PDA

View Full Version : I wish to play Worms in linux ubuntu hardy .

Morgoth
14 Sep 2008, 09:29
Hello co-wormers.
I tried playing it but no luck, since the speed is way too high so here are my problems :

1.Too fast speed

2. No keyboard

3.When I select a game, it blacks out.

4.I can't play games.

Now what I did was I tried two different ways to play this game. The first one was this

1. Download wine4wa.tar.gz and save it in your home directory.
2. Unzip it by typing "tar xvfz wine4wa.tar.gz
3. Install worms the normal way with wine, except install it to H:/wine4wa/wa instead of C:/Team17/Wor...
4. Download WA_update-3.6.29.0_Beta_Installer.exe to /home/username/wine4wa/wa, the folder that you installed worms into.
5. Type "cd ~/wine4wa/wa" to change to the installation folder.
6. Type "wine WA_update-3.6.29.0_Beta_Installer.exe" to install update.
7. Type "cd .." to go back to the wine4wa folder.
8. Type "chmod a+x wa.sh" to allow wa.sh to be executed.
9. Type "./wa.sh" to run worms.

Which did play the game (lookias version doesn't) but the keyboard didn't work, and I couldnt make it work twice .

The other version was lookia's

1. Browse the CD and the open Setup.exe with Wine.
2. Do the normal installation.
3. Get play_WA_on_linux.
4. Execute play_WA_on_linux.
5. Done.

The game menu runs here too, but when I select a game it blacks out, and when I try to log in to wormnet I can't enter a password or a full username because of the keyboard issues.

So please help
a friend in need is a friend indeed.

Specs:
Dual core processor intel core duo 2.13 GHz + 2.13GHz
RAM 1GB
Geforce 7 something 256mb

lookias
14 Sep 2008, 12:51
quoted:
1. Browse the CD and the open Setup.exe with Wine.
2. Do the normal installation.
3. Get play_WA_on_linux.
4. Execute play_WA_on_linux.
5. Done.

i did not say that, robowurmz said it lol, and its not the truth. if you want to make it good install worms with play wa on linux into, ....../play way on linux/wine4wa/wa.

Morgoth
14 Sep 2008, 14:19
i did not say that, robowurmz said it lol, and its not the truth. if you want to make it good install worms with play wa on linux into, ....../play way on linux/wine4wa/wa.

O_o

so by changing the installation folder, you really believe that this will work?
-.-

lookias
14 Sep 2008, 15:09
O_o

-.-

try it ro leave it mister, i have not so much time for baby sitting.

robowurmz
14 Sep 2008, 16:04
O_o

-.-

Since he wrote the utility, he should know what it's looking for. Install W:A using the play_WA_on_linux program, in the directory that he said.

lookias
14 Sep 2008, 16:23
Since he wrote the utility, he should know what it's looking for. Install W:A using the play_WA_on_linux program, in the directory that he said.

no i dont know what all the used tools are looking for. but to eliminate the dark, particular when errors appear, it will be the best not to use different wine versions.
and btw that wine4wa discussion on ubuntu forum centers on my wine4wa wrapper which is obsolete, because play wa on linux ships a better one on its own.

and the WA folder is in use for cd mounting, and wa is for the installation.

Morgoth
15 Sep 2008, 14:29
i put the wa files here
/home/morgoth/Desktop/play_wa_on_linux/wine4wa/wa

and it doesnt even start. It starts the screen and then closes itself

Morgoth
15 Sep 2008, 14:55
no, it starts, but the game doesnt play matches, and i still have the no keyboard bug
is it because i have a wireless keyboard? please i wanna play :'(

lookias
15 Sep 2008, 17:21
please delete your worms installation and reinstall it, that would also be the most common behaviour on windows, i can not understand why you dont do that lol. could it be that you dont have a valid cd of your worms game?

what means kb bug? you can click buttons on the frontend but you can not type texts with the keyboard? i can imagine a bug where both, mouse and kb dont work.

Plasma
15 Sep 2008, 17:34
So please help
a friend in need is a friend indeed.
I think in this case it's more of a "A friend in need needs Windows XP".

*OhcrapIthinkIjustbuggedoffawholebunchofLinuxusers heylookatthetimegottagobye!

robowurmz
15 Sep 2008, 17:45
I think in this case it's more of a "A friend in need needs Windows XP".

*OhcrapIthinkIjustbuggedoffawholebunchofLinuxusers heylookatthetimegottagobye!

Or perhaps "A friend in need needs to follow instructions to the dot".

Lol at the bug-linux-user-got-to-go. :D

lookias
15 Sep 2008, 18:01
im dreaming of a "andlinux single program" version, for my program. so that even vista guys with intel chip can play worms ;p that would be amazing, no?

Morgoth
15 Sep 2008, 18:52
i can not understand why you dont do that lol. could it be that you dont have a valid cd of your worms game?

i have a valid disc :)
need i show it

OK i will now try to install it on the play wa on linux .

Here is what I Will do, pl0x tell me what I do wrong.

Insert the disc (lol)
Go to /media/cdrom0/Install
double click on install.exe and open it with wine
install wa on h:\desktop\play_wa_on_linux\wine4wa\wa (and install direct x 6)
reboot
update
pray that it will work
start your application, then browse for the exe in wa
run it, play.

lookias
15 Sep 2008, 19:50
can you please explain why you dont want to use play wa on linux to install worms?

the most silly mistake you can do is installing direct x on wine. but i give up with you now, thats just silly at all.

