PDA

View Full Version : feature request: wkF12.dll

Gnork
1 Apr 2009, 19:13
Wassup :p

I wondered if anybody out there would be so kind to make a nice little wormkit module to take care of the utterly annoying F12 problem. When I mention that key, I guess I don't have to explain anymore what the module should do. But just in case you still wonder - it should make sure when F12 is pressed ONCE, that the FIRST thing to be there should be WormSelect (no matter how many items are present at F12).

NO - I don't want to use any external macro tool for it, I hate those and find it very annoying when I see such exploits being used to drop gazillion mines onto a map. This module should be solely for the annoying F12 poblem.

Many people would be able to finally enjoy a game without accidentally pressing the Surrender key............. God i HATE that combi.... pfff....

YES I know it can be solved in a next beta... yes I also know a wk module like this would probably be so easy to make that we could benefit from it this evening already... xD

Malevol3nt
1 Apr 2009, 20:38
Ah cmon, would take like a nanosecond to make a script to make F12 trigger select. Easier then making a wormkit module.

But I'm in a game right now so.. :p

Gnork
2 Apr 2009, 18:16
Ah cmon, would take like a nanosecond to make a script to make F12 trigger select. Easier then making a wormkit module.

But I'm in a game right now so.. :p

sOoo... where is it... still in a game? -.- and i dont wanna have to install another program just for this thing. Gimme an wkF12.dll hehehe

yakuza
2 Apr 2009, 18:41
YEAH MAN, someone should also make a wKretards module, for everytime I miss a nade it hits and stuff.

Gnork
2 Apr 2009, 19:58
YEAH MAN, someone should also make a wKretards module, for everytime I miss a nade it hits and stuff.

I appreciate you wanna show the world once again how perfect you are (since my #care level for that is about -10), but I'm sure even you get very distressed when in the heat of a game you press the retarded key combination wrong. :)

Dario
2 Apr 2009, 20:19
I agree with you Gnork (also in an implicit way), this f12 key getting stuck and ruining rounds has happened to me and some people I've played with, and although it is rather unusual it is a small detail that will make gameplay just a bit better with almost no effort (if it is as easy as you say it is).

Gnork
2 Apr 2009, 20:26
I agree with you Gnork (also in an implicit way), this f12 key getting stuck and ruining rounds has happened to me and some people I've played with, and although it is rather unusual it is a small detail that will make gameplay just a bit better with almost no effort (if it is as easy as you say it is).

"Ruining round" if you're lucky enough to accidentally press Skip instead of Surrender... *sight.. rh just for something annoying like that... murgh :(

- or would wkDisableSurrender.dll be even better? :)

robowurmz
2 Apr 2009, 20:32
Not many people actually use Surrender anyway.
But the thought of disabling it makes my soul itch.

GreeN
2 Apr 2009, 20:46
Maybe only disable the keyboard shortcut for surrender?

Gnork
2 Apr 2009, 21:55
I'm just asking for F12 having SelectWorm popping up at first choice, so that surrender or skip are not in the way (like they are now). :)

yakuza
2 Apr 2009, 22:21
My point is, why should all the people that can do it properly have to get used to a new way because you cannot adapt after 10 years?

GreeN
2 Apr 2009, 22:41
He's only requesting a Wormkit module, I'm sure there are plenty who'd benefit from adapting to it

Malevol3nt
3 Apr 2009, 01:34
My point is, why should all the people that can do it properly have to get used to a new way because you cannot adapt after 10 years?

For your information you don't have to use a wormkit module if you don't install it. Hence people will not have to get used to a "new" layout if they do not wish so.

Get it?

Gnork
3 Apr 2009, 09:41

because I cannot what? ok that's it yakuza. you are on my ignore list. i'm done with you. sick idiot. get some manners.

bonz
3 Apr 2009, 10:02
What's so bad about surrendering anyway?
You can afterwards always say that you might have beat him (if it wasn't too obvious already that you would have lost) and tease him.
I think you're just disgruntled because you still haven't adapted to the Rubberworm and Project X modules, that the respective authors have made you get used to and you don't want to learn another one.

