PDA

View Full Version : One thing odd with the wormnet server...

Muzer
29 Aug 2008, 10:05
If you join it with an IRC client, its name appears as EFnet. Both Koen and I have verified this, it is very weird.

My client is definitely not making the name (I set the name to "WN" and that only displays before it connects). It is very weird, and annoying because I get it confused with EFnet.

I don't want it changed though (not necessarily), but I just want to know why it happens.

Here is a screenshot

CyberShadow
29 Aug 2008, 10:13
Because it's based on the EFnet IRC server software.

Muzer
29 Aug 2008, 10:25
I thought that might be the reason. Thanks for confirming it anyway.

Diablo vt
29 Aug 2008, 10:48
I guess I don't have to look it up after all.

yakuza
29 Aug 2008, 11:08
This is a thread bug reporting a banneable procedure. But there is no bug.

Muzer
29 Aug 2008, 11:24
Um, what? Why would joining WormNet using an IRC client for the sole reason of helping people (I only had AG open in this for the example so you could see it really was WormNet) be bannable?

If you ban people for helping others, then this must be one ****ed up community.

franpa
29 Aug 2008, 12:02
He does not mention how to sign in via IRC, he is just noting something about it. Does the #Help channel have a different password to the other channels?

Muzer
29 Aug 2008, 12:15
no, but Koen-ftw made a bnc server that links to it so anyone can join #help. See my other thread (I need #help).

franpa
29 Aug 2008, 14:56
Yep ok, then theres nothing wrong here other then the fact that some people other then the devs, know the password to the server channels ;)

Koen-ftw
29 Aug 2008, 16:43
Yep ok, then theres nothing wrong here other then the fact that some people other then the devs, know the password to the server channels ;)

Have you ever used a snooper? Even though you might not know the server password, you are still using an unauthorized client to connect to WormNet. If you have ever used a snooper, you are just as wrong as us connecting to the server through an IRC client.

- Anyone using a non-authorized client to connect to this
- network will have their IP temporarily banned.

yakuza
29 Aug 2008, 17:05
Yeah, I was just being picky for nostalgia. I endorse what you do Muzer and getting to wormnet via external means hasn't been bannable for ages (or happens very rarelly). I did once get banned for getting a bot there though, but that was half a decade ago.

Muzer
29 Aug 2008, 17:17
Lol, there are too many bots there now (some good, some incredibly annoying like FTM-Bot).

franpa
30 Aug 2008, 03:43
Have you ever used a snooper? Even though you might not know the server password, you are still using an unauthorized client to connect to WormNet. If you have ever used a snooper, you are just as wrong as us connecting to the server through an IRC client.
True but we don't need to know the password to use a snooper and snoopers generally lack any features that can harm the game server (except in the case of that evil prosnooper :P).

robowurmz
30 Aug 2008, 11:07
He's part of the help team. Surely then the MOTD can be disregarded in that respect? He's not doing anything malicious, either. All y'all are thick saying he should be banned.

yakuza
30 Aug 2008, 11:11
True but we don't need to know the password to use a snooper and snoopers generally lack any features that can harm the game server (except in the case of that evil prosnooper :P).

You do not need the key to break into someone's house.

robowurmz
30 Aug 2008, 11:16

Fudge's sake! It's an IRC server. Big deal. Oh wow, someone connected with an IRC CLIENT to an IRC SERVER to HELP PEOPLE WHO ARE PLAYING A GAME.

OH NOES LETS BAN HIM LOL 11!1!!

Nobody gives a damn.

Muzer
30 Aug 2008, 11:23
I've also just noticed that there is a maximum limit of 133 users.

yakuza
30 Aug 2008, 19:28
Fudge's sake! It's an IRC server. Big deal. Oh wow, someone connected with an IRC CLIENT to an IRC SERVER to HELP PEOPLE WHO ARE PLAYING A GAME.

OH NOES LETS BAN HIM LOL 11!1!!

Nobody gives a damn.

There's a thin line between being funny and looking dumb. It helps if you read the thread. More precisely, the part were I say I endorse what Muzer does. Logging to wormnet via external clients is still an exploitable and non supported procedure.

lookias
31 Aug 2008, 00:22

who can ever say that traffic inside your pc (in this case the wormnet password) is not allowed to be sniffed?