PDA

View Full Version : WormKit updates + WormNAT2, the ultimate last-resort solution for hosting problems

CyberShadow
13 Oct 2008, 06:11
WormNAT2, a new WormKit module, is a rewrite of the old WormNAT. Anyone using W:A 3.6.28.0 or newer will be able to join games hosted using WormNAT2, without any special software. No configuration is necessary. This is made possible by using a reverse proxy hosted on a dedicated server.

WormKit has been updated. Minor fixes and improvements that weren't published have been released; two old modules (WormNAT and DirectWormNET) have been obsoleted, but their source code is still included.

http://worms.thecybershadow.net/wormkit/

franpa
13 Oct 2008, 10:59
can you provide a copy where the zip name is not wormkit? it trips my Virus Scanners heurustics scan and would be a bit annoying on my end to reconfigure the virus scanner to ignore it.

bonz
13 Oct 2008, 11:01
can you provide a copy where the zip name is not wormkit? it trips my Virus Scanners heurustics scan and would be a bit annoying on my end to reconfigure the virus scanner to ignore it.

Disable virus scanner
Download file
Rename file
Enable virus scanner

franpa
13 Oct 2008, 11:06
SHUSH !11!!

btw, can't download it now o_O

bonz
13 Oct 2008, 11:11
Here you go:
http://www.mediafire.com/?hnnzxunghgz

franpa
13 Oct 2008, 11:18
Thanks, you can still download it from his site? its not just me that now can't download it from him?

bonz
13 Oct 2008, 11:28
Thanks, you can still download it from his site? its not just me that now can't download it from him?
I can download fine from his site.

CyberShadow
13 Oct 2008, 22:17
Has anyone tried WormNAT2 yet?

CyberShadow
14 Oct 2008, 00:12
Looks like I forgot to include a DLL file required by WormNAT2 (borlndmm.dll). How come no one complained about this?

MihaiS
14 Oct 2008, 00:18
Just a wild guess... no one tested it yet. Maybe few to none aware of the Wormkit update use WormNAT.

CyberShadow
14 Oct 2008, 00:22
WormNAT2 obsoletes WormNAT, HostingBuddy, Hamachi and similar solutions - it allows "normally" hosting games that are joinable by everyone and don't require set-up using text commands. Thus, it should be useful for anyone who can't host games normally.

Etho.
14 Oct 2008, 02:02
I just tested WormNAT2 and it worked excellently. It is very easy to setup and other players do not need to have WormNAT2 to join your games.

lefortek
14 Oct 2008, 17:40
Looks like I forgot to include a DLL file required by WormNAT2 (borlndmm.dll). How come no one complained about this?

So,did you update WormNAT2 for that "borlndmm.dll" thing?

CyberShadow
14 Oct 2008, 18:14
Yes, I added it to the WormKit ZIP file.

GreeN
14 Oct 2008, 19:08
Just tested this and it works perfectly! Nice job :)

How limited is the servers bandwidth?

CyberShadow
14 Oct 2008, 19:13
Unmetered 100Mbit.

GreeN
14 Oct 2008, 21:09
Whereas HostingBuddy is running at about 7Mb?

CyberShadow
15 Oct 2008, 00:55
You'll have to ask Byte about his Internet connection :)

pisto
15 Oct 2008, 21:45
can you set on/off wormnat2 without moving around the dll?

CyberShadow
17 Oct 2008, 09:14
You can't. You usually either can or can't host, I figured turning it on/off woudn't be something people would need to do often.

the_nic
17 Oct 2008, 15:47
Works fine.. very nice!

pisto
17 Oct 2008, 18:15
I think most of the lazy and pc-afraid users will use this module to forget hosting problem, just for save 2 minutes learning how to forward a port. And if finally someone tell them how to, they might just keep this module and continue wasting the proxy's bandwith.

I think so that it should include a small check to see if the hosting port is opened or not (the proxy software could do it easily) or try to open them in the windows firewall, and through UPnP (I've never seen it working tough).

pisto
17 Oct 2008, 20:27
bug!
an *italian* friend of mine tried to use this module at 21:27 GMT+1, the result was a host with argentinian flag (wtf!) and no ip in the game list:
<GAME �riprovo wm-MrKaos 26 1 0 3521900 1686590537><BR>

(two spaces between wm-MrKaos and 26, but vBlletin shrink them)

GreeN
18 Oct 2008, 01:59
I also experienced this with a friend trying to use it, the IP shown was "12", and I obviously could not connect. But the Argentinian flag occurrence was oddly, also the same.