Sigh! :rolleyes:
You really just answer to posts for the sake of objecting to its content, don't you?

Gnork
3 Apr 2009, 10:10
For the info - there are several games which require you to use wormselect EVERY turn, and usually two times as well. Pushing the wrong button when things get tense during time limitations is something which occurs quite often. I'd say I have to roughly rehost 20 - 25% of those games simply because somebodies keyboard didn't catch up the too quickly pressed F12 combi with spacebar... and surrendered instead of went to the next worm... and it is SO fkn annoying. Does that give enough reason now? No, i was not talking about other circumstances when you hardly use the wormselect and can't find it.

yakuza
3 Apr 2009, 10:34
I think you're just disgruntled because you still haven't adapted to the Rubberworm and Project X modules, that the respective authors have made you get used to and you don't want to learn another one.

Oh really, and in what do you base your missinformed assumptions? I've seen more changes in Worms than any of you here, and I never had a problem adapting, I will however voice my opinion when I consider it oportune, even if I fail to read properly. Don't you just love making **** up.

Sigh! :rolleyes:
You really just answer to posts for the sake of objecting to its content, don't you?

Yes, I made a honest mistake by thinking he was asking for a feature rather than an optional module, and you're the 4th person that has lectured me about it, so instead of asking me, ask yourself, you really just answer to posts because you enjoy being the echo, right?

sick idiot. get some manners.
I'm religious but **** god.

Malevol3nt
3 Apr 2009, 11:16
*prod's yakuza's malfunctioning brain*

Hmm nope, still not working.

yakuza
3 Apr 2009, 11:59
*prod's yakuza's malfunctioning brain*

Hmm nope, still not working.

Hahahahahahahahahaa, so now is when I tell you to stfu noob or what?

Gnork
3 Apr 2009, 12:18
*disables /ignore for a sec

Which part of 'Get a 1 way ticket to the sun and burn for eternity while leaving a kindly asked serious request for something annoying alone' did you not understand?

*enables /ignore again

yakuza
3 Apr 2009, 12:23
*disables /ignore for a sec

Which part of 'Get a 1 way ticket to the sun and burn for eternity while leaving a kindly asked serious request for something annoying alone' did you not understand?

*enables /ignore again

Sorry can you repeat what you've just said? I wasn't paying attention

lDarKl
3 Apr 2009, 13:34
Guys. :rolleyes:

bonz
3 Apr 2009, 14:21
Oh really, and in what do you base your missinformed assumptions? I've seen more changes in Worms than any of you here, and I never had a problem adapting, I will however voice my opinion when I consider it oportune, even if I fail to read properly. Don't you just love making **** up.
I should have clarified that my "assumption" was a joke. :-/
I tried to make fun of you obviously overlooking the fact that Gnork was requesting a WormKit module not a feature.
WormKit modules of course are not forced upon the players, you deliberately activate them.

BTW, even when such a change to the F12 key (or any other) would get made, I think it'll be optional.
IIRC, customizable key layouts are still a planned feature, which would allow for changing the F12 key, but if such a feature comes with a new update, it'll still maintain the default layout.
No worries!
Yes, I made a honest mistake by thinking he was asking for a feature rather than an optional module, and you're the 4th person that has lectured me about it, so instead of asking me, ask yourself, you really just answer to posts because you enjoy being the echo, right?
Yes, I really just answer to posts because I enjoy being the echo. :D

Now can we please stop this and wait until someone has coded a wKF12.dll to force it down yakuza's throat? ;)

Gnork
6 Apr 2009, 19:31
Now can we please stop this and wait until someone has coded a wKF12.dll to force it down yakuza's throat? ;)

Yes, please :)
It happened 100% last weekend.. so had to rehost 3 out of 3 games that evening...

franpa
7 Apr 2009, 05:27
So...

1) tapping F12 any number of times will select either Skip Worm or Worm Select?
2) Holding down F12 for 3 seconds or something will select Surrender?

Gnork
7 Apr 2009, 10:01
So...

