PDA

View Full Version : How to edit sprites?

mb777
6 Mar 2009, 00:10
Hi, I have downloaded the Sprite Editor, but I can not get it working. I have managed to extract a whole load of filles from Gfx1.dir and Gfx0.dir, but when I try to open one of the bmp's, it says that the .bmp file is in an invalid file format. All the .bmp files are showing as 0 bytes.

Also, which do I modify Gfx1 or Gfx0

Thanks

franpa
6 Mar 2009, 05:40
try gfx.dir

Malevol3nt
6 Mar 2009, 15:45
Hi, I have downloaded the Sprite Editor, but I can not get it working. I have managed to extract a whole load of filles from Gfx1.dir and Gfx0.dir, but when I try to open one of the bmp's, it says that the .bmp file is in an invalid file format. All the .bmp files are showing as 0 bytes.

Also, which do I modify Gfx1 or Gfx0

Thanks

Hey, I've allready written a small guide just on how to edit the weapon images, but you can edit just about anything in there. Here's the quote:

To replace or edit available weapons:

First backup your gfx.dir file which is in the DATA\GFX folder.

1. Open the gfx.dir file with the editor (File > Open). Now create a new folder somewhere on your desktop, open the editor again and select 'Extract,Convert,Log'. Extract the files to the new folder on your desktop.

2. Edit your weapons with photoshop or whatever program you may have, but remember that you need to keep the existing palette or the graphics will look bad when played.

There are a bunch of files you can edit:

.img.bmp - these are static images, mostly used for the weapon table and static weapons (for example when an arrow attaches to the wall it's replaced by a static image)

.spr.bmp - these are the 'animated' images. They are actually image frames sorted in blocks of a certain ammount of pixels, the block on top is the first frame, and the bottom block is the last frame. The size of these blocks is determined in the equivalent .spr.spd file.

.spr.spd - these are files which include various settings for each of the animated images. For example if you have an "aquasheep.spr.bmp" file, then you must have an equivalent "aquasheep.spr.spd" file. Open these spr.spd files with notepad to edit them.
You can edit the ammount of frames, the dimensions of these frames, aswell as the framerate. (I've no idea what the Flags option is for tho)

3. Once you're done with your edits open the Sprite editor again and select 'Reconstruct from log'. Browse to the new folder on your desktop again and select the file "Gfx.dir.txt". This file contains the information on all of the images that will be included in the .dir archive. Now select File > Save As.., browse to the DATA\GFX folder and save it as gfx.dir.

NOTE: This is how you replace your original gfx.dir file from w:a with your own. Remember to backup your gfx.dir file before you do this.
I've tried playing online with some of my edits and they seemed to work. If you only edit the images without adding new weapons or messing around with the .spr.spd files then you don't need to use PX to be able to use them in game.

---

Muzer
7 Mar 2009, 17:01
To get W:A to use GFX.DIR rather than GFX0 or GFX1, you need to delete GFX0 and GFX1.

mb777
8 Apr 2009, 01:13
Thanks it worked!
I made HUGE mines :)

Alien King
8 Apr 2009, 09:47
I did some work with sprites a good few years ago. I wrote this in the process. http://forum.team17.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=26849&d=1140911547

I think Malevol3nt's post covers everything though.

b1llygo4t
23 Apr 2009, 08:44
sooooooooooo, could you replace the sprites with ones that are the same size as the collision mask????

bonz
23 Apr 2009, 11:01
sooooooooooo, could you replace the sprites with ones that are the same size as the collision mask????
Yes, but then everything would look the same, IIRC like a 7x5 vase shaped thingie.

b1llygo4t
28 Apr 2009, 07:18
just of for the worms and animals

SgtFusion
28 Apr 2009, 11:18
Then the worms and animals would be tiny.

Dario
28 Apr 2009, 19:38

That is cheating.

bonz
28 Apr 2009, 23:30
That is cheating.
Doesn't help at all against a donkey. :D

b1llygo4t
29 Apr 2009, 11:24
oh dont be a L7 dario

Malevol3nt
30 Apr 2009, 19:40
You can play online with replaces sprites, collision will be the same no matter how big the replaced sprites are afaik. But if your Gfx.dir exceedes ~4 kbytes you'll most likely desync. It was fun replacing the homing missile with a flying dildo for a while.. :D

GreeN
30 Apr 2009, 20:34
I'd love to see a food fight mod. Pies for nades, cakes for mines.. A bottle of Coke would be far more entertaining than a petrol bomb xD

bonz
30 Apr 2009, 21:48
I'd love to see a food fight mod. Pies for nades, cakes for mines.. A bottle of Coke would be far more entertaining than a petrol bomb xD
Pineapples! ;)