PDA

View Full Version : WINE, (Ubuntu) loading Black Screen on WA

greyze
19 Sep 2008, 14:12
I am quite the newb to Ubuntu, but I followed Cybers intructions on how to play on it as best i could, im still getting problems though.

I have WINE v 1.0

I installed WA just fine, also applied the latest patch. If I run WA now, the screen is all black, can still click on things in wa and hear sounds. But its all black, im guessing its because i need to install that DDraw.dll file from what it said in the guide. but when i extract that file and put it in the WA directory, I load up WA and I get this error...

** Error ** ; from Graphics Subsystem , Unable to set desired video mode

I know further down the guide it says who to "Run WA" but every time i attempt to change directory so i can type wine wa.exe /NOINTRO it keeps saying there is no such directory

I got such a big feeling ive followed the guide wrong, is that error normal and the only way to avoid is by doing the NOINTRO command?

help /beg

CyberShadow
19 Sep 2008, 14:19
/nointro won't help. Wine is reporting that it doesn't support the screen mode that W:A is trying to set (640x480x8 bits). I can't recommend anything, though (and I don't remember writing any Linux installation guides either).

Muzer
19 Sep 2008, 17:11
I am quite the newb to Ubuntu, but I followed Cybers intructions on how to play on it as best i could, im still getting problems though.

I have WINE v 1.0

I installed WA just fine, also applied the latest patch. If I run WA now, the screen is all black, can still click on things in wa and hear sounds. But its all black, im guessing its because i need to install that DDraw.dll file from what it said in the guide. but when i extract that file and put it in the WA directory, I load up WA and I get this error...

** Error ** ; from Graphics Subsystem , Unable to set desired video mode

I know further down the guide it says who to "Run WA" but every time i attempt to change directory so i can type wine wa.exe /NOINTRO it keeps saying there is no such directory

I got such a big feeling ive followed the guide wrong, is that error normal and the only way to avoid is by doing the NOINTRO command?

help /beg
I would recommend using play WA on linux (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=37128)

greyze
20 Sep 2008, 09:47
Sorry, i meant this link (http://worms2d.info/Installing_WA_on_Linux,_using_WINE_(original_CD)) , i was assuming you wrote this hehe.

That file "play WA on Linux" does work but its very very laggy and unstable, when trying to run the game through WINE, the game runs very smooth minus the black screen issue. Did plenty of googling to find out about this error, no one seems to know about it so im guessing its just this old crappy laptop, thanks for trying though :)

CyberShadow
20 Sep 2008, 10:18
Error messages like the one you encountered were implemented in the last Beta. Previously, the game would just crash.