PDA

View Full Version : wkColorFix

CyberShadow
1 Jun 2009, 16:16
This is a WormKit (http://worms.thecybershadow.net/wormkit/) module which attempts to solve the palette problems on Vista and newer Windows versions.

Idea from here (http://worms.org.ua/forum/viewtopic.php?p=26255#26255).

EDIT: As this module is still getting a lot of downloads, I'll just point out: You shouldn't need this module if you are using the latest Beta update. You can download the newest Beta update for Worms Armageddon from here (http://wa.team17.com/main.html?page=supp&area=upda&file=15).

robowurmz
1 Jun 2009, 16:36
Considering not all of us can read Russian, what does it do?

CyberShadow
1 Jun 2009, 16:41
If the name doesn't tell you anything, you probably don't need it.

raffie
1 Jun 2009, 21:40
Wow, this is awesome. Does seem to do what the name says on my Vista setup! (I only got the colour bug sometimes and minimizing fixed it)

CyberShadow
1 Jun 2009, 22:06
Wow, this is awesome. Does seem to do what the name says on my Vista setup! (I only got the colour bug sometimes and minimizing fixed it)
Anything in palette.log related to that one?

franpa
2 Jun 2009, 02:15
If the claw is still torment the problem with a color palette of whist, or G, then use http://slil.ru/27448619 program, I wrote it myself както it suspends work at the time of activity eksplorera WA. Помещаете в катлог с WA, запускаете ее, она стартует WA и на время игры останавливает потоки експлорера (если игру свернуть - експлорер продолжает работать пока не развернете опять). Place in the printed catalog from WA, run it, it starts in WA and the game stops the flow of eksplorera (if you turn the game - eksplorer continued to work until you deploy again). По завершению игры сама прога закрывается. At the end of the game program itself is closed. Както быстро и похабно накидал на дельфе, если комуто надо сорс - пишите 246-532-750 Както quickly and pohabno nakidal at Delphi if necessary komuto Source - write 246-532-750Sounds like it suppresses explorer.exe processes while the game runs or only while in focus?

Works here under Windows 7 x86 (32bit) build 7100 Release Candidate. I did not perceive any instances of Explorer.exe being closed o_O

EDIT: loses colours in the frontend when I try to sign into WormNET or right after I press "start game" after entering teams in an offline game. Nothing is logged in Palette.log and in-game (gameplay) seems to work fine.

Image "1" colours are fine
Image "2" colours go awry when that screen is loading.

Balee
2 Jun 2009, 08:36
I take it this wont cause desynchronisations if the other player doesnt have it?

boobl
2 Jun 2009, 08:36
Well, if you really curious about that post on worms.org.ua, I can translate it, as good as I can.

If someone is still having problems with pallette under Vista or Windows 7, you can use this program (http://slil.ru/27448619), I wrote it for myself someday. It stops explorer.exe when WA is active.
You just put it in WA folder, launch it, it starts WA, and when you are playing, it stops every thread in explorer.exe process (if you minimize WA, explorer.exe will work well, until you restore WA back). The program closes when you close WA too. lalala

And then CS asks him for sources, so he could make wk module.

raffie
2 Jun 2009, 10:40
Anything in palette.log related to that one?

Sorry, I guess what I said sounded a bit confusing. I ment before I used the wkColorFix, I got the colourbug some of the time, and minimizing fixed it. Now I haven't seen it happen anymore! :)

CyberShadow
2 Jun 2009, 11:40
I take it this wont cause desynchronisations if the other player doesnt have it?It won't.

pisto
2 Jun 2009, 21:34
You just put it in WA folder, launch it, it starts WA, and when you are playing, it stops every thread in explorer.exe process (if you minimize WA, explorer.exe will work well, until you restore WA back). The program closes when you close WA toowhat if wa crashes? Is there any chance that you have explorer locked up?

btw even if not, good job!

CyberShadow
2 Jun 2009, 22:24
what if wa crashes? Is there any chance that you have explorer locked up?
That's a good point. I tried to add a hook to ExitProcess (this will work because the catch-all exception handler will still make W:A exit normally), but it looks like madCodeHook doesn't like it when I hook ExitProcess...

boobl
2 Jun 2009, 22:40
I just tested one thing

Dll code

BOOL APIENTRY DllMain (HINSTANCE hInst, DWORD reason, LPVOID reserved)
{
switch (reason)
{
case DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH:
MessageBox(0, "process attach", "attach", 0);
break;
case DLL_PROCESS_DETACH:
MessageBox(0, "process detach", "detach", 0);
break;
case DLL_THREAD_ATTACH:
MessageBox(0, "thread attach", "attach", 0);
break;
case DLL_THREAD_DETACH:
MessageBox(0, "thread detach", "detach", 0);
break;
}
return TRUE;
}

and program
int main(int argc, char argv[])
{
HINSTANCE hDll = LoadLibrary("test.dll");
*((DWORD*)(0)) = 1;
return 0;
}

at first it shows "process attach", but even after AV, it shows "process detach".