1) tapping F12 any number of times will select either Skip Worm or Worm Select?
2) Holding down F12 for 3 seconds or something will select Surrender?

hmmm... better:

pressing F12 once will give WormsSelect (if available in scheme)
pressing it again cycles through the rest of the options

Shirdel
7 Apr 2009, 10:05
Sorry about going off-topic for a second, but I just have to stop these two getting themselves banned.
Gnork: Keep Yakuza Blocked, if it'll make you happy. And make sure you don't unblock him. Or Spadge might unleash the power of Mr. Volc upon you.

Yakuza: Just shut up, for your own good. I don't really want you banned. You're funny. (in some ways)

ANYWAY.

As far as I can tell, I'm fine with the Worm Select options.
But just for you lot, I have made a VERY Mind-Breaking and Beduzziling (not) Graph to show how to fix this problem.
Currently, the F12 Bar is shown as this:
Skip Go > Surrender > Worm Select > Magic Bullet, etc.
We could change that to either:
Worm Select > Skip Go > Surrender > Other
Or:
Worm Select > Surrender > Skip Go > ?
Or even:
Surrender > Worm Select > Skip Go > WTF!
Or maybe even:
Surrender > Skip Go > Worm Select > What?
Or just do Franpa's suggestion. Which would probably be better. :(

yakuza
7 Apr 2009, 10:45
Yakuza: Just shut up, for your own good. I don't really want you banned. You're funny. (in some ways)

I love how after 4 days of not saying a word someone comes and tells me to shut up.

Another noob who wants a piece of the action.

Gnork
7 Apr 2009, 11:34
Gnork: Keep Yakuza Blocked, if it'll make you happy.

Don't worry, he'll be on there forever. And I can't quite understand why he actually hasn't been blocked for a LONG time already. :confused:

ANYWAY.

As far as I can tell, I'm fine with the Worm Select options.
But just for you lot, I have made a VERY Mind-Breaking and Beduzziling (not) Graph to show how to fix this problem.
Currently, the F12 Bar is shown as this:
Skip Go > Surrender > Worm Select > Magic Bullet, etc.
We could change that to either:
Worm Select > Skip Go > Surrender > Other
Or:
Worm Select > Surrender > Skip Go > ?
Or even:
Surrender > Worm Select > Skip Go > WTF!
Or maybe even:
Surrender > Skip Go > Worm Select > What?
Or just do Franpa's suggestion. Which would probably be better. :(

WormSelect and Surrender should NEVER EVER be next to each other. :eek: Best to have your first option, so Worm Select > Skip Go > Surrender > Other :cool:

raffie
7 Apr 2009, 12:18
I haven't used the F12 key in my entire worms carreer xD

Surrender shouldn't be accessible by a shortcut key though, no point in it anyway. Perhaps even better to code in the next beta that it doesn't appear in the F12 cycle.

MihaiS_v2
7 Apr 2009, 15:23
I haven't used the F12 key in my entire worms carreer xD

Surrender shouldn't be accessible by a shortcut key though, no point in it anyway. Perhaps even better to code in the next beta that it doesn't appear in the F12 cycle.

If you want to restart a game without re-hosting, surrendering is the only way.

Metal Alex
7 Apr 2009, 16:23
yakuza, you fail to be.

Wormkit module means that some people can have it, some others don't. It doesn't affect you at all, and will never do. Coming here to insult people on how stupid they are for making mistakes is something that scapes my thoughts. I'm sure you never make mistakes, and you are perfect, but let all the other non godly beings alone, if you don't mind.

yakuza
7 Apr 2009, 16:49
Yeah man, thanks for the news. Now read the thread before making a post or reviving an argument long dead.

lDarKl
7 Apr 2009, 17:04
Who's Shirdel?

KRD
7 Apr 2009, 19:05
Wormkit module means that some people can have it, some others don't. It doesn't affect you at all, and will never do. Coming here to insult people on how stupid they are for making mistakes is something that scapes my thoughts. I'm sure you never make mistakes, and you are perfect, but let all the other non godly beings alone, if you don't mind.

And yet...

