PDA

View Full Version : .29 Problem + Suggestion

knkn
14 Aug 2008, 06:14
Noticed the menus are a bit faster, but right before I go past it [ie. Main Menu > Multiplayer (Offline)] there's a slight discoloration of the graphics. Also, the offline map editor is an absolute mess - every image is 'cached' I guess, so the editor is full of previous menu, and full of lag.

As for the suggestion hopefully that could be implemented into the next update, has anyone ever tried roping with the home button held down? Yes it's kinda primitive right now, but that's the thing. If dead/cyber could make it where the home button didn't affect normal button pressing [seems to interfere; try it] and made a hotkey to keep it enable [ie. Crtl + Home], it'd be greatly appreciated.

[UFP]Ghost
14 Aug 2008, 06:20
As for the suggestion hopefully that could be implemented into the next update, has anyone ever tried roping with the home button held down? Yes it's kinda primitive right now, but that's the thing. If dead/cyber could make it where the home button didn't affect normal button pressing [seems to interfere; try it] and made a hotkey to keep it enable [ie. Crtl + Home], it'd be greatly appreciated.

On another note I know it's been answered before but not sure where, why when you hold down 2 arrow keys can you not use a third or a simultaneous button limit?

knkn
14 Aug 2008, 06:21
I'd agree if the button limit was fixed, maybe then the only thing we'd need is the hotkey :D

CyberShadow
14 Aug 2008, 06:33
Noticed the menus are a bit faster, but right before I go past it [ie. Main Menu > Multiplayer (Offline)] there's a slight discoloration of the graphics. Also, the offline map editor is an absolute mess - every image is 'cached' I guess, so the editor is full of previous menu, and full of lag.Sounds like a video driver problem. Did you try updating?

As for the button limitation - the problem is with your keyboard. And yes, this really has been discussed many times in this forum.

knkn
14 Aug 2008, 06:46
I'll look into it, nVidia Quatro or something 135M. So the home button isn't likely?

GreeN
14 Aug 2008, 11:13
If it's of any use to you, there are many free macro utilities which could temporarily allow for such use of the Home key.

bonz
14 Aug 2008, 16:25
knkn, for your keyboard button problem check out this keyboard compatibility list to find out which keyboards allow multiple/all buttons pressed simultaneously:
http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33321

Most people have the problem with their cursor keys and space button though when roping.

knkn
14 Aug 2008, 16:50
If it's of any use to you, there are many free macro utilities which could temporarily allow for such use of the Home key.

That's what I thought about, but had problems finding on google. Thing is, it's almost like Worms has something to do with the multiple button pressing, not just my keyboard. But then again, it IS a laptop @ bonz.

yakuza
14 Aug 2008, 18:05
But then again, it IS a laptop @ bonz.

It doesn't have USB slots? Worms has no issues with multi button pressing, at least not more than Windows, Minesweeper or Xubuntu. It's your keyboard. Either learn to cope with it, get a keyboard without keylock or remap your space bar to right shift (works well with numepad 0 as f8), or be creative, I don't know.

MihaiS
14 Aug 2008, 21:00
Behold!.... Dude, get an USB keyboard (the cheapest) and reconfigure your layout as following:

http://www.flash-bug.com/_NoobArseKickin/_Config.png

Your game-play may improve and I assure you that you'll never experience key-lock ever again.
This way you use your left hand for space, shift and tab and your right hand for movement, jumping, rope/chute selecting. =)

yakuza
14 Aug 2008, 21:18
Or just get a Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro (which includes both usb and ps/2) which I can guarantee has no keylock and works like a charm for roping.

bonz
14 Aug 2008, 23:55
get an USB keyboard (the cheapest)
No no no!
Having an USB keyboard doesn't necessarily mean that it won't have any keylocks!

IIRC, there a few rather expensive USB ones on that compatibility list that do have a keylock.

