PDA

View Full Version : do you like prosnooper? maybe you have some further ideas for it?

lookias
17 Oct 2008, 22:36
hello,

im just writting on a wormnet client, this client will be inside play wa on linux then. but if i want, i can (and will) make a version for windows aswell. mac can also be supported if someone helps with simply compiling the program.

so im having several ideas, which will be included.
for example:

more abilitys to set up the configuration of the network client.
it will open seperated chat windows for private message conversation.
mass message conversations can be possible aswell (im just not sure about it).

i cannot say when it will be released, it may take some weeks, but its just in a good state to think about others ideas.

greetz lookias

Etho.
17 Oct 2008, 23:07
mass message conversations

I would like to discourage you from implementing that feature. WormNET is a bit fragile. Having a private conversation with several people at a time would mean having to send a lot more messages and wasting a lot more of WormNET's bandwidth.

lookias
17 Oct 2008, 23:17
I would like to discourage you from implementing that feature. WormNET is a bit fragile. Having a private conversation with several people at a time would mean having to send a lot more messages and wasting a lot more of WormNET's bandwidth.

as i understand the wormnet lags, they are caused by the http part of wn not by that irc part of wormnet which would be used by mass messages. but maybe you are right, i would like to have a meaning from cybershadow about it.

mass messages would deliver every message to all inside the conversation. so a native wormnet client (like worms) would be hasseled alot after beeing invented without the chance to leave the conversation. as i said im not sure about it, but on the other side it would be a good feature.

Expro
17 Oct 2008, 23:26
as i understand the wormnet lags, they are caused by the http part of wn not by that irc part of wormnet which would be used by mass messages.

Http part of wormnet is quite simple and low banwidth, irc part sends much more messages.

lookias
17 Oct 2008, 23:37
Http part of wormnet is quite simple and low banwidth, irc part sends much more messages.

with cybershadows words...

irc is just a simple deamon but http runs over an apache server which causes the lags. i just dont want to find that thread. but i still can remember it. ;p

CyberShadow
18 Oct 2008, 02:16
lookias is somewhat right - more IRC traffic isn't likely to slow down WormNET. I'm more concerned about the potential of abusing the feature for spamming.

franpa
18 Oct 2008, 02:36
If the person that initiated the Mass Messaging is shown to everyone in the conversation and there is a way to Block particular people from including you in Mass Messaging, then I don't see much harm.

Laban
18 Oct 2008, 02:52
Maybe access to network configuration?

Muzer
18 Oct 2008, 08:58
There is a limit on the speed you can send out PMs on wormnet, it's like, 1 per second or something, so it's no big deal (I know this from when I tried to DoS FTM-Bot)

b1llygo4t
18 Oct 2008, 09:09
id like to see (some of this is out on a limb);

seperate list for buddies, or migrate them to the top or bottom of the users list. also be able to sort game and users lists alphabetically or by order of entry.

an option to log text

a macro tool so you can asign rules, rubberworm options, spam, etc., to hotkeys for entry into chat.

key reassigning tool

mabe a recomended sites list (wmdb, team 17 forum, worms knowledge base, blame the pixel, etc.)

some sort of integrated system for lader based tournaments. something like this; start the option. it sends a message saying those that want to participate to pm the person running the tourney with a command and an optional command if they can host. then the program could pm them back confirming their entry and telling them to wait. once there is a match it would send both players pms telling them which is hosting and for the other to join. once the game is over the winner pms the person running it with a command, hence awarding them victor, or bumping them up to the next slot. the person running the tourney should be able to participate assuming the program could run on its own. alternatively it could instruct the players pregame to upload their replay to the appropriate tourney site.

itd be cool if your progy had a small data base with clan tags and websites. so clans could submit their website and your snooper could recognize a tag in a name, then display the clan website if the mouse hovered over the name. make it an option so i dont have to use it :p (some would say this is a waste of time and worthless, i think it would further unify the community).

itd be realy sweet if you could replace the majority of the front end of worms, complete with scheme and team editors, wormnet connection options, mabe other small options like music volume and mute

that plus what prosnooper offers would be awsome

franpa
18 Oct 2008, 09:54
I'd settle for something like the Super Snooper in that it looks the same but offers the following 4 new features: showing players rank, listing users by name and/or rank, joining games and hosting new games.

