PDA

View Full Version : Custom control config

MikeMHz
2 Jun 2009, 19:51
Hey... It seems like a really obvious option to have in a game, but neither Worms 2 nor Worms: Armageddon have the option to remap they keyboard controls.

I want to play worms on a game pad with my friends... from accross the room. If this isn't possible, I may aswell throw my brand new copy of the game in the bin because I won't play it.

Are there any files I can edit? I'm willing to go drastic measures.

CyberShadow
2 Jun 2009, 20:31
Playing with a joypad will only give you a disadvantage in online games, but if you insist there are 3rd-party solutions available. For example, here's my AutoHotKey script: http://dump.thecybershadow.net/d66cf5279054bf29ee02d8b51eb14e98/JoyWA.ahk

MikeMHz
2 Jun 2009, 22:09
I have no desire to play worms online competitively... it's always been a purely casual experience with RL friends.

How do I execute your script?

GreeN
2 Jun 2009, 23:07
Open the file with a text editor and all shall be explained

You will need to download Auto Hotkey to run the script, if you haven't already

bonz
4 Jun 2009, 07:16
http://www.autohotkey.com/download/

b1llygo4t
5 Jun 2009, 10:37
Playing with a joypad will only give you a disadvantage in online games, but if you insist there are 3rd-party solutions available. For example, here's my AutoHotKey script: http://dump.thecybershadow.net/d66cf5279054bf29ee02d8b51eb14e98/JoyWA.ahk

i greatly disagree with you, no offense. i play with an xbox controller. i learned how to play worms with a ps1 controller. i use the program xpadder and the wormkit module WKFRearranger. if you want more info respond in this thread. and i can walk you through setting it up. i suck at any game with a keyboard, and this is the only pc game i play. i couldnt play this game without a controller.

if anyone wants to call me a noob i call you out right back in a game.

GreeN
5 Jun 2009, 10:50
You should make a video, billy! I know I'd be interested in seeing a controller being used for roping or something

CyberShadow
5 Jun 2009, 11:01
How about a Hysteria game then? I'm curious how would you manage to teleport medium-to-large distances with any precision with a joystick.

You said that you don't play PC games on a keyboard at all. I've beaten several games with a PS-like USB gamepad, and while there most certainly are games where gamepads excel (hack'n'slashers mainly), I can't imagine gamepads being better for many other types of games, including W:A. The main problems are the small number of buttons (which becomes obvious when compared to W:A's F1..F12 weapon selection keys), and the way how much they stress your thumbs, while leaving the other four fingers mostly inactive (except for the occasional shoulder-button-pushing). I can't imagine how NES people could find it comfortable to hold down the "run" button with the joint of their thumb and tap the "jump" with the tip of the thumb in Super Mario Bros. Last time I tried setting up an emulator with "authentic" button mappings, I gave up after 10 minutes and remapped everything to something less likely to cause RSI.

That said, it would be nice to have built-in support for gamepads in a future version of W:A, for example allowing to cycle through weapons with the shoulder buttons, and having the currently selected weapon and the previous/next ones visible on the screen.

franpa
5 Jun 2009, 11:03
I can't imagine how NES people could find it comfortable to hold down the "run" button with the joint of their thumb and tap the "jump" with the tip of the thumb in Super Mario Bros.
Instead, use your pointer and middle fingers for pressing the A/B buttons :) also easy to do with the SNES pad as well. I can play pretty much just as good that way in comparison to the normal way.

CyberShadow
5 Jun 2009, 11:12
I think that holding my hand at that angle is even more likely to give me RSI...

b1llygo4t
5 Jun 2009, 11:18
if your thinking of including controller support in WA id be interested in helping.

i dont play hysteria, id probably have to make a new controller config, tho i could implement what is needed to play into my current config. as i said i use the wkfrearange bla bla bla. i only have 7 fkeys.

i should upload a video, i will upload a replay tho!http://www.filefactory.com/file/ag42360/n/2009-06-05_07_58_50_Online_xSQDxb1llygo4t_x9tninex_KBxBlea chxtl3_WAgame
it was my first game of the day, so dont be to judgmental, but you should get a basic idea. notice how i dont use the chute...

