PDA

View Full Version : W:A In a Window Is Possible

robowurmz
17 Aug 2008, 11:29
I've been doing some research into this field and I developed a theory: you logically *should* be able to capture the fullscreen image and place it in a "holder" program. Turns out, somebody else thought of this and made a program called DXWND.

Often used for hacking in games such as Maplestory (since MS blocks Alt-Tab, it allows them to packet edit and so forth) it seems entirely feasible to use it on W:A. I'll test it later today.

lookias
17 Aug 2008, 11:56
i tried that allready, a very old version of dxwnd was able (with some settings i dont remember) to run the frontend in windowed mode, but it crashed then when i tried playing.
there are alot tutorials for c++ and vb which explains how to do that (wrapping ddraw games in a window) , if your familar with one of them and a bit used to mfc and ddraw, i bet you can get it working.

i only tried the trivial way with setparent() in a Qt window (widget), but theres a bit more to do, things like catching events to avoid exceptions in worms.

greetz lookias

robowurmz
17 Aug 2008, 13:46
I managed to get hold of an updated version of DxWnd: the only problem was that W:A didn't like it. It gave me an errorlog.

I'll look into making my own, thanks for the info.

Twyrfher
21 Aug 2008, 16:59
it's too simple to play in a window. Use a virtual machine running win or linux and play w:a, that's all.

robowurmz
21 Aug 2008, 17:58
it's too simple to play in a window. Use a virtual machine running win or linux and play w:a, that's all.

How about running at Native Speed, which is what we are trying to achieve?

lookias
21 Aug 2008, 18:39
How about running at Native Speed, which is what we are trying to achieve?

im running WA on wine, thats windowed and the speed is native. so i dont need such a tool, but i think this tool would be very popular.
i would now hate to miss windowed worms because im having 2 screens and both screens are bussy while playing worms, one of them mosltly shows tv.
if worms dont run windowed it would grab both screens and turn one black.

robowurmz
22 Aug 2008, 16:52
Exactly. Wine is great because it stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator, hence native speed. It's a pity there isn't an effective way to do this for Windows users.

lookias
22 Aug 2008, 19:31
Exactly. Wine is great because it stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator, hence native speed. It's a pity there isn't an effective way to do this for Windows users.

emulating a whole pc for windowed wa is effective, but its not efficient. in simple words, thats like shooting birds with atomic bombs.

another solution without virtualization would be to run wine on andlinux (i never tried it).
http://www.andlinux.org/

but to be honest.. if your familar with a linux distro you would simply boot it and play worms windowed with wine.
for other games (which dont run on wine) you could still reboot to windows by using dual boot.

MadEwokHerd
22 Aug 2008, 23:43
When I compared the framerates of VirtualBox and Wine running WA, Wine was only a little bit better. Palette translation is expensive.