Gnork
18 Oct 2008, 11:50
PLEASE make sure that the buddies list is not saved in the registry like with prosnooper now. It has a limit and after a while it's not possible to add more buddies. Buddies list in separate file please, also for easy backup reasons.

pisto
18 Oct 2008, 12:53
working buddy feature.
ordered player list.
non blocking http requests.
close game in game list when it's started (requires some callback from wa.exe or just check if wa is still listening on any tcp port).
better find text feature in chat utility (backward is so slow actually).
if you type something but not press enter, and then you click on a player to make this text private to that user, prosnooper deletes the text: please just append the /msg [player name].
more stability (no blinking window if there's no network link, no strange disconnections without reasons).
don't allow to create a game with a '+' in its name (it messes up the game list, in worms front end too iirc).

that's what is most annoying about prosnooper.

Muzer
18 Oct 2008, 14:27
joining games and hosting new games.
You can do that in prosnooper :rolleyes:
showing players rank
And that...

Laban
18 Oct 2008, 14:52
0_0

all of the above xD

GreeN
18 Oct 2008, 15:02
PLEASE make sure that the buddies list is not saved in the registry like with prosnooper now. It has a limit and after a while it's not possible to add more buddies. Buddies list in separate file please, also for easy backup reasons.

In case you're unaware, you can still add buddies if you add them manually (I.e. Through the options menu), and promptly close ProSnooper afterwards. Don't ask me why, but it saves them :p

lookias
18 Oct 2008, 16:26
so lets not forget im writing a snooper, so i dont bother so much for functionalities which are provided by the worms frontend except host and join functionalities.
for that, i would like to write a windowed Qt based worms frontend. for example, it would handle everything of the frontend until worms comes into the host screen. but that needs help from someone who has access to the source code of worms. i would need a dll from worms. and much time to write it.

the snooper wont use windows registry it handles everything over ini files, like common linux programs do.

Koen-ftw
18 Oct 2008, 17:28
I have one thing.

For the IRC part, make it so that it connects with a proper realname (not "Username" (like ProSnooper and a normal WNet login do), but rather something like the same as the nickname used to login (something unique).

This so that I can easily put a permanent /ignore on anyone who uses it to spam me (if I ignore someone now, my client will ignore everyone on WormNET (because everyone uses the "Username@no.address.for.you" user@host combo).

Except for that, kudos for making a Linux snooper. Much appreciated.

lookias
18 Oct 2008, 17:37
I have one thing.

For the IRC part, make it so that it connects with a proper realname (not "Username" (like ProSnooper and a normal WNet login do), but rather something like the same as the nickname used to login (something unique).

that is included in this string which the snooper sends to wormnet:

something like:

USER Username hostname servername :15 9 ?? prosnooper

this string will be defined in an ini file, so you need to take the effort to edit this ini file but then you gain the most possible ability to change network behaviour.

Username is that string you mean.
prosnooper is that string prosnooper sends, so you can choose if worms player see snooper eyes or not. also the flag (??) and ranks (9) are included in this string.
i plan to react on several strings regard to that prosnooper string, if someone write *linux* there in, you will see a tux. only one example. * stands for any string.
*snooper* will show 2 eyes.

if that whole string is not valid it indicates the use of an irc client.

Koen-ftw
18 Oct 2008, 17:47
that is included in this string which the snooper sends to wormnet

Yes, yes it is. It's a standard part of any IRC logon. I made a mistake here, didn't mean realname but the first part of the hostname (most IRC clients use hostname when you need to ignore someone)

Here is a prosnooper whois:

x is Username@no.address.for.you * 1 0 UK ProSnooper2
x on #AnythingGoes
x using wormnet1.team17.com Team17 Ltd.
x has been idle 1hr 16mins 36secs, signed on Sat Oct 18 17:23:15
x End of /WHOIS list.

Notice how mine is:

sKoen is ~Koen@no.address.for.you * 34 4294967309 NL Snooper
sKoen on #Help #AnythingGoes
sKoen using wormnet1.team17.com Team17 Ltd.
sKoen is away: Auto Away at Sat Oct 18 16:25:09 2008
sKoen has been idle 88hrs 23mins 56secs, signed on Fri Oct 10 23:56:10
sKoen End of /WHOIS list.

If you ignore someone, you will add for instance user@host or user@* to a blacklist, ignoring only the users you want. But if you ignore someone using Prosnooper you will effectively block the entire of wormnet, because everyone uses that mask!

