PDA

View Full Version : Play Worms Armageddon on linux.

lookias
2 Sep 2008, 17:35
hello there, im proud to present a tool to run worms armageddon on linux. this tool reaches a new area of supporting worms armageddon on any linux platforms.

after 3 days developement im done with an alpha version v0.9. i would really appriciate comments from people who run it or maybe only try to :P.

heres a screenshot:

http://lookias.freehostia.de/playwaonlinux.jpg

you can download it here:
http://lookias.inventforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=19#19

greetz lookias

lookias
3 Sep 2008, 00:26
i just figured out that the program only runs on a 64bit linux system with kde4 installed.
i need to compile the binarys on a 32bit linux to fix that problem.

please stay tuned.

b1llygo4t
3 Sep 2008, 07:37
you said any linux platform? does than include the xbox distro? id love to play worms on my xbox i can emulate ps1 and play it, but its not the same. and yes i use the disc

lookias
3 Sep 2008, 14:15
if wine runs on your xbox, you have good chances to make it working.

http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/FAQ#Can_I_run_Wine_in_Xbox-Linux.3F

Muzer
3 Sep 2008, 18:11
Yeah, compile as 32-bit, I don't care about it being KDE4 only but others probably do ;)

Also release source...

lookias
3 Sep 2008, 19:07
nono, its not a kde4 only program, but kde4 includes qt4.4 allready. but it will run on all other window managers aswell. give me some time, i just install a 32bit linux and compile Qt.

the source is allready in the tarball (src.tar.gz).

lookias
3 Sep 2008, 20:21
allright, it shoudl work now, i compiled it on a 32bit linux and the critical libraries are directly included in the executable.

greetz lookias

MadEwokHerd
4 Sep 2008, 02:29
Well, this ran for me without any hassle, and as you know my installed Qt is too old, so I think your build is correct. And WA also works (I did have to add drive symlinks for my .iso, but I don't think iso's are the norm so this isn't a big deal).

The process of installing and running WA is not as intuitive as it could be imo. Detailed instructions would be nice (preferably somewhere on worms2d.info so I can go edit them). Improvements to the process would be nicer but that takes time.

Once there are instructions I'll try to get links to them everywhere I can think of, including the first post of that other wine thread.

I think that you should apply the work-around for http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3023, which modifies user32.dll (so that EndDialog doesn't call ActivateOtherWindow). That'll fix the problems with input not going through after you close dialogs.

The game crashed for me during basic training, which is probably related to the new beta. I'll look into that crash in more detail soon. Stupidly detailed logging will probably reveal something.

For now I think it couldn't hurt to update the wine version to 1.0, in the hope that some of the new goodness will fix random things. Yes, there's that regression I keep talking about, but you just need to revert the commit that broke it, c183a9e6e7809ef39874d1c01778af31173d0e82. (Because that modifies wineserver, it can't be fixed by just replacing dll's, which was the reason I gave up on new versions.)

There are other things I'd comment on, but I don't want you to feel too overwhelmed just yet. ;)

lookias
4 Sep 2008, 14:01
And WA also works (I did have to add drive symlinks for my .iso, but I don't think iso's are the norm so this isn't a big deal).

http://lookias.inventforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=16&sid=7f40f487f3429c95c856fc0fa2180551

once there was a button on my program, that button tried to make a symlink for the iso. but i didnt got it to work properly, because i have no idea how to find the right wine drive and its not even clear if there is such a wine drive allready (the user must set it manually atm) i would need more knowledge to implement it. lets see if i can implement that in newer versions of "play wa on linux".

There are other things I'd comment on, but I don't want you to feel too overwhelmed just yet. ;)

i dont feel bothered by comments,D , your (and everyone else) wishes are welcome.

i think i should add somewhere that you made the basic work on wine (the patch). an about tab could be the right place for it, if you want that.

I think that you should apply the work-around for http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3023, which modifies user32.dll (so that EndDialog doesn't call ActivateOtherWindow). That'll fix the problems with input not going through after you close dialogs.

i ill check that, atm the restart button can be used when this bug appears. worms restarts then nicely. but you must watch the intro again, next version will have the possibility to write command line arguments for the executables. in this case a simple /nointro will be enough.