CyberShadow
18 Oct 2008, 02:12
I think most of the lazy and pc-afraid users will use this module to forget hosting problem, just for save 2 minutes learning how to forward a port. And if finally someone tell them how to, they might just keep this module and continue wasting the proxy's bandwith.

I think so that it should include a small check to see if the hosting port is opened or not (the proxy software could do it easily) or try to open them in the windows firewall, and through UPnP (I've never seen it working tough).Well, that's why I put in the nag message - I hoped it would be annoying enough for people who don't really need WormNAT2. W:A doesn't consume much network traffic anyway, so there's no problem with server resources.

bug!
an *italian* friend of mine tried to use this module at 21:27 GMT+1, the result was a host with argentinian flag (wtf!) and no ip in the game list:
<GAME �riprovo wm-MrKaos 26 1 0 3521900 1686590537><BR>

(two spaces between wm-MrKaos and 26, but vBlletin shrink them)

If you can reproduce the problem consistently, please create the empty file "WormNAT2.log" in W:A's folder. This will enable logging to that file. Reproduce the problem, and post the log file here.

pisto
18 Oct 2008, 15:06
today everything works fine.
god knows.

Diablo vt
18 Oct 2008, 19:52
Perfect! It works like a dream. Well done and thank you CyberShadow.

pisto
19 Oct 2008, 12:56
some other users say that it blocks the access to wormnet. I'll get their log.

the_nic
19 Oct 2008, 17:25
Is there a way to make it working for direct IP games, too? Or to find out the proxy address?

pisto
19 Oct 2008, 19:09
some other users say that it blocks the access to wormnet. I'll get their log.
again, these dumb italians' fault.
Is there a way to make it working for direct IP games, too? Or to find out the proxy address?
no (as of now).

CyberShadow
20 Oct 2008, 07:32
(21:32:55) [Casso] Hi !!
(21:33:17) [Casso] Do you know WormsNat2 ??
(21:33:26) [Casso] NEW
(21:33:44) [Casso] By Pisto

I wonder what that was about :p

pisto
20 Oct 2008, 08:18
lol!
he's a young user on wormsmania. Lots of people there think that I can cheat online games and I'm an official updater of worms:D

mrkaos
20 Oct 2008, 19:57
lol!
he's a young user on wormsmania. Lots of people there think that I can cheat online games and I'm an official updater of worms:D

No...
Only this Idiot!

wfus
21 Oct 2008, 04:03
I have had a problem with this. I can host games, but no one can join them. For more info, please look at my topic in the "Worms Armageddon Support" forum.

Thanks. :)

Muzer
21 Oct 2008, 18:40
HBK (wfus) has the same problem as pisto's friends. What was their problem, pisto?

<GAME ßFull_Wormage HBK 0 1 0 3534246 1686585927><BR>

(two spaces between HBK and 0)

EDIT: I meant it's the same as the first problem, not the blocked out of wormnet problem.

pisto
21 Oct 2008, 18:47
HBK (wfus) has the same problem as pisto's friends. What was their problem, pisto?

<GAME ßFull_Wormage HBK 0 1 0 3534246 1686585927><BR>

(two spaces between HBK and 0)

EDIT: I meant it's the same as the first problem, not the blocked out of wormnet problem.Sometimes it happens for apparently no reasons. But:If you can reproduce the problem consistently, please create the empty file "WormNAT2.log" in W:A's folder. This will enable logging to that file. Reproduce the problem, and post the log file here.

wfus
21 Oct 2008, 19:04
Is that what i should do with Notepad?

Muzer
21 Oct 2008, 19:06
Is that what i should do with Notepad?
Just right click in your WA folder, new, text file, rename it to WormNAT2.log, then start W:A, host a game, if it still doesn't work, exit, and attach the file.

wfus
21 Oct 2008, 19:10
You mean the .TXT file type? If so is it "WormNAT2.log"?

Edit:

I have hosted a game, closed WA and checked the log and it's empty. What now? :(

Diablo vt
21 Oct 2008, 19:32
I've just got an error logging into WormNet. I've attached the WormNAT2.log file.

wfus: When uploading the error log, rename "WormNAT2.log" to "WormNAT2.txt".

wfus
21 Oct 2008, 19:50
You mean like keep it the same until i get to the attachments. Then change it to that before uploading? :)

Diablo vt
21 Oct 2008, 20:01
You mean like keep it the same until i get to the attachments. Then change it to that before uploading? :)

Only change the file extension to .txt yes.

wfus
21 Oct 2008, 20:07
I just checked in the log and it's empty.

