PDA

View Full Version : Terrain editor error

Shadowmoon
6 Jun 2009, 16:34
When using the terrains editor in WA which can import terrians and randomize terrains, I can't use it at all. It shows up as a black screen and then closes the game giving me an error message.

I am running the game on Windows Vista.

CyberShadow
6 Jun 2009, 16:46
What error message would that be?

Shadowmoon
6 Jun 2009, 17:07
Oh yes, the error log:

CyberShadow
6 Jun 2009, 18:10
Has it worked in the past?

Shadowmoon
6 Jun 2009, 19:28
Yesterday I installed the game on my temporary vista computer, and I didn't try the terrain editor until today.

CyberShadow
6 Jun 2009, 19:53
Try updating your video drivers.

Nereidum
7 Jun 2009, 03:46
I get the same error (or very close to it, anyway) when trying to enter the terrain editor when running the game on a Windows XP virtual machine in either VMware Fusion 2.0.4 or Parallels Desktop 4.0.3844.

It works fine in a Windows XP virtual machine using VirtualBox, though.

I've attached the error logs and crash dumps from the VMware and Parallels VMs, in case anything in there might help.

CyberShadow
7 Jun 2009, 11:18
Could you try lowering the graphics hardware acceleration level? In Windows XP, you can do it on the "Troubleshoot" tab of the "Advanced" dialog under "Display Properties".

Nereidum
7 Jun 2009, 13:00
Unfortunately, neither lowering the hardware acceleration level nor disabling write combining fixes the terrain editor problem in either VMware or Parallels.

Lowering hardware acceleration to the third setting, "Disable all DirectDraw and Direct3D accelerations," does fix the flicker problem that people have mentioned in VMware, though.

CyberShadow
7 Jun 2009, 13:27
Thanks, that's interesting.

This seems to be a recently common problem caused by a sudden change in the behavior of some Windows components. It will be addressed in the next Beta update, but I don't know of any workarounds for the moment.

I added it to the Troubleshooting FAQ: http://worms2d.info/Troubleshooting_FAQ#WA_crashes_when_I_open_try_to_ edit_a_map_.28only.29

MihaiS_v2
7 Jun 2009, 15:24
Ooo, I remember having a similar issue. Add SlowFrontendWorkaround_Off from the tweaks folder to the registry. Tell us if it solves the problem.

Nereidum
8 Jun 2009, 13:37
Ooo, I remember having a similar issue. Add SlowFrontendWorkaround_Off from the tweaks folder to the registry. Tell us if it solves the problem.

This didn't fix the problem for me, unfortunately.

CyberShadow
8 Jun 2009, 19:31
Try SlowFrontendWorkaround_On then. (Not a random guess; I recall there being a correspondence of this problem and the behavior changed by these flags)

Nereidum
9 Jun 2009, 04:48
Try SlowFrontendWorkaround_On then. (Not a random guess; I recall there being a correspondence of this problem and the behavior changed by these flags)

With that one enabled, I get a mostly-black screen instead of the main menu. I get the same behavior in both VMware and Parallels.

Here's a screenshot of what I get:

Muzer
9 Jun 2009, 11:18
With that one enabled, I get a mostly-black screen instead of the main menu. I get the same behavior in both VMware and Parallels.
Rather odd, that would point towards pallette-stealing.

Shadowmoon
9 Jun 2009, 11:24
Nereidum- thats the same as what I get, too.

b1llygo4t
20 Jun 2009, 02:49
thats the same screen i get on my vista sony vaio(with lame intel mobile graphics set)