I say, just use $nick@no.address.for.you instead of something standard (unless the user chooses otherwise, in said .ini).

lookias
18 Oct 2008, 18:39
i know what you mean, and i want to mention that whois is just a feature of your irc client. so the client it self sends the message to you. it just rememberes some strings which came from a who command to the server
who username or just who
and adds the online-time or whatever it wants you to show about the user.
it is the same with ignore command. how it works is a decission of the irc client. if the client wants to, it can use other informations to ignore others (it just dont show these messages to you). for example the real user nick (worms does so). so you could look for other irc clients with other behaviours. because the information your client uses for ignoring is not that save. and my program will not avoid anonymity, its the opposite, you can edit everything, you just need to know about it.

and the ini file is a standard ini file, the program wont be able to edit it, you must do it alone. it would be a bigger and very boring effort to implement administration of that ini file by the program.
this concept gives me more time for writing the snooper.

Koen-ftw
18 Oct 2008, 18:59
Arrrr, nevermind, you don't get it. :D

lookias
18 Oct 2008, 21:20
Arrrr, nevermind, you don't get it. :D

nono im sure i understand you.
there is another string which an irc client sends
NICK nickname
this string sends the irc server your nickname (appears for everyone).

but this
USER Username hostname servername :15 9 ?? prosnooper

means something else. and Username is that name you wish to be changed, so that your irc client can identify a special person. so that person would not know about the second name, but you know it and can ignore him even when he wears an alias.
i musst dissapoint you because that cant work properly.

the savest way to ignore one would be to ignore the real nickname.

Muzer
19 Oct 2008, 08:54
i musst dissapoint you because that cant work properly.
Why not?

lookias
19 Oct 2008, 12:04
Why not?

b4 i try to imagine a technical solution for it. let me explain pro and contra of this feature:

pro:
no idea

contra:
Koen can ignore users of my tool (assuming i implement it) in a v convenient way.
if someone wants to change his nick without the knowledge of this second hidden username. then my program (assuming i implement the feature) will disturb his anonymity.

the last point is unacceptable to me.

greetz lookias

pisto
19 Oct 2008, 14:27
I have one thing.

This so that I can easily put a permanent /ignore on anyone who uses it to spam me (if I ignore someone now, my client will ignore everyone on WormNET (because everyone uses the "Username@no.address.for.you" user@host combo).

Except for that, kudos for making a Linux snooper. Much appreciated.

it would require a sort of registration, parallel but independent to wormnet. It wouldn't work fine.

CyberShadow
19 Oct 2008, 16:15
From what I read of this thread, it sounds like you're making a spamming tool. :rolleyes:

Muzer
19 Oct 2008, 17:24
It does seem like that. Who gives a **** about the anomity of the users?

Also, I don't like this:

a macro tool so you can asign rules, rubberworm options, spam, etc., to hotkeys for entry into chat.

:s

Koen can ignore users of my tool (assuming i implement it) in a v convenient way.
Why is that a con? I can as well :p.

Oh, and cyber, can you add Koen's proposed feature to Worms itself?

lookias
19 Oct 2008, 17:47
From what I read of this thread, it sounds like you're making a spamming tool. :rolleyes:

can you explain that please? i dont get it.

Koen-ftw
19 Oct 2008, 18:08
can you explain that please? i dont get it.

Well, both these can be used to spam other players:
1. Users can and will be fully anonymous.
2. Users can use macro's to easily send messages.

Seems like to me this will become 'just another snooper'. Too bad, I was hoping for something more than that.

lookias
19 Oct 2008, 18:33
Well, both these can be used to spam other players:
1. Users can and will be fully anonymous.
2. Users can use macro's to easily send messages.

Seems like to me this will become 'just another snooper'. Too bad, I was hoping for something more than that.

1: irc is ment to be like that.

2: not if i dont implement it.

and yes its a snooper, i allready pointed that out. if you want something else, you must take the effort and write it alone.

Muzer
19 Oct 2008, 19:18
irc is ment to be like that.
No it isn't. Look on ANY NETWORK (apart from WN). It will let you know the user's ISP, IP address, and loads more info.

lookias
19 Oct 2008, 22:47
seperate list for buddies, or migrate them to the top or bottom of the users list. also be able to sort game and users lists alphabetically or by order of entry.

budyy list on the top is a good idea also a sorting.

an option to log text

logging messages from private conversations will be in of course.

key reassigning tool

i guess you mean something like keychanger. so that wont be in, it should allready be feature of worms itself.

mabe a recomended sites list (wmdb, team 17 forum, worms knowledge base, blame the pixel, etc.)

i think i implement something like an extended WHOIS, compareable with MSN`s user info. and also a way to post files. files like maps flags. and websites. but that wont be a feature for first alpha version.

mabe a recomended sites list (wmdb, team 17 forum, worms knowledge base, blame the pixel, etc...
things in injunction with tourneys, are a bit hard for me, because i dont play tourneys very offten.

