PDA

View Full Version : I lag... But I don't understand why!

Mumps
14 Oct 2008, 03:57
On Wormnet games, I have a big lag problem. You when the game stops to wait for a few mins for a player to start their turn? Yeah, thats me!

But... Why?

My computer is top of the line.
My internet connection is fairly good.

Could it be my router? My firewall is turned off.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

CyberShadow
14 Oct 2008, 05:51
So when exactly does it happen? Describe the problem in more detail, please.

Mumps
15 Oct 2008, 02:10
when I am in the game. To me it appears as if the person whose turn it is after me is lagging. But everybody at that point starts complaining how I lag.

And sometimes I get disconnected by this.

CyberShadow
15 Oct 2008, 02:23
Odd.. if you're not using Wi-Fi, you may wish to check if your connection is okay. Do other Internet applications work fine?

franpa
15 Oct 2008, 02:38
And sometimes I get disconnected by this.
They may be kicking you from the game at that point. Avoid thoughs people.

Mumps
15 Oct 2008, 02:52
They may be kicking you from the game at that point. Avoid thoughs people.

No, they aren't kicking me. well, not half the time anyways. The other half I play with players who don't complain about my lag, who actually enjoy playing with me regardless.

And yeah, it's only worms that is effected. Maybe torrent programs. I notice they go a lot slower than my friend who has the exact same router I have, and exact same settings... O_o and same ISP!

franpa
15 Oct 2008, 03:00
If you are doing any downloading or uploading, then yea that would most likely be why you lag out of the game! you do make sure to set your upload speed to atleast 2K less then your max upload rate? (you need that 2K to service requests and what not)

Plasma
15 Oct 2008, 13:59
If you are doing any downloading or uploading, then yea that would most likely be why you lag out of the game!
I'm pretty sure he was saying that his torrent program itself runs slowly, not that he runs a torrent program alongside.

franpa
15 Oct 2008, 14:57
Yea well, the advice I gave can remedy his slow torrent downloads at least :P capping your download speed in your torrent program is rarely useful (leave it unlimited). setting your upload speed below your max upload speed is what makes the difference. (as well as port forwarding >.>)

Koen-ftw
16 Oct 2008, 03:29
Yea well, the advice I gave can remedy his slow torrent downloads at least :P capping your download speed in your torrent program is rarely useful (leave it unlimited). setting your upload speed below your max upload speed is what makes the difference. (as well as port forwarding >.>)

No it's not, you newb ;D. Upload speed is what counts. A swarm of peers will be more interested in a faster seeder than it will be in a slower one. By having a faster upload speed (not capping it) you will get faster download speeds on torrents. The tracker updates and peering requests produce so little traffic they're neglegable. Leaving your upload speed uncapped can, however, slow a lot of your other programs (Worms!!) down. But leaving your download speed uncapped can result in the same thing.

franpa
16 Oct 2008, 07:38
If you saturate your upload speed with uploading to people, then theres nothing left to make requests for downloading. this is why the vast majority of popular torrent programs mention that you should cap your upload speed by a small fraction.

Koen-ftw
16 Oct 2008, 19:34
If you saturate your upload speed with uploading to people, then theres nothing left to make requests for downloading. this is why the vast majority of popular torrent programs mention that you should cap your upload speed by a small fraction.

It does not matter! That is only a matter of a few kb's per hour. You're better off limiting the amount of peers you download/upload from/to.

And trust me, I know my **** - I have two dedicated torrent servers running and have spent a lot of time tweaking their settings and the settings of my home connection. I've figured out limiting your upload speed will slow your download speed down. Up to you what you want to do with it.

Sidenote though, it also depends a lot on which client you use. For instance I get way better performance with rTorrent than I would with uTorrent for instance. And if you download from public trackers, you might benefit from enabling DHT & Peer Exchange. They will deliver you more peers and by that a faster speed.