Diablo vt
21 Oct 2008, 20:15
I just checked in the log and it's empty.

Is it named WormNAT2.log and did you try hosting?

wfus
21 Oct 2008, 21:12
Yes it is named WormNAT2.log and i have tried hosting :P

Plainplane
21 Oct 2008, 21:26
Yes it is named WormNAT2.log and i have tried hosting :PIs the file "WormNAT2.log" with a text extension (as in, automatically recognized as a text document)?

That is not what you want. You want a file "WormNat2" with the ".log" extension.

CyberShadow
21 Oct 2008, 21:55
To create an empty WormNAT2.log file, follow these instructions:

Start Notepad
Click File -> Save as...
Browse to the folder where you installed W:A
In the File type drop-down, select All files
Type WormNAT2.log in the File name box
Click Save

wfus
21 Oct 2008, 23:03
Thanks CyberShadow. :) I will edit this post (unless someone replies) with the attachment of this file.

Here is the attachment.

>>> 31943 <<<

pisto
24 Oct 2008, 19:52
got it!
it's the same error that my friends have had, and the log clearly shows that it happens when you can't resolve proxy.worms2d.info.

EDIT:
I found a fix trying with my friend MrKaos. you just have to force your pc to resolve the DNS name of the proxy to 91.121.85.144.
browse to your windows folder/system32/drivers/etc and open the file "hosts" with notepad. now add this line

91.121.85.144 proxy.worms2d.info

(tab between the ip and the string).
remember to remove this string as soon as CyberShadow says that he's fixed the DNS problems, and whenever you can't again host with wormnat2 (the ip above might have changed).

mrkaos
24 Oct 2008, 20:37
work fine!
TY Pisto ... You are the Best! :cool:

CyberShadow
24 Oct 2008, 23:27
Grrr, OVH's secondary DNS service is acting up again.
I'll try re-adding the domain.

CyberShadow
25 Oct 2008, 00:40
Everything should work now.

lmindel
25 Oct 2008, 02:56
This is so amazying! I can host for the very first time! Im so gratefull! :)
THX A LOT! U made an Woms Lover so happy tonight!

:) Cheers! xSQDxOdin

lmindel
25 Oct 2008, 03:22
One question... is there any way to turn the Friendly Reminder off? Tx, cheers!

xSQDxOdin :)

CyberShadow
25 Oct 2008, 03:35
No, you can't turn it off. It's there for a reason.

lmindel
25 Oct 2008, 03:42
Oh ok ok, tx... u know, im trying to host using the ProSnooper, and i wont let me. Althought I redirected the launch exe to the new wormkit.exe
Do u know why this might be happening?

Tx, xSQDxOdin

CyberShadow
25 Oct 2008, 04:07
It won't work that way. W:A needs to be hosting the game, not ProSnooper.

franpa
25 Oct 2008, 05:00
Oh, yea Prosnooper hosts via DirectIP which WormNAT2 doesnt work with.

lmindel
25 Oct 2008, 05:05
Oh, yea Prosnooper hosts via DirectIP which WormNAT2 doesnt work with.

I c... thx very much, both of ya! :)

CyberShadow
7 Nov 2008, 17:18
WormNAT2 has been updated. Changes include fixing a bug that caused connections to fail randomly on some systems, as well as some internal changes to the packets processing library.

Louie
9 Nov 2008, 21:57
i cant host originally, but i tryed wormnat2 and it works. great job.

just had one question. im not sure if its like this if you are able to host without wormnat2, but some custom lvls i want to play on online when i host i dont find in the scrollbar. when you host yourself without hostingbuddy, how do you import levels? i want to be able to host some of the reinforcements maps. and on the worms map site with all custom maps, how do you find out a maps number which is uploaded by someone else? thanks /lou

Shirdel
11 Nov 2008, 10:17
I've tried hosting with WormNAT2 and it doesn't work. My I.P. appears as normal. Know what the problem is?

CyberShadow
11 Nov 2008, 18:28
"it doesn't work" doesn't tell me anything. Be more specific with your problem description.

Shirdel
12 Nov 2008, 13:28
Well... Do I need WormNAT1 enabled? I deleted all the other stuff from my WormKit folder because it kept on crashing.

franpa
12 Nov 2008, 13:31
you need to delete and nuke your copy of WormNAT1, only use the latest version.

Shirdel
12 Nov 2008, 14:08
you need to delete your copy of WormNAT1, only use the latest version.