itd be cool if your progy had a small data base with clan tags and websites. so clans could submit their website and your snooper could recognize a tag in a name
the individual user info is allready a solution to that.

showing players rank, listing users by name and/or rank, joining games and hosting new games.
listing gamers by rank is not really sencefull but i may do that.

franpa
20 Oct 2008, 04:46
it lets you isolate snoopers from teh REAL players :P and to help clarify, I meant to sort by name while sorting by rank.

lookias
20 Oct 2008, 14:12
it lets you isolate snoopers from teh REAL players :P and to help clarify, I meant to sort by name while sorting by rank.

what about showing eyes? there should be other pictures aswell, because my client must do some things on top of the irc protocoll. i could make these things only available for peoples who have a special string in use.

for example prosnooper and worms can not be asked for the extendend whois.

yakuza
20 Oct 2008, 17:37
ideas plz

Make it reboot the computer if someone idles on it for more than 5 minutes.

Gnork
20 Oct 2008, 23:15
Make it reboot the computer if someone idles on it for more than 5 minutes.

keep letting it whine at the user to upgrade to the newest wa patch including popping up an ftp download transfer window for the file every 5 minutes?

Laban
22 Oct 2008, 01:22
keep letting it whine at the user to upgrade to the newest wa patch including popping up an ftp download transfer window for the file every 5 minutes?

OR how about not allowing anyone without the newest update to join/host, plus sending the message

might sound kinda harsh, but I assure you - itll do the work ;)

Konar6
22 Oct 2008, 10:57
Gnork: what if the user cant or does not want to upgrade to newest version because of its issues? (i.e. in 3.6.29.0 - Windows 9x incompatibility, annoying quit desync bug, .....)

CyberShadow
22 Oct 2008, 11:04
Gnork: what if the user cant or does not want to upgrade to newest version because of its issues? (i.e. in 3.6.29.0 - Windows 9x incompatibility, annoying quit desync bug, .....)
HostingBuddy and the #Help bot have a minimal version number, which is currently set to 3.6.28.0. It only notifies people that they are using an old version if their version is older than that.

b1llygo4t
26 Oct 2008, 10:42
lookias, as far as how your progy interacts with the desktop, can you have an option for it to stay on top or not? maybe lock to one side(any of the 4) of the screen and minimize to a small bar, then when you click on it or hit a hot key to have it expand out?

this is kind of out there, but could you have it so you can drag and drop maps or schemes to your prog and have it auto place the item in a (your snooper name)folder within the scheme or maps folder?

this is kind of out there also, but could your prog have like a who is for games? like if you host a game from your prog you can upload the map and scheme settings, so people could know what their getting into ahead of time if they also use your prog? itd be nice if you could drag and drop maps and schemes to a box to submit this info, or have a browser pop up. is it possible to track who joined what game? if a player limit is set, you could know if its full or not. if someone rejoins the channel it could delete that player from the joined list.

how about a 4th panel that is only for match making? users of your prog could post/see who wants to play what. then people could message back. once you host or quit it should delete your post.

scheme(including rubberworm variables) and team editors are 2 major things that you should incorporate.

lookias
26 Oct 2008, 12:28
lookias, as far as how your progy interacts with the desktop, can you have an option for it to stay on top or not? maybe lock to one side(any of the 4) of the screen and minimize to a small bar, then when you click on it or hit a hot key to have it expand out?

this is kind of out there, but could you have it so you can drag and drop maps or schemes to your prog and have it auto place the item in a (your snooper name)folder within the scheme or maps folder?

this is kind of out there also, but could your prog have like a who is for games? like if you host a game from your prog you can upload the map and scheme settings, so people could know what their getting into ahead of time if they also use your prog? itd be nice if you could drag and drop maps and schemes to a box to submit this info, or have a browser pop up. is it possible to track who joined what game? if a player limit is set, you could know if its full or not. if someone rejoins the channel it could delete that player from the joined list.

how about a 4th panel that is only for match making? users of your prog could post/see who wants to play what. then people could message back. once you host or quit it should delete your post.

scheme(including rubberworm variables) and team editors are 2 major things that you should incorporate.

there will be more than one window, so its better to use the control panel to reach the snooper windows. but i recommend you to remember your ideas for the first alpha release when its out.

why do you want to have a map and scheme folder inside the snooper? you think of something that needs a direct ip connection? that will not be in, direct ip is dangerous and its not easy to implement since you need a well configured internet connection to make it working.

that is to much for a snooper, as i said such things should be inside a frontend of worms. and on the other hand it will require direct ip connections.
tracking join informations is possible but will not work fine in all cases when someone quits or is booted.

