PDA

View Full Version : Can't open Map file?!

d3rd3vil
16 May 2009, 21:27
Hoho!

I have a PNG map that works great! Then I resize the map (make it bigger) and save it in an PNG format again!

But this time the map cant be opened! Why not? Wheres the problem?

I'm using Windows 7 and Paint to resize it!

Plz help me :)
d3rd3vil

MihaiS_v2
16 May 2009, 22:46
Most likely you resized it to a non-standard W:A maps size.

d3rd3vil
17 May 2009, 00:39
No! The normal map is 287kb big and has a resolution of 1920*696! Both can be devided through 8 :D

The bigger version is 2672*968 and is 602kb big!

It might have something to do with Windows 7 and it's Paint program? Maybe that causes some problems? What can I do? Any other program for that maybe?

MihaiS_v2
17 May 2009, 02:36
Try Photoshop without altering the background.

franpa
17 May 2009, 05:13
MSPaint saves PNG images in 32bit mode iirc instead of 8bit dithered. Try saving the image as a GIF file in MSPAINT then save THAT file as a PNG.

Muzer
17 May 2009, 12:26
MSPaint saves PNG images in 32bit mode iirc instead of 8bit dithered. Try saving the image as a GIF file in MSPAINT then save THAT file as a PNG.
I think it doesn't change the format if you open a pre-existing 8-bit PNG. I might be wrong though.

Also, franpa, that won't work, as it'll still use the full 256-colour pallette (W:A requires the map to use no more than one hundred and something).

d3rd3vil
17 May 2009, 12:27
Well I think it has something to do with Windows 7?! In Vista or XP (dont know anymore :D) it worked by saving it in 256bit BMP and then in PNG format! Doesn't work anymore though.....

Trying Photoshop now! GIF idea didn't work :(

Edit: So any other idea Muzer? I just want to resize the working PNG map, nothing more!!

Muzer
17 May 2009, 12:30
Edit: So any other idea Muzer? I just want to resize the working PNG map, nothing more!!
Programs like photoshop and the GIMP should work. Use this page as a guide if you get stuck: http://worms2d.info/Colour_map

d3rd3vil
17 May 2009, 12:45
Yeah thank yo, it works fine with GIMP :) I just have to resize the map and save it as PNG, nothing more :)

d3rd3vil
17 May 2009, 13:56
I have another problem now :(

Some maps can be opened with GIMP, some not?! Then it says: "Error while reading file! File damaged?!" or sth. like that ^^

But these maps have the same size and resolution like the other maps! Wheres the problem?

There are many great maps but I have to resize them, they are all definitely too small ^^

Edit: Ok I managed to do it somehow! I opened the files with MS Paint and saved them as a 256 BMP image! Then I could open it with GIMP and save it as a PNG! Works now, except that Worms gives me a message: too many colours....still the map works?! ^^

CyberShadow
26 May 2009, 11:08
If you get a "This map has too many colours" message, W:A will re-dither the map, which will further reduce its quality. You should set the number of colours in GIMP as specified on the http://worms2d.info/Colour_map page.

d3rd3vil
26 May 2009, 16:48
Sry but it only says:

"Maximum number of colors should be set to 113 or below (see above for details on side effects of using certain colour ranges). It must also be a number above 16, otherwise The GIMP will save your PNG as a 4-bit or 1-bit image, instead of an 8-bit image required by W:A. "

But how can I do that plz?

CyberShadow
26 May 2009, 19:45
See point 2.