I really don't see why you aren't pestering the creator of the WormKit module that introduces the problem in the first place about this. The rest of us really don't need optimisations for an unofficial mode of play in the official update; not least of all because some of us may consider it a skill not to accidentally surrender in the middle of a game.

raffie
7 Apr 2009, 19:16
If you want to restart a game without re-hosting, surrendering is the only way.
Point being? I said it shouldn't be accessible via shortcut. Read be4 replying plz...

I really don't see why you aren't pestering the creator of the WormKit module that introduces the problem in the first place about this.
No idea what u on about. Selecting surrender via shortcut by accident (when you want select for example) can be done in any old game.

not least of all because some of us may consider it a skill not to accidentally surrender in the middle of a game.
What else would you consider a skill I have to wonder. Being able to NOT accidentally press the reset button during play? NOT fall off your chair during play?

GreeN
7 Apr 2009, 19:52
What else would you consider a skill I have to wonder. Being able to NOT accidentally press the reset button during play? NOT fall off your chair during play?

In the sense that selecting Worm Select in a very tightly restricted amount of remaining turn time, it could be considered skill-worthy being very specific with your key presses. Maybe even more so if the utility* is used numerous times within a single turn.

*Or whatever you want to call it

Gnork
7 Apr 2009, 20:01
For the info - there are several games which require you to use wormselect EVERY turn, and usually two times as well. Pushing the wrong button when things get tense during time limitations is something which occurs quite often.
Meaning your 'skill not to accidentally surrender in the middle of a game' is being tested way more often than it ever used to be in any other game.

Yes, please :)
It happened 100% last weekend.. so had to rehost 3 out of 3 games that evening...

And yet...
etc.

I'm introducing the request for a simple wkmodule because new map creations are now pointing out this particular problem (I'd prefer to call it design bug) in the weapons table.

Go play map:

http://www.wmdb.org/8737
http://www.wmdb.org/8721
http://www.wmdb.org/8653
http://www.wmdb.org/8542
http://www.wmdb.org/7485
http://www.wmdb.org/7397
http://www.wmdb.org/7380

and find out for yourself.

Many people will benefit from it. Please now stop accusing everybody who misses a keystroke a noob without skills. Keystrokes for ending a game should never be near any other game keys. Give me one other example, like some bad written Quake clone, where pressing a weapon key is also combined with the quit game key. That would be unimaginable. I think people have been scared to make similar maps as above, simply because of the weird place where WormSelect is.

robowurmz
7 Apr 2009, 20:53
Look, you want a Wormkit module?

Code it yourself and stop wasting our time.

Melon
7 Apr 2009, 21:19
Be fair, not everyone knows how to make a wormkit module. In fact, I'd say that very very few people here could.

Maybe the easiest solution would be an official "tweak" that disables surrender being selected via the F12 key (you could still select it via right click). I don't know if a local optional thing like that would be deemed as unfair though.

AndrewTaylor
7 Apr 2009, 22:19
Meaning your 'skill not to accidentally surrender in the middle of a game' is being tested way more often than it ever used to be in any other game.
To be honest, I don't think testing that 'skill' is one of the more appealing aspects of the game.

Also, yakuza, the only reason you haven't got infraction points is because I can't be bothered. Please act as if you have got some for a bit. Rest assured I will be treating you as if you have.

Gnork
7 Apr 2009, 23:14
To be honest, I don't think testing that 'skill' is one of the more appealing aspects of the game.

There would be no need for any 'skill' if the situation in the weapons panel wouldn't be so odd at F12 ;)
I didn't make those maps to 'test any skill at using F12'... I just stumbled across something that turns out to be annoying when having to use that key more often. It's like a minor bug being hidden somewhere and you can only find it after a closer investigation.

Metal Alex
7 Apr 2009, 23:14
Yeah man, thanks for the news. Now read the thread before making a post or reviving an argument long dead.

That you of course have no problem in reviving calling anyone a noob, and all. Feel free to reply to this! I don't really care :D

Also, KRD, sorry, but I don't quite get what you mean... I'm just saying that if you want it, use it. You don't want it? don't use it. If such a module existed, there'd be no difference ingame.

...Unless it caused desynchs in a online game, wich would have to be tweaked.

mb777
8 Apr 2009, 01:08
I think it should be :

Wormselect >> Magic Bullet >> Freeze >> skip go >> surrender

I would do it, but I don't know how:

(a) To make Wormkit load the program

(b) To hack into the worms program to change it like that.