The process of installing and running WA is not as intuitive as it could be imo. Detailed instructions would be nice (preferably somewhere on worms2d.info so I can go edit them).

ok an instruction section can also appear as a tab. it can include the link to instructions from the web. but im not really sure what you like to improve and i would like to know others meanings about that, some better graphic elements would be appriciated, if someone likes to draw (with gimp or any other power graphic tool) a bit there are good chances that the pics are included in the next versions.

greetz lookias

lookias
4 Sep 2008, 14:12
For now I think it couldn't hurt to update the wine version to 1.0, in the hope that some of the new goodness will fix random things. Yes, there's that regression I keep talking about, but you just need to revert the commit that broke it, c183a9e6e7809ef39874d1c01778af31173d0e82. (Because that modifies wineserver, it can't be fixed by just replacing dll's, which was the reason I gave up on new versions.)

i dont really understand this text, there might be a link missing?

MadEwokHerd
5 Sep 2008, 01:02
Well, the first problem with the UI is that it's not obvious how to actually start the program once it's been extracted. An instructions tab in the program wouldn't help that.

lookias
5 Sep 2008, 23:21
Well, the first problem with the UI is that it's not obvious how to actually start the program once it's been extracted. An instructions tab in the program wouldn't help that.

the next version will have description about this.

btw next version will also run worms without bugs xD

Muzer
6 Sep 2008, 09:56
the next version will have description about this.

btw next version will also run worms without bugs xD
:D

I might actually install it then...

lookias
6 Sep 2008, 15:33
:D

I might actually install it then...

ok there was no bug anymore now, no bug i could have seen. im talking about bugs that appear everytime when you click a special button or in special game situations.

it may crash rarely in random situation.

lookias
6 Sep 2008, 17:02
here is the new version v0.91

Muzer
6 Sep 2008, 20:23
ok there was no bug anymore now, no bug i could have seen. im talking about bugs that appear everytime when you click a special button or in special game situations.

it may crash rarely in random situation.
I know that's what you meant, I was fed up of it crashing when I joined games where people couldn't host.
here is the new version v0.91

*downloads*

lookias
6 Sep 2008, 20:28
I know that's what you meant, I was fed up of it crashing when I joined games where people couldn't host.

ya indeed that was the hassle, and it also made it impossible to save maps. so thats gone, my programm ships now a 3 times patched wine 1.0 version ;p. alot thx to madewokherd and the other patch maker/s.

MadEwokHerd
7 Sep 2008, 04:37
Just writing things as they occur to me:

The funny tip window thing opens behind the main window here. If possible, you should make it a transient belonging to your main window.

It's also strange that bits of your windows are transparent but the whole thing has a frame around it.

You should start an executable from the directory where it is located. So /path/to/whatever.exe would be started something like this (in .sh format):(cd /path/to/ && whatever.exe) You can also use wine start /unix /path/to/whatever.exe but start /unix does not allow command line arguments.

This is needed for starting CD installers and older versions of WA.

Doing a clean install of WA started in a rather large resolution instead of 640x480. Also, it's got your nickname in the "Player name" box on the network screen. I suggest leaving wa4wine\windows out of the package entirely (maybe even using ~/.something instead). Wine will create $WINEPREFIX automatically as needed.

You shouldn't have to rely on the path where WA is installed. Its path is in the registry, which you can read by using regedit /E filename.reg HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Team17SoftwareLTD\Worms Armageddon and parsing the resulting file. Every WA installer and updater writes the location of wa.exe to this spot.

Installing WA creates a shortcut. The shortcut works here, but I think that's a coincidence and it will fail for a lot of people. I'd like to look for a way to make the shortcuts work, but that will be easier if you can give me an explanation (in .sh format probably) of how your program starts .exe files.

My crash didn't happen this time. I think it was a sound bug fixed by the wine upgrade.

Your binaries have debugging symbols. You can remove the debugging symbols and reduce the size of the package using strip -g.

Muzer
7 Sep 2008, 09:10
Every WA installer and updater writes the location of wa.exe to this spot.
Not unwain...

Also, I want that updated for 3.6.29.0! I can't update my FAQ before that happens.

lookias
7 Sep 2008, 14:14
hello,
the windows folder exists mainly because of the resolution. if i release my program without the wineprefix folder winecfg will be settet to fullscreen and wa will crash when you run it. to avoid such hassle there is allready a windows folder.
using the wa icon from wine will cause that wine doesnt use the wineprefix i want it to use. it will use $HOME/.wine, and that corrupts the idea to have a full seperate wine version running.

that you see my name in the network screen of worms is just a minor problem, i can fix that if i know it. so ill do in next version.