upd: my precious indentation. destroyed. bawwww

CyberShadow
3 Jun 2009, 09:21
I didn't think that would work, good idea. Zip in first post updated.

canofworms
3 Jun 2009, 10:09
Thank you - been looking for a solution this :D

Paulos
3 Jun 2009, 18:09
Nice module. However, a new Explorer window launches after the game exits... :)

CyberShadow
3 Jun 2009, 20:21
Nice module. However, a new Explorer window launches after the game exits... :)Stop pressing any keys that might cause that while the module isn't running, and it won't.

franpa
4 Jun 2009, 03:18
Why does this module prevent logging colour stealing to palette.log?

Gnork
4 Jun 2009, 07:46
I had some strange side effects in win7 - after exiting the game some pinned icons on the taskbar got changed - suddenly of got the icon of the snipping tool for live mail, and the sticky notes icon for windows explorer... rebooting made it change back to normal. Any idea how that is possible? It happened twice since I'm using this wkColourfix, but it's not consistent.

franpa
4 Jun 2009, 08:33
clear your icon cache. google can help with that task.

Gnork
4 Jun 2009, 09:49
clear your icon cache. google can help with that task.

Why would i have to clean out the icon cache on a fresh install which is running for just two weeks?

franpa
4 Jun 2009, 10:29
because icon corruption/randomness is usually caused by a corrupt/full icon cache?

pisto
4 Jun 2009, 10:37
this bug dates back to win2000 or xp. mmmm @ Microsoft

Balee
4 Jun 2009, 11:15
Strange, if you apply it for XP, the game freezes for 1-2-3 seconds every time you press something, like adding a team.

Good thing the color bug isnt (really) present in XP so I dont have to use it :D

franpa
4 Jun 2009, 12:08
csrss.exe, can you do something similar with this process without adverse effects Cybershadow?

CyberShadow
4 Jun 2009, 12:39
I don't know. Suspending csrss would require administrative rights, too. Why don't you try? You can suspend processes with Process Explorer.

Balee: that could be the side effect of some other program running in the background. Can someone with XP confirm if this is/isn't happening on all XP setups?

franpa
4 Jun 2009, 14:12
I tried ^_^" it freezes the Windows 7 GUI forcing me to do a manual reboot :O

boobl
5 Jun 2009, 10:31
Lol, freezing/terminating csrss (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client/Server_Runtime_Subsystem) is really not what you want to do.
By the way, attachment in the first post doesnt seem to work.

upd: Oh, looks like all attachments are dead links now. Gotta wait till fixed then.

franpa
5 Jun 2009, 10:35
confirmed, attachment is missing.

thomasp
5 Jun 2009, 10:49
The issue with attachments has been reported to the admins and will be fixed as soon as possible.

CyberShadow
5 Jun 2009, 10:49
Here's a mirror in the meantime: http://dump.thecybershadow.net/a5ae4b8af85b9ed0eaa2ae871094e24f/wkColorFix.zip

franpa
5 Jun 2009, 11:47
[2009-06-05 09.52.50] Palette set by 0x600C0 ""
[2009-06-05 09.52.50] Palette set by 0x10010 "" [csrss.exe]

for some reason closing all explorer.exe processes fixes my colour problem but suspending the prcesses doesn't o_o.

Muzer
5 Jun 2009, 16:27
Try disabling Aero whilst the game is running? I'm pretty sure that's what csrss does.

Or maybe that should be enabling Aero? I thought that csrss wasn't used when Aero was enabled; dwm was instead? I'm forgetting how Windows works already, hooray!

boobl
5 Jun 2009, 19:44
Windows XP here, no problems at all.

upd: just noticed, after i finished playing, all icons in folders were messed up. Firefox icon on all dll files, lol.
F5 fixed that

CyberShadow
5 Jun 2009, 20:42
I noticed that too. I wonder if suspending only certain threads in Explorer would reduce these side effects. Same goes for CSRSS, there are a lot of threads running in it - perhaps the one stealing the palette isn't system-critical?

boobl
5 Jun 2009, 21:35
What function is responsible for stealing palette? How about a hook on that function in explorer.exe and csrss.exe, and setting there an infinite wait for some named event, say "wkColorFixReleasePalette".

CyberShadow
5 Jun 2009, 23:44
I don't know, W:A catches the WM_PALETTECHANGED message for logging.

boobl
6 Jun 2009, 00:41
W:A catches the WM_PALETTECHANGED message for logging.
Hum. Briefly looked at your WM_PALETTECHANGED handler (not very deep so I might be wrong), you just get window text, searching for process that steals palette and writing it into log.
Look at this msdn article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/77702)
It says
An application that manipulates the system palette should process the WM_PALETTECHANGED and WM_QUERYNEWPALETTE messages to maintain its appearance during system palette and input focus changes.
And theres an example below, with such functions as SelectPalette ans RealizePalette, also something about return values after message processing. Take a look.

franpa
6 Jun 2009, 01:29
disabling Aero doesn't affect my situation.