I can't think of anything else that's the problem then. Should the WormNAT2 file be a txt or a log? And should it be empty or not? And should my I.P. Address be normal when hosting?

GreeN
12 Nov 2008, 14:55
The "WormNAT2 file" is a small collection of DLL files that only take effect when opening worms via Wormkit.exe. It doesn't sound like you've taken a look at the Read Me.

-> \Team17\Worms Armageddon\WormKitModules\WormNAT2\WormNAT2.txt

bonz
12 Nov 2008, 15:22
Shirdel, you are hereby denied to be awarded the RTFM trophy for an indefinite time.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7910/rtfmawarddeniedrm5.png

CyberShadow
13 Nov 2008, 00:09
If you don't get the "Friendly WormNAT2 reminder" when starting WormKit, then WormNAT2 is not installed properly (see GreeN's post).

pisto
14 Nov 2008, 06:41
have you graduated?

CyberShadow
14 Nov 2008, 06:55
No, it's just viral advertising. I'm on my last year though

KRD
14 Nov 2008, 07:23
It's okay, though, you're not too late. :o

MihaiS
14 Nov 2008, 07:23
No, it's just viral advertising. I'm on my last year though

Ah, I thought it's trendy.

Shirdel
15 Nov 2008, 10:33
If you don't get the "Friendly WormNAT2 reminder" when starting WormKit, then WormNAT2 is not installed properly (see GreeN's post). No, I don't get the friendly reminder. How do I install WormNAT2?

GreeN
15 Nov 2008, 11:23
You baffle me, Shirdel. Completely.

CyberShadow
15 Nov 2008, 16:43
You follow the enclosed instructions, like it's said on WormKit's homepage. GreeN already said where the file is located.

Shirdel
17 Nov 2008, 11:45
To activate a module, simply copy its files from the WormKitModules folder to your Worms: Armageddon folder.

Did this, and it worked! Just gonna try hosting now...
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AFTER 2 YEARS, I CAN HOST!!!!!!!!
Thank you so much CyberShadow, you are now officially my idol! :D

me_potter_
17 Nov 2008, 13:08
is their any way to remove the "Friendly WormNAT2 reminder" its anoying!

bonz
17 Nov 2008, 14:04
is their any way to remove the "Friendly WormNAT2 reminder" its anoying!
is their any way to remove people's ignorance towards "properly forwarded ports and firewall exceptions" its annoying!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

franpa
17 Nov 2008, 14:10
Some people don't have access to the router or proxy to allow the ports :) like people playing it at Uni or College etc.

bonz
17 Nov 2008, 14:17
Some people don't have access to the router or proxy to allow the ports :) like people playing it at Uni or College etc.
Those people shouldn't use their connection to play anyway.

CyberShadow
17 Nov 2008, 16:21
The WormNAT2 proxy server has already tunneled more than 1GB of data. I'd rather people only use it when they really need to. If you really didn't have any other options, I think you'll gladly accept this compromise :) If not, smarten up and read that Hosting Guide (http://worms2d.info/Hosting_Guide) very slowly and carefully!

Melon
17 Nov 2008, 22:57
Those people shouldn't use their connection to play anyway.
Not always true. It's allowed under the terms of my halls of residence. Two years ago I even e-mailed the University IT guys to try and get WA to host over the uni network.

(Couldn't get it to work though, no matter what I did)

DudexTm
18 Dec 2008, 06:35
Hey all, back into worming after a break and i've been sampling the delights of "Wormkit".
I know this is a little off-topic but i'm having some problems while playing using the wormkit extension rather than WA.exe, some games hosted by others work fine but i'm getting desync from more games now than when i first started using it... all files and modules are the latest versions so is there a conflict with something that i may have missed ?
This generally happens during "Normal" hosted games rather than the host using Wormkit.
I will post up any info necessary if needed.

CyberShadow
18 Dec 2008, 07:21
What modules are you using? If you use non-standard scheme settings while only some of the players are using wkRubberWorm, desyncs may occur.

lDarKl
18 Dec 2008, 07:55
If you're using WormKit.exe and wkRubberWorm (which I assume you do; correct me if I'm wrong) and the host the standard wa.exe then it's higly likely that the game desynchs at some point (usually when a player leaves the game). That's my experience..
Now I've put wkRubberWorm into the separate modules folder (so it's disabled), still run the game via WormKit.exe and the desynchs stopped - only getting Rubber out if it's needed.