It's also strange that bits of your windows are transparent but the whole thing has a frame around it.

that doesnt appear to me, normally when invoking setmask(...) the framelesswindowhint flag is settet. that might differ in several winowmanagers.
i just fixed that.

The funny tip window thing opens behind the main window here. If possible, you should make it a transient belonging to your main window.

have it just fixed.

having an clear installed worms is not needed, the best idea is to copy or install worms to "play worms armageddon on linux"/wine4wa/wa. but that is not neccessary in the first place, just to watch replays you will need to have worms in this folder.
you can even update without a clear installation.

Your binaries have debugging symbols. You can remove the debugging symbols and reduce the size of the package using strip -g.

thx for the tip.

Also, I want that updated for 3.6.29.0! I can't update my FAQ before that happens.

muzer can you explain that, im not sure what it means. can i fix that or is it a common problem?

to the start process:
QStringList env;
env = process()->systemEnvironment();
QString s(QString(QString("WINEPREFIX=") + settings.wineprefix));
env << s;
process()->setEnvironment(env);
sl << le->text();
sl << learg->text().split(" ", QString::SkipEmptyParts);
process()->start(settings.wine4wa + "/bin/wine", sl);

that just starts wine, with the system environment variables + my wineprefix (that windows folder).
sl takes the windows executable you have choosen + the command line arguments (/nointro for example).
QProcess::start(linux executable,command line args,system evnironment);

is it a must to execute wine start /unix with older wa versions?
cd /path/to/ && whatever.exe
could be realised by setting the working dir (in the system environment) to /path/to. would that also work for older wa versions?

lookias
7 Sep 2008, 14:26
if i know how to make a desktop shortcut on every linux distro (ha fluxbox allows no desktop shortcuts but whatever) i would add a button which craetes a shortcut for you.

on kde there is a folder named $HOME/Desktop which includes this shortcuts , is that also like that on gnome?

Muzer
7 Sep 2008, 15:22

muzer can you explain that, im not sure what it means. can i fix that or is it a common problem?
I was talking about unwain, you can safely ignore that, I didn't make myself clear...

Muzer
7 Sep 2008, 15:27
on kde there is a folder named $HOME/Desktop which includes this shortcuts , is that also like that on gnome?
Yes it is

Sorry for double post, editting randomly broke...

Muzer
7 Sep 2008, 15:48
Argh, editting still isn't working!

I am just so confused. I had to install it manually because the installer didn't work. Now W:A doesn't boot.

EDIT: Yay, editting is working now!

But the program still isn't. I managed to get it install via play_wa_on_linux, but it still refuses to run.

EDIT: Hey, just remembered, didn't update it! Duh!

lookias
7 Sep 2008, 16:28
But the program still isn't. I managed to get it install via play_wa_on_linux, but it still refuses to run.

you can runt play wa on linux in a console, wine will tell you the problem. i guess it cant find the folder? im allready working on a solution for this problem.

Muzer
7 Sep 2008, 19:16
you can runt play wa on linux in a console, wine will tell you the problem. i guess it cant find the folder? im allready working on a solution for this problem.
Yeah, as I said, I had forgotten to install the update.

EDIT: Also, a few things:

1) the buttons in the replay screen seem to be completely messed up...
2) The replay screen doesn't navigate to the correct path...
3) The default installer fails for me, a better one is located at /media/WA/Install/Install.exe

lookias
7 Sep 2008, 19:45
Yeah, as I said, I had forgotten to install the update.

EDIT: Also, a few things:

1) the buttons in the replay screen seem to be completely messed up...
2) The replay screen doesn't navigate to the correct path...
3) The default installer fails for me, a better one is located at /media/WA/Install/Install.exe

1: do they appear as normal buttons?

2: indeed.

3: i forgot to clean my own inifiles.

MadEwokHerd
7 Sep 2008, 21:45
hello,
the windows folder exists mainly because of the resolution. if i release my program without the wineprefix folder winecfg will be settet to fullscreen and wa will crash when you run it. to avoid such hassle there is allready a windows folder.
You can force a virtual desktop by running "wine explorer /desktop=wa,640x480 program.exe".