CyberShadow
6 Jun 2009, 07:13
That won't help. If W:A was a GDI application, all that would do is redraw its window with the new system palette. We need to prevent palette changes in the first place.

Seep
8 Jun 2009, 12:23
win xp didnt crash but game loaded slowly and lagged sometimes in front end

CyberShadow
8 Jun 2009, 12:37
It looks like I found a fix for most (if not all) palette problems, and it'll be in the next Beta. If anyone wants to reproduce this with a WormKit module, you'll have to hook IDirectDrawPalette::SetEntries and double the palette changes to GDI (using SelectPalette), before the IDirectDrawPalette call. I also found that calling IDirectDrawSurface::SetPalette on the main surface also helped. Be careful, as the game hooks the RealizePalette GDI function before the calling ::SetEntries to prevent other applications from resetting their palette.

boobl
11 Jun 2009, 12:19
If anyone wants to reproduce this with a WormKit module
I could do that if I had windows Vista/7 to test things.
And I cant make the program that steals palette itself due to my lack of knowledge in GDI and all that stuff ׃(

CyberShadow
11 Jun 2009, 20:40
You could try running MSN Live in the background, I heard that one is a common culprit of palette problems.

franpa
12 Jun 2009, 04:57
MSN Live hasn't been an issue here for many years in regards to palette problems.

Vandral
15 Jun 2009, 15:54
That application from russian forum works fine for me, thank you, I can minimize and all.
But I still have one question, is there any granted fix for colourbug in replays?

(currently using windows7, what's funny is that I've had no colourbugs or whatsoever on Vista ;))

EDIT: I was 100% sure that I can't preview replays with wormkit, the colourfix module fixes all the problems I was getting, thx, CS.

Peewi
24 Jun 2009, 00:44
I signed up so that I could download this and I'd like to thank you. Some menus are still slightly messed up, but appears to work fine during games.

Thanks for providing this so I don't have to shut down explorer.exe when I want to play Worms.

You might want to put more info in your first post, though. I wasn't sure of how to use this before reading more of the thread and I had never heard of Wormkit before, as I'm not really part of the Worms community, but just some guy that wanted to play WA on Win7 that knows how to google.

GROM
24 Jun 2009, 16:54
Hi, I'm new here. God WA yesterday and I'm using Vista 32-bit.

Where do I put the extracted wkcolorfix? Currently, game runs, but as soon as the map loads, I get some funky colors.

CyberShadow
24 Jun 2009, 19:46
It's a WormKit (http://worms.thecybershadow.net/wormkit/) module. You should place it in your W:A folder and run WormKit.exe.

Gnork
18 Aug 2009, 16:52
Could you try adding a little time-out for letting explorer suspend before loading W:A? I have the suspicion W:A gets loaded too fast cuz sometimes it will still screw up the colours after pressing Start in the game. Although this usually happens if W:A is launched again (from prosnooper) after a lunch break -or whatever- while the machine wasn't rebooted meanwhile...

CrooKed
20 Aug 2009, 23:26
Im running Win 7 64 bit

I run WA over WK with ColorFix included , and emulating Win XP .

Im still getting the Color bug constantly in the game menu , whenever i log into the internet , or do any single player activity , and in rare occasions it seems to do it in-game too ..

Once i minimize the game , it wont seem to let me click back into it afterwards either .

Anyone got some solutions for this ?

.. Id simply LOVE to know if so :)

franpa
21 Aug 2009, 06:11
1) if you are in the front-end/menu's then don't minimize. This bug is fixed in the next version of W:A. Minimize during a game instead.

2a) Close all instances of the Explorer.exe process in Task Manager before running the game. You can use Task Manager to load the game.
or
2b) Decompress the attached ZIP file and try the appropriate BAT file.

Extremist2
21 Aug 2009, 07:57
Man, this game really needs to be converted to use 24-bit colour rather than 256 colour... :-/

Then again, people with old, weak machines will be out of luck. Might it be someday possible to add a colour depth option to the front end?

franpa
21 Aug 2009, 08:52
Yep, but how everything works will need to be redesigned too.

Lazure
27 Aug 2009, 16:52
I'm definitely looking forward to 32-bit color.

For one, it would run a lot more natively in a modern operating system that way.

Two, I finally would love to be able to make custom maps that are in full color and not dithered! :) 32-bit PNG maps ftw!

pisto
30 Aug 2009, 17:22
with Windows Vista sp2 and Ati HD 4650 works perfectly.

MihaiS_v2
30 Aug 2009, 21:25
With Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and nVidia GeForce GTX 295 works almost perfect: I get a screwed WormNet interface. http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs39/f/2008/331/f/e/Art_Trade___Crazy_Happy_Emote_by_phantompanther.gi f

And I don't know if this has already been said: if WA crashes, exporer.exe doesn't recover.

