PDA

View Full Version : fiddler black screen

hamz10
22 Apr 2009, 12:37
when i used fiddler on wa v3.0.0.0 every time i press start match it say ready but it goes into a black screen please help.;)

Ed Webb
22 Apr 2009, 17:34
There could be several reasons for this, hamz10.

First of all, do you have Fiddler 4.0, or 4.01? If the former, you can download the latest version from the Wormsmart (http://maz.me.uk/wormsmart/) website.

If the latter, check to see if you have Silkworm.dll in your Worms Armageddon directory with the wa v3.0.0.0. The 4.01 zip file have the Silkworm files in the wrong directory, which is a mistake on my part. If it isn't there, copy the files into the W:A directory and run Silkworm_patch.exe.

Fiddler works with most CD-based versions of the game, but doesn't work on all versions. If you've downloaded the game, it might not work.

Fiddler might also have a hex-error message after patching. If there's a message in Fiddler's patching message box saying xxxxxxxx (where x are numbers and letters A-F), then it wasn't able to patch properly.

Other things such as OS, W:A exe filename can also cause this. If you aren't able to get Fiddler to run, list things such as your OS, Fiddler version etc, and I'll see what I can do from there.

Explorer
2 May 2009, 10:02
Off-topic, but I think the version 4.0 of The Fiddler is better than the version 4.01. Because:

1. v4.01 removed the password protection feature from v4.0.

2. v4.01 looks for "WA30" value instead of "PATH" value in the WA registry, and "30.exe" instead of "WA.exe" on the filename. This makes the new version a little more difficult to set up.

bonz
2 May 2009, 17:29
Off-topic, but I think the version 4.0 of The Fiddler is better than the version 4.01. Because:
No, because:
1. v4.01 removed the password protection feature from v4.0.
Passwords in Fiddles could be cracked easily anyway.
2. v4.01 looks for "WA30" value instead of "PATH" value in the WA registry, and "30.exe" instead of "WA.exe" on the filename. This makes the new version a little more difficult to set up.
Editing a registry value requires an additional program to be run and a little more background knowledge. Also, you have to install the game twice.
In v4.01 you only need to copy and rename the wa.exe to 30.exe before patching with any betas. Also, the Silkworm patch has been included in the installation.

(Not to speak of the removed dead links on the main menu.)