PDA

View Full Version : W:A Speech Bank Updater, any interest?

Shadoku
25 Mar 2009, 15:19
First, a little background info; a while back I put together a little app to check a users installed sound banks against a list stored on my server, the program then builds a list of banks your missing and automates downloading/installing them. I made this for a fairly small group, but over time I've noticed quite a bit of outside traffic; which brings me to my question.

Would there be any interest in a more robust, updated version for general use? I could easily create a web interface for submitting new banks, and could also easily work in support for multiple lists so that various regular groups dont have to download everything if they don't need it.

the current incarnation of the app can be found here: http://underground.bananachan.net/worms/

lDarKl
25 Mar 2009, 17:51
I've never heard of an application like this before - so you might as well try and make it popular.
Personally I would use it, nice idea. :)

SithlordDK
25 Mar 2009, 20:17
Download doesn't work "Not Found-The requested URL /updater/install.exe was not found on this server."

Malevol3nt
26 Mar 2009, 01:56
Nice idea. But something tells me I won't be needing your proggy.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2rdetli.png

~500 voice banks. This is what Gnork sent me last year. Around 2 Gigs in total. :p

jsgnext
26 Mar 2009, 03:06
~500 voice banks. This is what Gnork sent me last year. Around 2 Gigs in total. :p

O.o omg....u are crazy man!!

Shadoku
26 Mar 2009, 04:46
Download doesn't work "Not Found-The requested URL /updater/install.exe was not found on this server."

Sorry about, its fixed now (I didn't write that page :rolleyes:)

SithlordDK
26 Mar 2009, 13:23
Nice idea. But something tells me I won't be needing your proggy.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2rdetli.png

1,5 GB ! This will change when 4.0 is out with compressed audio support ^^... btw what's "rujan"?

MihaiS
26 Mar 2009, 13:32
btw what's "rujan"?

Croatian for September.

Vader
26 Mar 2009, 14:08
I'd support this idea for sure.

If you set it up so I can hook it up to either your webspace, my webspace, or someone else's webspace and do a cross-check of those files, that would be sweet.

Oh, and make it so it can be run from within a browser. Then we can all just add this to our speechbank pages and people can sync at their leisure from within the browser.

:cool:

franpa
26 Mar 2009, 14:29
If you make it a stand alone client, then can you implement the ability to also manually specify a server address?

Shadoku
26 Mar 2009, 15:34
I was intending something more along the lines of a centralized bank database, with an easy web based interface to submit banks and build custom sync lists which could then be specified when you run the updater (in addition to or in place of several prebuilt lists). I really don't see much point in having multiple repositories floating around, as the system I have planned gives you and your group total control over what gets downloaded.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not horribly adverse to the idea, I just think it would be counter productive...

Malevol3nt
26 Mar 2009, 16:46
O.o omg....u are crazy man!!

Like I said, I didn't collect these. All credits go to Gnork, who I presume had a lot of fun downloading each and every one of these.:D

GreeN
26 Mar 2009, 17:14
Like I said, I didn't collect these. All credits go to Gnork, who I presume had a lot of fun mind altering substances pumping through his bloodstream while downloading each and every one of these.:D

Ahem
tencharacters

Muzer
26 Mar 2009, 18:15
I was intending something more along the lines of a centralized bank database, with an easy web based interface to submit banks and build custom sync lists which could then be specified when you run the updater (in addition to or in place of several prebuilt lists). I really don't see much point in having multiple repositories floating around, as the system I have planned gives you and your group total control over what gets downloaded.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not horribly adverse to the idea, I just think it would be counter productive...
If you allow user submissions, make sure you implement an intelligent system where it md5sums all of the sounds, and if a certain percentage are the same, it refuses. Or even better, reconstruct the sound wave and compare it for similarities (since the audio may have been recompressed but still the same). If it is the same as another one already there, you should have a system for being able to update sound banks on the server (removing the old one). This can be done either by the original uploader, or they send a request to you or other moderators who then see if you are the legitimate owner of the bank and/or if the bank is a legitimate update for the better of the soundbank already on the server. Only then will it accept updates for sound banks from unauthorised users. The same goes with deletion.

Gnork
26 Mar 2009, 23:42
Like I said, I didn't collect these. All credits go to Gnork, who I presume had a lot of fun downloading each and every one of these.:D
no? I just followed a torrent link from this forum back then :P well, ok, I had a few from other worms sites as well, duh. :o

Ahem
tencharacters

RED! :eek:
fourcharacters

[UFP]Ghost
28 Mar 2009, 06:05
no? I just followed a torrent link from this forum back then :P well, ok, I had a few from other worms sites as well, duh. :o

Go me :) I have amassed another 100mb. I remember going through many websites for those. If ever I get a larger more substantial amount I'll retorrent. But it's nice to know that even after I stopped, someone si spreading them.

And I would be greatly interested in this program.

edit: and foxhound sound bank is very good. I already love this program.

edit2: It would also help establish a way to solve the naming convention for soundbanks. thus everyone would hear other peoples when they had it, as the program would sync the names.

DragonQ
30 Mar 2009, 00:53
1.5GB of speech banks...that's a lot lol.

I've never downloaded any speech banks but I've made my own based on Austin Powers, Ali G and The Ricky Gervais Show that I interchange when I get bored of one. My friend also made on based on the text-to-speech dude Microsoft Sam. :D

Is there any database or something of WA speech banks that allows you to share your own creations with others?

Gnork
30 Mar 2009, 21:53
Is there any database or something of WA speech banks that allows you to share your own creations with others?

www.wspdb.org? xD look it's still available :P