PDA

View Full Version : snooper plug in for pidgin chat client. would some one make it?

b1llygo4t
5 May 2009, 01:32
then your wormy buddies would show up in your pidgin buddy list
it would be extra neat if you could join and host games with it

pidgin can already connect to irc, and you can use perl script language to make plug ins for it

http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Scripting%20and%20Plugins

pidgin is an awsome chat client that uses multiple platforms (msn, aim, etc.). you can even use it as a front end for skype

i have no programing skils or i would do it

franpa
5 May 2009, 02:40
probably not going to happen if the source code for the scripts need to be released, as you need a password for the WormNET IRC.

Dario
5 May 2009, 03:21
It would be cool for me if it wasn't because pidgin causes me terrible screen lags.

franpa
5 May 2009, 03:36
It would be cool for me if it wasn't because pidgin causes me terrible screen lags.

Since you don't run Pidgin in conjunction with W:A, your comment is moot/pointless because your not forced to use pidgin if the features were introduced.

Wormetti
5 May 2009, 07:54
Since you don't run Pidgin in conjunction with W:A, your comment is moot/pointless because your not forced to use pidgin if the features were introduced.

People would use it in conjuction with WA if it had a snooper, so if it causes lag then it wouldn't make a good snooper.

probably not going to happen if the source code for the scripts need to be released, as you need a password for the WormNET IRC.

There are already open source snoopers and anyone smart enough to make a snooper would already know they can get the password without the source. It's far more likely not to happen just because no one is interested in coding it and there are already many snoopers.

Muzer
5 May 2009, 20:29
Nope. You can join WormNET with Pidgin fine with the secret password, without any plug-ins. It's the hosting/joining games he wants to know, which is Not a secret (http://worms2d.info/WormNET_(Worms_Armageddon)), and is in fact very (http://download.rndware.info/ProSnooper200b202src.zip) much (http://lookias.freehostia.de/The%20Wheat%20Snooper_src.7z) open (http://worms.thecybershadow.net/mywormnet/mywormnet.zip) if you look around.

Also, how the hell did b1llygo4t get the password? Obviously somebody's not showind any discretion between annoying people and non-annoying people...

b1llygo4t
5 May 2009, 22:24
i didnt have the password until i read all the recent posts and searched for it. there was no indication given that i ever had it. please read before posting

also thanks for labeling me as annoying. love you too muzer

pidgin is open source. also there is nothing forcing the plug ins to be either open or closed source.

i never experience lag from pidgin running on my system even with prosnooper, and wa running , and it is much more light weight than all name brand chat clients

C#, Perl, Python, Tcl languages can be used to make plug ins for it

the plug in should bypass all that logging into irc (4 windows!) as well as allow hosting and joining

with all the features and stability pidgin already has i think it would blow all the other snoopers out of the water, and having one chat client open vs having any combination of more than one is just a redundant comparison. and it sounds like a very easy endeavor for someone skilled with any of those languages since muzer just droped all the info on us.

Muzer
5 May 2009, 23:13
i didnt have the password until i read all the recent posts and searched for it. there was no indication given that i ever had it. please read before posting

also thanks for labeling me as annoying. love you too muzer
Heh, sorry about that, I just tend to label people with bad grammar as annoying and ignorant (which is usually the case but there are a few exceptions). If you did find it at least the latter is obviously not the case; in general the rule is if you can find it you deserve to have it. Unless you don't actually have it, but this last post of yours seemed to make a lot of sense and be intelligent, so well done with that ;)

You do realise that in most clients, and I believe Pidgin too, you can set it to autojoin an IRC server and channel (bypassing the four windows). Although if this is going to be a plugin "for the masses", I believe it would have to automatically join WormNET. It would probably have to store the password in config files, but again, people clever enough to think about looking in there probably deserve it (although this one is pushing it a bit, looking in a config file is hardly genius).

I personally use xchat, and it has served me very well indeed. I'm not sure how possible a plugin would be for that as there isn't much user interaction in xchat plugins.

But, back to the topic at hand, I do believe a pidgin plugin would be possible, but I have far too many coding and school projects I'm in the middle of at the moment to even think about starting another. Maybe once stuff has died down a bit I'll give it a go if nobody else already has.

(And by the way, those three links are sources to two snoopers and MyWormNET, which should provide adequate info on how the W:A host/join system works, and you'll be able to find the wormNET IRC password burried in any of those three, too. The first link is just the WKB page which has the basic info but not enought to write a snooper plugin with)

GreeN
6 May 2009, 00:54
Muzer, you are the definition of patronisation xD

franpa
6 May 2009, 02:33
But, back to the topic at hand, I do believe a pidgin plugin would be possible, but I have far too many coding and school projects I'm in the middle of at the moment to even think about starting another. Maybe once stuff has died down a bit I'll give it a go if nobody else already has.
Don't forget to update your Quickquote+ for Firefox too ;)

b1llygo4t
6 May 2009, 02:56
sorry sometimes i drink a bit o rum and cola when i play worms, its understandable not to take a half legible post seriously (i do abuse spell check XP).tnx for your patronage

another thing that would make this really cool would be the ability to select which wk modules to load when hosting or joining games

another perk to this plug in would be having access to gamesurge and the other worm irc rooms(call me dumb, do you guys just direct connect when you play there? i visited but no one talked to me:() in the same app at the same time. maybe the plug in could also some how incorporate hosting with the other irc channels(all assumption)

all that combined with the skype plug in (just a front end atm) would be a very complete package.

someone with scripting knowledge should take a wack at this.

(p.s. muzer do those jerk offs that make anti virus pro xp 2008 deserve to do what they do because they figured it out? just conversation)

GreeN
6 May 2009, 16:44
(p.s. muzer do those jerk offs that make anti virus pro xp 2008 deserve to do what they do because they figured it out? just conversation)

Don't take it to heart, billy; If I recall correctly, Muzer first obtained the password after someone shared it with him anyway ;)

Muzer
6 May 2009, 17:30
Don't take it to heart, billy; If I recall correctly, Muzer first obtained the password after someone shared it with him anyway http://forum.team17.co.uk/images/newsmilies/wink.gif
Lol, did you even read his message?

GreeN
6 May 2009, 17:37
I'm not here to read, only to poke fun xD

mb777
9 May 2009, 02:50
I would write a plugin if I knew how! I really wanted to write one for miranda. I think it would be a great idea. Coz then you would not need any other snooper, and you would have everything in one package.

I don't understand how to connect to the server, and about packets and winsock. I use visual basic 2008, but am learning Visual C++. I could pick up C#. I just need help with the process of connecting to the server, and exactly what you have to do.

Everywhere I have looked on the internet, it seems really complex.