Best tips:
Buy from a quality brand like Logitech and Microsoft
Don't buy the cheapest keyboard, go for the mid-range price

Also, check the list before you buy.
If your model isn't on the list, you should ask if you can test it prior to purchase.

[UFP]Ghost
15 Aug 2008, 00:12
I don't really want to awaken an old thread so i'll post it here but the Microsoft Wireless Multimedia Keyboard 1.1 is keylock free.

bonz
15 Aug 2008, 01:01
Ghost;665072']I don't really want to awaken an old thread so i'll post it here but the Microsoft Wireless Multimedia Keyboard 1.1 is keylock free.
No!
Post it in the compatibility list thread! That's its sole purpose.

MihaiS
15 Aug 2008, 05:54
No no no!
Having an USB keyboard doesn't necessarily mean that it won't have any keylocks!

But having it configured as I show does not generate key-locks (I have tried the configuration on several different keyboards).
EDIT: Key-lock does not depend on key values. There is a key-lock pattern.

franpa
15 Aug 2008, 06:59
it is dependent on how the keyboard is wired and the logic chip. contact the manufacturor before purchasing a keyboard is the best way to know about keylocks.

KRD
15 Aug 2008, 14:50
There is a key-lock pattern.

... that is different depending on the internal design of the keyboard you're using. I doubt any one remapping takes care of all keyboards in existence. You must have tested it on a bunch of keyboards that were basically the same, just looked differently and had a different logo on them. That happens a lot in hardware, most notably perhaps in LCD panels.

MihaiS
15 Aug 2008, 17:50
EDIT: Key-lock does not depend on key values. There is a key-lock pattern.

... that is different depending on the internal design of the keyboard you're using.

I'm not saying there is an universal key-lock pattern, but a pattern, and that it does not depend on key values (i.e. logical value).
And, having NUM_1, NUM_2, NUM_3 and NUM_5 remapped to the corresponding directional keys and Caps Lock as Space does not produce key-lock on at least 3 different laptops, 5 different PS/2 and 2 different USB keyboards, regardless the fact that they may or may not produce key-lock with their default configuration.

Muzer
15 Aug 2008, 18:23
Pressing any numpad key and numpad 0 on my keyboard makes it lock. So fail.

MihaiS
15 Aug 2008, 18:42

Well, I was talking about using NUMPAD_1/2/3/5 with Caps Lock. Anyway, I quit, as I have nothing more to say regarding this issue.

KRD
15 Aug 2008, 19:05

I don't even have a numpad. :(

knkn
15 Aug 2008, 21:00
<- Lazy. Tired of searching on google - can't find a good query. Since I'm on a laptop, with no numpad on the right, is there a possible way to remap [link me to free program plz] the keyboard temporarily for worms, or is my only way outta this is to buy an external keyboard?

MihaiS
15 Aug 2008, 21:54
<- Lazy. Tired of searching on google - can't find a good query. Since I'm on a laptop, with no numpad on the right, is there a possible way to remap [link me to free program plz] the keyboard temporarily for worms, or is my only way outta this is to buy an external keyboard?

Since it's not logical values that produce key-locks, remapping a block of keys to NUMAP keys is not going to help. Dude, buy a cheap wireless or not standard keyboard.

franpa
16 Aug 2008, 01:29
wireless are worse then wired.

[UFP]Ghost
16 Aug 2008, 01:38
keytweak does it but you gotta restart after changes.
wireless are worse then wired.
I disagree, I hate my wireless mouse and replaced that but i do like the wireless keyboard. whats wrong with a wireless keyboard?

KRD
16 Aug 2008, 16:41
Ghost;665264']I disagree, I hate my wireless mouse and replaced that but i do like the wireless keyboard. whats wrong with a wireless keyboard?

Pressing a key has a more or less noticeably delayed response time. It may not be bad enough for it to be an issue when doing most things, but it certainly pays to go with a wired keyboard if you intend to play roping schemes on Worms. I say this based on the experience of those who have tried quality keyboards from both camps, though I never had a wireless one myself. I know better. :p