PDA

View Full Version : Odd character fault?

GreeN
14 Sep 2008, 19:13
Is there any obvious reason as to why I am presented with the letter "J" in replacement to the Pound symbol "£" whenever I type it within the in-game chat? A similar bug I experienced, was viewing "Ш" in replacement to "Ø", within someones user name.

This bug occurs only within a game, not in the game lobby or otherwise.

CyberShadow
14 Sep 2008, 19:22
Does the same happen in W:A 3.6.28.0?

GreeN
14 Sep 2008, 21:22
Just tested, and yes the problem remains with 3.6.28.0. I'm assuming it's something on my end that's giving me problems, but I have no idea what it could be.

CyberShadow
14 Sep 2008, 21:26
Well, there is no Ш in 3.6.28.0... I assume it's some OS setting regarding code pages, encodings or locales.

GreeN
14 Sep 2008, 22:53
I only tested it by emulating with Test Stuff.. I'm assuming the end result is the same?

Any idea's on how I could narrow down the culprits? It seems to only be a recent problem that I've had, although it's been many a night since I've even glanced at such settings.

CyberShadow
14 Sep 2008, 22:57
Maybe you should start by testing it with the real thing (http://worms.thecybershadow.net/files/WA_update-3.6.28.0_Beta_Installer.exe).

wormf00d
15 Sep 2008, 10:44
Interesting little bug indeed.

Ive set my keyboard layout to uk and it appears that the new patch doesn't have the "Ø" or "ø" charachter at all, using the uk layout that is.

That goes for lobby chat and in-game chat. While the lobby displays both chars in someones nickname for example, if u try copy/pasting it from the nick it comes out as "Ш". As for in-game chat it doesnt display it right in the nickname to begin with.

Oh and this is just with the .29 patch, .28 works fine :)

robowurmz
15 Sep 2008, 17:43
Well, since a UK keyboard doesn't have the "Ø" and "ø" characters, why would they appear with a UK layout?

wormf00d
15 Sep 2008, 23:53
Err why shoudlnt they? Its got nothing to do with the layout, these chars are pre-set in the table.

CyberShadow
16 Sep 2008, 03:43
Ive set my keyboard layout to uk and it appears that the new patch doesn't have the "Ø" or "ø" charachter at all, using the uk layout that is. What do you mean? What do you get when trying to type that character?

That goes for lobby chat and in-game chat. While the lobby displays both chars in someones nickname for example, if u try copy/pasting it from the nick it comes out as "Ш". W:A 3.6.29.0 uses the current input language to determine if it should do encoding translation. It only does any kind of translation if the input (keyboard) language is one that uses the Cyrillic alphabet. Are your OS input languages set to English?

As for in-game chat it doesnt display it right in the nickname to begin with.If you can find a replay that has text that doesn't display in 3.6.29.0 but is fine is 3.6.28.0, please post it here.

GreeN
5 May 2009, 21:46
Old thread but I forgot I had solved this "problem". I just encountered the same situation in a recent game and couldn't remember the solution so I searched for this thread and it all came back to me.

It seems that when you alter/change the Gfx.dir file in DATA\Gfx\, these characters malfunction (I was experimenting with PX last time, though recently I have been messing with sprites).

I have no idea what causes this but I'd like to hear what you (CS) have to say about it? Is there a way to prevent it from happening with an altered graphics directory?

CyberShadow
6 May 2009, 04:12
Well, if you edited the font images, then I think it's obvious that the in-game appearance of characters will be changed. Only you will see the difference in characters.

GreeN
6 May 2009, 16:32
Well as I would have assumed you would assume yourself, I have made no (Intentional) alteration to any font images at all. May this be a bug with the directory editor? I'm using an exact replica of the original Gfx.dir file barring the weapon sprites that I'd changed

The editor was created a good few years ago, is it possible that the recent character updates are being disregarded when exporting the directory? This would explain the loss of characters when compiling the directory again

Muzer
6 May 2009, 17:33
On this topic: What does Deadcode use to edit GFX1 and GFX0.DIR and could it be released to the public? An editor for the new graphics directories would be great.

Or even better, switch to .tar.bz2 in the future :p (or .tar.gz, since W:A already depends on Gzip)

CyberShadow
6 May 2009, 17:44
The editor was created a good few years ago, is it possible that the recent character updates are being disregarded when exporting the directory? This would explain the loss of characters when compiling the directory againI don't know.On this topic: What does Deadcode use to edit GFX1 and GFX0.DIR and could it be released to the public? An editor for the new graphics directories would be great.No, no it wouldn't.Or even better, switch to .tar.bz2 in the future :p (or .tar.gz, since W:A already depends on Gzip)Compressed TARs don't have random file access. Zip is a much better alternative for this scenario.