Telémaco
3 Sep 2009, 02:01
God WA yesterday and I'm using Vista 32-bit.

Where do I put the extracted wkcolorfix? Currently, game runs, but as soon as the map loads, I get some funky colors.
It's a WormKit (http://worms.thecybershadow.net/wormkit/) module. You should place it in your W:A folder and run WormKit.exe.

Hi.

Based on the answer that you gave to the GROM user, should I interpret that I can’t use this colour fix (the two extracted files, dll and dpr) without that WormKit thing? Or can I do without that?

Same as the other partner up there, I never used before any other rare program to play WA. Recently, I am using snooper, The Wheat Snooper, and that’s all…

By the way, I work with Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bits edition, also… : (

It looks like I found a fix for most (if not all) palette problems, and it'll be in the next Beta. If anyone wants to reproduce this with a WormKit module, you'll have to hook IDirectDrawPalette::SetEntries and double the palette changes to GDI (using SelectPalette), before the IDirectDrawPalette call. I also found that calling IDirectDrawSurface::SetPalette on the main surface also helped. Be careful, as the game hooks the RealizePalette GDI function before the calling ::SetEntries to prevent other applications from resetting their palette.

What do you mean wit that? That means that we can wait another Update for WA? A higher Update to the current 3.6.29.0 BETA, with a general colour fix for the WV & W7 worm’s players?!

If is that so, that’s a very good notice! XD

DaSilva
7 Sep 2009, 19:02
Together with the WormKit module and the batch file all colors are displayed correctly but I get a crash on every start of a match.
What can I do to fix this?
I use Windows 7 32 Bit Ultimate RTM.
Thanks.

siandjing
8 Sep 2009, 00:53
it's work perfectly on Windows XP SP3 with Intel X4500 graphic card, thanks :D

Gnork
8 Sep 2009, 11:18
it's work perfectly on Windows XP SP3 with Intel X4500 graphic card, thanks :D

no wonder, cuz the module is made for windows7 and not ancient xp...

b1llygo4t
13 Sep 2009, 05:37
woohoooo :)

DaSilva
13 Sep 2009, 12:49
It is sad that it doesn't work :(

b1llygo4t
14 Sep 2009, 06:07
it helps my color issue, but did not fix. before every time i tried to play it would mess up and minimizing wouldnt fix. now it happens every now and then, but minimizing fixes now. when i quit worms my start bar flickers.

vista 32

Joschi
24 Sep 2009, 08:56
Thank you CS, with your zip ,y color bug is fixed.

b1llygo4t
30 Sep 2009, 13:44
my graphics driver crashes when i minimize or quit about 1/3 of the time, when it does, windows resolution and colours become messed up unless i log out, or switch users. any ideas?

vista 32

franpa
30 Sep 2009, 15:03
Do you minimize during gameplay or during the menus? I would recommend only minimizing during gameplay on Vista and Windows 7 until the next patch comes out.

b1llygo4t
30 Sep 2009, 22:25
in game.

sometimes after i enter and exit the weapons, landscape or game options menu in the pregame lobby i get either black screen with some graphics displayed in white, and/or i am unable to click on anything and am forced to alt ctrl del to get out, then i experience the windows palette and res bug.

poop

CyberShadow
30 Sep 2009, 23:17
You mean this (http://worms2d.info/Troubleshooting_FAQ#When_returning_from_a_game.2C_ I_get_a_black_screen_with_some_white_areas)?

b1llygo4t
1 Oct 2009, 04:38
no, its not when i return from a game, its when i return from an option screen to the main pre-game lobby (returning from game seems fine). sometimes its black and white like described in the faq and some times the colors are fine, either way i cannot click or type and when i escape to windows the palette and res are messed up and a warning message pops up saying "the graphics driver has crashed and successfuly recovered". also when this happens there are 2 programs running on the task bar, "Worms Armageddon" and "Team 17"

i still get the in-game color bug every once in a while, but not as much as with out the WKcolorfix. sometimes minimizing crashes it.

franpa
1 Oct 2009, 05:59
Don't minimize in the lobby/menu area (anywhere that lets you minimize by clicking the bottom of the screen) until the next patch comes out.

b1llygo4t
1 Oct 2009, 20:04
thanks guys ill do that

edit:: i couldnt find this module on the worms knowledge base or your wormkit page, cybershadow.

MihaiS_v2
1 Oct 2009, 23:04
http://rapidshare.com/files/287522934/zwkColorFix.dll

CyberShadow
1 Oct 2009, 23:17
edit:: i couldnt find this module on the worms knowledge base or your wormkit page, cybershadow.It's linked to from here (http://worms2d.info/Troubleshooting_FAQ#The_game_colours_get_all_messe d_up). The module is only temporary anyway until the next update.

b1llygo4t
1 Oct 2009, 23:58
cybershadow: the link you gave loops back to here. i was trying to help someone get it, you have to register to the forum to download

mihais: thanks

Lazure
4 Oct 2009, 15:54
As far as the whole color thing goes, is that 32-bit color upgrade for W:A still planned?

