PDA

View Full Version : >> HOWTO: Fix "Fatal error during gameserver connection" <<

Muzer
5 Jul 2009, 19:51
When the WormNET server went down for maintenance a few weeks ago, it has prevented some (all?) people from connecting since.

The explanation

This is because they changed their ISP. Now, a sensible game would have the DNS address (a DNS address is the human-readable name used to connect to a server, like google.com or forum.team17.com for instance) coded into it in case such a thing like this were to happen. But Team17 in the past weren't exactly the most sensible coders on the planet, and they decided to skip that and instead just code in the IP address directly (the same was originally true with Worms Armageddon but an update fixed it). So, when Team17 changed ISP, their IP address also changed, and the old one coded into the game became invalid.

Fortunately, this is very easy to fix. WormNET (from connecting up until you join a host) is comprised of two basic and standard communication protocols: http (the thing that is used for websites), and IRC (used for a lot of chat rooms). Because they used HTTP, they thought they would go the whole hog and use HTML in the bit before the channel list (at which point it is handed over to IRC, with the HTTP still dictating the game list) - that is, the login screen. So, the server list (before you actually connect) is also a HTML document, and inside that is the IP address we need to change.

The fix
Browse to your Worms World Party folder (by default C:\Team17\Worms World Party I believe). Browse into the graphics folder, then into the ServerLobby folder. Right-click on the file serverlist.htm, mouseover "open with", and select Notepad (or another plain text editor if you have a preference).

Find the line that says:
<a href="http://195.89.193.88/wwpnet/WelcomeLoginForm.php">
(the 11th one if you haven't modified it)

Change it so it says:
<a href="http://wormnet2.team17.com/wwpnet/WelcomeLoginForm.php">

Save, and exit

That's it!

More about the fix

The fix merely changes the IP address the game tries to connect to a DNS address - it IS actually implemented in the game but just unused!

More problems

If you still have problems after following the steps above, post in this thread, or start a new one if this one gets locked. But first, make sure it's not one of these issues:

Time and date. WormNET2, unlike WormNET1, uses authentication. This authentication is done by applying an algorithm to a string that the server gives the game and the current date. Therefore, if the date is wrong on your computer, the authentication will fail, and you will usually be left with a blank channel list. Just set the date and time to be correct for your local time zone, and also make sure that your time zone is set correctly in regional options. If the timezone is wrong or the time is out by a few hours, the symptom will be that it works at some times of day, but not others.

Downtime. The WormNET server does have the occasional bit of downtime. Check the rest of the forum (including the Worms Armageddon subforum - they are run off the same server) for announcements or other users having problems.

Firewall. Your firewall might be blocking the game. Manually add it as an exception, or disable in entirely if you can't figure it out.

If you've checked all of these and are still having problems, then it's time to start a new thread (or post in this one). Include the following information:
What you get in your web browser when you browse to wormnet2.team17.com (it should be a single line of text with the word WormNET2)
Go to start, click run (Vista and above don't click run since there isn't a run button), type cmd (Windows 2000 or above) or command (Windows 95/98/ME), hit enter. Type the following command:
telnet wormnet2.team17.com 6677
And tell us the output. (It should look something like this, though it'll be slightly different because it'll be the Windows telnet, I'm using the Linux one):
Trying 212.240.191.124...
Connected to wormnet2.team17.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
NOTICE AUTH :*** Looking up your hostname...
NOTICE AUTH :*** Found your hostname
PING :wormnet2.team17.com
ERROR :Closing Link: [unknown@255.255.255.255] (Ping timeout: 60 seconds)

Finally, post the contents of your serverlist.htm file (see above how to access this)

Any questions?

WWP User
15 Jul 2009, 00:49
When I visit "wormnet2.team17.com" and "212.240.191.124" it says:
WormNET2

When I do "telnet wormnet2.team17.com 6677" and "telnet 212.240.191.124 6677" it says:
NOTICE AUTH :*** Couldn't look up your hostname
And the server closes connection.

