PDA

View Full Version : Custom Maps- Limits on type and size please

Morgoth
27 Sep 2008, 00:01
I save on PNG but it wont allow it to process in the game. What do I do wrong?

KRD
27 Sep 2008, 00:57
http://worms2d.info/Colour_map

Morgoth
27 Sep 2008, 10:16
what if i wanna enrich in detail? Some of the game's custom maps are very colourful. They dont look 256colour to me. How can I make maps like that/

CyberShadow
27 Sep 2008, 10:44
They aren't. You can't.

balver
27 Sep 2008, 15:26
Some of the game's custom maps are very colourful. They dont look 256colour to me.

That's because they're made using dithering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dithering) to trick human perception.

SwampWorm
27 Sep 2008, 17:25
That depends on how are you creating a new map. Are you drawing it from scratch or converting existing one.
Drawing from scratch is easier as you can limit colors used from the start, so conversion is painless.
If you are reducing colors in existing image you are forced to use color reducing algorithams that exist in programs like Photoshop which often give poor results because they are using odd choices when deciding on color palette. You can make then a bit better if you build palette yourself by picking most noticeable colors in image which is boring work.

@CyberShadow: I don't agree with you, because existing maps prove that it is possible to have 64 colors images that look rich in color and are doable (simply because they exist, they are not imagination).

Metal Alex
1 Oct 2008, 22:20
@CyberShadow: I don't agree with you, because existing maps prove that it is possible to have 64 colors images that look rich in color and are doable (simply because they exist, they are not imagination).

Yeah, you do that, argue with who made that feature.

CyberShadow
1 Oct 2008, 23:11
I meant that the maps don't have 256 colours or more, and that you can't make working maps like that. I thought that was pretty obvious.

SwampWorm
2 Oct 2008, 10:55
My bad, I missunderstood. :o
I was just trying to be helpful.

David_VII
22 Nov 2008, 20:39
Can't you make a big map then edit it in game, or at least the game gives it one of its land things like beach or forest?

I wanted to make some of the ones I had made in game by exporting them and changing them to png but they just stay white, pretty pointless :(

thanks
David

franpa
23 Nov 2008, 05:40
you can't degenerate a Large Colour Map to a .Bit (IIRC)