I highly recommend you move the prefix to ~/.something. Otherwise important things like the registry and dosdevices will have to be overwritten on each upgrade.

using the wa icon from wine will cause that wine doesnt use the wineprefix i want it to use. it will use $HOME/.wine, and that corrupts the idea to have a full seperate wine version running.
Uh, no, the shortcuts wine makes do set the wine prefix correctly. It's the wine binary and LD_LIBRARY_PATH that will be wrong.

is it a must to execute wine start /unix with older wa versions?
cd /path/to/ && whatever.exe
could be realised by setting the working dir (in the system environment) to /path/to. would that also work for older wa versions?
Either one will work. This is more important for CD installers; they don't work unless you have the correct working directory set.

if i know how to make a desktop shortcut on every linux distro (ha fluxbox allows no desktop shortcuts but whatever) i would add a button which craetes a shortcut for you.

You shouldn't need to do this. Wine already creates shortcuts; it just needs to be fixed so they work correctly.

Enty
8 Sep 2008, 10:23
Any chance for an OSX version? I can help with testing...

lookias
8 Sep 2008, 15:58
Any chance for an OSX version? I can help with testing...

a version for osx would be nice. wine and my Qt app only need to be compiled on osx.

Enty
8 Sep 2008, 16:12
a version for osx would be nice. wine and my Qt app only need to be compiled on osx.
Well, there is wine for OSX (even some fancy GUI for it called Crossovers) and Qt is available too... Any ideas how should I get started?

Muzer
8 Sep 2008, 17:00
1: do they appear as normal buttons?
Yes, but they use the wrong functions, for example, export images actually exports the log...

lookias
8 Sep 2008, 17:18
Yes, but they use the wrong functions, for example, export images actually exports the log...

oh indeed.

Morgoth
8 Sep 2008, 22:25
Please someone post a very slow step by step process . It seems I always get the same error over again. :/
it says there was an error. Also that its gonna be in the error log txt but meh, what error log and whatnot .

lookias
9 Sep 2008, 00:03
Please someone post a very slow step by step process . It seems I always get the same error over again. :/
it says there was an error. Also that its gonna be in the error log txt but meh, what error log and whatnot .

my program is just in developement. in regard to your last post in another thread, i can only give you the tip, that you should not try to run worms in fullscreen mode. even your error message (which comes from worms not from wine) should appear in a window (that window with the green background).
im sure the problems from your first post where caused by the fullscreen settings. because of your last post (and pictures) in another thread, i dont even know clearly what you are just trieing to do, i would appreciate some informations from your side.

for example: how do you just try to run worms (with my program maybe?) ? which settings did you made in winecfg? have you patched worms?

and what version of worms do you try to run (some are known to be crap, but i have no good idea about that).

another idea would be to visit #worms on gamesurge irc, a place were some "linux wormers" are around.

greetz lookias

MadEwokHerd
9 Sep 2008, 00:33
Enty: I don't have much hope for OSX because I'm not sure if opengl works, and it is needed for wine's directdraw. See http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-5bba8bcc401e4ee1d3b733501f98768a47e661e6 and http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/FAQs. It sounds like it's possible to turn on opengl, but I don't know how well it works.

I don't think the old (pre-0.9.16) ddraw needed opengl, but it had a backdoor in gdi that's been removed. So another possibility would be to stitch the old ddraw into a recent Wine (I don't think 0.9.15 actually worked on OSX).

Edit: I would say start by building Wine and trying to make it run WA with all normal bugs intact (black screen, no drawing, maybe a crash when you click).

lookias
10 Sep 2008, 20:40
hello, a new version is out. a version that is worth of beeing mentioned. because its an alpha candidate. when alpha state is reached i will start working on the womnet snooper, which can appear inside and outside the "play wa on linux" window. if you help me a little with checking the functionality, wether bugs appear or things are stranghe or if all is woking properly, it will speed up the developing progress.

http://lookias.inventforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=15

at madewokherd: i guess i realised all your tips (also muzers statements are considered) (WINEPREFIX create at runtime, cd installation should also work, and so on). only that desktop shortcut topic is not in (my program only creates one of itself).
it would be helpfull if you can give me a working shortcut, so that i can form myself a better opinion about it.

