PDA

View Full Version : Weird fall damage

Paulos
3 Jun 2009, 16:45
Hi,
we just played somehow weird game :) In (almost) last round (when I thought it will be last) I knocked down enemy worm with 1 hp. It couldn't survive the fall but it did... I attached the gamefile, it's from 26:13...

What do you think about it?

M.Penguin
3 Jun 2009, 17:24
did you have fall damage off? thats probably what happened :)

Paulos
3 Jun 2009, 17:32
no, no, no, fall damage surely wasn't off...

CyberShadow
3 Jun 2009, 23:49
Congratulations, it looks like you found a game bug (or rather, it found you - bad luck with that game). The worm didn't receive any fall damage, because it went directly from the "standing" state to the "falling" state, bypassing the "sliding" state usually present when performing rope knocking.

Paulos
4 Jun 2009, 17:54
Wow, nice explanation, and I'm glad I found a bug :) Of course, I'm not glad I lost game I almost won...

franpa
5 Jun 2009, 11:57
If you're interested in glitches, have a look at this replay I made.

EDIT: fixed attachment.

CyberShadow
5 Jun 2009, 12:04
Attachments aren't working at the moment.

franpa
5 Jun 2009, 13:03
Heres a mirror.

http://home.exetel.com.au/franpa/2009-06-05%2010.52.31%20[Online]%20@Franpa.WAgame

CyberShadow
5 Jun 2009, 13:19
Game Version: 3.5 Beta 2-3pre1
http://worms2d.info/Girdering_an_Occupied_Location

franpa
5 Jun 2009, 16:09
it is not possible to emulate a beta before 3.5 beta 1 right?

Paulos
6 Jun 2009, 08:35
in readme:
• Backwards compatibility with previous patches starting at 3.5 Beta 1

So, it's not possible :(

CyberShadow
6 Jun 2009, 08:44
Actually DC added some basic capability to play back 3.0 games (extracted from network logs).

Deadcode
16 Jun 2009, 03:35
The v3.0 emulation works online. For it to be enabled, at least one player has to be connecting to the game with WA.EXE v3.0. (Perhaps a version-changer hack would work; the version is -2, 0xFFFFFFFE.)

franpa
16 Jun 2009, 04:00
I don't think cheat engine can properly set -2 for version #. version 0x00 works though.

armanmoo
16 Jun 2009, 18:52
If you're interested in glitches, have a look at this replay I made.

EDIT: fixed attachment.

What the hell!

The team Awesome Sauce..

My nick in WA is: AwesomeSauce

hahahahaha

Deadcode
16 Jun 2009, 19:11
Hi,
we just played somehow weird game :) In (almost) last round (when I thought it will be last) I knocked down enemy worm with 1 hp. It couldn't survive the fall but it did... I attached the gamefile, it's from 26:13...

What do you think about it?I had a misunderstanding earlier. I was looking at the turn that ended right before 26:13. Please excuse my deletions — I figured it would be better not to clutter this thread.

The turn STARTING at 26:13 does indeed exhibit what appears to be a glitch. The worm named "Boody" with 1 HP gets rope-knocked and falls a great distance without getting hurt. However, there are other situations in which worms falls a great distance without getting fall damage, as long as they don't hit anything horizontally on the way down. This doesn't make a lot of sense, sure — but what it is about this rope-knock that makes it a glitch, whereas the other situations are accepted as standard W:A?

bonz
17 Jun 2009, 08:26
We finally need physically correct bounces (anti-aliased terrain instead of pixels?) and fall damage based on vectorized velocity, not that horizontal and vertical discrimination.

CyberShadow
17 Jun 2009, 09:36
The worm didn't go through a "sliding" phase in this case. It should be possible to fix this particular case by making worms pushed (rope-knocked) by other worms get fall damage regardless.

b1llygo4t
19 Jun 2009, 09:38
you Know, i have had experiences with rubber worm were i have knocked worms (or they get knocked) and attacked them before control is lost and they dont recieve any damage, but others do. example ill spam the hell out of everybody and some worms recieve no damage. i wish i had a replay to upload. iv also played 2 rubber games with no SD and had the game stop and go to pregame lobby between turns without desync

Konar6
19 Jun 2009, 11:47
game stop and go to pregame lobby between turns without desync

This is noted in the log as "Game Ends - Avoiding Crash", which explains why that happened pretty well.

pisto
19 Jun 2009, 18:05
does it happens with the latest rubberworm? I knew that it happened in early implementations of the blackhole, when a plopping passed through water without diving.

bloopy
26 Jun 2009, 11:53
what it is about this rope-knock that makes it a glitch, whereas the other situations are accepted as standard W:A?

I guess people are used to the tactics of attacking a worm so that it hits something on the way down and incurs fall damage. If the worm doesn't hit anything on the way down, it's blessed. :p

GreeN
26 Jun 2009, 18:42
but what it is about this rope-knock that makes it a glitch, whereas the other situations are accepted as standard W:A?

If it well understood and/or easily reproduced, it could (And probably will) be seen as a new tactical approach to certain maneuvers.

If it's unknown and happens when you least expect it, you've got some Class A whinge material :D

b1llygo4t
27 Jun 2009, 22:23
does it happens with the latest rubberworm? I knew that it happened in early implementations of the blackhole, when a plopping passed through water without diving.

if your talking to me then yeah im using .29 update and the most recent RW