Having True Color 32-bit is one of the biggest things I'm anxious for in W:A.. not just because it would pretty much fix all color issues (and probably allow you to make the game run more friendly with the modern OS in general)... but because I always like to create maps and reducing them down to 113 colors is quite nasty. :3 true-color PNG maps would be lovely to create.

CyberShadow
4 Oct 2009, 15:56
As far as the whole color thing goes, is that 32-bit color upgrade for W:A still planned?
Yes, possibly before 4.0.

Lazure
4 Oct 2009, 16:25
Woohoo, that's great news :)

sanji
3 Dec 2009, 21:22
im not acting stupid...but where the hell do you put the files from the zip?? :D

put the 2 files in the WA folder in c:
...it did make my colour better...well just the team17 logo from the begining...and even the logo had odd coloured bits...then when i start "quick single player game"...OMGGGG...i can just about see the worms :eek:
nothing is readable...then when i "quit" the game...the menu looks worser than before...

...i thought i should experiment around a bit...when i "control+alt+delete" in the middle of a game...my whole windows colour scheme is messed and the game crashes...need to change to original theme to get the windows colours back...trying to find a fix right now...someone help me out pleaseeee? :(
Thanks ;)

(btw...im using windows 7, 32-bit with all latest updates...directx and .net etc.)

The Tor
4 Dec 2009, 10:34
Sometimes I see a small single flash when playing on my 7 RC but that's very rarely and nothing that I find annoying. I go away in an instant but sometimes I see icons from my desktop flashing/blend a small part of the screen. Mostly they gone when we start playing but if not it mostly just an easy fix by minimize WA.
Also when avast pop up those checking a window they interfere with WA but that’s what I remember a known problem.
Think this mostly not related to color problem but more likely I don't remember terminate Explore?

sanji
4 Dec 2009, 15:28
...just figured out how to use the wormkit thing :D
fixed the whole colour thing but i still get the problem every now and then :(

FoxHound
18 Dec 2009, 15:09
the colors are fixed, but it is impossible to play with wormkit! I start a game select a ninja rope, press space to use it and an error appear WA is closed and explorer.exe bugs

SgtFusion
19 Dec 2009, 05:34
Look in your Worms: Armageddon directory (folder) for a file called "ERRORLOG.txt" and post it as an attachment. If you do that, CyberShadow may be able to help you.

LTreu
1 Jan 2010, 00:48
Your fix got my issue straightened out right away (Win 7 x64)... Great job Shadow.

hundreds
1 Jan 2010, 20:42
Yes, possibly before 4.0.

Amen sucka.

marcelluiz
11 Jan 2010, 01:11
so.. i'm using wormkit with the fix on Win 7 32 bits, when you open the game, everything seems normal, but when i click on anything that create a second window( like: are you sure you're gonna delete the team?) or start a game colors get all messed up again, and never get back to normal

so, what can i do? my worms is 3.6.28.0 :p

lDarKl
13 Jan 2010, 13:43
Buy the game, for one.

Gturbo5
21 Jan 2010, 19:24
Good Work :D

tiamat1
23 Jan 2010, 09:38
OK first of all I have a ATI 4850. The latest driver from ATI crash the game for me works only with 9-8_vista32_win7_32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu as driver or the windows 7 driver. Sure you need as well the wkcolorfix and wormkit also, or your color mess up. Patch level is WA_update-3.6.28.0 when i use WA_update-3.6.29.0 this crasch my game when i trie to start a online or even a normal 1v1 game hotseat.

darkfoot
31 Jan 2010, 15:59
here is a quicker fix than worm kit http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=40295

CyberShadow
1 Feb 2010, 00:14
here is a quicker fix than worm kit http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=40295
If you don't mind not being able to access the start menu, task bar or your desktop icons when minimizing W:A, that is.

SgtFusion
1 Feb 2010, 01:33
wkColorFix works nearly perfectly for me. The only problem is that the palette gets messed up in the frontend when I start a game. But the colors ingame are fine.

dbanet
4 Feb 2010, 08:22
If I add a sleep(250); function at the source of colorfix, it works perfectly!

Gnork
7 Feb 2010, 09:18

would you mind sharing it for those who don't compile sources themselves?

CyberShadow
7 Feb 2010, 09:31
Um, where exactly?

Gnork
12 Feb 2010, 19:20
Um, where exactly?

zZzz Zzz @ no answer to question from CS...