(it would only be a simple send key program)

franpa
8 Apr 2009, 05:24
I really don't see why you aren't pestering the creator of the WormKit module that introduces the problem in the first place about this.
The F12 issue was present before Cybershadow became a member of the delevopment team, right?

just make it you have to right click and choose surrender rather then have it present when pressing F12.

yakuza
8 Apr 2009, 08:15

Also, yakuza, the only reason you haven't got infraction points is because I can't be bothered. Please act as if you have got some for a bit. Rest assured I will be treating you as if you have.

Well, what am I supposed to do? I admited I made a mistake, and yet people kept bringing my name up saying the same thing over and over as if they wanted to share the feeling of being the forum moral authority.

GreeN
8 Apr 2009, 14:53
Well, what am I supposed to do? I admited I made a mistake, and yet people kept bringing my name up saying the same thing over and over as if they wanted to share the feeling of being the forum moral authority.

Acknowledging them only portrayed a wish to defend your self-moral in the eyes of other members who have already chosen not reply to the subject or have (Or have not) read the whole thread already.

Sit back and laugh quietly :D

KRD
9 Apr 2009, 11:40
Also, KRD, sorry, but I don't quite get what you mean... I'm just saying that if you want it, use it. You don't want it? don't use it. If such a module existed, there'd be no difference ingame.

I'm just saying there's a good chance the people who would end up using and liking such a WormKit module would eventually come back here and ask for it being implemented as an official tweak, splitting WormNet's players into two. Yakuza and I may not be around then to publicly doubt in the long term benefits of such a change, minor as it may be. In short, it's a matter of principles; some people adapt while others seek ways around a problem. I honestly believe that in this case, adapting would be the better option for everyone involved.

:p

CyberShadow
9 Apr 2009, 12:02
The Beta ReadMe lists "It is too easy to accidentally Surrender" as a known playability issue.

I think it's possible to resolve this problem without affecting the order of the F12 weapon row - we just need to make firing the Surrender weapon not that trivial. For example, the player would need to hold down Space for a second or two. A message and progress bar can be displayed above the worm to make this intuitive. The timer should be paused while the Space is being held down, just like when firing a Bazooka/Grenade, to make it possible to surrender in Hysteria games etc.

bonz
9 Apr 2009, 13:25
The Beta ReadMe lists "It is too easy to accidentally Surrender" as a known playability issue.

I think it's possible to resolve this problem without affecting the order of the F12 weapon row - we just need to make firing the Surrender weapon not that trivial. For example, the player would need to hold down Space for a second or two. A message and progress bar can be displayed above the worm to make this intuitive. The timer should be paused while the Space is being held down, just like when firing a Bazooka/Grenade, to make it possible to surrender in Hysteria games etc.
Nice approach.
But what would happen if a player holds the button long enough to pause the timer and start the surrender "countdown sequence", but releases it before it actually gets activated and then starts over again?
People could use this to near perpetually halt the game for others with the timer counting only for fractions in between.

Gnork
9 Apr 2009, 13:28
Nice approach.
But what would happen if a player holds the button long enough to pause the timer and start the surrender "countdown sequence", but releases it before it actually gets activated and then starts over again?
People could use this to near perpetually halt the game for others with the timer counting only for fractions in between.

And what would be the point in doing that, other than messing somebody's game up and getting kicked at next game?

bonz
9 Apr 2009, 13:34
And what would be the point in doing that, other than messing somebody's game up and getting kicked at next game?
You really ask that question?
You should ask it all the morons on WormNet that love to spam, flood and crash all day long and stalk people.
Doubletime comes to my mind... :rolleyes:

Plasma
9 Apr 2009, 13:35
Sounds like a good idea to me, CyberMoon.

Gnork
9 Apr 2009, 13:58
You really ask that question?
You should ask it all the morons on WormNet that love to spam, flood and crash all day long and stalk people.
Doubletime comes to my mind... :rolleyes:

Those ppl do not play in my games, and if they do it's just for once xD
Morons will always be around...

