PDA

View Full Version : Very slow gameplay

cornpimp
25 Jun 2009, 18:37
Ok so I thought after a few years of not playing, I'd tryout WA again. Everything installed fine and I installed all the latest patches. When I got in game, I was getting about 8-15 fps. I have no clue why.

My old system could play it at the same resolution (1680x1050) at full graphics settings with no problem (AMD FX-55, gforce 7600GT, 1 gig ram, windows xp 32bit). My new system struggles at the same resolution despite being a far more powerful comp (AMD Phenom II x3, Radeon 4870, 4 gigs ram, winxp32).

I tried limiting WA.exe to one core and running in compatibility mode nothing has helped. I'm not sure why a computer that can play crysis with ease has problems with WA.

CyberShadow
25 Jun 2009, 19:06
Does decreasing the detail level (by pressing Insert) increase performance?

b1llygo4t
25 Jun 2009, 19:21
try closing programs and ending un needed processes. bitcommet in particular brings my worms to a realistic speed for their species. i also experience massive lag if i have firefox windows open.

cornpimp
25 Jun 2009, 19:39
Does decreasing the detail level (by pressing Insert) increase performance?

It does increase performance to a more playable level. But what I'm wondering is why at full detail with my old pc, I was getting 30+ fps constantly and my new pc can't.

cornpimp
25 Jun 2009, 21:09
try closing programs and ending un needed processes. bitcommet in particular brings my worms to a realistic speed for their species. i also experience massive lag if i have firefox windows open.

I tried ending Firefox, Steam, Avast, Zonealarm, and every other non-essencial program I could find. It was down to 0% CPU usage before I started the game. Still had bad preformance :(

I did notice though that when I was pressing insert going though the detail settings, it runs fine until I get to the mode where it makes the background a smooth gradient, than the fps drop really kicks in big time. I'm not sure why, it doesn't seem like that difficult of a task.

I checked my graphics card settings and there are no custom settings for worms. I've run out of ideas.

CyberShadow
25 Jun 2009, 21:14
It does increase performance to a more playable level. But what I'm wondering is why at full detail with my old pc, I was getting 30+ fps constantly and my new pc can't.

Because hardware manufacturers don't really care about the performance of 10-year-old games.

The next Beta version will include a work-around for this performance problem.

cornpimp
25 Jun 2009, 21:47
Because hardware manufacturers don't really care about the performance of 10-year-old games.

The next Beta version will include a work-around for this performance problem.

Ok, well thanks for your help

b1llygo4t
26 Jun 2009, 09:45
dont give up yet tho.

another option is virtual machines. you can emulate legacy hardware and operating systems and run legacy software. an added bonus to this is being able to minimize worms(inside the virtual machine) also you allocate ram usage for the virtual machine so once you get wa running smoothly you can bog down your normal operating system a bit more.

if you look on the bottom of cybershadows post it says Worms Knowledge Base. im pretty sure there is documentation there for running wa in virtual machines

Muzer
26 Jun 2009, 12:27
You can minimise normally. And why would you want to bog down your current OS?

b1llygo4t
29 Jun 2009, 12:16
sry i meant the smaller windowed view. and by playing media and stuff on the host os.

skifly
9 Apr 2010, 17:25
I have the exact same problem.