 will have an all new interface so any gui related problems shouldn't be present.

yakuza
11 Aug 2009, 13:41
How will this be fixed then? :P Another download bar for speech banks next to the download bar for the map? 0o, some speech banks are several Mb's, I can see the slow progress % already for those people with poor lines :/ hmm, I guess they've thought of something else...

yeah man, I wonder why they invented Diesel gasoline, after all, those World War II cars cannot use it.

Seriously, stop caring about people with bad lines, they're a minority no one should give a duck about.

bonz
12 Aug 2009, 14:00
How will this be fixed then?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg

Plus, I'd guess that someone will be clever enough to add an option to disable optional downloads at all, if it's still to large for low bandwidths.

raffie
12 Aug 2009, 14:04
Exchangeability is a requirement for me to bother with custom soundbanks, and it would be fun i think, though ppl could really mess up what u get through your speakers ;)

CyberShadow
12 Aug 2009, 14:05
Actually we thought of downloading soundbanks in the background, even when the game has started. (Samples would be sorted by their frequency of being played in-game.)

franpa
12 Aug 2009, 14:29
If it wasn't made optional it would probably cripple dial-up users, adding a 10 second delay at the start/end of there turns.

yakuza
12 Aug 2009, 14:36
If it wasn't made optional it would probably cripple dial-up users, adding a 10 second delay at the start/end of there turns.

oh snap deja vu

CyberShadow
12 Aug 2009, 14:44
Of course it'll be optional...

GreeN
12 Aug 2009, 14:53
Although, will it be optional on both ends? If you're using a rather large sound bank, you may not want to wait for others to wait while downloading

franpa
12 Aug 2009, 15:02
What ?

GreeN
12 Aug 2009, 16:29
I was referring directly to your last statement, Franpa; Backing it up inderectly. Doesn't happen very often, so just pretend that you understand!

franpa
12 Aug 2009, 17:39
Yes, if it was optional for everyone, wouldn't that require everyone to be connected to each other and not through the host? what if the host doesn't accept the sound banks? no one else could then download them from the user that does have them.

MihaiS_v2
14 Aug 2009, 12:57
what if the host doesn't accept the sound banks?

The host doesn't necessarily have to. Remember that there will be a centralized server that will handle the connections (so the host can't kick in-game whomever he likes).

franpa
14 Aug 2009, 13:39
Since when will a centralized server be introduced? Any mention of that has placed it far into the future.

MihaiS_v2
14 Aug 2009, 13:51
Anyway, downloading sound-banks the same way you download the map from a host is useless, unless they're very small.

If the costs are not too hight, the best solution would be to have the map and current sound-bank of each player uploaded to a server, and once the upload is complete, the rest of the players can download the resources at high speed. Media exchange server @_@

robowurmz
14 Aug 2009, 14:17
The word compression springs to mind.
Also the letters "tar" and "gz". Possibly "bzip".

franpa
14 Aug 2009, 15:23
If the costs are not too hight, the best solution would be to have the map and current sound-bank of each player uploaded to a server, and once the upload is complete, the rest of the players can download the resources at high speed. Media exchange server @_@
Considering the amount Team17 have already spent on the game in the past 9 years or so ($0), I doubt they would spend money on the game now.

Gnork
14 Aug 2009, 15:59
The word compression springs to mind.
Also the letters "tar" and "gz". Possibly "bzip".

"lha" ? :P

bonz
14 Aug 2009, 21:49
The OGG I referred to in my previous post does not mean "original game gangster" or something. :rolleyes:
http://forum.team17.co.uk/showpost.php?p=702000&postcount=11
It's for compressing audio and it's royalty free.
What ?
Basically he means that you can disable "sharing" of your custom speechbanks.
Perhaps GreenN really wants to use naughty stuff he could be ashamed of, hiding it behind his worries about file size and bandwidth. :D

GreeN
14 Aug 2009, 22:15
Gnork made me a very special soundbank

franpa
15 Aug 2009, 03:21
I see, stop yourself from sending your own speachbank as well as a way to not recieve from others.

GreeN
15 Aug 2009, 03:22
You can almost hear the cogs turning

franpa
15 Aug 2009, 03:25
You still wouldn't have to wait if it was set to transfer the speach bank after the map transfer completes as it would transfer during the game.

Gnork
15 Aug 2009, 06:46
Gnork made me a very special soundbank

o rly. where is it? :p

*votes for .ape format-> /me wants crystal clear lossless audio, go away low bandwidth people xD

franpa
15 Aug 2009, 07:04
Why not FLAC or WAV? what are the benefits of APE?

Gnork
15 Aug 2009, 10:44
Why not FLAC or WAV? what are the benefits of APE?

HUUUUUGE files whahahahah muhhuwhuhauhahahahahwawharharhar:p

CyberShadow
15 Aug 2009, 12:59
Hmm.
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Lossless_comparison#Comparison_Tab le
(APE==Monkey's Audio)

franpa
15 Aug 2009, 13:46
I couldn't say they'd be notably smaller then FLACs.

CyberShadow
15 Aug 2009, 14:14
Also, the FLAC reference implementation is under the widespread BSD license, while Monkey's Audio is under a weird custom license.

Gnork
15 Aug 2009, 14:44
I couldn't say they'd be notably smaller then FLACs.

i was just kidding lmfao - most ape files i have are very huge, like 60Mb per track...

raffie
15 Aug 2009, 15:30
OGG will be the most likely as it's free and uses lossy compression, so there's not so much competition there methinks.

Anyway, here's hoping it'll be in one of the next bèta patches because it's been quite a while since we had an update (.28 taht is) that really changed the way/ambience we play Worms.