:s

So much for open source, lol

Talking about code, I haven't seen it, but I guess most logic place would be at the end of it, just before wa.exe gets launched or whatever happens in there, in order to give the rest of the code some more time? I always had that feeling anyway since this patch came out - somewhere in it the code would love a bit more time to get done with things properly, before making haste to launch the next process....

edit: pause button b4 launch of worms, and/or little log screen on what happens and info about it would be great, if it weren't for debugging reasons as well :P

Evil
14 Feb 2010, 07:07
Hi, I'm using wkColorFix on Windows 7 (32 bits) and it works fine but the colors in the front-end get messed up everytime I login to WormNET (other menus and in-game colors are fine) ... I've been looking for solutions at the FAQs but without luck so far... any ideas? ^^

BTW, If I minimize the game while being in a menu, the game crashes.. but this is not important to me right now (knowing that this may be fixed on the next update).

The Tor
14 Feb 2010, 12:28
Hi, I'm using wkColorFix on Windows 7 (32 bits) and it works fine but the colors in the front-end get messed up everytime I login to WormNET (other menus and in-game colors are fine) ... I've been looking for solutions at the FAQs but without luck so far... any ideas? ^^

BTW, If I minimize the game while being in a menu, the game crashes.. but this is not important to me right now (knowing that this may be fixed on the next update).
Like me who using the 64 bit version, you should wait for the next beta that probably fix the rest of the colors. Just please don't ask me about when this happens, ask CyberShadow. Any new info on this worth knowing? :o

For people that love minimizing, you should try hit Esc. For me it brings the game back to previously menu but it also somehow makes WA to response again. (in case if WA hangs after been minimized)

2CRAZY
25 Feb 2010, 01:44
is there anyway for fix to load without wormkit,couse i need to start game using regular WA.exe?

Explorer
25 Feb 2010, 13:15
is there anyway for fix to load without wormkit,couse i need to start game using regular WA.exe?

Currently, NO. But why do you need to start using regular WA.exe?

CyberShadow
25 Feb 2010, 13:27
Hmm, you need to start a WormKit module without WormKit?

Anyway, if you follow the link in the first post, you can find a stand-alone version (direct link (http://slil.ru/27448619)).

franpa
26 Feb 2010, 08:58

Wormkit automatically launches WA.exe with the applied modules. Launching WA.exe yourself will result in no modules being applied.

Skeeter
28 Feb 2010, 19:56
I think its because ppl launch worms with xfire and it doesnt record your game time if u use the wormkit exe.

DrMelon
1 Mar 2010, 14:18
I think its because ppl launch worms with xfire and it doesnt record your game time if u use the wormkit exe.

Or because people pirate the game, and can't use Wormkit with the latest update ;)

fiba
1 Mar 2010, 21:14
well, i'm a n00b, but where do i put the colorfix files?

CyberShadow
1 Mar 2010, 21:16
WormKit module installation instructions are on the WormKit homepage.

Joschi
3 Mar 2010, 10:28
Ello,

ok, I have read all thread twice. I still have the same problem. I've got Windows 7 (32-bit) new, tried to use wkColorfix program, but I dont get it even run the program.
I have installed WA with a original CD. Even the team datas get lost, starting the game new...

Joschi
3 Mar 2010, 10:37
Ok, I have read all threads due to windows7/WA twice. But I didnt found a solution...

I have Windows7 (32-bit) and original WA CD

1. I get inverted colors, but dont know how to handle this wkColorfix, thought I knew it once... I just dont get it to run.
2. How I can run wa.exe when I have killed explorer.exe like you supposed us to do?
3. My team datas gets lost each time I start the game new.

Am I right, that following your installation instructions, it isnt necessary to install the "patch"? Only the "update"?

franpa
3 Mar 2010, 10:57
1) install only the "update".

2) You can use Task Manager to run programs via File -> Run program...

3) Wormkit module installation instructions on the wormkit homepage.

SgtFusion
4 Mar 2010, 03:39
3. My team datas gets lost each time I start the game new.
You need to set W:A to run with administrative privileges. Otherwise, Windows 7/Vista doesn't allow it to change files. To do this, right-click on W:A, and click Properties. Then go to the Compatibility tab, and tick/check the box that says "Run this program as an administrator." Then apply the changes.

franpa
4 Mar 2010, 03:46
Or install the game somewhere other then "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" like C:\Worms Armageddon

Joschi
4 Mar 2010, 07:48
Thank you very much both!

I m always happy about the existing of this forum :-) Gj.

Astorek86
12 Mar 2010, 23:20
Hi

On the first: My skill to speak english isn't perfect, because I'm not a naturally speaker. I hope you can understand me^^:

I don't tried out the wkColorFix, but I got a solution, that seems it solves the "weird color"-Problem for every game, W:A included. Originally I was looking out for a weird color-Solution for the game StarCraft. But I've tested it with W:A and the Solution works with W:A too.

The Solution is: On your Desktop, create a file called "wa.bat" (or a name whatever you want, but the name MUST be ended with ".bat") and fill it with the following:taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
"C:\Team17\wa.exe" /nointro
start explorer.exe(Of Course, replace Path on the second line if needed)

Sadly, I don't know WHY it works... But the main reason is, it IS working for me^^ (Win7 64-bit)...