Morgoth
15 Sep 2008, 20:39
can you please explain why you dont want to use play wa on linux to install worms?

the most silly mistake you can do is installing direct x on wine. but i give up with you now, thats just silly at all.

You mean, why I don't install WA in your wa folder ? I did, multiple times. It didn't work.

lookias
15 Sep 2008, 20:47
one last word in this thread from me. sry for your hassle you really need a pictured tutorial. i will make one, but atm i can not take that effort because my program is not finished. im a bit scarred that the program changes a bit and all my work is then wasted.

so please be patient and wait some days maybe weeks but not more than 3 weeks, ok?.

Morgoth
15 Sep 2008, 20:53
one last word in this thread from me. sry for your hassle you really need a pictured tutorial. i will make one, but atm i can not take that effort because my program is not finished. im a bit scarred that the program changes a bit and all my work is then wasted.

so please be patient and wait some days maybe weeks but not more than 3 weeks, ok?.

Sure, I appreciate your constant help and effort to make that work.
Excuse my silliness :)
The truth is I managed to make it work with the ubuntu forums solution ONCE, but now I got stuck (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=904398&page=3) I tried your version quite a few times though.
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9679/avatar29491620gifiq2.png
bye
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/79/av685kr5.gif

lookias
16 Sep 2008, 00:10
Sure, I appreciate your constant help and effort to make that work.

;)

it works allready, but i think it can be improved with a tutorial, so that everyone can deal with it. its not a shame that you dont get it to run, i bothered a few hours to get the basics of wine and not to forget the other hours when i tried around to run worms.
i only hope that i can create a good program, that ppl dont need to invent all the things again, that things i figuered out allready. beside this i see it as a training in c++ programming, because im not a profeesional therein ;p.

i just hope my programm will be a success in that context.

lookias
18 Sep 2008, 18:51
a new version is out, this includes a first steps tutorial in pdf-format.

http://lookias.inventforum.com/viewforum.php?f=8

Morgoth
21 Sep 2008, 22:09
a new version is out, this includes a first steps tutorial in pdf-format.

http://lookias.inventforum.com/viewforum.php?f=8

What's best? Wine or Wine HQ ?

lookias
21 Sep 2008, 22:25
What's best? Wine or Wine HQ ?

why do you ask things about wine now? i cant see any coherency with wine atm.

Morgoth
22 Sep 2008, 13:38
I try to open the ISO file and it stays there after I put the root pass.
It doesn't do anything. I press OK again and again and it doesn't do anything.

lookias
22 Sep 2008, 14:16
I try to open the ISO file and it stays there after I put the root pass.
It doesn't do anything. I press OK again and again and it doesn't do anything.

you can also use the mountpoint from your cd (sr0) or try the generated shellscript (by a click on "generate shellscript").
use the shellscript like this:
cd path/to play wa on linux executable (for example cd "/home/looki/Play Worms Armageddon on linux/play_WA_on_linux" )
sh mountscript.sh

you should try the script first.

the normal behaviour of the mount window, would be that it dissapear after a click to ok waiting 2 seconds. if not you have an obsolete version of play wa on linux (i did fix that problem in newer versions) or your linux does not ask for the password with exactly this string:

root's password:

my program assumes that the string matches exactly, but that can be fals (my mistake then). i dont know.

Morgoth
22 Sep 2008, 14:31
you can also use the mountpoint from your cd (sr0) or try the generated shellscript (by a click on "generate shellscript").
use the shellscript like this:
cd path/to play wa on linux executable (for example cd "/home/looki/Play Worms Armageddon on linux/play_WA_on_linux" )
sh mountscript.sh

you should try the script first.

the normal behaviour of the mount window, would be that it dissapear after a click to ok waiting 2 seconds. if not you have an obsolete version of play wa on linux (i did fix that problem in newer versions) or your linux does not ask for the password with exactly this string:

root's password:

my program assumes that the string matches exactly, but that can be fals (my mistake then). i dont know.

thanks for answering quickly.

thoughout the steps, i encountered these boxes where I pressed ok

http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshotwk9.png

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e310/Morgoth_Bauglir/Screenshot-1.png

edit
The game works fine (without music but it runs fine) thank you
but I still have the keyboard problem.
Maybe it exists because of my wireless keyboard. Do you think so ?

edit
now it doesnt open the iso again.
please fix this also try to make it playable in full screen ?

franpa
22 Sep 2008, 15:53
there is only 1 error you report. it is a normal message aimed at newbs to file management. the other message you mention is a standard part of the update.

lookias
22 Sep 2008, 16:59
your sound problem is normal. i thought i dont need to mention that in the tutorial, the tutorial is only made to get it working, to reduce the frustration.
now you should try with wine config. go misc-> and then click that red worm.
in wine config set the sound to alsa, then you have sound.

i did fix the iso problem allready, but as long no new version is available use the shell script (if the shell script fails read somewhere about loop devices or just restart the pc).

i doubt i will spend my mind for fullscreen mode, its nice when its windowed.

to that keyboard problem, can you please explain it a bit better?
does the whole game reject your kb input or what is it?

Morgoth
22 Sep 2008, 22:12
I had very serious problems with ubuntu and switched to windows xp.
Thanks for the effort .

lookias
22 Sep 2008, 22:22
I had very serious problems with ubuntu and switched to windows xp.
Thanks for the effort .

i saw that comming, things are not that easy. opensuse with kde might have been the better choise for a beginner like you.