PDA

View Full Version : pisto read this. bar code maps

b1llygo4t
26 Oct 2008, 11:14
i know i brought this up a while ago, excuse me if its just a lame idea.

cs had an old module that let you place a barcode on the map that would activate settings. with all of the options you have presented us with your module, there are to many map specific settings to have all of those schemes. and sometimes you can track down the map, but not the scheme. having the scheme incorporated into the map would make things so much easier. i hate hosting a surfer and forgetting to activate test stuff, or setting specific gravity settings for a blackhole game. would it be possible to embed text into the bar code? that way once the game started rules could be autoentered into the chat box. as far as how the front end sees it, it should act as if a scheme was loaded, including a name, then if hosters wanted to adjust those rules they could, or just load up a dif scheme.

i think that would be badass

franpa
26 Oct 2008, 11:18
Pisto is planing on a new scheme format for the next version or so, this will obsolete what you want because really, who sends just a map to someone who wants both the map and scheme? only idiots do that!

I believe Cybershadow stopped updating WkMagic because newer versions of W:A made it unfeasible.

b1llygo4t
26 Oct 2008, 11:35
i wasnt talking about reviving a dead module, but incorporating its usefulness into rubberworm. and yeah wmdb does not have an option for associated schemes. and you still have an ass load of map specific schemes clogging up your folder/s.

franpa
26 Oct 2008, 12:15
Anyone smart enough to use WMDB should also be smart enough to use WSDB.

b1llygo4t
26 Oct 2008, 12:38
could you please point me in the right direction to access schemes in the WSDB. http://wsdb.org/ just goes to a spot to upload schemes. yes i did look

i feel having schemes embedded in the map is significantly more useful than the current implementation of schemes.

i have a pod map(if you can call it that) that calls for worm placement and dumbed down weps(holy nade is the most powerful) should people realy have to have the associated scheme for that one map? most (good) maps have rules posted, why shouldnt those rules be auto applied?

much respect franpa, i just disagree

franpa
26 Oct 2008, 12:49
Ah, I assumed WSDB was like WMDB and let you browse it's archive.

pisto
26 Oct 2008, 13:00
as of now, I've implemented an automatic rubber scheme loading upon a load of a normal scheme with the same name (wxw_with_some_rubber.wsc loads also wxw_with_some_rubber.rsc, the last one actually contains the rubber settings).
I think that this can happen also with maps, but only for map-specific settings (such as gravity schemes or worm and objects placement), and these settings would be merged with the rubber scheme.

I'm still considering if it's a good idea to prevent the map-specific settings to be stored in the scheme-associated rsc files: I guess yes.

b1llygo4t
26 Oct 2008, 13:01
i actually cant find anymore info on the wsdb. i know that hosting buddy can retrieve schemes from it, but i cant find any other reason for it being there.

im in the u.s. its 8 am, i gotta go to bed.

AndrewTaylor
26 Oct 2008, 13:42
Worms Reinforcements let you have a .inf file along with the .pcx map, to store friction, gravity, water type, background and so on. That'd be a much simpler way to do it. Slightly more work for the player, but much easier to implement and make/edit maps for.

bonz
26 Oct 2008, 14:48
Worms Reinforcements let you have a .inf file along with the .pcx map, to store friction, gravity, water type, background and so on. That'd be a much simpler way to do it. Slightly more work for the player, but much easier to implement and make/edit maps for.
WA already stores extra data like borders, water levels, holes and objects in an extra PNG chunk.
So, storing additional map related data like you mentioned should be easily possible by expanding WA's map editor to do that.

AndrewTaylor
26 Oct 2008, 15:18
Yes, that would be ideal, but it's probably over-the-top for something like rubberworm to implement that, isn't it? I've never used PNG chunks that way but I'd think it'd not be particularly easy.

Gnork
26 Oct 2008, 16:33
Yes, that would be ideal, but it's probably over-the-top for something like rubberworm to implement that, isn't it? I've never used PNG chunks that way but I'd think it'd not be particularly easy.

it could be a nice test platform though, to see if it's useful or not.. and maybe be added to the wa 4.0 if it turns out to be a success?

Etho.
26 Oct 2008, 19:40
It wouldn't be much different from reading the information from a custom *.dat file. The only tricky part is a proper CRC32 would need to be generated for the PNG file, otherwise W:A will not be able to load the map.