This is my ServerList.htm
<html><body>
<BR>
<BR>
<FONT Size=2 Colour=1> W E L C O M E TO W O R M N E T 2<BR>
<FONT Size=4 Colour=0> The home of World Worm Warfare!</FONT><BR>
<FONT Size=3 Colour=3> (C)Copyright 2001 Team17 Software Limited. All Rights Reserved.</FONT><BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<FONT Size=4 Colour=2 > Select your connection point:</FONT><BR><BR><BR>
<a href="http://212.240.191.124/wwpnet/WelcomeLoginForm.php">
<FONT Size=1 Colour=1 > United Kingdom (Wormnet2) <BR></FONT>
</a>
<FONT Size=4 Colour=3> Located at Team17's HQ in Yorkshire, UK.<BR><BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<FONT Size=3 Colour=3> Visit the Worms World Website: <Font Colour=0>WORMS.TEAM17.COM<BR>
<FONT Size=3 Colour=3> Visit the Worms World Party website: <Font Colour=0>WWP.TEAM17.COM<BR>
</body>
</html>

When I open "http://212.240.191.124/wwpnet/WelcomeLoginForm.php" in my web browser, it says:

Your version of WWP is out of date.

Please go to

http://wwp.team17.com/patch.html

to download the latest version.

I also notice that the url changes from
http://212.240.191.124/wwpnet/WelcomeLoginForm.php
to
http://wormnet2.team17.com/wwpweb/welcomeloginform.asp

When I change the ".asp" to ".html" I get this:
Welcome to WormNet2

You can use any username / password to log in
Your IP address is detected as: [Hidden by me]

Login

I thought it would work, but when I get ingame and press login. a login box comes out, I use any username and password then the box dissapears and I get a blank servers list.

My time is correct, my timezone is regional settings is correct too.
I need some help

Muzer
17 Jul 2009, 18:13
So which error message do you get (when the URL is at welcomeloginform.php) after trying to connect, and exacty when?

Anyway, it sounds to me like the WWP server can't pick up your hostname. This happens with a few ISPs, but most IRC servers don't disconnect as a result of it. Make sure you aren't trying to use a proxy server or anything, and try rebooting your router.

dalong
26 Jul 2009, 12:30

I tried. It does work, now.

Bytemaster
4 Aug 2009, 12:10
I replaced 195.89.193.88 with 212.240.191.124, then tried it again. This time it showed "Fatal error during gameserver connection" faster than before I had replaced the IP. Then I pinged "wormnet2.team17.com' and get the IP 212.240.191.124. then typed both "telnet wormnet2.team17.com 6677" and telnet "212.240.191.124 6677" and got :

Connection to host lost.

In the serverlist.htm I have the following :
<html><body>
<BR>
<BR>
<FONT Size=2 Colour=1> W E L C O M E TO W O R M N E T<BR>
<FONT Size=3 Colour=3> (C)Copyright 1998 Team17 Software Limited. All Rights Reserved.</FONT><BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<a href="http://212.240.191.124/wormageddonweb/welcomeloginform.asp">
<FONT Size=1 Colour=1 > United Kingdom (UK1)<BR></FONT>
</a>
<BR>
<BR>
<FONT Size=4 Colour=0> More servers coming soon !<BR><BR>
<FONT Size=3 Colour=3> Visit the Worms World Website: <Font Colour=0>WORMS.TEAM17.COM<BR>
<Font Colour=3> You can email us at <Font Colour=0>support@team17.com
</body>
</html>
So, what should I try. I am on XP, I reinstalled the game, restarted the computer, etc.

Muzer
4 Aug 2009, 15:08
Um, which game is this? You appear to have a Worms Armageddon serverlist.

pitoco63
4 Aug 2009, 22:37
Im using Worms Armageddon And it says that message..

Muzer
5 Aug 2009, 21:17
Install the latest update (3.6.29.0) from http://wa.team17.com

shortie85
13 Aug 2009, 18:27
Hi

I've spent a few days trying to play WWP online and failed. I've fully patched the game, and it plays offline fine. In game after double clicking the wormnet2 yorkshire link and typing a username/password I get a short piece of audio/music but the screen doesnt change and no servers/games etc appear.

I can web to wormnet2.team17.com and get 'wormNET2' as a result.

When I try telnet wormnet2.team17.com 6677 I get:

I've forwarded ports to my internal IP but don't know what else to try. I have restarted numerous times and reinstalled the game.

I checked high and low on the forums and dont think im missing anything.

I can get on W:A without problem.

