PDA

View Full Version : My WA CD broke!!

armanmoo
26 Jun 2009, 20:19
I tried to run the game.. but everything went crazy, so I took out the CD and guess what.. I found a crack in the CD going from the middle halfway to the left radius! :(:(:(:(

Now I can't play my beloved favourite game, what the hell should I do:(

Malevol3nt
26 Jun 2009, 20:34
3 words:

CD, Toothpaste, Microwave.

GreeN
26 Jun 2009, 20:44
Don't be stupid, you can't use toothpaste

Seep
26 Jun 2009, 20:53
bad to hear, if you made iso image from cd you could be saved if not i dont know

Muzer
26 Jun 2009, 21:27
I tried to run the game.. but everything went crazy, so I took out the CD and guess what.. I found a crack in the CD going from the middle halfway to the left radius! :(:(:(:(

Now I can't play my beloved favourite game, what the hell should I do:(
Buy a new one. They are really cheap. This should teach you to make backups of your discs.

armanmoo
26 Jun 2009, 21:51
Buy a new one. They are really cheap. This should teach you to make backups of your discs.

Yeah, because I really will make backups from now on. It's exciting that the thought didn't hit me.

GreeN
26 Jun 2009, 22:05
Serious answer; If your disc is cracked, there really is nothing you can do but purchase the game again

Try putting that beauty into your pc again and I wouldn't be surprised if your next move is to look for a new disc drive

podzy
26 Jun 2009, 22:39
Don't be stupid, you can't use toothpaste

Lies...

TOOT PAST SAVED MY LEMMINGS <3

b1llygo4t
26 Jun 2009, 23:07
i used to work at a used video game and repair store, and we used a drill press with an angled buffing wheel and toothpaste to take scratches out of games, the cd sat on a spinning platform . charged 5 bucks a pop and 90% would work after the first buff.

any white gritty toothpaste will do. just use a disposable snot rag and whirl it in a circular motion.

i used to have an audio cd that was cracked but would play if i crammed another cd on top of it

microwaving the disc will not do anything but put on a cool color light show and possibly ruin your microwave and definitely the disc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iqVW9Izwg4

Muzer
27 Jun 2009, 09:40
i used to work at a used video game and repair store, and we used a drill press with an angled buffing wheel and toothpaste to take scratches out of games, the cd sat on a spinning platform . charged 5 bucks a pop and 90% would work after the first buff.
Scratches, not cracks.

robowurmz
27 Jun 2009, 09:51
Yeah, this is a crack in the disc, not a scratch.

Do not put the CD back in the drive, as the spinning will likely cause it to shatter, and as has been pointed out, will probably wreck your CD drive too.

Malevol3nt
27 Jun 2009, 10:43
And make sure its an aquafresh toothpaste, don't use any of that colgate crap. You should check the expiration date as well. If microwaving doesn't help, you could try steam-cooking the cd for about 15 minutes. It will fill out all the missing data with 1's, which is really what you want. You don't want a bunch of 0's on your CDs, that's bad. Then drip it in ice-cold water. This will finalize the process and make the CD solid as a rock.

You're welcome.

Malevol3nt
27 Jun 2009, 10:46

Do not put the CD back in the drive, as the spinning will likely cause it to shatter, and as has been pointed out, will probably wreck your CD drive too.

Wrong. And theres video to prove it. Try finding an episode of mythbusters where they spin broken cd's on ultra-high speeds. Even the fastest CD-Rom drive didn't shatter the CD. They had to modify a high-velocity grinder and put cd's onto it in order to prove that they can be shattered, but it really was an extremely fast velocity.

raffie
27 Jun 2009, 10:48
Try using a no-crack cd.

robowurmz
27 Jun 2009, 11:07
Wrong. And theres video to prove it. Try finding an episode of mythbusters where they spin broken cd's on ultra-high speeds. Even the fastest CD-Rom drive didn't shatter the CD. They had to modify a high-velocity grinder and put cd's onto it in order to prove that they can be shattered, but it really was an extremely fast velocity.

Oddly enough, a few days after watching that particular episode I had a CD shatter in my disc drive. This is why I'm giving out the warning.

franpa
27 Jun 2009, 11:20
Mythbusters are not reliable testers though, usually theres masive errors in there testing.

Malevol3nt
27 Jun 2009, 15:05
Well maybe they used a popular brand of CD's, not some unnamed brand. In any case games usually don't come on cheap CD's. But it's always a safe bet to make a .iso backup.

i<3worms:)
27 Jun 2009, 15:20
Well maybe they used a popular brand of CD's, not some unnamed brand. In any case games usually don't come on cheap CD's. But it's always a safe bet to make a .iso backup.

My worms world party CD is very scratchy now, what program shoud i use to make a backup on my computer for it? Nero?

Muzer
27 Jun 2009, 15:32
Did they constantly spin up and spin down the CDs like they would be in a drive? Did they make sure they were only being held by the hole in the middle? And did the motors vibrate like a real CD drive occasionally does (you can hear it sometimes)

b1llygo4t
27 Jun 2009, 22:12

i was responding to greens comment that toothpaste doesnt work

And make sure its an aquafresh toothpaste, don't use any of that colgate crap. You should check the expiration date as well. If microwaving doesn't help, you could try steam-cooking the cd for about 15 minutes. It will fill out all the missing data with 1's, which is really what you want. You don't want a bunch of 0's on your CDs, that's bad. Then drip it in ice-cold water. This will finalize the process and make the CD solid as a rock.

You're welcome. :P

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/895809/repair_cds_with_a_microwave/

Malevol3nt
27 Jun 2009, 22:20
My worms world party CD is very scratchy now, what program shoud i use to make a backup on my computer for it? Nero?

I'm sure nero has that option somewhere. I can't remember the last time I used it, my DVD drive is broke for some time now..

GreeN
27 Jun 2009, 22:41
i was responding to greens comment that toothpaste doesnt work

Just for the record; apparently my comedic attempts are too subtle

CyberShadow
27 Jun 2009, 23:06
CloneCD: http://worms2d.info/NoCD#CloneCD

i<3worms:)
27 Jun 2009, 23:56
CloneCD: http://worms2d.info/NoCD#CloneCD

Thanks for your help -)

Seep
28 Jun 2009, 18:13
This lite app will do the thing too http://www.lucersoft.com/files/free/LCISOCreator.zip

CyberShadow
28 Jun 2009, 21:04
It won't, Seep. WWP's copy protection requires the sub-data channel (or what's it called) which the ISO format does not contain.

Seep
28 Jun 2009, 22:57
Don't know about WWP but for wa seems to work with my cd.

CyberShadow
28 Jun 2009, 22:59
W:A dropped SafeDisc back in the Betas. Try running the pre-Beta versions with an ISO.

Seep
28 Jun 2009, 23:27
My WA v3.00 seems not to start load with cd or iso, just wondered how v3.00 looks.

CyberShadow
28 Jun 2009, 23:42
It's not compatible with modern operating systems.

Seep
28 Jun 2009, 23:52
It's not compatible with modern operating systems.

Yup, i can see the warning text on my CD.