Gybrush
14 Mar 2010, 08:05
This bat File is for me the only Way to run W:A too. :-/
Win7 32 Bit, orginal Worms CD inside and last Beta Update :-)
The only thing i missed is that i can´t watch the Replays without the wrong colors :-(
Exist a Stand alone Player for the WAgames ?
I also tried to run W:A in a Virtual Pc with WinXP (wrong colors too).

How can i watch the WAgames with Win7 ?
The bat file does not work.

Greetings

Astorek86
14 Mar 2010, 18:50
I've tested it, and for me it works^^. For example:taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
"C:\Team17\wa.exe" "C:\Team17\User\Games\2010-03-12 23.00.52 [Offline] Star Trek, 1-UP.WAgame"
start explorer.exe

CyberShadow
14 Mar 2010, 21:49
If you use wkColorFix, you can just associate replay files with WormKit, or drag-and-drop them on the WormKit shortcut.

Explorer
15 Mar 2010, 12:20
I've tested it, and for me it works^^. For example:taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
"C:\Team17\wa.exe" "C:\Team17\User\Games\2010-03-12 23.00.52 [Offline] Star Trek, 1-UP.WAgame"
start explorer.exe

First, the reason why it works can be found here:
http://worms2d.info/Troubleshooting_FAQ#The_game_colours_get_all_messe d_up

Second, stop making those batch files, because most people have done it already. (You can see my version here (http://worms2d.info/Talk:Troubleshooting_FAQ#The_color_problem), which works with ALL PALETTE GAMES.)

franpa
15 Mar 2010, 13:35
every bat file posted works with every game, thats nothing to be special. Just change the path to the game.

Gybrush
19 Mar 2010, 20:40
If you use wkColorFix, you can just associate replay files with WormKit, or drag-and-drop them on the WormKit shortcut.

I´ve tried this but it doesn´t work :-(
Wrong Colors are the result.
I have tried to run Wormkit with an bat who kills the explorer and wrong colors (after a few Minutes) where the result. I use the wkcolor.dll
The only Way for me to run W:A is with an bat that kill the explorer and the start up WA.exe - then the colors are fine :D
But no WAgame in normal Colors :(

franpa
20 Mar 2010, 07:51
create another bat file that does this
taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
"x:\path to wa.exe\wa.exe" /play %1
Start explorer.exe

The associate replays with it or drag and drop them.

Gybrush
20 Mar 2010, 18:08
Yeah Baby ;-) it works i can watch Replays with true Colors. But this only works with the WA.exe not with the Wormkit ?
Whatever....I´m happy :cool:
Thx

Explorer
21 Mar 2010, 05:14
Yeah Baby ;-) it works i can watch Replays with true Colors. But this only works with the WA.exe not with the Wormkit ?
Whatever....I´m happy :cool:
Thx

I hope you're not confusing the following:
1. WA should never run in True Color, until 4.0. You must be emulating WA instead.
2. WormKit is just a DLL loader. It just inject those DLL commands to WA.exe .

Also, if you want to launch WormKit via a batch, use this:
<WA path>\WormKit.exe <WA path>\WA.exe
or use this to load replay files:
<WA path>\WormKit.exe <WA path>\WA.exe /play <replay file>

SgtFusion
21 Mar 2010, 07:24
I hope you're not confusing the following:
1. WA should never run in True Color, until 4.0. You must be emulating WA instead.

I think by "true Colors" he meant the actual game colours as opposed to messed up ones.

franpa
21 Mar 2010, 08:14
Explorer has the right command for playing replays with Wormkit.

FoxHound
10 Jun 2010, 05:32
The colors of the game are still a mess on the menu most of the times, but when a match starts the colors are fixed.

Ombodi77
11 Jun 2010, 18:13
Thx for topic, colorfix works for me perfectly If I kill explorer.exe

btw w7 rox and WormOlympics gadget is great too!

gariuz
17 Jul 2010, 20:17
hi!! i read this post and i want to minimize worms armageddon but i can't maximize it again.. because sometimes i need to keep my msn on and i have to use it.. any idea of what can i do??
thanks!! and sorry for my bad english!!

franpa
18 Jul 2010, 07:36
only minimize during a game/round. It's a known bug planned to be fixed in the next version of W:A.

gariuz
18 Jul 2010, 18:41
ok! thx! do you know when will be the new version???
and other question out of this post.. do you know something about the worms 2 armageddon for pc?? hehe
goodluck! ;)

franpa
19 Jul 2010, 06:23
The next version of W:A will be released when it has finished being developed. I am not very invested in W2:A so don't know very much about it.

gariuz
19 Jul 2010, 16:48
ook! thanks! i hope hte next version soon hehe
goodluck!