FYI: I'm running Vista 32bit and behind an Orange livebox.

franpa
14 Aug 2009, 12:12
Checked Windows Firewall etc.?

shortie85
14 Aug 2009, 18:14
yes, WWP is allowed through the Windows Firewall. I don't see how WA can work and WWP can't

debelgarat
15 Aug 2009, 17:06
I'have the same message from team 17 server:

Fatale error during game server connection, disconnecting
I use PlayOnLinux with my Official CD from Sold Out Worms World Party [Team 17 Shop]
NOTICE AUTH :*** Looking up your hostname ...
NOTICE AUTH :*** Found your hostname
ERROR :Closing Link: [unknown@255.255.255.255] <Ping timeout: 60 seconds
my actuel ServerList.htm contain

<a href="http://212.240.191.124/wwpnet/WelcomeLoginForm.php">

i'have no firewal rules running in this moment (and it's not goog... annyway) it's still don't work
anyone have a idea

-Shut Up-
18 Aug 2009, 04:57
Install the latest update (3.6.29.0) from http://wa.team17.com

I tried installing the patch but when it's done, it's asking me to have the cd and I don't have it anymore...

franpa
19 Aug 2009, 13:49
Then spend some $$$ and get a CD. No support is given to those that don't have a disc.

shortie85
22 Aug 2009, 16:28
Hi

I've spent a few days trying to play WWP online and failed. I've fully patched the game, and it plays offline fine. In game after double clicking the wormnet2 yorkshire link and typing a username/password I get a short piece of audio/music but the screen doesnt change and no servers/games etc appear.

I can web to wormnet2.team17.com and get 'wormNET2' as a result.

When I try telnet wormnet2.team17.com 6677 I get:

I've forwarded ports to my internal IP but don't know what else to try. I have restarted numerous times and reinstalled the game.

I checked high and low on the forums and dont think im missing anything.

I can get on W:A without problem.

FYI: I'm running Vista 32bit and behind an Orange livebox.

Nobody got anything else for me to try? I suspect it's something to do with telnet not being able to detect my hostname.

Windows firewall is open, router ports forwarded, game updated, serverlist address changed. Im out of ideas!

diego gr
14 Dec 2009, 21:34
The solution described on the first post did the job alright. Thank you!

Muzer
15 Dec 2009, 21:17
Nobody got anything else for me to try? I suspect it's something to do with telnet not being able to detect my hostname.

Windows firewall is open, router ports forwarded, game updated, serverlist address changed. Im out of ideas!
Your symtoms point towards authentication failure. Have you made sure the time and date are correct, as well as your Time Zone?

MysteryMan
24 Apr 2010, 22:16
Has wormnet changed ips or something, I cant connect today :/

Face2Face
25 Apr 2010, 19:33
i have durning problem i change adress in serverlist this dont work :/ please help my... when wormnet active start again ?
Damiano

T2b^
4 May 2010, 14:37
i'm having too the same problem

Could'nt look up your host name
the same thing says when i connect into the server,i go to "#anything goes"
host, and no one can enter my game

my firewall is deactivated and i followed all the steps from the beggining of the thread

i think it's an authenticity problem although my time and date are right

=>so i can join and play other, but i can't host
any suggestions?

Muzer
4 May 2010, 18:14
If you can't host, that's a problem with your own setup, not with WormNet; start a new thread or look in existing ones. You'll probably need to do some router configuration.

Nightmare9
10 Sep 2011, 22:19
Is the WWP Server working any more? I can't seem to connect with either IP address, with or without the last patch.

Thanks

G[o]D
22 Jan 2012, 05:48
why does my wwp don't work? I can't even play it..It displays the cake while loading but it stops working..HELP!!!!

Muzer
24 Nov 2012, 17:27
Edited this thread with the DNS address of Wormnet2, as they have changed IP again.

Christiyan
24 Mar 2013, 21:08
message i get from telnet

ERROR :Closing Link: [unknown@255.255.255.255] (Connection Timed Out)

Connection to host lost.

My Time zone and time are both correct

My Server List
<html><body>
<BR>
<BR>
<FONT Size=2 Colour=1> W E L C O M E TO W O R M N E T 2<BR>
<FONT Size=3 Colour=3> (C)Copyright 2001 Team17 Software Limited. All Rights Reserved.</FONT><BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<FONT Size=1 Colour=1 > United Kingdom (Wormnet2) <BR></FONT>
</a>
<BR>
<BR>
<FONT Size=3 Colour=3> Visit the Worms World Party website: <Font Colour=0>WWP.TEAM17.COM<BR>
</body>
</html>

Did anyone figure this out yet?

StepS
25 Mar 2013, 14:58
ERROR :Closing Link: [unknown@255.255.255.255] (Connection Timed Out)

it is not an error. it's a notification that IRC didn't see an IRC-based connection from you. if it writes this "error", all is fine. but the other problem is that you can't just use an IRC client and check this, since the WWP WormNET is encrypted.
so if you want to investigate the problem, you have to get WireShark and sniff the traffic on wormnet2.team17.com:6677, and maybe also port 80. so you'll see more clearly where does it stop. in particular, if no channels load, it could mean that the "/LIST" command had failed to proceed.