PDA

View Full Version : High-level matches on Youtube?

Scrub555
5 May 2009, 11:22
It would be nice having pro games of various schemes uploaded to Youtube to interest people unfamiliar with the series. Personally, I want to get a couple friends into Worms, but it appears most videos on Youtube are either casuals who take 40 seconds to plan their attack just to end it with a straight zook yet still miss their target, or compilations, in which a new player would have no idea what's going on. And my computer can't handle Fraps.

I'm guessing some good schemes for this would be shopper, team17, hysteria, rope race... Probably off a league tournament?

Squirminator2k
5 May 2009, 11:46
Why not show them replays on your PC?

franpa
5 May 2009, 13:39
that would put an emphasis on geekyness, inviting people over to stare at your PC >_<"

robowurmz
5 May 2009, 18:22
I suppose it would be possible to make a program that could convert wagame files into proprietary video formats... but that would take ages, and be very difficult. I certainly am not able to do that yet, but you never know who might be inspired to do stuff.

Muzer
5 May 2009, 20:30
I suppose it would be possible to make a program that could convert wagame files into proprietary video formats... but that would take ages, and be very difficult. I certainly am not able to do that yet, but you never know who might be inspired to do stuff.
Is everyone forgetting the "extract video + virtualdubmod" method?

M3ntal
5 May 2009, 21:32
http://wormtube.wyvsucks.org

Scrub555
5 May 2009, 22:32
Why not show them replays on your PC?

Much easier sending a video while chatting on AIM, letting them watch it at their own pace... plus I'd want to show a couple people in another game community. Just recently a guy downloaded PSN Worms and was saying how immense it is, would of been nice showing him all the features in Armageddon.

Is everyone forgetting the "extract video + virtualdubmod" method?

I'll look into it.

http://wormtube.wyvsucks.org

Seems like individual, full matches would be better for someone who's never played Worms. All that roping isn't very impressive when you have no idea how it works :p

CyberShadow
6 May 2009, 03:05
I think the best solution would be to release a new version of a W:A demo, which additionally can play back replays.

bonz
6 May 2009, 08:03
I think the best solution would be to release a new version of a W:A demo, which additionally can play back replays.
Nice idea.
In fact, a Windows XP/2K compatible version of WA should have been released long ago, back when v3.0.5.0 came out. :rolleyes:

Maybe you should have a look at the current WA demo and recreate a new one with the same content, but updated with the latest beta fixes and features.
Although, if PNG support is in there, some people who have no interest in offline missions could technically get a free WA.
I can't remember how many weapons and schemes the old demo had unlocked, but restrictions would be good, I think.

Since I don't know, was the WA demo restricted to a certain demo server or channel?

yakuza
6 May 2009, 08:10
If you want to see real league matches between players go to one of the leagues

fb.wormsrenegade.com or xtcleague.com

you can download replays from the "games played" section. You'll also want to check the standings to see the highest ranked players and download the games from said players.

edit: my reply is the best reply

franpa
6 May 2009, 08:52
Nice idea.
In fact, a Windows XP/2K compatible version of WA should have been released long ago, back when v3.0.5.0 came out. :rolleyes:

Maybe you should have a look at the current WA demo and recreate a new one with the same content, but updated with the latest beta fixes and features.
Although, if PNG support is in there, some people who have no interest in offline missions could technically get a free WA.
I can't remember how many weapons and schemes the old demo had unlocked, but restrictions would be good, I think.

Since I don't know, was the WA demo restricted to a certain demo server or channel?

Iirc, just prevent offline skirmish (with more then 1 human player) and online games. granted a demo that can play replay files would likely either not be able to play ones using BIT maps (only play PNG map replays) or include all the different soils and stuff.

robowurmz
6 May 2009, 16:45

Taking that idea and running with it, would it be easier to have them install a replay viewer instead? As a separate entity?

GreeN
6 May 2009, 16:54
A "replay viewer" would need the full worms database (Engine, sounds, images etc.) to play the replays anyway

franpa
7 May 2009, 00:16
Yep, unless they restrict it to PNG maps only. Then they can cut out the soil and terrain objects and reduce the size of the demo a notable amount.

Koen-ftw
7 May 2009, 00:57
Yep, unless they restrict it to PNG maps only. Then they can cut out the soil and terrain objects and reduce the size of the demo a notable amount.

That's silly. The needed objects in the DATA folder are only 24mb. Leaving out the music and limiting the speech should be able to make a demo under 35MB, and that's not a lot for today's standards.

GreeN
7 May 2009, 03:29
Not to mention the fact (Not really a fact) that PNG maps are probably only used in about 10% of all games (Non-rope) played at the moment

franpa
7 May 2009, 05:05
That's silly. The needed objects in the DATA folder are only 24mb. Leaving out the music and limiting the speech should be able to make a demo under 35MB, and that's not a lot for today's standards.

It reduces the demo size + makes it hard to crack the game to be fully functional as all the code pertaining to the soil and objects could be stripped from the EXE as well. keeping everything just makes it poorly easy for people to crack :/

It is hard to find a registered copy of Dweep Gold leaked on the internet but not that hard to find cracked copies. The problem with cracked copies is that it allows you to play every level but you still can't actually use any of the new items on the registered maps making most/all impossible to complete.

CyberShadow
7 May 2009, 05:13
This is a pointless discussion arguing on a moot point. Soil textures are required to play Quick CPU games, the only kind of game available in the demo. Including them does not make "cracking" easier because the network and other code will not be present in the executable.

robowurmz
7 May 2009, 07:44
And of course no code to be able to actually start a game with user input.

CyberShadow
7 May 2009, 09:30
We're talking about the demo, not a screensaver. Unless you mean "input" as configuration?

robowurmz
7 May 2009, 17:08
I meant input as taking control of worms... I was still thinking of a standalone replay viewer.

Clavius_SA
18 May 2009, 15:24
There's a crapload of videos with voice commentary of various games and scheme on my viddler account (http://www.viddler.com/Clavius/videos/). There's a lot of other videos on there but I don't have a full list of links at hand. They're not pro but they're entertaining, much more important.

Plutonic
18 May 2009, 21:08
The original demo contained quick play and 2 missions ("Cool as ice" and "chateau assasin"), and I vaugly remember being able to play offline multiplayer on Cars and... something else... may have been Polar, in which case we probably didnt get cool as ice. Far too long ago to remember.

Edit: Just checked, allowed:
Quickplay.
Offline multiplayer on Cars and Horny with what looks like the full wormage scheme?
Missions: Cold as Ice, Sand in your Eye and Chateau Assasin.
Training: Rifle Range and Crazy Crates.
LAN play.

Scrub555
20 May 2009, 10:01
There's a crapload of videos with voice commentary of various games and scheme on my viddler account (http://www.viddler.com/Clavius/videos/). There's a lot of other videos on there but I don't have a full list of links at hand. They're not pro but they're entertaining, much more important.

link doesn't work, http://www.viddler.com/explore/Clavius/videos/ ;)