Gnork
9 Apr 2009, 14:00

Sounds great. If Surrender takes as much time as charging a zook to full power and back again, it's a deal I guess. :p The progress bar above worms would be a finishing touch. The timer should not be paused, it should just reset I think. Like with a normal zook as well?

Dario
9 Apr 2009, 14:43
Cybershadow: I like the idea

Bonz: you can do the same by firing the ninja rope into the air constantly, but I don't see a lot of people doing it

KRD:
-Is the default scheme (the one used in death-match games) a non-official way of playing? Because that one would get a small benefit from this wk.
-It is a "skill" (one I am particularly good at) but I don't think it's fair to the people with "keyboard bad luck".
Also most honest players I've heard talking about this issue just don't accept an opponent's accidental surrendering as a victory for them, so it just ruins the game.

And honestly, if they added another wormkit module to prevent the worm from shooting bazooka after you activate worm-select simply because the space bar got jammed I'd be even happier, because having a space bar that doesn't get jammed is not a skill. For example having to press any key (except tab of course) before the active worm can shoot could be good, considering that normally the first thing you do after selecting a worm is walking, jumping, aiming, or selecting another weapon, so this change wouldn't affect the game-play, it would just prevent keyboard accidents.

CyberShadow
9 Apr 2009, 14:53
Nice approach.
People could use this to near perpetually halt the game for others with the timer counting only for fractions in between.This isn't any worse than continuously firing the rope in the air, a known exploit.The timer should not be paused, it should just reset I think. Like with a normal zook as well?What do you mean? The game timer pauses when you fire the Bazooka, normally.

franpa
9 Apr 2009, 15:15
maybe have it so that turn time continues to count while "charging" surrender? Have it count as a surrender if your "charging" it when your turn ends? yea that idea doesn't help much in the case of short game modes like hysteria :/

Gnork
9 Apr 2009, 16:02
What do you mean? The game timer pauses when you fire the Bazooka, normally.
Never mind, I had a brainlag -.-

Malevol3nt
10 Apr 2009, 03:57
I don't even know what genius made that weapon menu layout in the first place hehe.

KRD
10 Apr 2009, 09:07
Colin Surridge, or 'Satan' as we call him is a nice guy really. Now that Worms Armageddon is finished it's time for him to get some sleep.

Careful there. :eek:

bonz
10 Apr 2009, 09:26
I don't even know what genius made that weapon menu layout in the first place hehe.
I'd say it evolved from W1.
Afterwards in W2 and WA/WWP the weapons were simply added equally to all F-key slots and were they fit best in most cases.

They couldn't possibly foresee that one day the worm select could be used more than the banana bomb or the holy handgrenade.
Otherwise they would probably have put it elsewhere.

Gnork
10 Apr 2009, 09:44
I'd say it evolved from W1.
Afterwards in W2 and WA/WWP the weapons were simply added equally to all F-key slots and were they fit best in most cases.

They couldn't possibly foresee that one day the worm select could be used more than the banana bomb or the holy handgrenade.
Otherwise they would probably have put it elsewhere.

Still a weird brainlag to think it's Ok to put a devastating 'Quit key' right in the middle of magic bullets and other 'typical' ingame commands :p

Perhaps more logical would have been finding WormSelect at first slot at the Tilde button, since Tab is used together with WormSelect as well.

bonz
10 Apr 2009, 10:19
Still a weird brainlag to think it's Ok to put a devastating 'Quit key' right in the middle of magic bullets and other 'typical' ingame commands :p
True.
They should have put everything in the appropriate row and left others empty, like they later did in the 3D games.

I think a custom weapon panel layout with adapting width and height would be a nice feature once custom key layouts are implemented.
I.e. if you define the tilde key for Worm Select, it'll automatically be put into the top row and the grid extended by one column.
Perhaps more logical would have been finding WormSelect at first slot at the Tilde button, since Tab is used together with WormSelect as well.
Yes.
Although, the location of that key didn't work as intended on several keyboard layouts anyway until it got patched in the beta.
On the German one it was next to the backspace.