Paft
25 Jul 2010, 23:03
I used this:
taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
wa.exe /nointro
Start explorer.exe
Paste into Notepad and save as "colourfix.bat" with quotes. Run it to run game

Could you put it in the first post please. These forums DO NOT have enough simple info. Have to **** about searching and going through several pages.

CyberShadow
26 Jul 2010, 08:25
These forums DO NOT have enough simple info. Have to **** about searching and going through several pages.

The real problem is your failure to read the sticky threads before posting.

Also, if you look at this thread's title, you'll notice that it discusses specifically wkColorFix, and not other solutions to resolve such problems.

Paft
26 Jul 2010, 11:03
True.

I don't know how to get your fix working. Cba going though several pages.

bereneagra
14 May 2011, 13:19
Thanks a lot. It's work fine with WormsNAT2 and WkModules ~ and our kits for correcting color palette in the game.

Best regards, Dark Beer.;)

olesio
17 Nov 2011, 03:23
This is my first post here, so I welcome everybody. And I must reply to author of this thread because I was blind and can not find this thread before by google, because I searched for ddraw.dll fixes and find another releases, which was coded in C/C++ and used OpenGL, but suspend explorer thread is the solution :)
@CyberShadow: so.. big thanks for your dll, I must admit i have some Delphi knowledge but I was messing around wirh ddraw.dll wrappers to translate them from C++/C to Delphi, but I was to lame. And the sollution to play on many old games under Windows Vista/XP is very simple Suspend Explorer Process, not kill just suspend. I did not I think of it before. I'm lame ;/ Anyway my work is attached to this post. I tested my ddraw.dll under following applications and games.

"C&C RedAlert" (works better than latest CNCDDRAW, maybe we do not have to many options or high revolution but there is no problem with pauses when playing movies and no fast mouse scrolling which caused game is unplayable). Added code to detect closing and checking is Explorer process suspended because it sometimes hang up game after exit and Explorer process is still Suspended.

"Die By The Sword" - works perfect, no Alt+Tab possibility because is it probable blocked, so we can play.

Two Polish adventure games:
"Wacki - Kosmiczna Rozgrywka" (eng. "Wacki - Cosmic Game") - works fine, only while movies played and we switch to Windows and return to game, colors will be messed up - I tried to write ddraw.dll wrapper to this game using Sol's source of ddhack for Wing Commander series but I lose and author cannot help me even if I asked Him nicely on e-mail. Sad ;( Anyway I'm happy with patching this game about year ago and skip all cd checks :)

"Książę i Tchorz" (eng. "Prince and coward") - works fine until first switch by alt+Tab, and can hang up explorer process after exit. Game only works fine under VM Machine with Windows 98. I tested a patched for XP version by Arek Rataj and no cd patch by me. Unfortunetly Sol's DDHack works fine only with intro, later gfx is totaly messed up and looks like random puzzles. And Alt+Tab do not switch if we use ddhack.dll.

Application: RealSpec ZX Spectrum Emulator. From fast test - works perfect :)

Short info about my work. It is simple ddraw.dll wrapper using CyberShadow idea with suspending Explorer process. I compiled it under Delphi 7 using optimized modules for WinAPI code from: http://kolmck.net/sys/SysDcu7.zip and packed DLL with UPX. Just place this ddraw,dll file in old DirectX game directory and try luck :) Once again thanks for CyberShadow to light my brain :) I did not have possibility to test dll under XP, but it is for new systems than XP. Time to go sleep. Good night and sorry for my bad English.

Pac-Man
22 Nov 2011, 10:26
I was able to fix any palettized game I have with the registry compatibility fixes in the DirectDraw key.

olesio
22 Nov 2011, 13:20
Pac-Man: ok, I know this trick. But for me simplest and fastest way is put my wrapper in ddraw.dll file to any game directory. Getting ID from PE header or use ready unconfortable utils to add compatibility to registry is not good for me. Also adding registry entire do not fix problems with colors in any game when switching to Windows using Alt+Tab. That's why I made this dll using WColorFix ready code.

Pac-Man
23 Nov 2011, 07:59
Good work too. ;)
Just so you know I don't have a problem with alt+Tabbing :O

DyingFetus
7 Jun 2012, 16:27
My game is running fine on Win7 with colors etc.

but when i click on "start game" - it's crashing and its telling me "encountered error" or something....

SgtFusion
8 Jun 2012, 10:56
Do you have the latest Beta Update installed?

DyingFetus
8 Jun 2012, 11:45
yes, i did install...

i've tried compability mode etc. nothing works...

its crazy, the game runs perfectly, just when i try to "start game", this happens to me...

IttyZA
26 Feb 2013, 07:10
Hi

I placed the zipped files into my game folder and the colours are still a bit of a mess.

Im running Windows 7, 64bit.

Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

StepS
26 Feb 2013, 11:05
Hi

I placed the zipped files into my game folder and the colours are still a bit of a mess.

Im running Windows 7, 64bit.

Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

please install the latest update (3.7.0.0)