b1llygo4t
5 Jun 2009, 11:21
it easy for me to rock my thumb over 2 buttons, tho as i said, iv lways played with a game pad. im the blue player in that replay btw. i love fighting and fps games

franpa
5 Jun 2009, 11:34
rocking your thumb is key to playing pretty much any gaming console from the NES onwards -_-.

b1llygo4t
5 Jun 2009, 11:50
i recently "discovered" the finger roll (signing 2 space keys near each other) im interested, but i can tap so fast i dont know if i will bother

my Fkey set up is

;F0 (tilda)
Select Worm,Teleport,Freeze,Jet Pack,Low Gravity,Girder,Girder Starter-Pack,Fast Walk,Laser Sight,Invisibility
;F1 DROP AND WAITS
Mad Cow,Banana Bomb,Salvation Army,Priceless Ming Vase,Holy Hand-Grenade,Dynamite,Old Woman,Mine,Grenade,Bazooka,Cluster Bomb,Mortar,Petrol Bomb
;F2 DOUBLE CLICKS
Super Banana Bomb,Aqua Sheep,Super Sheep,Sheep Launcher,Sheep,Skunk,Patsy's Magic Bullet,Homing Pigeon,Homing Missile
;F3 CANT AFR
Shotgun,Handgun,Uzi,Minigun,Longbow,Flame Thrower,Fire Punch,Dragon Ball,Battle Axe,Baseball Bat,Prod
;F4 STRIKES!
Air Strike,Napalm Strike,Mail Strike,Mine Strike,Mole Squadron,French Sheep Strike,Mike's Carpet Bomb,MB Bomb,Concrete Donkey,Indian Nuclear Test,Armageddon,Earth Quake,Scales of Justice
;F5 TOOLS
BlowTorch,Pneumatic Drill,Mole Bomb
;F6 ROPING
Ninja Rope,Parachute,Bungee

my controller set up is

L trigger: pg up, F5
R trigger: pg up, F6
X button: pg up, space
A button: enter
B button: bkspace
Y button: pg up, tab, home, t, shift.
Right analog: mouse, press: left click
W button: pg up, F2
B button: pg up, F1
Start button: pg up, F3
Back button: pg up, F0
Left analog: up: pg up, down: pg down, right: right click, left: esc., press: F4
D pad: left: pg up, left. up: up, down: down, right: pg up, right

i dont bother with turbo tapping, i dont have enough buttons anyway

Muzer
5 Jun 2009, 16:29
I can't imagine how NES people could find it comfortable to hold down the "run" button with the joint of their thumb and tap the "jump" with the tip of the thumb in Super Mario Bros.
Wrong way around. You hold it with the tip and jump with the joint. Much more comfortable. This is what the NES controller looks like, remember B is the run button: http://img197.imageshack.us/i/nescontroller4ad.jpg/

CyberShadow
5 Jun 2009, 17:24
Oh, my bad, that was the SNES controller and I tried to set up a configuration authentic to Super Mario World. (Funny, how could have I confused that? I never played SMB on an emulator)

Etho.
5 Jun 2009, 18:00
i play with an xbox controller
Do you play with a xbox 360 controller or just a regular xbox controller? I always wanted a good worms AutoHotKey script for a xbox 360 controller. I tried editting CyberShadow's controller script before, but I was never able to get the controls working quite the way I wanted them to.

I use my controller when I play Super Mario World in ZSNES, and I find it works pretty good. In fact, most Super Mario World "Let's Play" rom hack players, such as ProtonJonSA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua6pbz3ROvQ), use controllers instead of the keyboard.

The main reason I want to play games with a controller isn't because I think they are better for being more accurate, but because they are more comfortable. I think it would be awesome if I could play W:A on my TV, while sitting on my couch, with 3 buddies, who each have their own wireless xbox 360 controller. That's way better than jamming in around a computer monitor, with 1 keyboard, and 1 chair...

CyberShadow
5 Jun 2009, 18:30
I was talking more about the default layout for SMW, which required you to use two parts of the same finger for two buttons.

