PDA

View Full Version : Help needed connecting to wormnet.

bushdoc
21 Apr 2009, 14:07
Hi,

I play as KiN and only just started playing again after a year break.
Installed the latest update and used Wormnat to host games for the first time in years and everything worked great for a few days. I was delighted, thanks for making wormkit.

However I started having trouble connecting to wormnet and initially I managed to fix this by restarting my E220Huawei Vodafone VCMLite USB 2G modem(one of the reasons I can't host normally), sometimes it would require a few restarts but eventually it would connect to wormnet. The modem works fine for everything else just a little slow.

Now this fix has stopped working so I am stuck at the blue connecting screen where you normally see the game lobbys but mine aren't there, the stars are still falling and if i click on wormnet sign there is a dur sound not a ding :),it stays like this for ever, all I can do is exit. I dont get any errors it just seems like my modem can't see the lobbys. If i disconnect the modem and try wormnet I obviously get the connection error.

So I uninstalled and then cleaned all cookies, hunted around in the registry for any worms stuff and deleted anything I could find related to worms and tried a fresh install.

It all installs fine but I just can't get onto wormnet, doesn't matter if its patched or unpatched.
One thing I noticed is that my username is still somehow saved in the in game network settings even after a fresh install. Im wondering if i could somehow find where this file is on my pc that saves these settings and delete it that maybe my modem would find the game lobby again.

I think I have tried everything and im left scratching my head, havent been able to connect for about a week now.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks KiN

(got to go out now so wont be about until later)

CyberShadow
21 Apr 2009, 15:11
Your username and a few other settings are stored in C:\Windows\win.ini (but it's also used by Windows and some other applications, so don't delete it).

Try doing the following:
Open a command prompt (Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt) and type:
telnet wormnet1.team17.com 6667
You should either get a blank screen or error message. Make note of whatever you see and post it here.

bushdoc
22 Apr 2009, 10:55
Ok i put that in the command prompt and it said
'telnet' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

The prompt looked like this, was that right?
C:\Users\Kin>telnet wormnet1.team17.com 6667

Thanks for your help.

Will just add that im running windows vista, although obviously had it working fine.

Thanks again

CyberShadow
22 Apr 2009, 11:00
Please install the Telnet client first. You can do it from "Programs and Features" under Control Panel.

bushdoc
22 Apr 2009, 11:34
Ok this is what i get,
ERROR :closing Link: [unknown@255.255.255.255] <Connection Timed Out>

Connection to host lost.

Thanks again

Out again now but be back later.

CyberShadow
22 Apr 2009, 12:29
Well, you can connect to the WormNET IRC server, so your router is probably cutting the connection. I could tell you more if you post a Wireshark (http://www.wireshark.org/) packet log, but I don't know if it'll actually help solve your problem.

QuadHammer
1 May 2009, 07:53
Hi,

Now this fix has stopped working so I am stuck at the blue connecting screen where you normally see the game lobbys but mine aren't there, the stars are still falling and if i click on wormnet sign there is a dur sound not a ding :),it stays like this for ever, all I can do is exit. I dont get any errors it just seems like my modem can't see the lobbys. If i disconnect the modem and try wormnet I obviously get the connection error.

I'm getting the same error. The router settings haven't changed but just to double check I port forwarded 6667 and it still times out under telnet.

Pinging wormnet1.team17.com (or 195.89.193.89, its supposed IP) is unreachable too. Everything else on the net works fine for me.

CyberShadow
1 May 2009, 11:05
If the command "telnet wormnet1.team17.com 6667" gives you an error message, you will need to contact your ISP or network administrator and tell them that you can't connect to wormnet1.team17.com on TCP port 6667. Note that it may be common practice on some corporate or university networks to block IRC activity (traffic to TCP port 6667). Pinging isn't supposed to work since the Team17 firewall drops ICMP ping packets.

QuadHammer
2 May 2009, 05:30
Today Wormnet is working for the first time in about a fortnight, but trying to telnet gives this:

"ERROR :closing Link: [unknown@255.255.255.255] <Connection Timed Out>

Connection to host lost."

No changes on my end, so I dunno what's going on. Glad it's working though.

Edit: I found the reason was Peerguardian. It automatically updated to block 'Main Offices, Yorkshire', without me realising...d'oh.

Thanks for your help.

ps, I still get the error above telneting even now everything's working.

CyberShadow
2 May 2009, 05:52
That error message means the connection was successful :)

Muzer
2 May 2009, 08:55
Edit: I found the reason was Peerguardian. It automatically updated to block 'Main Offices, Yorkshire', without me realising...d'oh.

LOL! Are they anti-Yorkshire then? :p

bushdoc
14 May 2009, 11:01
K just an update to this,
I forgot about worms as it wouldn't work and tried it again yesterday and it worked! Not sure why or how. Tried the command prompt again and it still comes up with same error even though i can now connect. Strange.