irc does not provide hidden messages.

let me think about it when an alpha release is out.

b1llygo4t
26 Oct 2008, 12:57
as far as the "could you have it so you can drag and drop maps or schemes to your prog and have it auto place the item..." thing, all im talking about is simple cut and paste, just so you can easily dump the files in the appropriate spots without having to navigate your install path. like if you download a map to your desktop you could just drag it to the prog, and it will place the map in the maps folder of wa(same for schemes).

another thing that would be nice is to choose what .exe to boot wa from. example wa.exe or wormkit.exe

Laban
26 Oct 2008, 13:07
Here are couple more pretty simple, yet useful, ideas you might want to consider :

1. Arrange players by... (name, flag..)
2. Password protected hosting option - unlike in the current version where you need to do it manually.
3. A shortkey for update screen (in game/room screen) - preferably F5 like the explorer refresh button.

Viele Grüße

lookias
27 Oct 2008, 13:26
at laban:
1: will be considered
2: let me see if that is possible in a common way.
3: i allready plan a feature to realise it.

at billy:
on linux (kde) i can make a symlink (from any folder) to my desktop and then drag and drop any file in to this symlink.

you can try this on windows in a shell:

mklink /d desktopfolder path\to\wormsarmageddon\mapfolder

the resulting desktop icon may provide drag and drop functionality.

joining/hosting with wormkit is a good idea. let me check that soon.

franpa
27 Oct 2008, 14:07
mklink /d desktopfolder path\to\wormsarmageddon\mapfolder
or, right click "map folder" and choose "send to" -> "desktop (make shortcut)"

Gnork
27 Oct 2008, 17:43
prosnooper doesn't seem to be able to show all flags which wa is using? put that on the list as well pls :) or was it already mentioned? ewps

lookias
27 Oct 2008, 21:50
prosnooper doesn't seem to be able to show all flags which wa is using? put that on the list as well pls :) or was it already mentioned? ewps

flags can be added, edited and shared in png format (true color), you will just need the newer flags.

i will also implement a translation mechanism, thatsy the snooper can be available in all languages with utf8 letters. maybe a right to left layout also.
i plan to add german danish and english atm. with Qtlinguist everyone can make a translation in a convenient way (and without fiddling inside the source code).

another nice feature will be the ability to load skins on runtime. this works over qss (qt style sheets) which are similar to css.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascading_Style_Sheets
if you find a qss skin (maybe inside your favourite program or somewhere else) you can simply add it to the snooper independent to what the program was written for.

Laban
28 Oct 2008, 16:14
at laban:
1: will be considered
2: let me see if that is possible in a common way.
3: i allready plan a feature to realise it.

Danke schön

lookias
10 Nov 2008, 21:19
here is a screenshot, there is still much to do, thatswhy it will take long until im ready lol.

Muzer
11 Nov 2008, 17:40
here is a screenshot, there is still much to do, thatswhy it will take long until im ready lol.
I do see you quite often in there. How are you doing it; are you RE'ing ProSnooper and remaking it, or starting completely from scratch? If there's anything you don't know about wormnet and stuff, you could probably ask me, as being a person snooping from an actual IRC client I know a reasonable amount.

Suggestions:

Make the chat window bigger.
Does this allow hosting and joining games? If so, good. If not, do it :p

lookias
11 Nov 2008, 19:09
i used/use wireshark to sniff the network information that i need to rebuild the protocoll. atm there is no question from my side, its clearly understandable what happens in wormnet.

that windows are splitted with a splitter widget similar to prosnooper. host and join is just not implemented like many other things too, but i plan to integrate it for windows and also for play worms armageddon on linux.

if you see that linuxxx guy in wormnet, that is my tool.

rod``lookias is my worms game.

Muzer
11 Nov 2008, 19:53
but i plan to integrate it for windows and also for play worms armageddon on linux.
Good. Make sure you do (@the linux thing).

lookias
11 Nov 2008, 20:22
Good. Make sure you do (@the linux thing).

since i develope in linux, it will be available for linux at first. :P
atm i guess its all about starting worms with a command line string like wa.exe wa:/ip or something like that?
and sending the host info to wn will be made by snooper.

im not so sure atm, if you like you could give me an explaination about it.

CyberShadow
11 Nov 2008, 20:51
You know, ProSnooper is open-source now (http://rndware.info/content/ProSnooper/Source+Code)...

lookias
11 Nov 2008, 21:12
You know, ProSnooper is open-source now (http://rndware.info/content/ProSnooper/Source+Code)...

i see, its as simple as i thought.

lookias
11 Nov 2008, 21:21
heres another screenshot:

franpa
12 Nov 2008, 01:33
Looks good, keep up the work.

