PDA

View Full Version : Some Programming Questions?

Laban
14 Sep 2008, 18:10
1. Id like to add language support to the in game chatbox - where do i start off? I've seen russian was added so i figure it's doable.

2. Is it possible to change the inside of the thinking bubble so theres someting written there, maybe a picture even? - just a fun idea.

3. Is it possible to create a weapon trajectory claculation system that would allow some sort of sight that would function with the shot as well as the thrown weapons? - and before i get flamed for asking - same as before just for fun and testing limits, no cheating, noobing xD or whatever.

Thanks in advance

CyberShadow
14 Sep 2008, 18:53
1. Id like to add language support to the in game chatbox - where do i start off? I've seen russian was added so i figure it's doable.
Adding a new language is a lot of work. You need to edit fonts, add characters to the character table (http://worms2d.info/WA_character_table), create new encoding mappings, not to mention translating a lot of text.
2. Is it possible to change the inside of the thinking bubble so theres someting written there, maybe a picture even? - just a fun idea.
Sure, you can change the game's graphics with the directory editor (http://worms2d.info/WA_directory_editor). Only you will see the change, of course.
3. Is it possible to create a weapon trajectory claculation system that would allow some sort of sight that would function with the shot as well as the thrown weapons? - and before i get flamed for asking - same as before just for fun and testing limits, no cheating, noobing xD or whatever.
The tool-assist versions of W:A do that (among other things). Of course, they're not available to the public.

bonz
14 Sep 2008, 19:32
Sure, you can change the game's graphics with the directory editor (http://worms2d.info/WA_directory_editor). Only you will see the change, of course.
I think that would be a fun feature.

IIRC, prior to the release of WOW1 they did a survey on the forum and asked people about suggestions for small iconic images to use for those bubbles.

It could be selectable from the team options screen, like with flags and graves and people could add their own custom bubbles.
Maybe it could be changed on the fly during a game by entering the file name of your custom bubble graphic in the chat box with some command.

robowurmz
14 Sep 2008, 20:38
That'd be cool. Fun little gimmick!

b1llygo4t
15 Sep 2008, 00:26
that is an awesome idea. id like to see emoticon activated animations, like if you typed :P all your worms would stick out their tongues

robowurmz
15 Sep 2008, 07:16
That is also a fantastic idea.

They have plenty of expressions built in, so activating them on chat should work.

Laban
15 Sep 2008, 10:16
CyberShadow - thanks a lot - as always :D

1. I guess that the most work is in the creation of new encoding mappings - but im still up for it, even if I'll get too lazy and won't finish it, at least I'll get to learn something. so are there any manuals/ tutorials out there on the subject?

2. I was thinking of something like an add-on that would allow anyone who has it to see the same. As to how it'll work, I was thinking of different script/pic showing every time you push the "T" button, or maybe different buttons for different bubbles.

3. I'm sure you didn't mean they work in game? - that was my intention anyways.
and do you think something like this would ever be available (to the public of course)?

b1llygo4t

Great idea :D

OFF Question

I'm in the process of making my own, very first, map - when I tried to test it in game - I got "unable to load map" or something like that. the map is 1920x696 saved in PNG, whats wrong? please

Thank all

Muzer
15 Sep 2008, 17:56
www.worms2d.info/colour_map

yakuza
15 Sep 2008, 18:56
I can't wait for my thinking swastikas.

CyberShadow
15 Sep 2008, 19:11
1. I guess that the most work is in the creation of new encoding mappings - but im still up for it, even if I'll get too lazy and won't finish it, at least I'll get to learn something. so are there any manuals/ tutorials out there on the subject?I don't think you want to do this yourself. It's enough work for someone who has access to the source code.
2. I was thinking of something like an add-on that would allow anyone who has it to see the same. As to how it'll work, I was thinking of different script/pic showing every time you push the "T" button, or maybe different buttons for different bubbles.Good luck with that.
3. I'm sure you didn't mean they work in game? - that was my intention anyways.Of course they do. How else did you expect it to be?
and do you think something like this would ever be available (to the public of course)?Maybe, one day. When regular replays are signed/encrypted.