Enty
10 Sep 2008, 21:08
I would say start by building Wine and trying to make it run WA with all normal bugs intact (black screen, no drawing, maybe a crash when you click).
That already works with Crossovers... (fancy GUI over Wine for OSX). W:A and the patch installs, W:A starts, black screen, crash on click.

Right now I'm having trouble compiling Qt.

MadEwokHerd
11 Sep 2008, 00:45
Well, if you prefer to use CrossOver, you'll want to use the source from http://www.codeweavers.com/products/source. It's still important to build Wine and replace the one in CrossOver because you'll need to patch it.

Morgoth
13 Sep 2008, 08:51
How do I not start WA in full screen mode ?

Muzer
13 Sep 2008, 08:53
How do I not start WA in full screen mode ?
Do you mean how do you start it in a window?

cd /path/to/wa && wine explorer /desktop=wa,640x480 wa.exe

Morgoth
13 Sep 2008, 09:07
Do you mean how do you start it in a window?

cd /path/to/wa && wine explorer /desktop=wa,640x480 wa.exe

thanks

the patch will not run :(
how do i run it through console"?

EDIT:
nevermind that, i fixed the update problem by doing this :
5. Type "cd ~/wine4wa/wa" to change to the installation folder.
6. Type "wine WA_update-3.6.29.0_Beta_Installer.exe" to install update.

If anyone wants to know, I will now try to do this, in order to play WA

1. Download wine4wa.tar.gz and save it in your home directory.
2. Unzip it by typing "tar xvfz wine4wa.tar.gz
3. Install worms the normal way with wine, except install it to H:/wine4wa/wa instead of C:/Team17/Wor...
4. Download WA_update-3.6.29.0_Beta_Installer.exe to /home/username/wine4wa/wa, the folder that you installed worms into.
5. Type "cd ~/wine4wa/wa" to change to the installation folder.
6. Type "wine WA_update-3.6.29.0_Beta_Installer.exe" to install update.
7. Type "cd .." to go back to the wine4wa folder.
8. Type "chmod a+x wa.sh" to allow wa.sh to be executed.
9. Type "./wa.sh" to run worms.

Morgoth
13 Sep 2008, 09:43
it works windowed but there are two problems
1.it seems that its running at faster speed
2.the keyboard doesnt respond to the game
3.no sound (that i dont mind too much lol)

Any way to fix this, and maybe play a little higher resolution as well ?

pisto
13 Sep 2008, 09:58
please consider this lookias
http://forum.team17.co.uk/showpost.php?p=668226&postcount=3

lookias
13 Sep 2008, 10:55
it works windowed but there are two problems
1.it seems that its running at faster speed
2.the keyboard doesnt respond to the game
3.no sound (that i dont mind too much lol)

Any way to fix this, and maybe play a little higher resolution as well ?

this thread wears the name "play worms armageddon on linux" because there is a program called like that.
you should use this and forget the old wine4wa tarrball, because its obsolete and uses to bug alot.
please take this:
http://lookias.inventforum.com/viewforum.php?f=8

just execute the play_WA_on_linux file. and choose your wa executable (or installation executable or update executable). then press the start button and enjoy.

Morgoth
13 Sep 2008, 11:11
this thread wears the name "play worms armageddon on linux" because there is a program called like that.
you should use this and forget the old wine4wa tarrball, because its obsolete and uses to bug alot.
please take this:
http://lookias.inventforum.com/viewforum.php?f=8

just execute the play_WA_on_linux file. and choose your wa executable (or installation executable or update executable). then press the start button and enjoy.

how do i use this with my current wa file ?

Morgoth
13 Sep 2008, 11:26
lookias please consider giving out a step by step process, because most of us are not that fluent on linux :)
i put my wa file in the wine directory but your application does not see the wine folder because its hidden .
i also tried putting it on desktop but it didn t work that way, heck i dunno why it didnt.
please tell us how to put our own in stallation oin a place whwere it works with your application
thx

robowurmz
13 Sep 2008, 11:31
Install WA like you would on windows, using wine:

1. Browse the CD and the open Setup.exe with Wine.
2. Do the normal installation.
3. Get play_WA_on_linux.
4. Execute play_WA_on_linux.
5. Done.