Muzer
12 Nov 2008, 18:19
i see, its as simple as i thought.
Don't you also have to post a request to that asp script (can't remember what it's called).

yakuza
13 Nov 2008, 11:15
It would be aweome if it had a windowed interface like mIRC for querys etc.
Ideally the hosted games would be a window, each #channel would be another window and private messages would be an individual window. All of them moveable and resizeable.

lookias
13 Nov 2008, 15:47
It would be aweome if it had a windowed interface like mIRC for querys etc.
Ideally the hosted games would be a window, each #channel would be another window and private messages would be an individual window. All of them moveable and resizeable.

explain querys please.

so there can be a seperate window for hosts, thats not a problem. the rest is allready implemented.
the last picture shown is one session, using 3 different layouts and the last 2 pictures are different to each others because i allready have some skins collected. layouts and skins can be loaded at runtime ;p.

yakuza
13 Nov 2008, 16:07
What I meant is double clicking a person would open a new chat window were only you and that person participate.

Muzer
13 Nov 2008, 18:01
Yeah, every single IRC client has that, would be a good feature. In general (to conform to the IRC standard):

/msgs to you should open a new window
/notices to you should appear in the same window (sending notices isn't currently implemented in W:A though (but recieving is), implement them anyway so that people with proper IRC clients can use them)

Also, make it transmit /ACTION properly (WA doesn't transmit it quite standardly which messes up some IRC clients, W:A is compatible with recieving standard /action or /me commands)

lookias
13 Nov 2008, 18:39
what is this /notice stuff about?

i think i allready said that seperate private message windows will be implemented.

Muzer
13 Nov 2008, 18:53
/notice is a feature in IRC that will soon be fully implemented into W:A. By default, IRC clients open a dialogue window when someone /msg's you. However, /notice always puts the message into the current channel rather than in a separate window. Please note: Recieving notices is already implemented into W:A, but not sending them (as I said, that will soon be implemented).

lookias
13 Nov 2008, 18:57
/notice is a feature in IRC that will soon be fully implemented into W:A. By default, IRC clients open a dialogue window when someone /msg's you. However, /notice always puts the message into the current channel rather than in a separate window. Please note: Recieving notices is already implemented into W:A, but not sending them (as I said, that will soon be implemented).

is that this irc feature where you see someone slapping another with fishes?

Koen-ftw
13 Nov 2008, 19:13
is that this irc feature where you see someone slapping another with fishes?

That is /ACTION or /me

/notice is, well, a notice. You know when you register with nickserv somewhere? It will give you a 'notice' telling you you registered. This is different from a query/pm.

lookias
13 Nov 2008, 19:50
That is /ACTION or /me

/notice is, well, a notice. You know when you register with nickserv somewhere? It will give you a 'notice' telling you you registered. This is different from a query/pm.

can users send that to each others? or is only a channel able to?

Koen-ftw
13 Nov 2008, 20:02
can users send that to each others? or is only a channel able to?

Yes, you can send a /notice as a user (at least from most clients). You can't send them from W:A but you CAN receive them in W:A.

lookias
13 Nov 2008, 20:07
Yes, you can send a /notice as a user (at least from most clients). You can't send them from W:A but you CAN receive them in W:A.

i need to sniff that message to see how it works, next days i come to help channel and you send that to me ok?

Koen-ftw
13 Nov 2008, 20:51
i need to sniff that message to see how it works, next days i come to help channel and you send that to me ok?

Hokay. Beep me by saying my name so I know you are there. If I don't respond, ask someone else there, most of them use a proper IRC client there. :D

lookias
13 Nov 2008, 20:54
http://lookias.freehostia.de/Bildschirmfoto-1.png
so im just ready with that users display widget, as you can see there is a buddylist and a ignorelist (no worrie that is just filled for testing).
users from buddylist will popup chatwindows when they write a private message to you, users from ignorelist cant send you any private messages (but you will see their normal textes inside the channels).
and users who are not in the buddylist and not in the ignorelist, can write private messages, but these messages will appear in every channel window (similar to worms).

if you want to write a private message you can open a chatwindow by doubble clicking that person. when you do that the chat appears inside that chatwindow regardless of the ignorelist or buddylist.

