PDA

View Full Version : Live Worms 2D

knkn
10 Sep 2008, 04:15
I'm sure it's been suggested before, but couldn't it be implemented [if at all] before WA 4.0? Yes, it'd need a completely new set of rules, schemes, but that'd be the fun part of it. Couldn't you imagine like [ofcourse only in certain existing games would it even consider working] a roper in a live game? Everybody running around, on a much bigger map than standard proropers, and when you get hit [health would have to be adjusted] you fall, but then continue back up. We could have genuine rope races, boom races, but then again then again in something like BnG we would need a gradual change in the wind as the game progresses..

franpa
10 Sep 2008, 04:21
someones already posted an example of it in action, the physics and stuff completely screw up during the use of various items.

EDIT: I can't find the thread, maybe it was removed from here...

knkn
10 Sep 2008, 04:27
Why is that? Using one of pisto's memory "hackers" I was able to fire an unlimited amount of weapons without ending my turn, aswell as falling [damage came at the end > either skipgo/surrender/quit].

franpa
10 Sep 2008, 04:33
because you dont loose control until no weapon projectiles exist?

knkn
10 Sep 2008, 04:40
? Why would this not be possible - I don't see where you're getting at franps.

franpa
10 Sep 2008, 05:32
Ah, i thought your talking about Real-Time worms... sorry, i misinterpreted what you meant by "Live"

yakuza
10 Sep 2008, 08:08
hasn't it ocurred to you that this might have been suggested already, a million times?

bonz
10 Sep 2008, 14:33
The OP is talking about real-time Worms (unless I'm completely wrong here, but I rather suppose that franpa is ;))
Yes, this has been suggested many, many times before. IIRC, it's feasible provided the network code is re-written in a much more optimized form than the current one.
Many people oppose a real-time mode though, for several reasons that too have been discussed many, many times before.
Yes, Andy Davidson the original creator of Worms actually intended to include a real-time mode in WA before he departed from T17.

franpa
10 Sep 2008, 15:18
The OP is talking about real-time Worms (unless I'm completely wrong here, but I rather suppose that franpa is http://forum.team17.co.uk/images/newsmilies/wink.gif)
I thought that too, but I now believe him to be talking about realtime joining/observing of games currently in progress.

yakuza
10 Sep 2008, 15:37
a roper in a live game? Everybody running around, on a much bigger map than standard proropers, and when you get hit [health would have to be adjusted] you fall, but then continue back up

The most important part is the one were he talks about being hit and falling.

exrarne
10 Sep 2008, 21:43
There's a vid on youtube about worms in RT, done in Project X. I tried to post it but I dunno if it got past the moderation queue.

Point is it's very messed up and will need more optimization before it can be released.

knkn
11 Sep 2008, 04:27
The most important part is the one were he talks about being hit and falling.

What's wrong with that? You haven't been hit by your own bazooka on a rope? Or with batty, shot someone down? Real-time worms would be a possiblity, like bonz said, and would generally change worms, but we would also need to keep the turn-based there for those to oppose. Wouldn't we need just an optimized network to prevent lag?

[ljust now looks at this. (http://worms2d.info/Real_Time_Worms)]

knkn
11 Sep 2008, 05:21
Doubleposting I know.. but why exactly hasn't this been implemented [cybershadow?] yet? But if it is in the makes, maybe as a baby-revamp for the 10year anniversary of W:A we could make it real-time to tide us over for the coming of 4.0.

yakuza
11 Sep 2008, 08:07
What's wrong with that? You haven't been hit by your own bazooka on a rope? Or with batty, shot someone down? Real-time worms would be a possiblity, like bonz said, and would generally change worms, but we would also need to keep the turn-based there for those to oppose. Wouldn't we need just an optimized network to prevent lag?

[ljust now looks at this. (http://worms2d.info/Real_Time_Worms)]

It was directed to Franpa who seems to think you're not talking about real-time worms.

Plasma
11 Sep 2008, 11:48
Doubleposting I know.. but why exactly hasn't this been implemented [cybershadow?] yet?
Do a search for 'Realtime', save us from having to go through an epic explanation of it.

knkn
11 Sep 2008, 13:20
Do a search for 'Realtime', save us from having to go through an epic explanation of it.

Way to not read my latest post..

b1llygo4t
14 Sep 2008, 07:00
im for the way of the Pisto, let them eat cake and get fat.
all you have to do is limit and omit things to get around problems. of course you couldnt have inf stuff, well mabe prod. the game already screetches to a grinding halt in the middle of a turn if a worm is hit, so until its fixed its a mute point. you could still have rounds, for mass crate drops and unlocked weapons, theyed each just have one turn.

but the fact is itl never happen, to many naysayers and no paid programers

Run
14 Sep 2008, 08:34
Doubleposting I know.. but why exactly hasn't this been implemented [cybershadow?] yet?

a. epic amount of effort
b. remarkably few people want it
c. shut up + get out

franpa
14 Sep 2008, 08:45
I seriously doubt anyone would like playing such a game if it lags DURING your turn instead of between turns.

Morgoth
14 Sep 2008, 09:54
The game lags as is .

franpa
14 Sep 2008, 09:55
If it lags during your own turn, then that is your computer sucking and nothing to do with the internet.

Run
14 Sep 2008, 16:31
The game lags as is .

hahahahahahahah

perhaps you installed worms on an abacus

GreeN
14 Sep 2008, 18:57
I'm still using DDR-266.. Worms lags like a biatch for me, should I simultaneously do as much as open an internet browser :(

franpa
14 Sep 2008, 19:55
that would be because of your CPU being single threaded and not your memory.

GreeN
14 Sep 2008, 21:35
Well whether it be my CPU, or the thick blanket of dust keeping my computer warm over winter, it lags :P

knkn
15 Sep 2008, 02:40
<- gets used to teewars/worlds.. :\

Squirminator2k
15 Sep 2008, 13:15
The current engine wouldn't support realtime anyway. We'd be talking about building a new game from the ground up.

Morgoth
15 Sep 2008, 14:33
hahahahahahahah

perhaps you installed worms on an abacus

O_o I didn't I installed it on windows once, and the bad connections of users made it lag after I made my move. (I have 16mbps adsl)

Squirminator2k
15 Sep 2008, 15:49
Worms' online infrastructure doesn't work like that. The "server" is merely a matchmaking service. Once a game is hosted, it's all on the host's computer. If you're having trouble it's more likely to be because of your computer and/or internet connection.