PDA

View Full Version : Best application to record videos of WA

Fergo
14 May 2009, 13:27
Hey everyone.
I searched this forum for similar topics and most users recommend Fraps to record. My problem is that if I try to record a video with Fraps when WA is set to 1680x1050, I get something like 5 fps. If I switch to 640x480 I'm able to reach something like 30fps, but the "field of view" in Worms with that resolution is terrible.
Does anyone know a better way to record videos with higher resolutions? I tried other softwares (GameCam, ZD, Hypercam) and all failed =/

Thanks,
Fergo

Koen-ftw
14 May 2009, 15:38
Right click a replay -> Export video.

This will save a sequence of PNGs which you can join and encode using VirtualDubMod. My way of adding audio is recording it from my stereo out and then syncing it afterwards.

MihaiS_v2
14 May 2009, 16:32
http://forum.team17.co.uk/showpost.php?p=676585&postcount=5

Fergo
15 May 2009, 01:45
Thanks for the reply.
One question though: when I export the PNG sequences, at which framerate they are exported (how many pictures correspond to one second)? I saw that there is a "frameskip" textbox, but I don't know exactly what it means

Thanks in advance,
Fergo

GreeN
15 May 2009, 08:52
If I recall correctly, the game runs at 50 FPS, and will export as such. The frame skip option does exactly what it says on the tin (How many frames the replay will skip before it records another), and is simply used for reducing the amount of frames exported - Used sparingly you can reduce the size of your videos by a vast amount without altering the quality too much.

Koen-ftw
15 May 2009, 12:41
GreeN is right, it exports at 50fps. You can set the frameskip to 2 to get a 25fps stream. I personally just export at 50fps and alter the framerate in vdub later (30fps works well).

doben
15 May 2009, 17:18
one problem i came across was, that when exporting a video from a >2h replay, it'll abort exporting somewhere around the 1:55-2:00...dunno exactly right now. still happens, if you export with frameskip.
that's crap since i had that project where i needed to export to whole 5 hour replay ;)

MihaiS_v2
15 May 2009, 18:09
Did it cross your mind to use the "Start at" and "End at" feature? You could've exported 1h at a time (5 export sessions).

GreeN
15 May 2009, 20:06
The one time he has something useful to say, and he says it in a condescending manner xD

doben
15 May 2009, 20:06
ya crossed my mind. i just dont remember, if i actually did that, because the first time it stopped i thought somehitng else caused it (overnight export) and the second time i waited several hours and lost interest after it didnt work.
nowadays i dont try it again, because my current display hasnt enough reso to capture the whole screen, which is needed...well. just saying, it's still not cool that it just stops capturing.
(could also be i tried it and it didnt work)

Clavius_SA
19 May 2009, 13:34
I get a good 30fps with fraps playing at 1024x768 and that's big enough and smooth enough for me. But if you have fraps and are already recording from replays then just record the replay with fraps, the frame lag on the display doesn't ruin in the video as far as i know.

robowurmz
19 May 2009, 17:15
That's true, Clavius: usually, the game lags like all heck broken loose, but happily the video file runs smoothly.

Fergo
21 May 2009, 02:09
In other games like Call of Duty 4 or Counter Strike Source the lag caused by Fraps recording doesn't ruin the final video here, but I don't know why when recording WA, it does. I guess that's because the unusual graphics engine (DirectDraw?). There's a lot of screen capture and recording applications that does not work with worms.

Fergo

franpa
21 May 2009, 03:42
it doesn't ruin W:A either, it is just that they can't properly capture the rendered video from the game.

SteaK
4 Jun 2009, 17:34
hey i tried it but where is video ?? sorry for my bad english