Wormetti
13 Nov 2008, 21:32
I prefer private messages in tabs (http://gtamp.com/images/gta2gh1492.jpg). Floating windows are a bit cluttered. When you click on a user/channel in the treeview, it should hide the current channel/user textbox and show a new textbox (same size and location).

lookias
13 Nov 2008, 21:49
I prefer private messages in tabs (http://gtamp.com/images/gta2gh1492.jpg) (floating windows are a bit cluttered).

these tabs can also appear in the control panel from your operating system. but indeed if you have tons of chatwindows, it will floot that pannel. but in that case, microschorf windows will wrap all that control panel widgets to something like a combobox.

lookias
13 Nov 2008, 21:53
IWhen you click on a user in the treeview, it should hide the #ag chat textbox and show a private textbox (same size and location).

a chatwindow has not so much informations, why should it be as big as a channel window?
and why should the channel window dissapear when you open a chatwindow?

CyberShadow
13 Nov 2008, 23:59
Notices are like normal messages except they use NOTICE instead of PRIVMSG on the protocol level. Also, don't make special windows for sending/receiving notices - the purpose of notices is for them to show up in your current window, not open a new one.

yakuza
14 Nov 2008, 08:14
I prefer private messages in tabs (http://gtamp.com/images/gta2gh1492.jpg). Floating windows are a bit cluttered. When you click on a user/channel in the treeview, it should hide the current channel/user textbox and show a new textbox (same size and location).

It can be both, a tab appears when you receive a msg which window is hidden until you click on it and then the window comes out. You can maximize it if that's what you want and then use tab navigation.

Muzer
14 Nov 2008, 17:32
Tabs are used in almost all IRC clients. Ergo, tabs should be used here.

Wormetti
14 Nov 2008, 17:55
a chatwindow has not so much informations, why should it be as big as a channel window?
and why should the channel window dissapear when you open a chatwindow?

In your screenshot your floating private message window is larger than the channel chat area but I guess you did that to keep the image small.

Channel and private message textbox should only be the same size for appearance/alignment if you were switching between them using tabs or the treeview.

mIRC treeview example: channel (http://gtamp.com/worms/images/channel.jpg) and private message (http://gtamp.com/worms/images/private.jpg).

I know it's a bit easier to code popup windows instead of hiding and showing multiple frames all in the same location. I rarely get private messages on wormnet, so it doesn't really matter to me.

lookias
15 Nov 2008, 14:09
I know it's a bit easier to code popup windows instead of hiding and showing multiple frames all in the same location.

there is not really a difference in effort.

its just a question of tastes. if you know irc chatting over trillian or kopete you will aggree to me that, the way way mirc does it, is not the only one.

i prefer seperated windows for chatting.

later i may decide to implement both ways.

Malevol3nt
16 Nov 2008, 00:02
Ideas? Well, I have one (might of been mentioned allready):

Integrate more hosting options in prosnooper for WA. For example, when you click on the Host button in prosnooper you get some options:

- Select the map you want to host
- Select the scheme and other game settings
- Select the maximum number of allowed connections

Of course all of these options can be changed once WA loads up, but it would be nice to be able to select these in prosnooper beforehand, so when WA loads up you've got all the settings set up.

This brings me to the second part of this idea, which is Global Presets:

If you could select the map, scheme and other options in prosnooper before you load WA, it would be easy to have a collection of these settings in a Global Preset.

So for example you load your ProSnooper global preset named "MyFavouriteShoppaPreset", ProSnoop then only asks you for the host name and it loads all the settings and the map to WA, and you don't have to worry about anything else.

----

I don't think I have to go any further, but just imagine what else you could do. You could have an option for the map selection as "random", so you would load the global preset which would load the Scheme of selection but a random map to go with it.

Of course you would need to categorize your maps (it would be unfortunate to load a RR map with a BnG scheme wouldn't it? ;)). With all that you've got yourself a very robust application. Virtually all the trouble of map selection, scheme selection is gone, you wouldn't have to waste your time on that when you have ProSnooper where everything can be done with a mouseclick.

franpa
16 Nov 2008, 00:06
Does Direct IP hosting/joining in ProSnooper use the settings of the channel that you are currently in?

lookias
16 Nov 2008, 01:24
Ideas? Well, I have one (might of been mentioned allready):

Integrate more hosting options in prosnooper for WA. For example, when you click on the Host button in prosnooper you get some options:

Of course all of these options can be changed once WA loads up, but it would be nice to be able to select these in prosnooper beforehand, so when WA loads up you've got all the settings set up.

This brings me to the second part of this idea, which is Global Presets:

If you could select the map, scheme and other options in prosnooper before you load WA, it would be easy to have a collection of these settings in a Global Preset.