Plasma
10 Apr 2009, 11:37
I'm willing to bet its something to do with them not expecting people to rush their turns on a turn-based strategy game!

Malevol3nt
10 Apr 2009, 16:49
I'm willing to bet its something to do with them not expecting people to rush their turns on a turn-based strategy game!

It's a timed turn based strategy game. Or better put it as a 'queue based' game. You still have to rush since you're running out of time.

Anyway, I don't wanna blame someone for making a game as it is 10 years ago. After all, we have cyber & dc for our feature requests + the average coder here that makes a wkit module every once in a while. ^^

Gnork
12 Apr 2009, 15:22
Hehehe, thanks to my new Command Pad, I made a little macro to take care of the F12 problem.

The macro contains F12 F12 F12 SPACE TAB with keypress duration of 0.05 sec. By the press of a single button, the worm now changes to the next, and it can be done pretty fast as well, as this replay will show you.

edit: downside to this macro: press the command key a bit too fast (meaning: while the F12 sequence is being executed), and you'll have a good chance that you surrender...

MihaiS_v2
12 Apr 2009, 17:39
Do you really need a Command Pad for that macro to run? Couldn't you just assign it to some other key?

Dario
12 Apr 2009, 20:05
I am ok with changing the place of the select worm utility in the weapons pannel, but I am definitely not ok with the use of macros.

Gnork
12 Apr 2009, 23:00
Do you really need a Command Pad for that macro to run? Couldn't you just assign it to some other key?
The software for the keyboard can only program the pad.

I am ok with changing the place of the select worm utility in the weapons pannel, but I am definitely not ok with the use of macros.

Yea, I truly HATE macro's as well. I disgust them, especially the ones around for dropping gazillion mines. It's simply too unfair towards others, who can't drop that many per second.

That's why I've been tweaking my little macro with more time in between the keystrokes (the example you see above in the replay is what was about fastest possible, but I'm not using that because it wasn't stable enough).

Selecting the next worm will now take about 1 second, which is similar to 'manual' keypress. To be honest, I can press it faster myself, but with bigger chances of hitting the damn Surrender key....

I also build in extra safety, the macro now starts with F8, so it selects a rope first. I also need to press the command button twice before it even activates the F12 sequence. So in my case I made sure I'm not any faster than other players - it just makes sure I don't have to rehost as much. I hate weapons abuse, so I tried to patch it as organic as possible for this keyboard.

Attached is a replay of the result.

edit: I've been using it for several games now, and must say it feels like a relief - just the way how it should have been a long time ago. I hope somebody will spend some time into the wkF12.dll so it's reachable for everybody, including me if my pad decides to die. :)

Malevol3nt
13 Apr 2009, 18:52
Well that's nothing dangerous that can change an outcome of a game.

If it was however, that excuse would have been really bad. I mean that would be like saying: "I've got an aimbot for Call of Duty 4, but it doesn't shoot in a millisecond. I've tried to make it look as organic as possible, so actually I'm playing at the same difficulty as everyone else".

I mean switching to Worm select is nothing big, but what about using macro's in rope games? It's a shame we can't do anything about it..

Gnork
13 Apr 2009, 20:47
Well that's nothing dangerous that can change an outcome of a game.

If it was however, that excuse would have been really bad. I mean that would be like saying: "I've got an aimbot for Call of Duty 4, but it doesn't shoot in a millisecond. I've tried to make it look as organic as possible, so actually I'm playing at the same difficulty as everyone else".

*points to the gazillion mines crap. Making an aimbot is something totally different than trying to workaround a problem in order to prevent undesired surrender. :) the outcome feels rather comfortable and natural in gameplay expectation, unlike how it was before: where one ALWAYS needs to pay more than double attention to the little text on top of the screen or the worm animation. At the moment it feels just the same as pressing a key to get a nade, where you get a nade and not a quit of game... That's why I now vote double yes for such a wormkit module being developed for the community.

I mean switching to Worm select is nothing big, but what about using macro's in rope games? It's a shame we can't do anything about it..

Life is a *****. :rolleyes:

boobl
19 Apr 2009, 17:39
Hi.