Laban
15 Sep 2008, 21:54
CyberShadow - once again, thanks a lot for your insightful comments.

I'm gonna respond to the things you've said, though I'm not expecting anything back since I'm starting to feel like an awful nag :D - Nevertheless I would appreciate you ansering

1. The only problem is - if I won't do it, no one will - I don't won't to sound condescending or anytinging, but unfortunately thats just how it is.

2. As you probably assumed correctly by now - my programming knowledge sums up to jack squat (and thats being kind :D), so when I'm "tossing words to the table here" - you can think of them only as possible ideas. The key word here is - Possible, the second one would have to be - Will ; if I, even slightly, inspired someone who actually knows what hes doing, then I did my share.

3. I thought you ment they are applicable only to the design stage, not in a live game with other players.

Maybe, one day. When regular replays are signed/encrypted

What does that mean? should I take it that you worry for cheating? or maybe Im just not getting you right?

Muzer

DOE! *Smacks self in forehead* how stupid of me

thanks man

bonz
15 Sep 2008, 22:00
I can't wait for my thinking swastikas.
Well, people can already create maps, flags and graves with such content.

The game contains the Confederate Battle Flag, which is objected by some people.
(Notably by trippenz who was ridiculed though.)

b1llygo4t
16 Sep 2008, 09:56
mr cybershadow

srsly tho, can we have some sort of new user customizable stuff? it couldnt be that hard to have customizable thought bubbles, we have flags n graves, why not? and emoticon activated animations i think could be easy to do. its pretty boss when someone is tricking about through a wxw hitting t as they go

i remember seeing something about flaming life bars. it d be cool if there where a few lifebars to pick from. nothing to dramatic, i dont know if the flaming bars were animated or not, itd be cool enough just to have a skinned life bar. even if they were just built into the game and selectable.

can we have special characters in our names on wormnet? ` just isnt enough to make a cool clan tag

can we add animations to the game? a good amount of us have gfx skills,

my favorite animation is the worm eating its own poop btw

franpa
16 Sep 2008, 10:03
If anything, the only reason it would be added is because A thought bubble is only 1 frame, so it is fairly easy to implement various pictures and stuff in them.

MrBunsy
16 Sep 2008, 10:05
emoticon activated animations i think could be easy to do.
Easy? Possibly. Good value for time required? I highly doubt it.

Plasma
16 Sep 2008, 11:18
my favorite animation is the worm eating its own poop btw
I'm pretty sure it was eating a chunk of the ground. Considering that's what worms eat.

b1llygo4t
16 Sep 2008, 11:24
no way, its poo. and if you look at it all ground is poo anyway

MrBunsy
16 Sep 2008, 11:29
and if you look at it all ground is poo anyway

I don't want to live where you live :p

b1llygo4t
16 Sep 2008, 11:40
what, earth? arent we all big bang poo? srsly what is natural gas??? its poo. what does your veggies grow in? poo. what is your used motor oil? is god damn poo. ever swim in anything but a pool??? POOP!!1!

MrBunsy
16 Sep 2008, 11:41
I suggest you read this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soil)

edit: And this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_gas)

b1llygo4t
16 Sep 2008, 11:42
woah dude, i barely submited my reply

MrBunsy
16 Sep 2008, 11:44
I happened to be passing at the right time. Did you read the articles?

b1llygo4t
16 Sep 2008, 11:56
first line "decaying organic matter" hmm now what is that....

and what does a volcano and an anus have in common? they both spew hot icky crap into the vicinity, and stink up the atmosphere.

on a serious note, crap is waste, that breaks down into basic components, that support life... now what is a decaying plant? crap(literal)? compost heap? local dump? its all god damn crap, hell have you ever grown a plant? ever heard of fish emulsion or bat guano?

dirt is decaying waste

MrBunsy
16 Sep 2008, 12:03
first line "decaying organic matter" hmm now what is that...
Dead plants. Bird poo is often used as a fertiliser, not as the topsoil.