DudexTm
18 Dec 2008, 09:22
Just running Wormkit to play a shoppa for instance, if i host its fine, but if someone else hosts i sometimes (not always) desync, which seems odd as most games will work ok no matter what the scheme, so i'm wondering if wormkit is in some way incompatible to a certain version of worms ?
NOTE, this desync is at the beginning of the game before any turns are taken, as soon as everyone loads, the desync occurs.
granted i could just join the game in WA.exe and it would work fine, but as i'm now using Wormkit more frequently to play in certain games, it just seems strange that it wont always play a standard game when i join certain hosts.

franpa
18 Dec 2008, 12:23
If you're using WormKit.exe and wkRubberWorm (which I assume you do; correct me if I'm wrong) and the host the standard wa.exe then it's higly likely that the game desynchs at some point (usually when a player leaves the game). That's my experience..
Now I've put wkRubberWorm into the separate modules folder (so it's disabled), still run the game via WormKit.exe and the desynchs stopped - only getting Rubber out if it's needed.

This issue (cascade of desyncs) is actually a bug in 3.6.29.0 of W:A. The dsyncs you mention Dude, sound like you are joining other peoples games that don't use Rubberworm, yet use schemes that enable rubberworm features. this will of course desync you from the host because your game experience is altered by rubberworm while the hosts game isn't affected by it :/ one day, rubberworm will autodetect if the host has it and will auto-disable if the host doesn't and if other players are using the wrong version, notify them.

Dario
18 Dec 2008, 12:24
In my case it seems that WormNAT2 is somehow not compatible with some rubbers, I've been having constant desync problems (after the first turn) with a few guys that use rubberworm when I am the host (even if I am not using the proxy -when my normal routing works-).
Could it be possible that WormNAT2 is somehow not compatible with some rubberworm modules?, or is it that I finally managed to put part of my soul inside my computer and transmitted it my hate towards rubberworm?.

CyberShadow
18 Dec 2008, 15:46
WormKit by itself does absolutely nothing!
All functionality is provided by the modules which WormKit just loads, so saying "WormKit causes this problem to appear" is not informative.

DudexTm
18 Dec 2008, 16:38
ok, wkrubberworms is enabled, my misunderstanding as i thought this was only active in games with all parties using the same module, now i understand.
Thanks for the info and help.

lDarKl
18 Dec 2008, 18:37
Told ya. :)

e30fanat
31 Dec 2008, 13:26
WormNAT2 not working... In game chat one user-BEAR-RUN1 have the same problem. Why not working wormNAT2?
What the problem?
Please help!

Frederic
14 Apr 2009, 12:22
will WormNAT2 work with Worms World Party?
i can't host on wwp wormnet so i need ''a last resort''.

Muzer
14 Apr 2009, 19:46
No .

lDarKl
15 Apr 2009, 00:33
Last resort: Get WA. :p

MihaiS_v2
15 Apr 2009, 12:21
will WormNAT2 work with Worms World Party?
i can't host on wwp wormnet so i need ''a last resort''.

Or read this http://forum.team17.co.uk/showpost.php?p=687508&postcount=1

If in need, contact me.

CyberShadow
15 Apr 2009, 13:56
Or read this http://forum.team17.co.uk/showpost.php?p=687508&postcount=1

If in need, contact me.MihaiS, you do know that WWP can only join games hosted on port 17011, right? How many external IPs do you have to spare to forward to everyone who asks for one?

MihaiS_v2
16 Apr 2009, 16:36
Three. If more want to play at the same time, bad luck. They could take turns though, as I can easily create a script for scheduled interchanging of the port forwarding operations.

wowwow
26 Jun 2009, 14:09
when i download the rar file i must extract the files but im not sure where i must extract them , i do that in W:A carpet , but i can't host

Say me if i do anythink bad.:-/:confused:

CyberShadow
26 Jun 2009, 21:35
Read WormKit's web page again, carefully.

CyberShadow
15 Nov 2010, 13:39
I added a hack to WormNAT2 which might fix the desyncs some people seem to be experiencing on new systems. If you have desyncs/disconnects when hosting with WormNAT2, please try the new version.

CakeDoer
13 Dec 2010, 21:45
Whoopee, I finally managed to host without WormNAT2 after reformatting! Allowed the ports and WA.exe from the Windows Firewall, but unlike last time, it worked perfectly.

Tynugent
11 Mar 2011, 00:58
i got wormkit and rubber worm and put rubber worm in the folder and i run wormkit and i host a game and the commands dont work :s how can i fix it