I second the request of the feature.
My opinion on getting rid of surrender shortcut — just remove it from f12 weapon cycle, but leave it in right-click menu, or put it in Esc menu (with prompt there ofcourse)

*going for some manuals on making wkModules*

Malevol3nt
19 Apr 2009, 18:28
*points to the gazillion mines crap. Making an aimbot is something totally different than trying to workaround a problem in order to prevent undesired surrender. :)

Yeah. But what's with all the "trying to make it look organic"? Seems like a waste of time to me. :p

Gnork
19 Apr 2009, 20:36
Yeah. But what's with all the "trying to make it look organic"? Seems like a waste of time to me. :p

pff.. 5 mins more to optimize some code is a waste of time? Seems like you got a job at M$ lmao

Malevol3nt
19 Apr 2009, 21:15
pff.. 5 mins more to optimize some code is a waste of time? Seems like you got a job at M$ lmao

Nicely done, Sir. :D:D

boobl
21 Apr 2009, 00:52
Hi.

After a night with virtual machine and debugger, I finally made a wkModule that prevents user from choosing 'surrender' by F12 tapping, but still allows to select it through right click menu.

The way it works is quite simple, the module intercepts weapon cycle procedure and checks if next weapon will be 'surrender', in this case it will select the weapon after it (or the first weapon, if 'surrender' was last).

I couldnt find the way of fixing that without modifying the actual code of worms, so this module will only work with v3.6.29.0
If anyone wishes (and I will find the way to rollback to 28) I can make module working with both 28 and 29.

Module checks and doublechecks the worms version, so it wont accidently trash some older version.

Zip with dll is attached. Theres NO source files, because you can find there some info on worms constant and addresses (thats why they dont release source of wkRubber, right), though I may send them to CyberShadow for approval or I dont know what.

CyberShadow
21 Apr 2009, 03:46
Thanks for adding the version check, I get a lot of headache from users who come running to me when Pisto's modules crash new Beta versions :)

boobl
21 Apr 2009, 04:48
Sure, the first thing you have to do when patching.

I wonder if it works on Vista with UAC on.

MihaiS_v2
21 Apr 2009, 07:23
I finally made a wkModule that prevents user from choosing 'surrender' by F12 tapping

Thank you!

Gnork
21 Apr 2009, 09:38
GJ - i'm gonna test it out :p ty!

*throws command pad away - don't need that anymore wohoo hehehe

Malevol3nt
21 Apr 2009, 17:36
Thanx boobl, it seems to work over here. Have yet to test it online tho.

franpa
22 Apr 2009, 02:49
Works here :)

Muzer
22 Apr 2009, 20:48
Please don't release it for .28. .28 users are mostly pirates.

Malevol3nt
22 Apr 2009, 21:06
ARRe you kidding me? :o

franpa
22 Apr 2009, 21:22
.29 users are pirates too. you can't stop there progress.

boobl
23 Apr 2009, 07:25
I know there are people that use .28 only because of wkKick module, that does not work with .29 (also may I ask - why theres no wkKick for .29? I can make one coz im familiar with networking), and there are definately a bunch of people that dislike the fact that some of the characters was replaced with cyrillic letters.

So im planning to make wkF12 compatible with .28

GreeN
23 Apr 2009, 11:09
A .29-compatible module has already been made to provide the same feature as wkKick, except with added chat-box notifications and advertisements

Malevol3nt
23 Apr 2009, 12:10
Advertisements? What the fluff? Haha

GreeN
23 Apr 2009, 12:18
Well, *self-advertisement. It sends a nice big green download link to everyone in your game :P

Muzer
23 Apr 2009, 21:46
He removed that to stop it spreading.

franpa
24 Apr 2009, 09:56
yep, it no longer self advertises a download link but I think it still does display a message.

b1llygo4t
24 Apr 2009, 19:02
what module replaced wkkick?

franpa
25 Apr 2009, 05:22
wkCinusKick.dll

b1llygo4t
25 Apr 2009, 22:35
thank you franpa and thank you google.

Gnork
15 Dec 2009, 10:27
Linking http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38573 to this topic, so in future people will find the better tool to solve this problem, in case they just searched for F12 ;)