Volcanoes spew lava onto the ground. You're not saying that basalt is poo, are you? Make all the analogies you like, but dead plants and rocks are not poo. Decaying waste, yes, but that's not what you said earlier.

CyberShadow
16 Sep 2008, 12:14
you worry for cheating?Correct.
can we have someMaybe. Likely not soon though, if ever.
flaming life barsEven if we add them, that'll be on or after 4.0 (due to technical reasons). Even if we add them, you'll have to earn them, and it won't be easy. Let's not forget their original meaning.
gfx skillsDraw an animation that looks indestinguishable from something Team17 could draw, then we'll talk.
special charactersI don't have control over the server software. You'll have to convince Team17 (good luck).
worm eating itsFunny, I always thought that was a miniature apple.

b1llygo4t
16 Sep 2008, 12:27
so your saying that dead decaying plant matter is not waste?
unused, no longer needed, or stripped of needed nutrients, its still crap.

its totaly poop

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/8725/35433413ks5.png

MrBunsy
16 Sep 2008, 12:29
so your saying that dead decaying plant matter is not waste?
unused, no longer needed, or stripped of needed nutrients, its still crap.

its totaly poop

Sheesh @ huge image. It's probably earth considering it's picked up from in front.

Dead plants are waste, yes. Poo is waste too. Not all waste is poo.

b1llygo4t
16 Sep 2008, 12:35
Draw an animation that looks indestinguishable from something Team17 could draw, then we'll talk.

anyone have any COMPLETE wa/wwp sprite sheets? i cant find any

CyberShadow
16 Sep 2008, 12:39
I don't think one exists. But you can extract them with some 3rd-party software (http://worms2d.info/WA_directory_editor).

b1llygo4t
16 Sep 2008, 12:46
i think it looks like hes pulling it out of his back pocket, cept hes not wearing pants.

well a dead plant isnt dirt is it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excrement

decaying matter is broken down by single celled organisms, bacteria, and bugs

more evidence that all decaying matter is "digested"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacterial_decay

i win

wait wait wait 1 more

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feces

Organisms which subsist on dead organic matter or detritus are known as detritivores, and play an important role in ecosystems by recycling organic matter back into a simpler form which plants and other autotrophs may once again absorb. This cycling of matter is known as the biogeochemical cycle. To maintain nutrients in soil it is therefore important that feces return to the area from which they came, which is not always the case in human society where food may be transported from rural areas to urban populations and then feces disposed of into a river or sea.

tnx a bunch CS

b1llygo4t
16 Sep 2008, 13:06
I suggest you read this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soil)

edit: And this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_gas)
natural gas is organic matter that decomposes underground under lots of pressure, then seeps up til it gets trapped in impermeable rock, though its all theory

in the words of the chef from futerama "BAM"!

http://64.224.198.26/clientassets/Gassection2.pdf

Squirminator2k
16 Sep 2008, 13:20
b1llygo4t, I hope for your sake that you are a parody of Internet morons, because even the stupidest of stupid net-dwellers would read your posts and think, "Blimey, he's a bit thick, in'e?"

http://stuff.benpaddon.co.uk/shadowmoon.png

</obligatory>

b1llygo4t
16 Sep 2008, 13:28
to stupid to read wikipedia, Squirminator2k???

CyberShadow
16 Sep 2008, 13:29
If there will be no further "programming questions", this thread is to be closed. But, I am already in my pajamas...

b1llygo4t
16 Sep 2008, 13:31
i dub this the poo thread while i can!!!

franpa
16 Sep 2008, 13:40
If everything is poo, then what is poo? everything? but then everything isn't poo because everything is everything o_o

b1llygo4t
16 Sep 2008, 13:54
everything is waste from the matter and antimatter collision that happened right after the big bang, so symbolically we are all full of crap

can we move this thread to the online orgy section???? digital scat baby!!

rename it "what do worms eat?"

franpa
16 Sep 2008, 14:11
matter and anti-matter never collided or else they would have cancelled each other out and our universe would never exist :)

both seperated and travel in opposite directions.