GreeN
5 Jun 2009, 19:24
i will upload a replay tho!http://www.filefactory.com/file/ag42360/n/2009-06-05_07_58_50_Online_xSQDxb1llygo4t_x9tninex_KBxBlea chxtl3_WAgame

I'm quite impressed at the level of control you seem to have over the worm. The concept of using a controller for this type of gaming still phases me

I noticed your movements were a little "flicky".. Do you find the D pad a little too sensitive?

b1llygo4t
5 Jun 2009, 22:00
i use a regular xbox "s" controller, i prefer the button placement over the 360. just cut the break away cable and splice on a usb cable, theres one extra yellow wire for light guns, other than that its just usb. and you need drivers called XBCD just google it.

xpadder is easier to use than auto hot key, and is geared towards playing games without gamepad support with one. and it suports more than one pad

at one point a company actualy put out a controller for xbox that had x,y,a,b under your fingers on the back. it was great for halo because you could mele/reload/jump/fire/nade and twist around all at the same time

the "flicky"nes is me rolling my thumb off of the down button when i let go of the rope. it kinda pops your worm up a little and adds that apex hang time.

it never made sense to me to play a side scrolling platformer with a kb. i am terrible at it, i dont even bother.

i do feel a little more casual playing games on pc with a controller. i hang out and watch tv while i play. and i dont get that computer geek hunch pain

b1llygo4t
7 Jun 2009, 18:05
:P lets play!

franpa
8 Jun 2009, 03:27
I was talking more about the default layout for SMW, which required you to use two parts of the same finger for two buttons.

You can't change the control scheme in Super Mario World (as a part of the Super Mario all-stars + World cartridge), can you? I know you can for Super Mario BROS. 3 which makes it lots easier to hold the controller upside down and play with your fingers instead of your thumb.

CyberShadow
8 Jun 2009, 03:52
Emulator .

b1llygo4t
8 Jun 2009, 10:32
could you swap a and b on mb3?

franpa
8 Jun 2009, 11:07
On the SNES compilation you can, not on the original NES version.

b1llygo4t
9 Jun 2009, 08:31
you know the "lost levels" is smb2 in japan? the one the rest of the world got was origionaly called Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic for the famicom disc drive, and had different characters. hence its uncharacteristicness to other mb games until smash bros and mario party. in japan it was rereleased as super mario brothers usa.

Muzer
9 Jun 2009, 10:56
Um, we all know that. Thanks for the late newsflash though!

franpa
9 Jun 2009, 14:09
it is not entirely doki doki panic :P you can run and running changes the height of your jumps! also probably features better artwork then doki doki panic :D

Muzer
9 Jun 2009, 16:57
Yeah, SMB2 used a 2MBit cart, whereas Doki Doki Panic used a 1MBit floppy.

b1llygo4t
9 Jun 2009, 21:43
doki doki was a 1 sided disc game. so only .5 mbit of usage. all cartridge games were 2 mbit but that doesnt indicate actual rom size

Muzer
9 Jun 2009, 21:46
doki doki was a 1 sided disc game. so only .5 mbit of usage. all cartridge games were 2 mbit but that doesnt indicate actual rom size
Actually no; it used to fit into a 1MiB ROM (see http://themushroomkingdom.net/smb2_proto.shtml ). They wouldn't have moved it up to two for no reason (they did add a lot of extra frames of animation)

b1llygo4t
9 Jun 2009, 22:09
ok i guess not all carts wer 2mbit. the test cart you linked to is 1 and the final ver is 2. still not a direct indication of actual rom size (vs empty space on the rom) there are also a lot of difs between doki doki ,smb2test, and smb2, id like to see dumps of all of e. just because a dvd CAN hold 4.7 gigs doesnt mean it IS storing that much info. and some forms of storage will only fuction at full capasity (like an xbox tsop flash needs doubled up bios or dummy files on some ver.) thank god for online (legal) dling of games saving our landfills and disc space. some games just dont need a dual layer dvd or a $60 price tag.

but yeah i never said smb2 was a "port" of doki doki. there are differences the major being the chars and sprites.