PDA

View Full Version : Locking the computer while W:A is focused = crash.

franpa
25 Mar 2009, 14:04
Hi just reporting this... I am running Windows 7 though so someone else will need to verify it under XP/Vista.

Koen-ftw
25 Mar 2009, 14:16
Why would you lock your computer when you are playing WA? Just exit the game first, jeez.

franpa
25 Mar 2009, 14:18
I accidentally hit the Windows key + L.

bonz
26 Mar 2009, 07:16
Hibernating your computer will most likely crash WA too. As will powering it off. :rolleyes:

yakuza
26 Mar 2009, 08:11
Beating your computer with a baseball bat will most likely cause WA (and your computer) to crash.

Cybershadow please look into it

thanks

franpa
26 Mar 2009, 08:43
the game should technically enter a minimized state when the computer is locked. hibernation and sleep and stuff do other things which can potentially crash it.

yakuza
26 Mar 2009, 09:00
the game should technically enter a minimized state when the computer is locked. hibernation and sleep and stuff do other things which can potentially crash it.

Should? Why should it? Does that mean that looking into the problem, realizing what's causing it, finding a solution and applying a solution is time/effort worth? Does it happen so often that it's a big deal amongst users? Is it something that people expect not to happen? Can it not be easily avoidable? Does it sunder your gaming experience?

I think you'll find out that the answer to these questions is NO, so, until we have a magic wand capable of instantly solving "problems" like these I suggest we (as a community) focus on things that are actually important.

PS: Most games I remember crash when the computer goes into hibernation

MihaiS
26 Mar 2009, 09:25
W:A crashes when my girlfriend calls.

franpa
26 Mar 2009, 10:08
I never said it was important or that it is common enough to fix, I am just reporting a bug because thats what you usually do for beta software o_o"

I don't care if it either never gets fixed or will get fixed in 10 years.

MihaiS
26 Mar 2009, 11:02
I don't care if it either never gets fixed or will get fixed in 10 years.

Obviously, but we (da community) love not to leave threads empty, especially when we can generate laughter and conflicts. :Ð

Plutonic
26 Mar 2009, 13:13
I like that it crashes, it means that if when making a wk module i do somethng wrong I can at least force the program to close when other commands fail to do so, logging out and in again to crash it is a lot faster than turning the PC off. Though, I guess I'm in the minority with that! For the rest, not hitting the windows key would propbably work. For a code fix, disabling the windows key entirely might work, though i've not ever looked into how you would do that.

franpa
26 Mar 2009, 14:33
If your in the front-end, no crash occurs (you still get the usual bugs when restoring the front-end under Vista/Windows 7.) it only crashes after unlocking your PC if you locked it while in-game and in focus.

Muzer
26 Mar 2009, 18:24
For a code fix, disabling the windows key entirely might work, though i've not ever looked into how you would do that.
This actually used to be the case (built-in to Windows it seems), I think it's controllable via a registry entry.