PDA

View Full Version : A few problems

WeegieWorm
29 Mar 2009, 15:19
Hiya

I've just got this game, and there are a few problems I'm having.

I was impatient, so instead of ordering the CD from Team17 I downloaded a version (3.50B2 - Buffalo of Lies Indigo Version!) from Trymedia. Is this version really unpatchable and no good, like an unofficial FAQ somewhere in these forums says?

Anyway I'm getting these problems:

- Menus are horribly slow and keep flickering. I saw a fix for this, but it depends on a .REG file in a Tweaks subfolder which doesn't exist in my version
- I'm doing a lot of the basic training missions. After each mission, the dialog (i.e. "next mission" or "you failed") takes AGES to display.
- Menus often lose all their colours, so that they're in black and white and unreadable.
- The menus are in low-res, I'm playing in 1440x900 on a laptop. The res-switch is annoying and flickery, as it shows the taskbar and other weirdnesses.
- Whenever I tweak Options, the selected option changes to "User defined". I can't SAVE this (SAVE button is disabled) - and if I try to exit the Options screen I get "Exit without saving?". So effectively I can't change any options.

Are any of these fixed in the latest beta version available here?
Can I download that and use it, or is the Trymedia version I have unpatchable?

thanks!

WeegieWorm
(no prizes for guessing which worm-voices I use...)

Koen-ftw
29 Mar 2009, 15:47
The TryMedia version is overpriced and can't be updated. I suggest you get a refund and order the CD from the Team17 Online Store (https://secure.team17.com). Details on getting a refund can be found here: http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33495

Muzer
29 Mar 2009, 17:02
- Menus are horribly slow and keep flickering. I saw a fix for this, but it depends on a .REG file in a Tweaks subfolder which doesn't exist in my version
Even if you did have the .REG file, it would only do something in the updated version. Fixed in updated versio
- I'm doing a lot of the basic training missions. After each mission, the dialog (i.e. "next mission" or "you failed") takes AGES to display.
Not sure if this was fixed or not.
- Menus often lose all their colours, so that they're in black and white and unreadable.
This is usually caused by other programs stealing W:A's pallette. The updated version makes it easier to diagnose, but with a bit of trial and error, you should be able to find out which program is doing it. Messengers and AntiVirus is a common feature. When you've found which one it is, try disabling the "always on top" or "show above other windows" feature, or something to that effect.
- The menus are in low-res, I'm playing in 1440x900 on a laptop. The res-switch is annoying and flickery, as it shows the taskbar and other weirdnesses.
This is planned for a future version of W:A, but it will require a complete rewrite of the menu, so don't hold your breath.
- Whenever I tweak Options, the selected option changes to "User defined". I can't SAVE this (SAVE button is disabled) - and if I try to exit the Options screen I get "Exit without saving?". So effectively I can't change any options.
You need to type in the load box (it's a combo box so you can type in it as well as choosing options) the name you want the scheme to be.

Are any of these fixed in the latest beta version available here?
Can I download that and use it, or is the Trymedia version I have unpatchable?
The trymedia version is in fact unpatchable.

WeegieWorm
30 Mar 2009, 14:15
Many thanks, Koen-ftw and Muzer, for all that information!

I've ordered a refund using the link and ordered a triple-pack from Team17.

happy worming!

franpa
30 Mar 2009, 17:04
You need to type in the load box
or better put, you have to replace "User defined" with another name.

WeegieWorm
2 Apr 2009, 12:24
It's weird, I can't seem to get my user-defined options to load. Every time I start the game, it goes back to "Intermediate". The Options schemes are very confusing. I select my now renamed [User-defined] scheme in the combo, and go into the Game Options screen to e.g. turn blood on! Exit from there, and the combo is back to "intermediate".

But this is on the Trymedia, earlier version. I've just received a 3-CD pack from Team17 (yeeah!), so I'll uninstall the Trymedia version and start using the one that works.

Is there a way I can back up my team's details and restore them back in once I've installed the Team17 version?

many thanks.

Muzer
2 Apr 2009, 18:41
It's weird, I can't seem to get my user-defined options to load. Every time I start the game, it goes back to "Intermediate". The Options schemes are very confusing. I select my now renamed [User-defined] scheme in the combo, and go into the Game Options screen to e.g. turn blood on! Exit from there, and the combo is back to "intermediate".

But this is on the Trymedia, earlier version. I've just received a 3-CD pack from Team17 (yeeah!), so I'll uninstall the Trymedia version and start using the one that works.

Is there a way I can back up my team's details and restore them back in once I've installed the Team17 version?

many thanks.

I think the trymedia version encrypts all its files, so probably not. On the off-chance that the USER data is not encrypted, try copying the whole USER folder (in your Worms Armageddon folder) to your new installation. If something messes up, or it just doesn't work, then you probably can't.

franpa
3 Apr 2009, 16:42
1) you have to choose the scheme when either hosting a online game or just before starting a single player game.

2) choosing the scheme in the "game options" instead, is just to let you re-edit the settings (and save the new changes).