Morgoth
13 Sep 2008, 12:30

3. Get play_WA_on_linux.
5. Done.

when i choose to play i have a black screen
also it plays so fast and i cant add a password for wormnet or place a name, only a one lettered name

lookias
13 Sep 2008, 15:10

3. Get play_WA_on_linux.
5. Done.

u can install update and run wa with play wa on linux. but you must choose the executables for your own. once they have been selected play wa on linux will remember them. and you dont need to have wine installed.

at morgoth: when you browse for an executable, you can rightclick in the file dialogs file view widget and choose "show hidden files".
that black screen issue wont appear when you start worms with my program.

a step by step tutorial is not available yet.

Morgoth
13 Sep 2008, 16:34
u can install update and run wa with play wa on linux. but you must choose the executables for your own. once they have been selected play wa on linux will remember them. and you dont need to have wine installed.

at morgoth: when you browse for an executable, you can rightclick in the file dialogs file view widget and choose "show hidden files".
that black screen issue wont appear when you start worms with my program.

a step by step tutorial is not available yet.

by executables u mean wa.exe right? I Know about the hidden files but the game still runs too quick for me . THe game never starts, and before it does, it runs too quickly, and i cannot choose a username. only with one letter . i think its because of the speed. Plus i cant add a password for the same reason. any solutions?

lookias
13 Sep 2008, 17:21
by executables u mean wa.exe right? I Know about the hidden files but the game still runs too quick for me . THe game never starts, and before it does, it runs too quickly, and i cannot choose a username. only with one letter . i think its because of the speed. Plus i cant add a password for the same reason. any solutions?

hm i dont understand you properly, because the login dialog should not become closed when you dont close it by a click to ok or cancel (dunno the english button text). aynway the frontend has no speed, only the background animation in the frontend has a speed.

edit: yes i mean windows excutables like wa.exe.

lookias
14 Sep 2008, 13:03
please consider this lookias
http://forum.team17.co.uk/showpost.php?p=668226&postcount=3

if someone writes such a patch file i will have a look to implement that patch on my program.

CyberShadow
15 Sep 2008, 03:01
Does this come with its own wine?
I think it's easily possible to hack wine to load HookLib.dll before it starts W:A.

lookias
15 Sep 2008, 13:17
Does this come with its own wine?
I think it's easily possible to hack wine to load HookLib.dll before it starts W:A.

when i add the libs to winecfg, it is still the same result.

CyberShadow
15 Sep 2008, 18:40
I don't know what would that do.

I looked through dlls/ntdll/loader.c, and it seems like a call to load_dll in LtrInitializeThunk (somewhere near the end) could do the trick.

See that you have a way to list the modules in a running process to see if it works. If wine's debuggers don't have that, it's easily possible with Windows' APIs. Or just make a wkTest.dll which shows a MessageBox.

lookias
16 Sep 2008, 12:02
a new version of play wa on linux was released today:
http://lookias.inventforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=15

at cybershadow: for several reasons, i wont spend time, in fixing that wormkit problem. but im still interested in fixes that are known to work.

b1llygo4t
19 Sep 2008, 05:08
if wine runs on your xbox, you have good chances to make it working.

http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/FAQ#Can_I_run_Wine_in_Xbox-Linux.3F

is there anything else i need to consider before trying it? i dont know anything about linux, i know the xbox is 64mb ram. i dont know if that is enough to run linux and wa

lookias
19 Sep 2008, 14:58
is there anything else i need to consider before trying it? i dont know anything about linux, i know the xbox is 64mb ram. i dont know if that is enough to run linux and wa

you should try it, theres a pictured pdf-tutorial (in the programs path) which will help you. your xbox wont get hurted if it is to slow.
i can not really say how good your pc must be so just try it out. :)

i would really like to know if that works.

b1llygo4t
20 Sep 2008, 03:44
i will. itd be sweet to play wa on my xbox, i already use an xbox controller to play XD

"Xebian", an Xbox compatible version of Debian
or
"Gentoox", a similarly customized version of Gentoo.

what would be a better option for me? all i care about is running WA, MUGEN, FireFox, and networking media to it. i dont have a hidef tv

there are other options outlined here http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Download

my xbox is already modded, it has a bigger hard drive, and i have adapters to use usb (keyboard/mouse) i dont want to dedicate it to linux, from what i understand you can put a virtual drive on the xbox drive that linux uses, i think its only 4 gigs or a full partition.

tnx

lookias
20 Sep 2008, 13:06
my program doesnt require a deeper knowledge of linux. it is the opposite you can do all with a graphical user interface which is selfexplained or it explains its own features with some text.

