PDA

View Full Version : WormNet oddities

Gunnm
21 Jun 2009, 03:16
Greetings,

I have several questions that I didnt see any direct answers to in the troubleshooting FAQ. They are about wormnet:

1) Do the different channels affect what you can/cant do in a game? Like Partytime vs RopeHaven?

2) Instant replays dont seem to work (like last kill shows no replay) and I know I have them turned on when I host, what gives?

3) Along the same line, when I set a timer for Sudden Death (say 20 minutes) nothing happens, we just keep playing like normal. Is this supposed to happen?

4) Are the custom maps more glitchy than the random generated ones? For example when I try say "Art Class", usually one of my friends gets dropped with an error (cant remember it atm, sorry).

5) Is there a way to tell how big (long) maps are? I really want some larger maps for us because there may be 4-6 of us playing a game at once. Even with only 2-3 worms a piece it can get over crowded.

Thanks for any help, I apprecaite it.

franpa
21 Jun 2009, 10:31
2) Instant replays dont seem to work (like last kill shows no replay) and I know I have them turned on when I host, what gives?
They don;t work in online games, as for the other questions I'll let someone else answer.

Muzer
21 Jun 2009, 11:21
Greetings,

I have several questions that I didnt see any direct answers to in the troubleshooting FAQ. They are about wormnet:

1) Do the different channels affect what you can/cant do in a game? Like Partytime vs RopeHaven?

3) Along the same line, when I set a timer for Sudden Death (say 20 minutes) nothing happens, we just keep playing like normal. Is this supposed to happen?

4) Are the custom maps more glitchy than the random generated ones? For example when I try say "Art Class", usually one of my friends gets dropped with an error (cant remember it atm, sorry).

5) Is there a way to tell how big (long) maps are? I really want some larger maps for us because there may be 4-6 of us playing a game at once. Even with only 2-3 worms a piece it can get over crowded.

Thanks for any help, I apprecaite it.
1) Well, historically yes, but nowadays the only real differences is that some disable rope-knocking, some disable blood, etc. Most games are held in #AnythingGoes (shortened down to #AG usually)
2) As franpa said, they don't work online because if you were to skip it, you would have to wait until everyone else finishes watching it, the same in reverse if you were to put it in slow motion.
3) Well, what sudden death effect have you got set? Make sure it isn't "Do nothing". Also, remember this is 20 minutes of gameplay, it doesn't count between-turn intermissions, neither does it count retreat time. Finally, once the timer reaches 0, it often gives people a few extra turns for reasons I haven't bothered to figure out.
4) I'm pretty sure that was fixed in 3.6.29.0. Make sure everyone has that update. Alternatively, your friend doesn't have that map (pirated game, weird version of the CD (some versions are known to have typos in one or two maps), etc). Finally, there could have been another bug that I haven't heard about or I forgot about.
5) Well, the game wasn't originally designed with maps larger than the default size in mind, so no. You should really just remember which of your maps are big, which are small, etc.

EDIT (number 5): Unless by "tell" you mean "tell the game", in which case, you have to make your own custom maps: see http://worms2d.info/Colour_map

X-Ray99
21 Jun 2009, 11:23
1: yes, the different channels have some differences in the game, for example, #AnythingGoes allows Blood Effect but #PartyTime doesn't, same applies to ropeknocks. I don't exactly know how this is in #RopersHeaven, but I think it allows ropeknock but doesn't allow blood. This is everything, someone correct me if I was wrong.

3: the timers work, but they count only the time that the players spend with moving and shooting. You can set the timer to be seen in the game settings.

4: this is a bug I heard about, I think intalling the latest update solves the problem.

5: rendomly generated maps cannot be bigger but maps can be made with other programs, unfortunately, I know few about mapmaking, so hopefully someone else will help you out with it.

EDIT: ups, Muzer answere while I was typing :) still useful :P

Hope I could help, have fun ;)

franpa
21 Jun 2009, 14:50
Finally, once the timer reaches 0, it often gives people a few extra turns for reasons I haven't bothered to figure out.
it finishes the current turn cycle before entering SD.

Plutonic
21 Jun 2009, 20:35
Sorry for the blatant advertising, but mapGEN will generate island maps of any size: www.wormscc.co.uk/download/mapGEN/mapgen031.rar , though they're not identical to the WA ones they are close, and it wont do caverns yet.

orbik
22 Jun 2009, 00:36
Greetings,

Note that the time displayed above the turn time display (grey text on black) shows total elapsed time, not round time.

Gunnm
22 Jun 2009, 04:30
Sweet. Thanks for the information everyone, quite helpful.

KRD
2 Jul 2009, 04:00
it finishes the current turn cycle before entering SD.

Heh, not that simple.