PDA

View Full Version : Snoopers speed

Seep
8 Jun 2009, 00:42
i compared snoopers chat and game listing speed.on my pc fastest were prosnooper and super snooper next camed solixa worms and wheat snooper and last was web snooper.

CyberShadow
8 Jun 2009, 02:02
Don't forget that the average time it takes for a snooper to "update" the game list, the more it stresses the WormNET server.

Seep
8 Jun 2009, 10:39
have been "late" to some games even with prosnooper but its not big problem

GreeN
8 Jun 2009, 13:09
Right click on game list -> Update

Seep
8 Jun 2009, 16:31
Right click on game list -> Update
yes GreeN it do that but its little annoying

CyberShadow
8 Jun 2009, 17:49
FWIW, I've increased WebSnoop's gamelist update frequency. I've also talked to Volcane about the current WormNET caching mechanism, and games will now appear in the gamelist within 2 seconds (previously it could be up to 10 seconds, I think).

Seep
8 Jun 2009, 18:25
maybe this thread was needed, im glad

i recompared web snooper and it was faster(gamelist update) than prosnooper.

gj cyber

raffie
9 Jun 2009, 22:12
FWIW, I've increased WebSnoop's gamelist update frequency. I've also talked to Volcane about the current WormNET caching mechanism, and games will now appear in the gamelist within 2 seconds (previously it could be up to 10 seconds, I think).

I'm guessing something went wrong here, since there are like 20-30 hosted games in AG.

b1llygo4t
9 Jun 2009, 22:41
i noticed a ridiculous number of unjoinable games as well

GreeN
10 Jun 2009, 01:07
....I'm not going to say it xD

CyberShadow
10 Jun 2009, 01:47
Are you sure that's not caused by the ProSnooper problem that it doesn't close games when they start?

Seep
10 Jun 2009, 16:35
i dont mind it, speed counts

u can use web snoop :-/

lookias
20 Jun 2009, 14:27
i dont mind it, speed counts

u can use web snoop :-/

hello, on wheat snooper the default speed of gamelist is 15 seconds, the userlist is updated every 3 seconds and the chat arrives immediately into the chatwindow.

well, you can change the update intervall of the userlist and gamelist.
setting the userlist time delay to zero is not dangerous because tws wont ask (send a who) the wormnet for the userslist until the last request is completed.
well thats the same case for hostlist but wormnet will reject these requests if they come to frequently. 1 second might be to short.

greetz lookias

CyberShadow
20 Jun 2009, 14:47
Why do you have an update interval for the user list? I hope you don't send a "WHO *" every 3 seconds?
You should just send a "WHO <nick>" every time a new person joins.

lookias
20 Jun 2009, 18:24
Why do you have an update interval for the user list? I hope you don't send a "WHO *" every 3 seconds?
You should just send a "WHO <nick>" every time a new person joins.

the main purpose of the update intervall is to provide a delay between the raw server commands and the treeview (the display components of the snooper). it all works asynchronly to avoid spam attacks and to reduce the cpu load that comes up when the list is sorted.

well, that lets the snooper appear a bit slow but in real it makes the computer less busy.

tws uses a mix from simple whos and the join part quit information, which comes automaticly, to get the user information. otherwise it wouldnt be possible to see users outside the channel you have joined. who <nick> is never send because the snooper gets this information from complete whos. the only frequent request from the snooper (in regard to the irc server) is a who.

greetz lookias

CyberShadow
20 Jun 2009, 19:00
1) Why do you need to determine users outside the current channel?
2) How often do you send a WHO command?

lookias
20 Jun 2009, 19:57
Why do you need to determine users outside the current channel? If you want to do it for a buddy list or whatever, use the IRC NOTIFY command.

How often do you send a WHO command?

i cant spend time for developing the wheat atm. even when there are more serious problems.
on some pcs the wheat crashes alot and on some it doesnt crash, im unsure about that and i can only say sorry for that kind of bugs.

atm i do programming stuff to earn money (hopefully more money soon :D ).

i recommend you cyber to try the wheat out, its a very nice tool and im proud about it.

greetz lookias

boobl
20 Jun 2009, 20:25
It would be a laugh if IRC client would get topic of the channel by sending simple "/list" command (with no filters), on some quakenet with its zillion channels Lol.
Why do you need that "who" command at all? Join message gives you a nickname, isnt that enough?

robowurmz
20 Jun 2009, 20:32
Sending a WHO command is spammy, and increases server load. Just use the information from the join stuff, like boobl says.

CyberShadow
20 Jun 2009, 20:36
There's a large difference between using "WHO <nickname>" (which will get you the user's flag/rank/version) and using "WHO" or "WHO *" (which will send that information for almost everyone on the server). W:A and our WormNET bots (Help, HostingBuddy, WebSnooper) use the former method, and so should other snoopers.

CyberShadow
20 Jun 2009, 23:01
You mean former right? Snoopers should use WHO <nickname>.
Indeed .