So for example you load your ProSnooper global preset named "MyFavouriteShoppaPreset", ProSnoop then only asks you for the host name and it loads all the settings and the map to WA, and you don't have to worry about anything else.

----

I don't think I have to go any further, but just imagine what else you could do. You could have an option for the map selection as "random", so you would load the global preset which would load the Scheme of selection but a random map to go with it.

Of course you would need to categorize your maps (it would be unfortunate to load a RR map with a BnG scheme wouldn't it? ;)). With all that you've got yourself a very robust application. Virtually all the trouble of map selection, scheme selection is gone, you wouldn't have to waste your time on that when you have ProSnooper where everything can be done with a mouseclick.

i just think i allready heard about that idea. i also think some peopl developed that dream while using prosnooper?

i think i allready pointed out that i dont write a frontend/gui for worms, just a snooper. :)

Muzer
16 Nov 2008, 09:32
That stuff would be hard because the W:A protocol is limited.

lookias
16 Nov 2008, 17:26
well i can now join games via my program in linux.
im using this string:

joinstring="wa://"+gameip+"?gameid="+gameid;

for a command line argument in wa.exe.
but my question is about that "&scheme" string which can be added to the joinstring.
do i need it? and where can i find it?

simhug
16 Nov 2008, 17:42
Does Direct IP hosting/joining in ProSnooper use the settings of the channel that you are currently in?

ProSnooper uses standard settings, but allows players to configure all settings relating to the game.

This wouldn't be possible without writing a DLL for Wormkit or hacking Worms: Armageddon in some way I believe.

but my question is about that "&scheme" string which can be added to the joinstring.
do i need it? and where can i find it?

You need to use the channel scheme, or the game will desync.

lookias
19 Nov 2008, 17:29
here is my latest screenshot, i removed the other screenshots from this thread.

Muzer
19 Nov 2008, 17:45
Where's the "host" button?

:p

Oh, and does joining games actually work?

lookias
19 Nov 2008, 18:04
Where's the "host" button?

:p

Oh, and does joining games actually work?

joining and hosting works ;p but there is no button for it, its very much about rightclicking to open menus.

http://lookias.freehostia.de/Bildschirmfoto-2.png

Muzer
19 Nov 2008, 18:06
joining and hosting works ;p but there is no button for it, its very much about rightclicking to open menus.
When you host a game, does it also send the proper command to the wormnet server so that others see it? Also, does it work in Linux?

lookias
19 Nov 2008, 18:18
When you host a game, does it also send the proper command to the wormnet server so that others see it? Also, does it work in Linux?

both yes. but it needs play worms armageddon on linux to work properly.

Muzer
19 Nov 2008, 18:30
Will it be integrated into PWAOL (or at least a new version of the latter be released so that the snooper tab boots your app if it's in PATH)

lookias
19 Nov 2008, 20:29
Will it be integrated into PWAOL (or at least a new version of the latter be released so that the snooper tab boots your app if it's in PATH)

no i decided against it, because that needs to much code to rewrite. i found a better solution, with the desktop icons, since they hold all the information the snooper needs to run worms correctly.
you make such an icon with play wa on linux and then you choose that icon with the snooper once. it would also support wormkit if that would run on wine,
and it supports hosting/joining with hacked wa.exe`s (for example shot doesnt end turn.exe).

lookias
22 Nov 2008, 20:56
ok here is a last screenshot of my tool, tomorrow i will make a 32bit linux build on my laptop, and upload it to my site:

http://lookias.freehostia.de/Bildschirmfoto-5.png

a windows build will be made soon aswell.

lookias
23 Nov 2008, 20:32
ok here is now a first version of my snooper (atm only for linux).
i call it `The Wheat Snooper`. it runs pretty stable, but if you find something that seems to be wrong you can right click the tray icon and open the stdout info window, it may report what the problem is.

http://lookias.freehostia.de/TheWeatSnooper.7z

the source

http://lookias.freehostia.de/TheWeatSnooper_src.7z license is GPLv2

comments about bugs or wishes are welcome.

to host or join games with the snooper, you need the newest version of play worms armageddon on linux.
http://lookias.inventforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=19#19

Gnork
30 Nov 2008, 14:47
sooo... when is the windows porting due? :P

lookias
30 Nov 2008, 17:20
sooo... when is the windows porting due? :P

soon when its stable enough (i just had some trouble with the different text formats e.g. wa:// game links or buddy messages, notices... also for querys i needed some time to think of the right behaviour for them).

for windows, i just need to rewrite a bit of code, in regard to run worms for joining/hosting.
the reason why i release a linux version at first, is that my home pc has no windows installed, so i must work on my laptop for a windows release.