Gentoox centers on ease of use and newbie friendliness

sounds good for me.

It can be installed into the freespace on your E: drive, the free space on your F: drive or it can even take over your F: partition and convert it into a native Linux partition.

i would say, use option 1 or 2. because they leave your native xbox software intact.

when you got it with linux on your xbox you can start with play wa on linux. just follow the content of tutorial.pdf inside the programs folder.

b1llygo4t
26 Oct 2008, 12:16
xboxs cant work dead sectors, or detect them even. when i went to dedicate my g:/ partition to linux, i got major crash issues.

now booted code crashes but i can still stream media(yay) provided my dashboard loads(which runs off of cash). my hd is under warranty(they dont make 200 gig hds anymore so i should get a bigger size(XD)) i just wanted to bump this thread.

p.s. im so frustrated with my vista laptop and all the trialware that was pre installed, i replaced everything with open source.

lookias
28 Oct 2008, 21:54
codeweaver is free, but only today lol.

http://down.codeweavers.com/

shdwsnipes
30 Oct 2008, 18:31
lookias,

thank your for your contributions. You GUI looks nice, but I don't completely understand what the three slots are for (save time from browsing for a file?). Unfortunately, when I tested out your software it hung. I think the problem was related to wine and not your GUI, however.

I used the three WINE patches you included to build my own wine setup. I made a build script (modified wine SlackBuild) for this and it creates a Slackware package that puts wine-wa in /opt, separating it from my main WINE install. From there I used those binaries to setup the environment (wineprefixcreate and winecfg to turn off WM control of WA and decorations, test sound), install WA (from loop mount) and the latest update. I ran wa.exe with /nointro and everything runs great! No problems thus far in *full screen*. I did a training mission and played one deathmatch against the CPU. Not a single glitch in sound or visuals.

However, I have one issue that I think you know how to fix. Even though I installed WA using a loop mount I can only run it if I use the original cd. How do I run it with just an iso file?

Are there any other special hacks that your program does that you think I might have missed?

Thanks again.

lookias
30 Oct 2008, 20:33
to your mount issue: create that shell script (inside the mount gui) and try to run it. i bet the symlinks can not be created since /opt folder needs root permissions. so the links are nesessary.

i recommend to build wine into the wine4wa folder because everything will be in one place and you can make a simple backup, thats how i do.

edit: im using the slots for a keychanger tool and wa.exe. if both slots have the same resolution the programs will run in the same desktop. but you can also run 2 programs in different desktops, by changing the resolution of one slot, for example prosnooper and worms.

shdwsnipes
30 Oct 2008, 21:05
to your mount issue: create that shell script (inside the mount gui) and try to run it. i bet the symlinks can not be created since /opt folder needs root permissions. so the links are nesessary.

i recommend to build wine into the wine4wa folder because everything will be in one place and you can make a simple backup, thats how i do.
What symlinks are you talking about? Only the global wine install is in opt. The actual wine environment (or "bottle" as crossover calls it) is under my home directory ($HOME/.WA). The D: symlink under there points to my mounted cdrom image, which is from where I installed WA.

I did not use your GUI tool to set any of this up thus far.

shdwsnipes
30 Oct 2008, 21:41
I figured it out by looking again at the dosdevices folder and your program source. I didn't have a d\:\: symlink pointing to the actual image file. I needed that in addition to the d\: pointing to the loop mounted folder. Also, I was originally using a .nrg file. Even though it was loop mounted correctly, WINE does not seem to be able to use it as a "device" file. So, I switched to a proper iso file.

Now it runs fine without the physical cd.

lookias
30 Oct 2008, 23:54
at least you got it ;)

shdwsnipes
12 Nov 2008, 01:16
After doing some more testing I have found that occasionally the sounds just goes away. However, once the battle is done the sound is always back. Does anyone know why this is and how to fix it?

Everything else I have tested thus far (missions, death match) seem to work great otherwise.

Muzer
12 Nov 2008, 18:16
Try using a different sound driver (in the wine config). The only two that anyone actually uses are OSS and ALSA, so switch to the other one.

lookias
12 Nov 2008, 18:19
http://lookias.inventforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=16