MtlAngelus
16 Sep 2008, 14:20
Feces is a waste product from an animal's digestive tract expelled through the anus (or cloaca) during defecation.
I'm sorry but the big bang is no anus.

Plasma
16 Sep 2008, 14:25
Feces is a waste product from an animal's digestive tract expelled through the anus (or cloaca) during defecation.
I'm sorry but the big bang is no anus.
Yeah, seriously, why would you think the Big Bang is-

Oh god!

OH GOD! It all makes sense now!

I can see forever!

Squirminator2k
16 Sep 2008, 14:29
In the beginning was the Word.
And the word was "goatse"

MihaiS
16 Sep 2008, 20:54
I can see your point, but I still think you're full of ****.

Expro
16 Sep 2008, 22:23
Is there any source that describe WormNET IRC messages? (and mayba, as bonus, http requests)?

Laban
16 Sep 2008, 23:17
OMG lol, what have you made of this post? :D

btw, I also thought it was a tiny apple pulled from a non-existing back pocket - but now I really can't tell anymore - got to ponder the meaning of life first xD.

About cheating, and this goes out to everyone (especially CyberShadow, since you already took a stand on the subject), - Its not that I cheat or even support cheating, but why you'all taking this so hard?
I understand the many arguments against, still, after all - its only a game...played for fun, so if someone gets his kicks out of cheating I say: let him have his fun (its not like he's really hurting anyone).
I'm just baffled by this whole deal being so badly blown out of proportions to the extent that, some people here sound actually terrified by the possible notion of cheating - and that just strikes me odd.

CyberShadow
17 Sep 2008, 00:40
Is there any source that describe WormNET IRC messages? (and mayba, as bonus, http requests)?
The IRC part is regular IRC. Don't think the HTTP stuff is fully documented somewhere. You could check out this WKB article (http://worms2d.info/WormNET_(Worms_Armageddon)) and the source code of MyWormNET (http://worms.thecybershadow.net/mywormnet/).
About cheating, and this goes out to everyone (especially CyberShadow, since you already took a stand on the subject), - Its not that I cheat or even support cheating, but why you'all taking this so hard?
As long as we have competitive gameplay, such as leagues, the Olympics, etc. there will always be people against cheating. And don't forget we plan to bring back flags one day.

franpa
17 Sep 2008, 07:30
I understand the many arguments against, still, after all - its only a game...played for fun, so if someone gets his kicks out of cheating I say: let him have his fun (its not like he's really hurting anyone).
I'm just baffled by this whole deal being so badly blown out of proportions to the extent that, some people here sound actually terrified by the possible notion of cheating - and that just strikes me odd.
Until replays become signed or encrypted, it is too easy to cheat without being found out.

robowurmz
17 Sep 2008, 07:54
to stupid to read wikipedia, Squirminator2k???

Too stupid to spell properly?

b1llygo4t
17 Sep 2008, 11:43
is there a way to calculate trajectories outside of worms? for map making sake?

CyberShadow
17 Sep 2008, 11:59
It's possible but it hasn't been done.

Laban
17 Sep 2008, 15:37
CyberShadow

what flags? countys?

franpa

Until replays become signed or encrypted, it is too easy to cheat without being found out.
and what if you find someone who cheated? you could ban him from tournys and such, but you won't be able to stop him from just playing.
and what if the replays were encrypted? would a program such as i described be available then?

Heres another programming question - to keep the post in tune :D

Is it possible to create a special featured team that would automatically die at the very start leaving animations (graves) after them?
or is it possible to put animations into maps some other way?

franpa
17 Sep 2008, 16:21
would a program such as i described be available then?
Most likely yes, because there would be no way to mask it without decrypting the replay which isn't any easy task.

Bawb
17 Sep 2008, 18:08
i think it looks like hes pulling it out of his back pocket, cept hes not wearing pants.

If the worms can hide 50 weapons on themselves, I'm sure they can fit in an apple as well.

b1llygo4t
18 Sep 2008, 02:45
true that.